Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Here is to Hoping Wildstar and ESO are both great successes!

KamofilaKamofila Member UncommonPosts: 116

I think everyone on this site, no matter if you play Wildstar, ESO, WOW or any other mmorpg, all of us i hope are wanting both of these games to be a success.  If you are like me and believe the mmorpg market has become a bit stale recently, if any games have a chance to breathe new life into this community, ESO and WS are the two.   Sure other good looking mmorpgs are on the horizon, but how many have we gone through in the last couple years that have at the end of the day become all talk and no substance?

I personally, after playing both extensively, am going with Wildstar at at this point in time and have no plans to purchase ESO. But i love that people are loving ESO, its got people excited (like most mmos do in the first month of launch) but i truly hope it lasts and does well.  So much sniping and trolling on these forums makes me almost believe the majority of mmo players are now sociopaths. I sure hope iI am wrong. We need more positivity in this bitch!

Do you like lollipops? Suck it. Don't bite you greedy twit.

Comments

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Well, I didn't vote...here is why,

I'm hoping for success for mmos.

1)  A sub fee instead of F2P ( I would like to see F2P go away )

2)  A real mmo not just a game ( I'm tired of games that are solo games that you play on line )

- ESO is a great game, that has a sub. But it's hard to group. ( I'm playing it now, and having fun )

- Wildstar is too obnoxious and crazy.  Now that is no big deal to each their own. But the quest are way too short, this makes it hard to play with others.

Both games above need far better tools to make them mmos.

Just because two games are main stream now, doesn't necessarily get my vote.  We need REAL MMOS with  real sociable that can last for years. Both of them don't really cut it.......I'll vote for success when a real mmo comes about.                                                                                                                                    

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723

Hear, hear!

Successful MMOs are good for the industry and in turn breed more successful MMOs. I like MMOs. I've been playing them for 15 years and hope to do so for another 15 years (or more). It doesn't matter whether you like the game or it's for you, it's a matter of, if the game is successful, it brings confidence and investment to the market.

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778

I don't care really.

ESO is a little above average and Wildstar is average at best.

Atleast in ESO i will get my moneys worth in a month or two times. If they succeed good..and if they fail ..makes no difference to me.

I am actually hoping that games like EQ NEXT are more successful because that is what this industry needs more.

• DEAD.lineDEAD.line Member Posts: 424
    Originally posted by Kamofila

So much sniping and trolling on these forums makes me almost believe the majority of mmo players are now sociopaths. I sure hope iI am wrong. We need more positivity in this bitch!

Are people new to video games? The gamins community is usually either filled with haters and trolls, or blind fanboys defendign everythig about their game. Did you see The Last of Us fanbase?

See, if people want to be more positive about their games, post positive threads, respond to them and stop responding to troll threads and making them bigger (Not talking to you directly OP).

Reddit is alot like this, but, like i said, many, if not most, cannot take criticism well.(Still one of the forums imo).

As for sucess, i don't want people to lose their jobs over a video game. I do want P2P games to "fail" so they can go F2P/B2P and i can play them, since i don't feel ESO or WS are worth the sub. And while i'd liek the big corps to lose money over their attempts are milking with big IPs, etc, it's the devs that end up losing. So, i don't want them to fail in that sense. 

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Originally posted by delete5230

- ESO is a great game, that has a sub. But it's hard to group. ( I'm playing it now, and having fun )

- Wildstar is too obnoxious and crazy.  Now that is no big deal to each their own. But the quest are way too short, this makes it hard to play with others.

Both games above need far better tools to make them mmos.     

Wildstar has better dungeons, raids and amazing player housing.

Also ESO has RvR which can be fun if you avoid the zerg.

..Cake..

• zwei2zwei2 Member Posts: 361
    Same. While I will play neither of them, I wish both are successes in their own ways.

The possibility of the universe collapsing into a singularity is higher than the birth of a perfect MMORPG.

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142

Create a solid game or one that is truly innovative and I hope you become successful, create a flawed game or release it too early and suffer the consequences. Players are the judge, jury and executioner for AAA mmo's and if the game has a strong playerbase after six months the game deserved to be a success.

Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • SatsunoryuSatsunoryu Member UncommonPosts: 285
    Here here!  Right in the same boat with that line of thinking and really looking forward to WildStar personally.
  • Sk1ppeRSk1ppeR Member Posts: 511
    Paying for access to a game that you supposedly own (there is a box price after all) should go away. The subpar quality of ESO just shows that. It's even better example than SWTOR. 
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

I don't hope for success of games .... i just hope for games that are fun to me.

Sure, their successes or failure will make fun discussion here .. but ultimate why would I care unless I like them enough to want to see a sequel.

And i am not a big fan of traditional MMOs ..... i would much rather spend my attention to newer game types like the Destiny or Division, or even new ARPGs, if there is any.

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    I just hope ESO caves so other devs can see what not to do.
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    ESO is fantastic for me and I hope Wildstar is fantastic for the people who are looking forward to it. And if both are financially successful without going F2P, then I will definitely be a very happy MMOer.
  • AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Here here, I am absolutely loving ESO for doing something different and doing it well. I hope everyone waiting for WildStar gets what they want out of a game as well!

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• NaeviusNaevius Member UncommonPosts: 334

Neither game appeals to me too much, but I hope they do well. Mainly because I think they've pulled good ideas from other games, and help innovation in MMOs. So good luck to both.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I prefer p2p myself, so I like that, but I didn't play either enough to have a solid final review of either.

I have read about how phasing/quest stuff is causing people to have problems, and I do wish developers would figure out ways to make grouping for quest content a little easier than it is (I hate the quest rail treadmill myself, but if it is what you have, it would be nice if it worked better).  It sucks to get people on the same page, especially friends, as random people you can grab people at the stage you are at, but friends or guild mates, you often have a hard time making it to where everyone has (or can do) the quests, gets rewarded or something.  

Not sure if people are just complaining or not, but from what I have read, ESO at least has not figured it out.   Last two mmos I played a lot  with friends were horrible for this Rift/ToR.  My wife games, so if it is just us, it isn't a problem for me, but trying to get 1-3 other people to where we are, and not just feel like a baby sitter, and actually have quests to take part in was a problem, even for the 2 of us, if we played at different times.  So would be nice if they came up with something better.

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    Here here, I am absolutely loving ESO for doing something different and doing it well. I hope everyone waiting for WildStar gets what they want out of a game as well!

I have no idea what ESO did different and i have already sunk around 60 hours in the game.

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675

I have no horse in the race, I don't care for either game and am not going to play either game so whether they succeed or not is entirely irrelevant to me.  I just want fun games that I can enjoy, those are the games that I want to succeed, simply so they make more of them.  I have no love or hatred for the genre, in fact, I don't care about the genre, I care about products that entertain me and are fun.

Right now, they're not.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Battlerock
    I just hope ESO caves so other devs can see what not to do.

Why do you care? It is not like if they make a game not fun to you, they force you to play.

• HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930

I really do not think that either ESO or WS are or will become game changers. What I think is that both are, have been, and will continue to be hyped beyond their merit. As will the next set that comes along. I also don't think something that is actually refreshing will come from AAA. That side of the industry gets stuck in loops, and tends not to do anything differently until they are shown that it can be more profitable (not as profitable mind you...making the same amount of money doesn't justify changing methodology).

Like-wise I am not very confident that it will come from crowd funded Indie developers either. Getting money upfront for unfinished work has shown itself to be the optimum strategy only for creating lack of resolve. Paying people to work on games rather then actually produce games isn't going to get us anything stellar.

I think something new is going to come from a small established studio. Something that isn't quite indie or AAA. Probably a studio that has a had a lot of failures. And, has learned from them.

The thing is not being stale isn't about doing anything new. Most of what can be done has been done. So, it is more about finding a new formula. A combination of themes, interface, mechanics, and features rehashed in a way that is actually interesting. I think more then ESO and WS...Games like ArchAge and EQNext will start to make a showing of things that feel new. However successful or influential what they offer will make them is hard to say (especially when we add in the long waiting period factor). But, whoever puts in a good effort to one-up them. They will become the real game changers.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Not a fan of sub oriented games.  It is my belief both these games will go f2p in the future at which time I might play one of them.  Oops, need to be careful around here.  Last time I suggested Wildstar would go f2p I got a naughty naughty from MMORPG.
  • GuyClinchGuyClinch Member CommonPosts: 485

The thing is not being stale isn't about doing anything new. Most of what can be done has been done. So, it is more about finding a new formula. A combination of themes, interface, mechanics, and features rehashed in a way that is actually interesting. I think more then ESO and WS...Games like ArchAge and EQNext will start to make a showing of things that feel new. However successful or influential what they offer will make them is hard to say (especially when we add in the long waiting period factor). But, whoever puts in a good effort to one-up them. They will become the real game changers.

So its always the next thing eh? I haven't seen anything out of those companies to make me think they will change the market. The issues in MMOs come from the fact that designing a game that works well for large groups of people is very difficult without incredibly powerful AI.

Supposedly the singularity will happen in 2048. I think you are going to be waiting till then.

• HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930
    Originally posted by GuyClinch

So its always the next thing eh? I haven't seen anything out of those companies to make me think they will change the market. The issues in MMOs come from the fact that designing a game that works well for large groups of people is very difficult without incredibly powerful AI.

Supposedly the singularity will happen in 2048. I think you are going to be waiting till then.

That is how linear time in this universe works. And, history supports 'the next thing" idea. Humphry Davy and Joseph Swan can be largely credited with the invention of the light bulb in stages. But, Thomas Edison made it viable. And, historically time-and-again...that's how this works. There is absolutely no reason to believe it won't work the same here. Your going to get your initial concept demonstrators after a long history of not quite there yet (UO). Then you will get people who refine it further and demonstrate different potential sides of it (EQ/RS). Then someone will kick in the door (WoW). And, every one will scramble to catch up in a phase that takes as long as the first before we rinse and repeat. This is the model of invention. This is way advancement happens.

Now, if you have not seen anything game changing from the people who brought us lineage and the last two Ever Quest games. Then you have not been paying attention for the last 16 years. And, more specifically you have not been paying attention to what these most recent titles will have to offer once they are both on in full force. ArchAge isn't doing anything revolutionary. But, it does appear to be bringing 'the best of' in a neat functional package. And, EQ Next along side landmark is doing some really interesting things. There attempting to redefine the action button. They are advancing voxel technology and making it viable for a higher -then minecraft- graphical fidelity environment. And, both of these games are putting a lot of power into the players hands and letting the players fill in the gaps.

And, that's the impressive thing. The work load your talking about is significantly lessened when the community is directly involved in development. Both of these games should go a long way to changing how we develop MMORPG. And, in doing so will change what is possible. There games are also doing some things that others don't. While art the same time trying to bring what is currently done to its height. And, so they can be fairly considered the starting line of the next cycle. They are striving to get something right and to prove some new ground ideas.

After them we will see some quality emulation...then someone will come along and do something that is WoW-Big.