Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Low levels aren't a gankfest

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by greenreen

I mentioned that I was going to try this game and that I was concerned that I would get ganked non-stop by the seasoned players so I'm here to report back that everything is smooth. Several times I've left the safe zone and was able to traverse into Danger Zone 4 to get supplies without being hunted down repeatedly. All the regulars must be staying in Danger Zone 5 where the best resources come from because they weren't nearly as aggressive as the older information makes the game out to play like. Perhaps this territory patch is engaging them and I found a good point to enter. I was hoping this would be the case.

I think all the ganking I read about was mostly due to the population, now that it's lower the size of the map helps a newblet like me hide a bit so that I've been able to solo some. I'm approaching 3k prowess which is low when people say end-game is average 30k but it has only been 5 days.

This is a good thing that they aren't stalking because certainly that could drive people away. I'm still nervous when I cross into the Danger Zones but it's all on my side, so far no one has ganked me then waited for me to return to do it again. Make no mistake though, the chat is aggressive and people are talking mess to each other about who is better and who isn't so I realize there are probably some out there who would gank me - low level or not - but I'm content that they aren't circling and hunting for me.

A lot of the people that I know may kill you as a low prowess character but rez you back up.  However, if you are harvesting you are always KOS and considered a resource stash.  Make sure you are wearing good headphones because you should be able to hear people approaching before they see you. 

PS:  Welcome to Darkfall.

• TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199

I mentioned that I was going to try this game and that I was concerned that I would get ganked non-stop by the seasoned players so I'm here to report back that everything is smooth. Several times I've left the safe zone and was able to traverse into Danger Zone 4 to get supplies without being hunted down repeatedly. All the regulars must be staying in Danger Zone 5 where the best resources come from because they weren't nearly as aggressive as the older information makes the game out to play like.

AV have done a lot with the new version of the game to make things better for newer players. Not only do you level faster, but you need to master far less skills to be able to hold your own in PvP. And a lot of the exploits that vets would use to kill players in DF1, without newbies EVER having a chance to get away, are gone.

However, one of the biggest problems with Darkfall has always been the part I highlighted. People really want to hate this game. Initially with DF1 it was residual hate from people who score on their souls it would never release. Now, those same vets that used to exploit and macro and kill people, can't do it anymore, so they hate the new Darkfall, and spam garbage about it EVERY time its brought up anywhere.

There is a TON of misinformation about the game because of this. All I can really say is, its one of the better MMOs of the last 7 years.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

i started a new character (and new account) recently after trying the game way back at launch and losing my account info :

I am about 20k prowess... maybe a tiny bit under.... and i have been ganked while gathering a grand total of one time.  I've run into more helpful people in the unsafe zone than gankers by a 4 to 1 margin, as i've been killing mobs in the unsafe zone and a couple times someone partied up with me, and another time someone stopped and healed my mount for me (i dont have the spell for that yet)

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• eHugeHug Member UncommonPosts: 265

Not sure what server you play on but on EU server you can run around for days without meeting someone if you leave out the few pvp hotspots the game got. I met 1 player total at non raw hide PVE spots since I started playing 6 months ago and that was at a bandits spot after they started dropping globules. So yes, It's easily possible to avoid getting ganked on the euro server. NA server is supposed to have some more players but if it's not multiple times the player numbers chance you meet other players when pveing should be similarly low.

And no, I am not saying that the server is dead. If you know where to go you still can find PVP.

Since you might not know: Many new players don't PVE much, they afk on a fishing trawler for 2-3 weeks to get ready for pvp, then start doing something else. Most active activities in this game give terrible prowess, while fishing trawlers give kind of insane prowess amounts at the start. You easily make multiple k of prowess in an afternoon of using it.

LFG!
  • Sk1ppeRSk1ppeR Member Posts: 511
    The game is a ghost city, what did you expect? 
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
  • Sk1ppeRSk1ppeR Member Posts: 511
    Originally posted by Sk1ppeR

That's not true where I'm at. The chat is always busy. People are always at the bank when I visit or the crafting stations. People emote me when they see me or we jump to say hi. There are new people in chat asking questions. Even GMs talk in the chat. Second time in less than a week I've seen them asking questions to report back the info to staff. That's something I only ever saw in Ryzom during their events. The only other time I saw a GM was in WOW when they silenced someone and in LOTRO when they were invisible watching us fight a boss then outed themselves and said they were curious about our thoughts on the difficulty.

Just last night someone was teaching someone about fighting so there were 3 people in my local talking and twice people waved at me and I didn't see it until later, someone else whispered me asking if I liked the game which I ignored because I thought they would then ask to guild me. Then I was jumping in and out of global giving one liners and there were at least 10 ppl talking there. Every question I've asked in Help was answered and pretty fast. Even a dopey one about real life meant as a joke someone answered it lol

Another day two people said they were new to the game and one said they spent all their gold so I told them to keep their eyes out for a chest while in global a few ppl told them something jokey like welcome to darkfall, it's hardcore. Another day someone came to where I was trying to learn to fight and killed all the mobs in the area then left them unlooted so I started looting them. Then one time I was fighting and someone said you don't want to be my friend or something and left because I didn't say hi to them when they acknowledged me in the area. I just didn't see the chat, was trying to get my fighting together so I didn't suck as much. I've since binded my keys better for my short fingers lol Now I've got Q and E as former 1 and 2, ZXC as 3 4 5 so that I don't have to try to hit the number keys. People pass me on mounts and I can hear when people are harvesting in an area. There wasn't one chest out yesterday when I went hunting several times, they didn't loot themselves. Other days I was able to get 2 each play session so I know at least 2 can be in the area.

It might not be high population but I encountered less people playing Wurm online and Ryzom so I know low pop from really low pop. There were probably less playing Haven and Hearth too but I can't be certain because no one chatted in a global.  Often I play up to 3am and there are still people around. Some major games after midnight, chat goes quiet.  This one doesn't.

So we are going to forget how DFUW devs begged for people to subscribe because they couldn't keep up the servers? And we are also forgetting that some devs don't get payed simply because there is not enough revenue....we forget about all that? 

• MakidianMakidian Member UncommonPosts: 208
    Originally posted by Tibernicuspa

I mentioned that I was going to try this game and that I was concerned that I would get ganked non-stop by the seasoned players so I'm here to report back that everything is smooth. Several times I've left the safe zone and was able to traverse into Danger Zone 4 to get supplies without being hunted down repeatedly. All the regulars must be staying in Danger Zone 5 where the best resources come from because they weren't nearly as aggressive as the older information makes the game out to play like.

AV have done a lot with the new version of the game to make things better for newer players. Not only do you level faster, but you need to master far less skills to be able to hold your own in PvP. And a lot of the exploits that vets would use to kill players in DF1, without newbies EVER having a chance to get away, are gone.

However, one of the biggest problems with Darkfall has always been the part I highlighted. People really want to hate this game. Initially with DF1 it was residual hate from people who score on their souls it would never release. Now, those same vets that used to exploit and macro and kill people, can't do it anymore, so they hate the new Darkfall, and spam garbage about it EVERY time its brought up anywhere.

There is a TON of misinformation about the game because of this. All I can really say is, its one of the better MMOs of the last 7 years.

Bingo.

• NiburuNiburu Member UncommonPosts: 402

That's not true where I'm at. The chat is always busy. People are always at the bank when I visit or the crafting stations. People emote me when they see me or we jump to say hi. There are new people in chat asking questions. Even GMs talk in the chat. Second time in less than a week I've seen them asking questions to report back the info to staff. That's something I only ever saw in Ryzom during their events. The only other time I saw a GM was in WOW when they silenced someone and in LOTRO when they were invisible watching us fight a boss then outed themselves and said they were curious about our thoughts on the difficulty.

Just last night someone was teaching someone about fighting so there were 3 people in my local talking and twice people waved at me and I didn't see it until later, someone else whispered me asking if I liked the game which I ignored because I thought they would then ask to guild me. Then I was jumping in and out of global giving one liners and there were at least 10 ppl talking there. Every question I've asked in Help was answered and pretty fast. Even a dopey one about real life meant as a joke someone answered it lol

Another day two people said they were new to the game and one said they spent all their gold so I told them to keep their eyes out for a chest while in global a few ppl told them something jokey like welcome to darkfall, it's hardcore. Another day someone came to where I was trying to learn to fight and killed all the mobs in the area then left them unlooted so I started looting them. Then one time I was fighting and someone said you don't want to be my friend or something and left because I didn't say hi to them when they acknowledged me in the area. I just didn't see the chat, was trying to get my fighting together so I didn't suck as much. I've since binded my keys better for my short fingers lol Now I've got Q and E as former 1 and 2, ZXC as 3 4 5 so that I don't have to try to hit the number keys. People pass me on mounts and I can hear when people are harvesting in an area. There wasn't one chest out yesterday when I went hunting several times, they didn't loot themselves. Other days I was able to get 2 each play session so I know at least 2 can be in the area.

It might not be high population but I encountered less people playing Wurm online and Ryzom so I know low pop from really low pop. There were probably less playing Haven and Hearth too but I can't be certain because no one chatted in a global.  Often I play up to 3am and there are still people around. Some major games after midnight, chat goes quiet.  This one doesn't.

So we are going to forget how DFUW devs begged for people to subscribe because they couldn't keep up the servers? And we are also forgetting that some devs don't get payed simply because there is not enough revenue....we forget about all that? 

Dev's get payed. They even look for new employers to grow there team. your inffo is about 1.5-2 years old

• Krusher3Krusher3 Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by Niburu

Dev's get payed. They even look for new employers to grow there team. your inffo is about 1.5-2 years old

[mod edit]

Claus Grovdal, original Darkfall Developer, posted a live stream where he explicitly states that half the developer team wasn't getting paid and that Aventurine owe's debts all around town.

This steam happened 6 months ago.

[mod edit]

Originally posted by Krusher3

[mod edit]

Claus Grovdal, original Darkfall Developer, posted a live stream where he explicitly states that half the developer team wasn't getting paid and that Aventurine owe's debts all around town.

[mod edit]

in this particular stream he talked about the time before UW release. however payments were sometimes delayed until asia release

• Krusher3Krusher3 Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by Krusher3

Stop lieing.

So, either you are misinformed, lieing or stupid. I'm going to go with all 3.

in this particular stream he talked about the time before UW release. however payments were sometimes delayed until asia release

"Think's game will keep running, and AV can get more money- But for the game to thrive, needs more players. Some developers aren't currently getting paid.

Plans to improve cities, give them more worth, and increase pvp."

Source - http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/875/view/forums/post/5990776#5990776

http://tbhorder.com/?c=news_comments&cid=624

"In his last post i saw in the forums, he was saying that he was honest but this might get him fired tommorow.

Anyway it's kinda sad but it seems AV is borderline bankrupt and they were forced to dig an old DEV which who knows when he was last involved in a serious project and he just doesn't seem fit for the job.
    Not wanna judge anyone and if he actually makes DF a sandbox them i'm completely fine with that. It's not bad being drunk from times to times and trying to be open and honest."

Source - http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/threads/darkfall-unholy-wars.79650/page-110#post-1599497

Could you please post a source to that info that developers weren't getting paid because of the Asia release?

• LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114

I think they must be making money in Asia, because they are really ramping up with some ambitious systems. Patching is coming steady, and the game is making sweeping improvements.

Please don't derail the thread with irrelevant drama from 6 months ago.

I was behind in my bills 6 months ago. I survived, and AV will too.

Could you please post a source to that info that developers weren't getting paid because of the Asia release?

it was said in the stream. claus was drunk there. At it wasnt because of the asia release. I said they had payment problems until the asia release. that gave them money. then the patches rolled in

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

Better question: Does it matter?

You're clearly attempting to move the goal-post now just so you can be "right" and "win" the debate you've decided to start here. The bottom line is, you made an assertion about the game being a ghost town. The OP explained that hasn't been their experience, and gave a number of examples illustrating as such.

You come back, still determined to try and prove your point - even though the OP has already demonstrated it to not be the case in their experience.

So.. what is it, exactly, that you're trying to prove here, Sk1pper? What's your goal? Trying to convince someone the experience they're having isn't actually the experience they're having? Can't rest knowing that someone isn't hating the game as much as you apparently do?

You know, it's one thing to have an opinion about a game, positive or negative, and voice it for others to read.. and then leave it alone. That's fine. What I don't get are people who, like you Sk1pper, seem determined to try and ruin others' experiences in a game just because you don't happen to enjoy it. Wouldn't it be more productive use of your time to be off playing something you enjoy, rather than giving someone  crap over a game they clearly are enjoying? Or, is there nothing you're actually enjoying at this time?

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

I mentioned that I was going to try this game and that I was concerned that I would get ganked non-stop by the seasoned players so I'm here to report back that everything is smooth. Several times I've left the safe zone and was able to traverse into Danger Zone 4 to get supplies without being hunted down repeatedly. All the regulars must be staying in Danger Zone 5 where the best resources come from because they weren't nearly as aggressive as the older information makes the game out to play like. Perhaps this territory patch is engaging them and I found a good point to enter. I was hoping this would be the case.

I think all the ganking I read about was mostly due to the population, now that it's lower the size of the map helps a newblet like me hide a bit so that I've been able to solo some. I'm approaching 3k prowess which is low when people say end-game is average 30k but it has only been 5 days.

This is a good thing that they aren't stalking because certainly that could drive people away. I'm still nervous when I cross into the Danger Zones but it's all on my side, so far no one has ganked me then waited for me to return to do it again. Make no mistake though, the chat is aggressive and people are talking mess to each other about who is better and who isn't so I realize there are probably some out there who would gank me - low level or not - but I'm content that they aren't circling and hunting for me.

LOL, as a formal fanboy of DF...I will tell you what any DF vet will...it is a gankfest, because that's what we always wanted...you need to be ready to be jumped all the time.  However, you didn't get jumped for one reason...the game is dead...lol.  So yea...it's not a gankfest, it's a deadfest.  Sorry... prior fanboy being honest.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by SirBalin

LOL, as a formal fanboy of DF...I will tell you what any DF vet will...it is a gankfest, because that's what we always wanted...you need to be ready to be jumped all the time.  However, you didn't get jumped for one reason...the game is dead...lol.  So yea...it's not a gankfest, it's a deadfest.  Sorry... prior fanboy being honest.

You can't generalize like that.

Having to be prepared to be jumped all the time does not mean you will be jumped all the time, regardless of population.

I played DF back during 1.0, and then again for a while in DF:UW. I was jumped/ganked maybe a handful of times each go around, mainly because I made it a point to avoid more populated or heavily traveled areas, unless I was prepared for a scrap with someone. DF's world being quite large, it's pretty easy to go find someplace out in the middle of nowhere. After that, it's just a matter of keeping a sharp ear for someone approaching.

And of course, this is really only an issue if you're traveling alone a lot, or with only one other person, and not being careful.
  • itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

i'll also say this.

if you spend the 20 on the game.  even if you dont decide to stay, you will play it for 20 bucks worth of time at least.  and who knows, you might just like it.  I do, and so do plenty of others, despite people who REALLY dont want you to like it.

is it perfect? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.  but is it fun?  yes.  is it immersive?  to me it is.  is it worth the price?  again, to me it was worth the non recurring 6-month.  incidentally, AV gives you the option of non recurring subs which is nice if you're like me and hate having a recurring fee hanging over you even if you think you're going to end up repaying.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

Disclaimer to people who don't know what this game is like: It is not going to feed you content or things to do the way other MMOs nowadays do. You forge your own way in this game, similar to games like UO, EVE, SWG, etc. After you complete the the tiny tutorial level, it spits you out into the world... like the actual world. Not a "newbie zone" or anything like that.

So if you decide to try the game, and you hop in and you're like most other MMORPG players and you're thinking "wtf is this? what am I supposed to do?" Just know that this is how the game works. Those first couple of weeks are not the whole game. The best way to play is to join a clan that you enjoy spending time with, and they'll most likely show the ropes. Most people in this game are very willing to help, just don't mind the occasional troll.

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666

Since when the lack of gankfest is a good thing for a mmorpg in general in servers where pvp is enabled?

The lack of gankfest is only a good thing when there is a great anti KOS system in place, not when the game's pop is so low that you don't even find a soul to bother with the below-veteran quality spawns.

If AV wanted us to rush to become end game as soon as possible, they would make all of us start with 50k prowess. There needs to be a big enough pop to surround any type of activity that the game offers to their player base.

I will admit that the game was fun when the pop was big, but it was just a turn off for myself as a mage coz back then, warriors and skirm were the only 2 solo viable classes. It was possible to win as a mage, but not to reach a warrior nor a skirm to finish them off coz their dash and stampede were broken as hell.

Today, best thing they can do is merging NA and EU and eventually bringing back NA when DF UW won't be a payed beta anymore.

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

• LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114
    Originally posted by Realbigdeal

Since when the lack of gankfest is a good thing for a mmorpg in general in servers where pvp is enabled?

The lack of gankfest is only a good thing when there is a great anti KOS system in place, not when the game's pop is so low that you don't even find a soul to bother with the below-veteran quality spawns.

If AV wanted us to rush to become end game as soon as possible, they would make all of us start with 50k prowess. There needs to be a big enough pop to surround any type of activity that the game offers to their player base.

I will admit that the game was fun when the pop was big, but it was just a turn off for myself as a mage coz back then, warriors and skirm were the only 2 solo viable classes. It was possible to win as a mage, but not to reach a warrior nor a skirm to finish them off coz their dash and stampede were broken as hell.

Today, best thing they can do is merging NA and EU and eventually bringing back NA when DF UW won't be a payed beta anymore.

It's a good thing because there are plenty of village req's, village caps, Levi collections, repeatable feat spawns, sieges, that generate pvp, but the world if big enough that if you're smart you can find out of the way places to avoid pvp when you want to.

AV clearly wants you to rush to the endgame, because your first role can be completed so quickly, and you can compete with anyone.  It's acquiring the other 3 roles that provide long-term progression.