Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

H1Z1 is the new SWG?

So this game H1Z1 zombie shooter is the game smed says the SWG lovers will come home too?  The church picture in his tweet fits the post apoc zombie theme.  I guess we can use lazer swords and swat zombies. =/

Comments

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Nothing Smed says should ever be believed.

That aside, the key design person for SWG was Raph Koster, it was he that came up with much of what made SWG great. He has not been with SOE for many years, and is not making MMORPGs any more.

On top of that, the last several titles SOE has released, have been pure console fodder, so it is extremely unlikely SOE could even make a game like SWG anymore, and they haven't. They lack the talent.

So, in other words, No : Smed is just slinging BS in the hopes of generating some buzz for his flagging company.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    I wouldn't clasify Planetside 2 as console fodder in any shape or form.
  • DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600

Ugh.

I don't recall SWG being a griefers paradise like all these zombie shooters quickly become. Many of the building set ups look right out of DayZ or even worse WarZ.

Well another PVP gankfest post apoc game. *yawn* Oh sure sure you will be able to build and craft in this, except not really because every thirty seconds a bullet will blast through your skull while you attempt to slap up plywood walls.

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by Xasapis
    I wouldn't clasify Planetside 2 as console fodder in any shape or form.

Yeah?

Fine.

Anyone not playing that particular shallow game without a PS type controller was at a SERIOUS disadvantage, and was an idiot for doing so.

Be it on PS or PC, that game was not a real MMORPG.

And in addition to that, the way they structured their F2P scam for that game, encouraged cheating/hacks. (Kill more people anyway you can and pay less money in the cash shop. Gave people every incentive to pay $5 for a hack to save them selves $200 in the CS, and they did.)

Add in the fact that the game prior to that, DCUO, was also  total console meat.

So now, this H1Z1 crap is supposed to be more than that?

I'LL BELIEVE IT WHEN I SEE IT!

• KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086

There will be different rule set servers. There will be in-depth crafting, but that has yet to be seen.

I would like to see a consensual PvP server with indestructible player housing. Most of all, I would like to see noncombatant professions and/or skills that create an atmosphere of interdependency. Smedley is definitely not in Koster's MMO design league, but hopefully he can use some of Koster's MMORPG theory in a competent manner. My main concern is how much of this sandbox game will be designed around the cash shop.

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823
    Originally posted by deadhead1974
    So this game H1Z1 zombie shooter is the game smed says the SWG lovers will come home too?  The church picture in his tweet fits the post apoc zombie theme.  I guess we can use lazer swords and swat zombies. =/

Look anything Sony now produces is meant for PS 4 release. Console game will be a Console game in all it's simplicity. 8 button gameplay cannot possible even come close to SWG. That also applies to EQN .

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

Anyoen that knows Smedley would not take any of his claims seriously.

Basicly every game under his reign has died under mismanagement. The guy sits in his office thinking he knows what is best for the world but has no contact with his customers or any idea what they really want.

With that said: I played H1z1 and saw those EQN updates -IF it ever gets released in a decent state, I doubt it- , and if he claims that one of those 2 alpha-state games was the title he meant about SWG customers coming home, no thx, I stick with pre NGE and good AAA MMOs.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Is it?  He must have been joking because H1Z1 is nothing at all like SWG.  i cannot believe he was referring to this game because there is ZERO resemblance.
  • Billr00Billr00 Member UncommonPosts: 135
    H1Z1 is not even in the same gametype as SWG.. you want SWG II ... I suggest The Repopulation .. it might not be there yet .. but its going to be damn close .. really damn close
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

There is literally zero content in H1z1,it is nothing more than a Battle Royale and even that is done poorly as it removes the Survival and the zombie factors.Guns/ammo are easily found everywhere in BR,so it is simply a pvp game with toxic gas.

It is also poorly rendered as yoru player sticks out like a sore thumb even running through the bush.

I have not seen anything added to the game since their claim of early development,just a few bug fixes and a shotty attempt at key mapping.

Pretty sad when they mention no weapon attachments coming for awhile,not like that takes a lot of effort,so proves how little effort they are actually putting into the game.

When and if this game ever goes live,expect to see 99% the exact same game you see now.I am quite certain their ONLY focus right now is how to incorporate some cash shop into the game.They already bantered around BR costing real money,that would be lol and absolutely bury the game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Looking on steam at the comments. It's already turned into a griefer's game. Yep, that's SWG alright. Glad I have a new home to come to.

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    I find it unusual Smed said that. It's like implementing tab targeting/ 3rd person view in the next Doom game and stating the doom fans will be at home in it.

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Shows you how disconnected and delusional that guy is and somehow he made the cut. 
  • trudel79trudel79 Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by Burntvet

That aside, the key design person for SWG was Raph Koster, it was he that came up with much of what made SWG great. He has not been with SOE for many years, and is not making MMORPGs any more.

Actually, Raph is working on http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/1214/Crowfall.html

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812

Smed is just hyping this game to give them an income or some credence because lets face it very little positive has come out of that company since the EPIC fail takeover with many jobs going so it wouldn't surprise me if Smed looses his job in the next 6 months if things don't improve very quickly. Using SWG and Hizzy in the same sentence is an insult to what was an EPIC game for it's time pre their fook up of course.

Asbo

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    The Repopulation is much much closer, though still very rough. I'm impressed what their very small team has done so far though. I would just check that out if I were you. $15 on steam. It's been worth it to me. /shrug.

Joined - July 2004

Originally posted by immodium
    I find it unusual Smed said that. It's like implementing tab targeting/ 3rd person view in the next Doom game and stating the doom fans will be at home in it.

He was either referring to another game, is a blatant liar or was under the influence of some strong narcotics when he made the statement.

I am apt to believe the second.

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    Lets' be honest here... you all just want to bash the man... why else would you resurrect an old thread?  
    Originally posted by Pepeq
    Lets' be honest here... you all just want to bash the man... why else would you resurrect an old thread?  

Didn't even notice this was a resurrected thread.  I just responded as it showed up in the real-time forum post whatever-its-called watch.