Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Time to kill off WoW and give us something NEW

13»

Comments

• GrummusGrummus Member UncommonPosts: 151

WoW has tainted the whole genre.

Look at the pile of horrible MMO's based around it's design philosophy (Easy goals, spoon feeding instead of education, training), yet lacking in a proper amount of content to hold even a casual player base.

There will never be another proper MMO with a real, stable playerbase, nor will they be able to turn WoW around. Killing it off the rest of the way will change nothing.

It's as if McDonald's was the only restaurant in a large town, people ate BigMacs three meals a day, everyday. While not the best burger in the world; overall? They enjoyed them.

These other businesses see the success, the potential in selling their own BigMacs, they want a piece of the McDonald's moneyfactory; Suddenly there are a dozen other restaurants selling very similar burgers using various qualities of material. Some have great buns, but bad cheese, some have perfect meat patties, but terrible buns and toppings.

No other so far have got it quite right due to budget reasons, inexperience or simply not being intelligent enough to read the market and buckle down, producing what's needed to entice and HOLD a consumer base. Let alone have they realized that after eating BigMacs for so long that nobody (even the really casual consumers) wants more burgers, and as tired as they are of BigMacs, they're comfortable, stagnant and wary of the change to something potentially better, more rewarding, such as pizza, fried chicken or even sea food.

They new restaurant chains and corporations are too afraid to step out of the established, "proven" formula for success known as marketing burgers. This fear will never allow them to open a steak house for example, with the expectation that too many will find the idea of cutting their food or adding steak sauce before consumption will be too much work, thus driving them away, cementing in place the failure of the venture before it's first quarter.

I know nobody will read this, why did I put so much thought into it?
  • ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459
    Originally posted by Keylogger_007

WoW has tainted the whole genre.

Look at the pile of horrible MMO's based around it's design philosophy (Easy goals, spoon feeding instead of education, training), yet lacking in a proper amount of content to hold even a casual player base.

There will never be another proper MMO with a real, stable playerbase, nor will they be able to turn WoW around. Killing it off the rest of the way will change nothing.

It's as if McDonald's was the only restaurant in a large town, people ate BigMacs three meals a day, everyday. While not the best burger in the world; overall? They enjoyed them.

These other businesses see the success, the potential in selling their own BigMacs, they want a piece of the McDonald's moneyfactory; Suddenly there are a dozen other restaurants selling very similar burgers using various qualities of material. Some have great buns, but bad cheese, some have perfect meat patties, but terrible buns and toppings.

No other so far have got it quite right due to budget reasons, inexperience or simply not being intelligent enough to read the market and buckle down, producing what's needed to entice and HOLD a consumer base. Let alone have they realized that after eating BigMacs for so long that nobody (even the really casual consumers) wants more burgers, and as tired as they are of BigMacs, they're comfortable, stagnant and wary of the change to something potentially better, more rewarding, such as pizza, fried chicken or even sea food.

They new restaurant chains and corporations are too afraid to step out of the established, "proven" formula for success known as marketing burgers. This fear will never allow them to open a steak house for example, with the expectation that too many will find the idea of cutting their food or adding steak sauce before consumption will be too much work, thus driving them away, cementing in place the failure of the venture before it's first quarter.

I know nobody will read this, why did I put so much thought into it?

Read, but it is a bit mixed up as you blame wow for tainting the genre and then go on to explain how everyone elses inability to be original is the problem.

You cannot blame Blizzard and WoW for being successful and there were bound to be those that would try and copy that success, but you do have to look at the rest of the industry and ask why they cannot come up with something original of their own (not that WoW was hugely original in itself). I think GW2 got pretty close, but let themselves down by rushing the release and poor support of it's users.

There are those who have some success doing something different like EVE, but have pushed themsleves in to a niche market.

The McDonalds analogy just doesn't wash these days either in the way you are putting it, people are probably more aware of the food they eat than they have ever been which in the UK at least has lead to every town centre and city centre being filled with a plethora of different fast food choices from the healthy to the crazy. So maybe what the gaming community needs is an awareness of what it wants rather than just saying what it doesn't want because if the developers knew what to aim for they could produce a much better targetted game.

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by Kaneth
    Originally posted by Robokapp
    Originally posted by mrputts
    Originally posted by Tibernicuspa

WoW has never EVER in its entire run offered anything new or unique.

Why should we kill it for doing what its been doing when that never seemed to bother people before?

Would  you agree that even though what WoW did was nothing new. To the millions of players that never played an MMO it was new. 

your argument makes me think of this: "to the billions of people who never went on a plane flight, the earth is flat..."

you are stating a non-fact that you know is a non-fact as a fact and backing it up by the fact that it's a popular non-fact.

WoW certainly was the first mmo to many, myself included. But while you playing wow was something new to you, WoW itself didn't do anything new.

Depends on your definition of new. Blizzard certainly innovated on the previous MMO model by basically removing the tons of camping that was required to level in previous mmos. EQ2 did this before WOW, the game was released before WOW so Blizzard were not the first to remove the need for camping.

While quests are just another version of a mob grind, there is at least some purpose to it, and the questing system broke up the boring sit in a spot for hours killing a camp of mobs and waiting for respawn system that was in place in many mmos. It wasn't the first mmo that was solo friendly, but it certainly took the ability to solo into mainstream albeit with mixed results.  Again EQ2 did this before WOW, they introduced questing with marked npc's and solo questing before WOW.

Honestly, the "new" of WoW was that so many great systems were brought together under a single roof. Additionally, while EverQuest was certainly becoming mainstream (I remember starting to see movie and tv references to EQ pre-WoW), WoW really took the genre into the mainstream. Again, with mixed results.

I'd say the evolution of the genre that happened with WoW was certainly new. Nope the evolution came with EQ2, the game was out before WOW.

People forget that it was EQ2 that changed your classic mmo's into what we see today, Blizzard missed out by 2 weeks to lay any claims.

EQ2 the father of themepark mmo's by releasing two weeks before WOW.

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon

Why should we kill it for doing what its been doing when that never seemed to bother people before?

Would  you agree that even though what WoW did was nothing new. To the millions of players that never played an MMO it was new. 

your argument makes me think of this: "to the billions of people who never went on a plane flight, the earth is flat..."

you are stating a non-fact that you know is a non-fact as a fact and backing it up by the fact that it's a popular non-fact.

WoW certainly was the first mmo to many, myself included. But while you playing wow was something new to you, WoW itself didn't do anything new.

Depends on your definition of new. Blizzard certainly innovated on the previous MMO model by basically removing the tons of camping that was required to level in previous mmos. EQ2 did this before WOW, the game was released before WOW so Blizzard were not the first to remove the need for camping.

While quests are just another version of a mob grind, there is at least some purpose to it, and the questing system broke up the boring sit in a spot for hours killing a camp of mobs and waiting for respawn system that was in place in many mmos. It wasn't the first mmo that was solo friendly, but it certainly took the ability to solo into mainstream albeit with mixed results.  Again EQ2 did this before WOW, they introduced questing with marked npc's and solo questing before WOW.

Honestly, the "new" of WoW was that so many great systems were brought together under a single roof. Additionally, while EverQuest was certainly becoming mainstream (I remember starting to see movie and tv references to EQ pre-WoW), WoW really took the genre into the mainstream. Again, with mixed results.

I'd say the evolution of the genre that happened with WoW was certainly new. Nope the evolution came with EQ2, the game was out before WOW.

People forget that it was EQ2 that changed your classic mmo's into what we see today, Blizzard missed out by 2 weeks to lay any claims.

SOE started to change those stuff after wow beta lifted nda and videos of new sort of mmorpg gameplay became viral. and then they released the "new evolution of eq"; eq2, just a few week before's wow's release to keep their playerbase. but they failed horribly simply because these changes they made were against everything they promised players and not only that; for these changes to happen they had to completely change gameplay of starting zones and they even removed 2(or was it 3) starting areas just to suit those changes. know your fact before posting. 

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by mbrodie

lol what...

WoW streamlined questing not new, made a more accessable game to greater quantities of people not new, introduced tools that are considered to ruin communities and a slew of other things that people have come along and copied... that wasnt taken from ultima, muds, everquest, shadowbane etc... no, they were taken from other online games

but clearly, they did nothing new EVER

You prove my point.

Ok lets try.

Which MMO before WoW was questing based? How many quests did that MMO have? 100? 200? Could you level up solely on quests? 

Which MMO allowed any class to solo to max level?

Which MMO had talent trees?

Which MMO had extensive addon support?

Which MMO had rested state?

Which MMO had battlegrounds?

Which MMO had flying mounts? Also an MMO which introduced flying mounts AFTER WoW did doesn't count even if it has an earlier release date.

Which MMO had a dungeon and/or raid finder?

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by SwampDragons
    So you got bored and then they should kill wow? lol

That's pretty much the way a lot of gamers think - especially MMO gamers.

"The game doesn't interest me, so it shouldn't exist". 

There's a lot of truth to it when people describe (modern) MMO gamers as having a self-entitled attitude. OP is just one of many.

• Vector_ArrowVector_Arrow Member Posts: 18

Yeah, I'm sure they want to kill the most popular MMO on the market to please your needs of something new.

They are already making something new and they made the clear, but in the mean time they will not just kill this game off.

If you owned WoW, would you kill it off and lose all of that revenue? You should be in their "socks" before you say they should kill this game off.

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809

If Blizzard had left the challenge of TBC and earlier to the leveling content my wife and I would still be playing. We loved making new characters and leveling in wow which was ruined with patches during WOTLK. Let alone the account gear that made battlegrounds a joke while leveling.

If pulling the plug on Wow and making a new MMO would bring that back I'm all for it. :)

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon

I love these gaming "hipsters" that always come in and name some other game when you talk about "who did what first". Heaven forbid you mention Minecraft shows how successful sandbox can be, and someone comes along and starts chiming in with Wurm Online. Like Wurm was even remotely popular.

Like Savage said, EQ2 came out two weeks before WoW and had next to no influence on the game at launch. WoW was such a massive success that EQ2 was all but forgotten by a large portion of the gaming community at the time. Sure, it had it's own success, but WoW is the behemoth.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by Greymantle4

If Blizzard had left the challenge of TBC and earlier to the leveling content my wife and I would still be playing. We loved making new characters and leveling in wow which was ruined with patches during WOTLK. Let alone the account gear that made battlegrounds a joke while leveling.

If pulling the plug on Wow and making a new MMO would bring that back I'm all for it. :)

You know, I agree to a point. Leveling was much more challenging pre-wotlk, but did that make it more fun? If leveling in a small group, hell yeah, especially since you could do so many of those elite quests. As a soloer, there were tons of areas people had to forget about due to the amount of elites. Not all classes were able to solo elites. If there would have been the cross realm zone tech available, they might have been able to leave in many of those elite quests, but CRZ came well after.

Blizzard has basically remade their leveling system twice after launch. First, they turned all of the elite quests into quests that were soloable. Second, when they completely revamped 1-60. It may not have been the best changes in term of challenge, but at least they tried to make things more interesting for those who still level alts.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    like poster #2 said, replace it with what? everything that comes out offers  less and with less quality/polishing for the same price. So yeah.... WoW is still doing just fine.

• GrummusGrummus Member UncommonPosts: 151
    EQ2 has five times the content, gameplay elements and potential for time investment and fun than WOW does.

They really, really turned it around from 2008 until it's current state.

One thing they never bothered to fix or improve was the horrible 3D Engine, which is KIND OF A BIG DEAL.
  • JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519

Try a different MMO, there are a lot of good ones out there.

A little late on April Fools.

• ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785
    I would kill Wow, too, but there is 0 other that would keep me interested to play as Wow doing.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Keylogger_007
    EQ2 has five times the content, gameplay elements and potential for time investment and fun than WOW does. They really, really turned it around from 2008 until it's current state. One thing they never bothered to fix or improve was the horrible 3D Engine, which is KIND OF A BIG DEAL.

EQ2 is sadly lacking in those qualities, sure the graphics are dated, but the game engine isn't all that good either, the game has so much instancing due to the game being unable to support all that many people in a zone at the same time, that it also really hurts gameplay. EQ1 had, for its time at least, a massive following, but they didn't move onto EQ2, for good reason, EQ2 lacked the gameplay elements of EQ1, and that at the time was a huge thing, so much so that SOE tried 'redefining' the game several times since, but all thats happened is that the game now lacks any real identity of its own. F2P didn't actually help either. Vanguard was better than EQ2, from the game world itself, to the character classes you could choose in that sense alone it was more of a successor to EQ1 than EQ2 was, if the game had actually been finished properly i doubt EQ2 would even still be running. Content wise though, i don't see how you can say that EQ2 has more of it than WoW, after playing both games (and EQ1 for a very long time!) WoW just has so much more to it, it is the better game, imo at least and probably in the eyes of millions of others if even half of things Blizzard has managed to put into WoW is anything to go by, which for many, it probably is. image

• rafalex007rafalex007 Member Posts: 244
    no acctully even the dumped down wow that we have now is more then enough for today mmo whinner we hate everything new yet we ask for it and we call our self gamer <<<< yup this thire name
  • MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

Originally posted by mbrodie

lol what...

WoW streamlined questing not new, made a more accessable game to greater quantities of people not new, introduced tools that are considered to ruin communities and a slew of other things that people have come along and copied... that wasnt taken from ultima, muds, everquest, shadowbane etc... no, they were taken from other online games

but clearly, they did nothing new EVER

You prove my point.

WoW did indeed streamline questing and made MMORPGs more accessible to new people. They used their popular IP to do so. The amount of players who joined the MMORPG genre increased greatly after WoW's release and made the MMORPG genre more widely known not just to gamers but to the general public. MMORPGs were not nearly as big population or reputation-wise before WoW. Prior to WoW, MMORPGs were seen as arcane and only for a niche group of gamers. So in that sense you are wrong.

Originally posted by fivoroth

Ok lets try.

Which MMO before WoW was questing based? How many quests did that MMO have? 100? 200? Could you level up solely on quests? 

He is thinking of EQ2. The quests though were not similar to WoW because in WoW you had mainly solo quests whereas in EQ2 many of the quests past the starter isle were only doable in groups. I would say that no MMO before WoW was solo quest-based.

Which MMO allowed any class to solo to max level?

Which MMO had talent trees?

Which MMO had extensive addon support?

Which MMO had rested state?

Which MMO had battlegrounds?

A different sort of battleground existed in DAoC. Granted, they were level-limited keeps for the most part. They were not instanced and were not time-limited and had no scoring.

Which MMO had flying mounts? Also an MMO which introduced flying mounts AFTER WoW did doesn't count even if it has an earlier release date.

AO had flying mounts prior to WoW's release.

Which MMO had a dungeon and/or raid finder?

I would also put down some of the classes in WoW as being innovative. There is nothing quite like the Druid with its metamorphs and its quadruple roles prior to WoW. There were Druids in other games, but they usually seemed to be healers with a dash of DoTs and root spells and maybe a pet or one shapeshift form. I could go on here, but you guys get the idea.

The other thing that was pretty new were instanced dungeons that were only open to the group doing them. AO offered team missions that were pretty similar except that they tended to be very routine, with only a couple of map styles, mob types, etc. and were randomized. Blizzard expanded on that idea and made full-fledged dungeons with their own storylines and specific loot tables. This can also be said for raids. In previous games, both raids and dungeons were open to everyone, which caused no shortage of drama if people from rival groups were vying over bosses and loot.

I also think (though not entirely sure) that the need/greed/pass/enchant rolling system was a Blizzard creation too.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• greymanicgreymanic Member UncommonPosts: 25
    Originally posted by mark2123

Yes WoW still has plenty of subscribers, but Blizzard are lazy in terms of what thet are giving out for our money.  WoW was very original ten or so years ago, but now, with the same graphics and each expansion just more of the same dungeons and mechanics, more fetch quests and very little innovation, isn't it time for Blizzard to do the decent thing and replace the game with something fresh and give the players something to move towards; a new level of game to gravitate to?

I used to be a WoW fanboy and I have owned all the expansions, but it's tired now, going through the same content again and again with new characters, or getting gear for it all to be replaced and starting over as soon as a patch comes out - which is no more that a re-iteration of what's gone before.

By simply churning out endless expansions for nothing more than cash i.e. if they cared, they'd sack it asap because they would have built a new, Next Gen MMO, it keeps the industry lazy.

There really is little or no innovation, just a different way of doing the same old thing.  Very few technologies change so little over 10 years than MMOs have.  Kill 10 of these and fetch 10 of those - that's essentially what we keep getting.

Come on Blizzard, you are the MMO giant.  Pull your socks up and do something new, instead of more tired expansions of the game that people are only playing out of habit, sentiment and a lack of real competition.

Speaking of new, how about not posting the same complaints that bored players have been since 2008?  There's nothing keeping the rest of the industry lazy... they just are.  There's been nothing original since wow, only enhancements which wow easily adepts to or improves on.  As they envy wow's success they can't help but produce greedy clones.  If you don't have something new, blame the fact that you try to play too much and the fact that no other game has been good enough to kill wow.  You think just doing quests differently will keep you playing? As soon as they don't make it simple enough for you to level you'll be complaining about that.  There are plenty of quests that don't involve killing.  But people like fighting with their char.... it's the whole point to the game.  Maybe they'll come out with World of Crocheting for you.  There was something about building keeps in next expansion... you can farm currently.  Go for it.  Graphics? I think there's something about more detailed chars.

What you're really craving for is the experience of wow's debut. Not happening again.  They took a much loved IP and revolutionized the mmo genre.  It's like waiting for the planets to align again or something.

• BlackWatchBlackWatch Member UncommonPosts: 972

Maybe the customer base needs to be upgraded?

Nuke and pave the entire MMO landscape.

Delete the sense of entitlement that most people (myself included) have from time to time.  

Kill off the Alpha and BETA access.

Stop with the spoilers before the games launch.

Reboot or Roll the industry back to before there were 100's of titles in the MMO landscape.

Maybe then... we'll have the same sense of amazement when a title launches.

In short:

You're essentially asking for your virginity back.

queue track - 

Foreigner: Feels Like the First Time

• BeelzebobbieBeelzebobbie Member UncommonPosts: 430
    World of warcraft has been killed off so many times allready. it's just that the players stayed and they will never leave their game.
  • AngztAngzt Member Posts: 230
    as soon you give people something new or different, all they do is complain that they dont have their precious WoW features. last example: ESO - "where is my AH?" "i want my mini map!" "i want more UI" blablablablaaaa.

"believe me, mike.. i calculated the odds of this working against the odds that i was doing something incredibly stupid… and i did it anyway!"