Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: H1Z1 Confirmed as Post-Apocalyptic MMO

2»

Comments

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    Wow.  Just what we all need.  Another zombie game...Yay.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Originally posted by Ginaz

I know, there are so many feature complete zombie games out there. Resident Evil, Plants vs Zombies, L4D. Glad I can play with thousands of others in an open world in those games...

It would be a sad day for me when I stop liking zombies, vampires, aliens, or whatever else is popular at the moment. They all still entertain the heck out of mean, regardless of how many Twilights are made or how many slow episodes of The Walking Dead I watch.

• NeherunNeherun Member UncommonPosts: 280
    Originally posted by kairel182

People saying they wouldn't even try this game?

The fuck?  Are you so thrilled by WoW and it's millions of clones that you wouldn't even try a game that's attempting the MOST innovation and freedom we've seen in more than a decade?

My god this site reminds me why I hate so many "gamers" now-a-days.  They run and hide from anything new and write off potential as if it's some kind of sin.

It's the same carebears that whine and "PASS" on everything that isn't PvE grindfest Everquest style. The worst part is they voice their opinions here more than any other category of MMO players. Trust me, the thrill around the game is going to hype train so much DayZ population will drop by half the second this becomes early access.

• CalvenCalven Member Posts: 151
    Originally posted by kairel182

People saying they wouldn't even try this game?

The fuck?  Are you so thrilled by WoW and it's millions of clones that you wouldn't even try a game that's attempting the MOST innovation and freedom we've seen in more than a decade?

My god this site reminds me why I hate so many "gamers" now-a-days.  They run and hide from anything new and write off potential as if it's some kind of sin.

Nothing in the game is innovative. DayZ and several other games have already fleshed out and implemented much and most of what SOE hopes to present as being new and never thought of before. I can only imagine how 'awesome' it is for a clan to finish a months work of gethering mats for a base only to have it burned down within hours.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

It will have servers with separate rules so one can hope it will have pve servers.

The only thing I hate in dayz and the other similar games is being forced in pvp.

(All of those games become a gank fest with snipers camping high buildings/whatever sniping anyone just for fun)

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Distopia
    What I don't understand is why people aren't at least considering the possibilities of the sandbox aspects here with triple a production behind it.

I'm not sure either. Maybe it's hipster to hate on post apoc now? It's funny the people complaining about the setting don't seem to have a problem with the zillionth fantasy themepark that's just released or the sci-fantasy set to roll out just around the corner.

It doesn't cater specifically to the sandbox OWPvP crowd, so obviously the game must be cr@p.

Concerning the fantasy thing, it's the most popular setting and it keeps on being the most popular setting the more people that get asked and the more people that show up to play video games.  It's like the default setting for Western culture fiction is "medieval fantasy" with "alien planet medieval fantasy" running a close second.  I would have thought "urban fantasy" would be up there, but it's not even close to the "medieval fantasy" choices.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

Well, you could look at it as "just another zombie game" or as "another chance for finally a good zombie game"... I prefer to see it as latter. There's a million zombie survival games out there but frankly I can't recall a single one that's truly good. The last one i found really good, and that wasn't "survival" strictly speaking, was Left 4 Dead.

It's like the Tower Defence genre. There's a billion of them out there but only a precious few that are any good.

I'll be following this with keen interest. Imo its make-or-break is goning to be how it deals with PvP. All-out with free looting? No thanks. PvE only? Booring. Imo they have to really do something smart there or it will appeal only to niche audiences. Personally I'd like to see something like factions or maybe even a kind of "loyalty" system between players (like mutual non-agression pacts or something). We'll see...

• Cristina1Cristina1 Member UncommonPosts: 372
    Originally posted by Ginaz

yes because we need some MORE games with elves, orcs and goblins, as well as being some supreme HERO..err just like thousands of other chars.....oh and MAAAAAAGIC! *rolleyes*
  • darkbamydarkbamy Member UncommonPosts: 111
    So this is THE game to bring the ''SWG players back home''? >_>
  • mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356
    Will I play this game or pass depends on how they implement death. If its "np, just respawn", no ty. If its close to permadeath - yes plz
  • DEAD.lineDEAD.line Member Posts: 424

FOR F**** SAKES. Great, it had to be zombies after all. The most boring, lazy, predictable enemyof them all. Apperantly the game will ahve different ruel set servers, and there'll be a crafting system to create settlements and fortresses. So i guess i can predict what'll happen.

PVP servers- Darkfall meets DayZ. People will be fighting and pking each otehr because there's no real end goal to pvp.

PVE servers- A few months after launch, once players gather together, amass large amounts of weapons, supplies, create a fortified locations, te zombies are no longer a danger. Even permadeath, if they have it, becomes useless since you can run back to your settlement.

Unless they have mechanics like, zombies being able to bypass security, climb walls, bigger enemies that can destroy them, viruses that infect players and kill them, and general other ways to easily destroy that guilds create, it'll turn into a farming game.

I hate to doom and gloom, i really do, but zombies are simply to simplistic and easy. Their only tactic and move is rush and kill, pack/horde advancement. Look at The Walking Dead. Did zombies take down teh prison, the settlements, etc? No, humans create the opening, because by themeselves, zombies are weak.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I'd play if there was a permadeath PvE only server with realistic (ish) needs for like food, water, medicine, even rest. As well as hordes of thousands/millions of Zed-heads capable of breaking down/through even the most secure fortifications.

Zombie genre as a whole is only fun/exciting when the zombies are still a threat. 

But "PvP with full loot" is a no. 

These systems DO NOT WORK because there is no risk/punishment for the wolves, all of the burden of the system falls on the sheep. Has been true since UO.

Players who choose to engage in violence against their fellow man during the apocalypse should also be forced into permadeath. Only the "just" should get a second chance at life.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by DEAD.line

FOR F**** SAKES. Great, it had to be zombies after all. The most boring, lazy, predictable enemyof them all. Apperantly the game will ahve different ruel set servers, and there'll be a crafting system to create settlements and fortresses. So i guess i can predict what'll happen.

PVP servers- Darkfall meets DayZ. People will be fighting and pking each otehr because there's no real end goal to pvp.

PVE servers- A few months after launch, once players gather together, amass large amounts of weapons, supplies, create a fortified locations, te zombies are no longer a danger. Even permadeath, if they have it, becomes useless since you can run back to your settlement.

Unless they have mechanics like, zombies being able to bypass security, climb walls, bigger enemies that can destroy them, viruses that infect players and kill them, and general other ways to easily destroy that guilds create, it'll turn into a farming game.

I hate to doom and gloom, i really do, but zombies are simply to simplistic and easy. Their only tactic and move is rush and kill, pack/horde advancement. Look at The Walking Dead. Did zombies take down teh prison, the settlements, etc? No, humans create the opening, because by themeselves, zombies are weak.

Did you ever see the movie WWZ?  Or how about the Will Smith movie "I am Legend", or the latest Resident Evil Movies?  Zombies are fast moving and easily can overrun any position using zerg like tactics.

I've even read some recent novels where the zombies retained some vestiges of intelligence from their former lives so soldiers and police still knew how to use weapons, and in one book the zombies were semi-sentient and directed by a hive mind that had a survival agenda.

Zombies can be so much more than what is depicted in Walking Dead, and they can be driven by evil corporate entities and agendas such as the Umbrella corporation. Also, check out the "FEED" novels for an excellent way zombies can remain a threat in a post zombie world and yet all of humanity hasn't turned on itself in a FFA death match frenzy.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by BadSpock

I'd play if there was a permadeath PvE only server with realistic (ish) needs for like food, water, medicine, even rest. As well as hordes of thousands/millions of Zed-heads capable of breaking down/through even the most secure fortifications.

Zombie genre as a whole is only fun/exciting when the zombies are still a threat. 

But "PvP with full loot" is a no. 

These systems DO NOT WORK because there is no risk/punishment for the wolves, all of the burden of the system falls on the sheep. Has been true since UO.

Players who choose to engage in violence against their fellow man during the apocalypse should also be forced into permadeath. Only the "just" should get a second chance at life.

I agree with your position.   What we don't need is another FFA deathmatch zombie game based on the Walking Dead (dumbest show ever) where humans are so hateful that you find yourself rooting for the zombies to kill them all and be done with it.

I prefer the view that humanity would band together in common defense against the zombie menace and that common sense would dictate that recruiting more humans to your cause is the more logical approach rather than have other humans relentlessly stalking everyone just for lols. (enlighted self interest and all that)

Sure, there can be occasional bands of humans who look out selfishly only for themselves, but like you proposed, perhaps permadeath only for the predators might help to keep it a bit more in check.

As for "yet another zombie game", I haven't played one yet.  I don't play consoles, and I don't play "games", I play MMORPG's only so this appears to be the first that might attempt to actually be one and I'm actually likely to preorder it on Steam.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

It would be cool if it were a legit survival horror game ala old school resident evil. The video doesnt look that way but it could have been for demo purposes.

• AlalalaAlalala Member UncommonPosts: 314

I hope they stay as far away from DayZ's influences as possible.

My first experience with DayZ, when it was young: Hacker's paradise

My second experience with DayZ, when it matured somewhat: PvP gank, gank, gank, gank

Despite its billing, there was absolutely zero threat from zombies and zero game play around survival.   It was just an open PvP map, and with no design, no balance, no zombie threat, and no survival mechanics - boring, boring, boring, boring.

If SOE looks at DayZ, I really hope it is to learn what NOT to do with this genre.

• DeVoDeVoDeVoDeVo Member UncommonPosts: 106
    They need more than just zombies. Maybe add in some zombie dogs or some big dam zombie snakes. Just please, something more than zombies.
  • BidwoodBidwood Member Posts: 554
    This game is going to be a grief fest. And that is a good thing. Really gets the adrenaline going.

I know the people who don't get it can't comprehend this, but it isn't just sheep and wolves. There is some animal in between that loves the thrill of outsmarting and eluding wolves. That is why the survival genre is exploding with popularity.

This game will be HUGE without catering to the folks who want to enjoy it without the core PVP gameplay.