Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FFXIV over WoW...is it worth my time?

13»

Comments

• Colt47Colt47 Member UncommonPosts: 549
    Originally posted by drivendawn
    I like the all classes on one character thing , the in depth crafting, the fact that crafting and gathering are classes and the well writen and deep story all of which in my opinion WoW doesn't have.

The story isn't really that deep.  It's mostly bad guys being bad guys, with them throwing in random moments of "oh we aren't bad guys, we just oppose all life as you know it and enjoy exploiting stupid people." If we had the power to, I'd go blow up the chosen crystal or do something else interesting.  Anything to get off the railroad that is the end game loot grind or possibly generate some kind of interesting event to get involved in.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Played FFXIV for almost two months and then went back to WOW in anticipation of new character models and garrisons. Maybe in next 4 to 5 years FFXIV will be the game where i can stay for more than couple of months but right now it is not that game.
  • GravehillGravehill Member Posts: 95

The only difference between 1~30 and 30~50 is the dungeon difficulty. The game mechanics are mostly the same.....in dungeons you kill boss, dodge red circles, spam optimal rotations, and so on. In 30~50 you kill harder boss, dodge harder red circles, and your rotation gets longer. 30~50 doesn't change anything, just gets harder.

If you're into other aspects of MMO that's more than kill fodder, dodge red circle, spam optimal rotations then you won't get much from this game. This game has PVP/housing/crafting but none of those aspects are done better than other titles.

What MMOs do housing and crafting better than this game?

Originally posted by Colt47
    I like the all classes on one character thing , the in depth crafting, the fact that crafting and gathering are classes and the well writen and deep story all of which in my opinion WoW doesn't have.

The story isn't really that deep.  It's mostly bad guys being bad guys, with them throwing in random moments of "oh we aren't bad guys, we just oppose all life as you know it and enjoy exploiting stupid people." If we had the power to, I'd go blow up the chosen crystal or do something else interesting.  Anything to get off the railroad that is the end game loot grind or possibly generate some kind of interesting event to get involved in.

Well I did say in my opinion. Also you can simplify any story by saying its the same old good vs evil thing.

Yeah I am probably over simplifying it.  I think the reason I went that route in the discussion is because the story is fairly generic, so it comes off as being simple.  Right now I'm at my limit on playing the game since it feels like patch 2.2 was a complete bomb of incompetence from the development team.  If they want to keep people playing the game, they really can't afford to do lockouts on wings of content like they are with Bahamuts coil and the other fights.  Not to mention the grinder they've turned end game into with Atma and somehow, even the easter event.  I've never wanted to skip a seasonal event before until I got to see how they implemented this one.

I had hopes for this game as much as anyone else who played the Beta 3 and 4, but unless the developers actually provide something interesting beyond the main story stuff and the Hildabrande quests this is going to start turning into another Tortanic. 

Well I did say in my opinion. Also you can simplify any story by saying its the same old good vs evil thing.

Yeah I am probably over simplifying it.  I think the reason I went that route in the discussion is because the story is fairly generic, so it comes off as being simple.  Right now I'm at my limit on playing the game since it feels like patch 2.2 was a complete bomb of incompetence from the development team.  If they want to keep people playing the game, they really can't afford to do lockouts on wings of content like they are with Bahamuts coil and the other fights.  Not to mention the grinder they've turned end game into with Atma and somehow, even the easter event.  I've never wanted to skip a seasonal event before until I got to see how they implemented this one.

I had hopes for this game as much as anyone else who played the Beta 3 and 4, but unless the developers actually provide something interesting beyond the main story stuff and the Hildabrande quests this is going to start turning into another Tortanic. 

Well for me its the way and how well the story is written. I can understand your frustration with the road blocks to content and the grind for atma. However I like what its done for the open world content, it's made it worth playing again that and challenge logs. Its also given me a long term goal and with all the new gil I'm making I have hope for housing now. Two words "Seals" and "Potash". :)

Yeah, among the good that came with the patch was the new dungeons and the random distribution of the level 70 item materials.   Also if someone isn't tired of them yet, their are new beastman dailies to grind out.  I just wish they would put something worthwhile at the end of the month long journey to max reputation.  120k for a new mount just isn't worth it.