Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Darkness: Development Stops, 50+ Atlanta Studio Employees Released

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

CCP Games has announced the cessation of production on World of Darkness. As a result of the stoppage, over fifty employees in CCP's Atlanta-based studio have lost their jobs. Remaining staff will be assigned to other positions on existing titles.

CCP CEO Hilmar Veigar Pétursson:

The decision to end the World of Darkness MMO project is one of the hardest I’ve ever had to make. I have always loved and valued the idea of a sandbox experience set in that universe, and over the years I’ve watched the team passionately strive to make that possible.

I would like to give special thanks to everyone who worked so hard to make the World of Darkness MMO a reality, especially the team members affected by this decision.  Their considerable contribution to CCP will not be forgotten, and we wish them well.

To our current and former employees and fans of World of Darkness, I am truly sorry that we could not deliver the experience that we aspired to make.  We dreamed of a game that would transport you completely into the sweeping fantasy of World of Darkness, but had to admit that our efforts were falling regretfully short.  One day I hope we will make it up to you.

Although this was a tough decision that affects our friends and family, uniting the company behind the EVE Universe will put us in a stronger position moving forward, and we are more committed than ever to solidify EVE as the biggest gaming universe in the world.

Source: CCP Press Release

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

Sad but expectable.

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    Honestly? I think we all had this notion in the back of our mind. They were obviously struggling with it over the years.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896
    Not overly surprising, but very, very sad. I was really looking forward to another crack at a horror themed MMO ( besides The Secret World). Kinda bummed.

• RazephonRazephon Member UncommonPosts: 628

To be honest its very sad. But I can't say I didn't expect this given how much time they've been working on it and actually ended up delivering. 

I know a lot of people had been waiting for this as a last hope for MMOs, but I guess that hope is now lost.

Currently waiting for the MMO industry to put out something good.
  • ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

Bad news :_(

I was awaiting for this MMO so badly :(

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782
    Gutted, really was the only upcoming mmorpg I was looking forward to. I think we had to see this coming though but was still hoping they would pull it out of the fire. Maybe it's for the best, probably better not to release at all than release another pile of unfinished rubbish for £40 a pop that doesn't do it's IP justice.  Engage sad face image
  • AragoniAragoni Member UncommonPosts: 384
    No words can explain how fucking mad and sad I am. 
  • BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

Another sandbox bites the dust even before release. image

EQN is all i got now for a AAA sandbox experince.

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813
    This is sad news.  I was especially interested in seeing where this collaborative effort between CCP and White Wolf would go.  I had relatively high hopes considering CCP's dedication to EVE.  Very unfortunate decision.  For those well that lost their jobs due to this decision, I wish them well.
  • alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301
    They could have tried some kind of crowdfunding I guess

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

not surprised,I am know that has to happen

ccp cant make one more great game,they should stick with Eve only

• black_isleblack_isle Member UncommonPosts: 256

Yeah not surprised but still incredibly disappointed. Even more because CCP owns the ip and will probably let it rot instead of licensing to another developer for games, mmo or not.

I just want another WoD game in the vein of Bloodlines, which is one of the best games ever made. I don't care if it's mmo or not.

• HarafnirHarafnir Member UncommonPosts: 1,350
    So... Nothing to look forward to then? That was the only future project of interest. CCP and WoD together... That such a company only have one project, for a very specific group of people is so damn sad.

"This is not a game to be tossed aside lightly.
    It should be thrown with great force"

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

It makes me wonder "what the heck were they doing all this time".

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

Another sandbox bites the dust even before release. image

EQN is all i got now for a AAA sandbox experince.

Unfortunately, I see EQN, not as a sandbox but a "Build-Your-Own" Theme Park.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but I think SWG is probably the best foundation (conceptually) for what a sandbox should be.

• brihtwulfbrihtwulf Member UncommonPosts: 975
    Haven't they been working on this title for over 5 years now?  How were they not closer to some kind of beta testing?  I'm curious what the decision behind this is.  Is CCP losing money overall?  Do they feel the game isn't marketable in the highly over-saturated MMO market?  Regardless, it's sad news.  The industry needs more variety.
  • JaggaSpikesJaggaSpikes Member UncommonPosts: 430
    well, frak :(
  • ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    I don't think CCp is that big of a company to begin with so trying to work on EVE and Dust 514 was probably a lot for them to handle. I bet working on WOD just made things impossible to do.
  • hardiconhardicon Member UncommonPosts: 335
    Cant say I didn't see this coming but I had some hopes for this game.  The mmo is just about dead to me now.  I cant see myself playing any of the games out right now, nor the ones about to come out.  Gaming in general is just the same old crap with a new skin over and over again.  Call of duty clones, wow clones, sports game clones.  Nothing new has happened to online gaming or videogames in general for at least 10 years.  New skins but same old gameplay done the exact same way, same type of worlds, same type of endgame for mmos, get to max level and go raid till your eyes bleed or be a peon with crap gear. 
  • seafirexseafirex Member UncommonPosts: 419

Ouch very sad, was looking forward to it. Another thing that suprise me was the fact they only had 50 or so dev on this????

Edit : Seriously? I had watch the trailer and the graphic was just too much, i was under the impression they where at least 100+ devs on this project. It was so nice and the concept was amazing.

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Originally posted by brihtwulf
    Haven't they been working on this title for over 5 years now?  How were they not closer to some kind of beta testing?  I'm curious what the decision behind this is.  Is CCP losing money overall?  Do they feel the game isn't marketable in the highly over-saturated MMO market?  Regardless, it's sad news.  The industry needs more variety.

Dust 514 flopped pretty bad and I guess they didn't want to risk their company by making a huge investment on a risky sandbox and decided to cut their losses instead.

Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791

Well that is sad news , I didn't know much about it but what I read sounded really good. I guess Otherland is in the same boat. Hate all these great sounding games being cancelled. The agency was another one , Huxley , true Fantasy Live. O well , here's too PSO2 and Destiny.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Shaigh
    Originally posted by brihtwulf

Dust 514 flopped pretty bad and I guess they didn't want to risk their company by making a huge investment on a risky sandbox and decided to cut their losses instead.

Dust 514 failed before it even began tbh, even within Eve itself nobody really cares about it, for the most part i wouldn't be surprised if most have even forgotten it exists, whether it would have been saved if the game was PC as well as PS3 is debatable, maybe it would have drawn in more people, but it was a bit 'titanfailesque' too few players in too small an area, with other shooters already providing a superior experience. But WoD was something we all wanted, that its no longer being developed is a travesty, i can only hope at some point in the future, that CCP are able to continue the development again. i can only hope. image

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    I was watching twitch stream of EVE groundbreaking(or space breaking?) PvP event. streamer was in loading for like 30 mins and when the loading finished his entire fleet was nothing but scrap metal floating on space. Good game!!! If EVE is CCP's best production i am glad they are not developing WoD MMO. Even Cryptic Games is better than them, i never thought i would ever say this but wish PWE now buys off mmo rights for WoD and let cryptic make a story driven WoD game.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

yah didnt see this coming..

<.<

and  venturing into new systems(ps4) tbh was a mistake, CCp should of stuck with pc games and branched out existing games into consoles...like - really guys? dev 101.

these 50+ devs should knock on funcom door!-  they can work on TSW!!!- and get more content out!!!