Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MASSIVELY: Is WildStar a World of Warcraft clone?

Comments

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by Herase
    Originally posted by Zalmon
    Originally posted by maple2
    those people who write that review Knows nothing.. Wildstar is not a clone and stop saying it trolls.. people are just annoyied because wildstar already beaten wow in content.. and challenge

in the past i would have been the same, but how Wow currently is i would agree. Blizzard over the course of MoP just made anything below max lvl worthless content. You learn next to nothing while leveling, Class, lore. There's no point crafting or doing any other professions till max level, PvP is broken and there's no danger what so ever while leveling, healers soloing instances o.O?.

Don't get me wrong i have nothing against the game it's more Blizzards choices over past few xpacs that have pushed me away. When i hear more news about the cash shop or ways there making money than content in P2P game, think that's the signal fro me to say no more.

So imho i would say Wildstar has a lot more worth while content than Wow currently has. 

But you are twisting his words. He never said anything about 'worthwhile content'.

Moreover, what content is worthwhile varies from person to person. 

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

A clone is an exact copy.

Yet the way is commonly bantered about is closer to "They copied WoW". In this way it is meant as an insult. Although it hits home with many, is can be segmentally no more wrong.

While I didn't play much, and I still have an unsettled beef with NC over the closing of CoX, I did not feel at all like I was playing WoW. Sure it was over the top, that doesn't make it WoW. Sure there are quest hubs, again not WoW, just theme park design. Sure the graphics are "cartoony", but I have seen plenty of gritty ass cartoons to not let that shade my perception.

I did however see the application of some of WoW's concepts. A lot like how many saw EQ's concepts in WoW, but other than Trolls no one calls WoW an EQ clone. 

My round about ramblings are attempting to say that WildStar, is not a clone, but more of a child. I cant make the WoW 2.0 call, but I do think that WildStar represents the next generation of this type of MMO. I would venture to claim that WildStar is like a child grown in a lab from the parents DNA. The parents being WoW, and the rest of NCs stable of games.

If I were to venture a guess as to the performance of WildStar in the long run, I would guess it will outperform expectations. The reason being there is a new generation of players that want something new, not what their parents had, but not so new as to be scary.

• SatsunoryuSatsunoryu Member UncommonPosts: 285
    Originally posted by Four0Six

A clone is an exact copy.

Yet the way is commonly bantered about is closer to "They copied WoW". In this way it is meant as an insult. Although it hits home with many, is can be segmentally no more wrong.

While I didn't play much, and I still have an unsettled beef with NC over the closing of CoX, I did not feel at all like I was playing WoW. Sure it was over the top, that doesn't make it WoW. Sure there are quest hubs, again not WoW, just theme park design. Sure the graphics are "cartoony", but I have seen plenty of gritty ass cartoons to not let that shade my perception.

I did however see the application of some of WoW's concepts. A lot like how many saw EQ's concepts in WoW, but other than Trolls no one calls WoW an EQ clone. 

My round about ramblings are attempting to say that WildStar, is not a clone, but more of a child. I cant make the WoW 2.0 call, but I do think that WildStar represents the next generation of this type of MMO. I would venture to claim that WildStar is like a child grown in a lab from the parents DNA. The parents being WoW, and the rest of NCs stable of games.

If I were to venture a guess as to the performance of WildStar in the long run, I would guess it will outperform expectations. The reason being there is a new generation of players that want something new, not what their parents had, but not so new as to be scary.

This, is a very fair assessment, I'd say.

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571

Anyway, i don't really care about the comparison between Wildstar & WoW.

What i really care is to continue provide Wildstar with Patches like this.

ITS HUGE AND AWESOME!

New UI, character creation options, body / hair models, graphics, animations, sound / music / voice overs AND most of the

suggestions that ppl posted in forums. I think indeed Devs are listening :)

UI 2.0 Patch Notes (4/8/14)

https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/31980-ui-20-patch-notes-4814/

Oh wow Aroukos, that is FANTASTIC!!! WOOHOO!!
    Originally posted by Satsunoryu
    Oh wow Aroukos, that is FANTASTIC!!! WOOHOO!!

Then i ll post it again ahahahhaha

"Anyway, i don't really care about the comparison between Wildstar & WoW.

What i really care is to continue provide Wildstar with Patches like this.

ITS HUGE AND AWESOME!

New UI, character creation options, body / hair models, graphics, animations, sound / music / voice overs AND most of the

suggestions that ppl posted in forums. I think indeed Devs are listening :) "

UI 2.0 Patch Notes (4/8/14)

https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/31980-ui-20-patch-notes-4814/

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Originally posted by FoxBoogs
    Originally posted by SoMuchMass
    I wonder why anyone would pay the same price for a version of WoW that has less content when they can just play WoW?

This is pretty much all I ever see when the "Wildstar is WoW 2.0" debate is begun. 

Put your hands up and receive this message: some people just don't like WoW.  Never have.  Never will.

Telling people, "Why play something like WoW when you can just play WoW" is a little uneducated, and definitely not logical.  WoW's setting is different.  WildStar is Sci-Fi (Space and Computer Mainframes), WoW is Renaissance-like Fantasy (Elves and Shires).  Both are cartoony, they just have their roots set in different very lores.

Also, the combat is way different.  WoW is stationary Rock/Paper/Shotgun, whilst Wildstar is movement and knowing the battlefield around you.

It's fine you like WoW.  I, personally, can't stand it, and would be far less inclined to wish ill on WoW if it wasn't for it's diehard fans that have been rusted in that form legions of trolls every time a new MMO is launching.  I can promise you- Wildstar, nor ESO, will take WoW's throne.  Only WoW's successor will take WoW's throne, when the time comes.  So you can just go back to Panda Land and forget Wildstar even exists- we'll be fine without you, you'll be fine without us.

At the very least- can't we all just get a bong?

A game published by NCsoft will never take throne from WOW and forget about wow it won't even have the 10% of the player base as ESO. so you can just go back to your already dead end..whatever land or sky it is and keep your finger crossed and wish for a miracle. and also to your suggestion to forget wildstar even exist; it is too hard to forget; after all this will be another fail attempt from ncsoft to topple wow and another huge blame fest; another incident like lord british may even occur. even if want to ignore it; will be impossible.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

Right.....

Anyways, just read over the patch notes, and they are doing so many great things.  They seem to really be listening to player feedback indeed.  Various body types for races and more hairstyles is not something I expected from them at this stage of development.  Change to the stun BOGP to make macros useless.  More challenging creatures in the world you can take on for higher % value in completing quests, TONS of improvements in pretty much every aspect of the game.  Very excited for the next weekend test!

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx
    Originally posted by Herase
    Originally posted by Zalmon
    Originally posted by maple2
    those people who write that review Knows nothing.. Wildstar is not a clone and stop saying it trolls.. people are just annoyied because wildstar already beaten wow in content.. and challenge

in the past i would have been the same, but how Wow currently is i would agree. Blizzard over the course of MoP just made anything below max lvl worthless content. You learn next to nothing while leveling, Class, lore. There's no point crafting or doing any other professions till max level, PvP is broken and there's no danger what so ever while leveling, healers soloing instances o.O?.

Don't get me wrong i have nothing against the game it's more Blizzards choices over past few xpacs that have pushed me away. When i hear more news about the cash shop or ways there making money than content in P2P game, think that's the signal fro me to say no more.

So imho i would say Wildstar has a lot more worth while content than Wow currently has. 

But you are twisting his words. He never said anything about 'worthwhile content'.

Moreover, what content is worthwhile varies from person to person. 

True, the overall content Wow has gained over the past 10 years is much more than what Wildstar has, but what has been highlighted doesn't really specify if it's the amount or quality talked about. And i agree, that's why i said "imho" 

• DaessarDaessar Member Posts: 204
    Originally posted by LisaFlexy22
     Maybe they should have an ESO fan who hated WOW write the Wildstar review??  Fat chance - it is Massively after all.

They have had several bias articles towards Wildstar already, most of them crying about the endgame being exclusive, so I imagine it's just a spin the wheel and write the random bias article of the week.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Originally posted by SoMuchMass

Clone might be too strong of a word, but it is close.  When I play it I feel like I am playing a dated version of WoW.  I was hoping for WoW 2.0 but it ended up being WoW 0.5 instead.

A "dated" version?  Huh?  I mean, on the surface I can understand someone who hasn't played it thinking it's a WoW clone.  The games look very similar.  But on what are you basing the opinion that it's a "dated" version?  

If anything, someone insisting on it being a clone would at least have to acknowledge that it's doing some different things than WoW, and adding their own spin to some of the core systems.  How can this be considered "dated" when compared to a game that has been around for over a decade?

• ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931

lol classic. ANY cartoon look and OMG its a WOW CLONE! If anyone has played Wildstar ..yeah you never get the world of warcraft feeling.

Granted you hear it OUT side the game yet NEVER and were talking early 2013 to now.

Anyone reading. Reviews give an IDEA thats all and its mostly the persons view only. Buy the game if you cant try the beta. Never let someone else make your mind up for you...haha clone.. thats a 1st

• LisaFlexy22LisaFlexy22 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    Isn't it interesting that this is the same writer who wrote the ESO article ripping it to shreds - here defending Wildstar and in his first few sentences talks about how he's been a wow mmo player for years and years.  That in and of itself is fine, what is most interesting is that this is the person they chose for that overall ESO beta review, a person who clearly is not the demographic of that game or even an impartial person.  Maybe they should have an ESO fan who hated WOW write the Wildstar review??  Fat chance - it is Massively after all.

yes lets replace one biased person with another one..because that will lend the article more legitimacy. lol

Hey my point was be fair about it.  Either have someone impartial do both reviews, or have someone biased in the same direction do reviews for each game.  It's clear both of these themeparks appeal to very different demographics. 

Here is how it currently is at Massively:

Wildstar / WOW lover / admitted Elder Scrolls franchise hater (Eliot) -----> review Wildstar (high praise)

Wildstar / WOW lover / admitted Elder Scrolls franchise hater (Eliot) -----> review ESO (crap all over it)

Of course it's that way though - the person in charge of ESO coverage over there, Bree-to-play, hates ESO and loves Wildstar, as do most of the writers there.  Wildstar is already their 2014 mmo of the year guaranteed.

• DroosteelDroosteel Member Posts: 138
    WS is more of a threat to Rift than WoW....AND has much more similarities with Rift when it launched....and it will share same destiny as Rift did. It will just take way less time to to F2P than Rift did.
    Originally posted by Droosteel
    WS is more of a threat to Rift than WoW....AND has much more similarities with Rift when it launched....and it will share same destiny as Rift did. It will just take way less time to to F2P than Rift did.

Yes we know. We have seen your posts many time about Wildstar.

Btw i like Rift and i still login sometimes to play.

Anyway thx for your opinion. Its most welcome :)

• DroosteelDroosteel Member Posts: 138
    Originally posted by Aroukos

Yes, and i bet only reason you log in to Rift occasionally is because its F2P. You probably would log in just for kicks if it costed you 15$ every time ;)

• theoldgods666theoldgods666 Member Posts: 34
    After beta testing every single weekend still a day one buy for me : ) This game is going to rock. This and the next WOW expansion. Can't wait! 

Yes, and i bet only reason you log in to Rift occasionally is because its F2P. You probably would log in just for kicks if it costed you 15$ every time ;)

My Xfire mmo gaming hours are like:

EQ1 Didn't have installed xfire by then but i played it a lot

WoW ~8100

Rift ~2100 (70% of them in the first 7 months of game release)

EvE ~1900

GW1 ~900 (not a really mmo but ok)

GW2 ~400

War ~250

SWTOR ~200

etc.

So yes i P2P most of the times.

@.

Anyway once again no hard feelings. Have fun :)

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

My Xfire mmo gaming hours are like:

EQ1 Didn't have installed xfire by then but i played it a lot

WoW ~8100

Rift ~2100 (70% of them in the first 7 months of game release)

EvE ~1900

GW1 ~900 (not a really mmo but ok)

GW2 ~400

War ~250

SWTOR ~200

etc.

So yes i P2P most of the times.

@.

Anyway once again no hard feelings. Have fun :)

8100 hours on WoW ? good luck :p

• Kayo45Kayo45 Member Posts: 293

The Nexus Telegraph: Is WildStar a World of Warcraft clone?

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/04/07/the-nexus-telegraph-is-wildstar-a-world-of-warcraft-clone/#continued

/sigh .... I hate the internet. Kudos to that article for finally saying it though.

No its not a WoW clone. To say Wildstar, or any other MMO for that matter, is a WoW clone is about as stupid and ignorant as saying an Apple is the same thing as an Orange just because theyre both fruits. Internet ... get over it, grow some common sense and for once use your brain. Same genre != clone.

P.S: This is what you look like when you say an MMO is a WoW clone.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    I dont agree.  I was really excited about this game but after an hour of beta I just felt like I was playing WoW.  I had set aside my pre-order money for this one a year ago but after beta, I put it back in the pot and will wait for either the price to go down to $30 or something else to come out.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

The Nexus Telegraph: Is WildStar a World of Warcraft clone?

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/04/07/the-nexus-telegraph-is-wildstar-a-world-of-warcraft-clone/#continued

Where you see problem taking ideas from the best of the best? Or should every car maker "reinvent" the wheel with every new model?

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Isn't it interesting that this is the same writer who wrote the ESO article ripping it to shreds - here defending Wildstar and in his first few sentences talks about how he's been a wow mmo player for years and years.  That in and of itself is fine, what is most interesting is that this is the person they chose for that overall ESO beta review, a person who clearly is not the demographic of that game or even an impartial person.  Maybe they should have an ESO fan who hated WOW write the Wildstar review??  Fat chance - it is Massively after all.

yes lets replace one biased person with another one..because that will lend the article more legitimacy. lol

Hey my point was be fair about it.  Either have someone impartial do both reviews, or have someone biased in the same direction do reviews for each game.  It's clear both of these themeparks appeal to very different demographics. 

Wildstar / WOW lover / admitted Elder Scrolls franchise hater (Eliot) -----> review Wildstar (high praise)

Wildstar / WOW lover / admitted Elder Scrolls franchise hater (Eliot) -----> review ESO (crap all over it)

Of course it's that way though - the person in charge of ESO coverage over there, Bree-to-play, hates ESO and loves Wildstar, as do most of the writers there.  Wildstar is already their 2014 mmo of the year guaranteed.

It's because Massively hasn't been worth reading for a long, long time. Their laughable articles draw in a certain crowd, one that I don't care to be a part of. Anyone who actually puts stock in Massively reviews deserves what they get heh.

Not saying WildStar is a bad game, in fact quite the opposite, but I go back to my original post, a duck is a duck, no matter what you dress it up as. No amount of biased review is going to change that.

IMO it won't be WildStar itself that determines the success of the game, it will be determined by how badly NC$oft mucks it up by forcing Carbine to do things that don't need to be done for more money, they same way they did with GW2 to slowly move it into the p2w camp.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

Originally posted by Aeonblades

It's because Massively hasn't been worth reading for a long, long time. Their laughable articles draw in a certain crowd, one that I don't care to be a part of. Anyone who actually puts stock in Massively reviews deserves what they get heh.

Not saying WildStar is a bad game, in fact quite the opposite, but I go back to my original post, a duck is a duck, no matter what you dress it up as. No amount of biased review is going to change that.

IMO it won't be WildStar itself that determines the success of the game, it will be determined by how badly NC$oft mucks it up by forcing Carbine to do things that don't need to be done for more money, they same way they did with GW2 to slowly move it into the p2w camp.

Then again, GW2 had to make money somehow after box sales slowed.  Not saying this is an excuse for P2W though.  Thankfully Carbine has a model that, if successful, could be a nice steady stream of revenue.  I agree though that NCSoft scares me a bit.  I sure hope that the entire situation goes ideally.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by Satsunoryu
    Originally posted by Aeonblades

Then again, GW2 had to make money somehow after box sales slowed.  Not saying this is an excuse for P2W though.  Thankfully Carbine has a model that, if successful, could be a nice steady stream of revenue.  I agree though that NCSoft scares me a bit.  I sure hope that the entire situation goes ideally.

Me too, both for WildStar fans and Carbine. NCSoft made a decision to completely change GW2 from what it was meant to be, and it ended up driving a way a large portion of the player base over time. I sure hope they learned from that mistake and let Carbine run the show the way they want too rather than the way that NCSoft wants them too.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.