Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Spec Help

romanswinterromanswinter Member UncommonPosts: 74

I am hoping some vets out there could give me some advice on general speccing. 

I am still playing on my first character, I made a templar because I wanted to be a healer. However, due to the way the skill system works and because I needed some offensive ability, I have spread out my skill points and am not sure if that was the right decision. 

I am level 8 and one on one I can take anything my level or maybe one level higher. But if I get two mobs on me at once, even if they are a level or two lower - its a tough battle that I sometimes lose. 

Last night, for the lvl 8 first fighter guilds quest I went into the dungeon to fight that solo boss (forget her name) and she wiped the floor with me. I tried 5 times and each time I didnt even come close to beating her. 

I dont know my exact spec at the moment, but its spread out between the healing line, the ranged spell line, sword and board, and armor. I feel like the healing is nearly useless because it takes forever to get the spell off, and it doesnt even heal that well. Combat wise the spells dont seem to do much damage, and using any shield abilities seems to just exhaust me. Clearly I have done something wrong with this character. 

My question is , for when I make future characters, are you speccing primarily in one class line, and one weapon line and thats it? Or are you spreading them out to cover different things? I just feel so gimped and I am hoping its related to the way I specced and not just me as a shitty player. I been playing MMOs since UO and EQ1 so I don't think its that (I hope not anyways).

I am ready to try a new class and want to be able to get the speccing right this time, so any help is appreciated. 

Comments

• Moar61Moar61 Member UncommonPosts: 260

I managed to make a viable healer/dps, although I think I still have ways to go. I have one skill set dedicated to healing with a resto staff and all 5 slots with healing spells. On my other set I'm using a Bow with Poison Arrow and Magnum shot, a self heal skill (forget what it's called), then two Dawns Wrath skills. 

What you should do is have one skill from all three of your class trees until at least level 15 where you can create a new skill set. At your level you'll only need the first 2 healing spells from the templar tree to be a viable healer, 3 at tops if you are using a resto staff. Dedicate the rest of your skills to offense until 15. At that point, you can begin merging off and making your character stronger.

• romanswinterromanswinter Member UncommonPosts: 74

Ok thanks. I will try that. I will have to make a resto staff and see how that works for me. 

I think what I was trying to do was just have enough heals for myself so that I could solo effectively. But things have NOT worked out that way so far. 

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

I think you're referring to the Doshia fight. To win that fight keep her away from the orbs and destroy them asap as they heal her. If you're having trouble doing it as melee as it requires some nimble movements to get from orb to orb (and if you're using stamina attacks you won't be able to dodge or sprint), just equip a staff or bow to pick at them while kiting her away from them.

As for your spec, it would really help to know what you've chosen, but you don't really get into healer necessary content until level 12 with the first dungeon, so it would be good to get a couple offensive abilities.

I can picture the problem now, You've got sun fire (a DoT) and solar flare, puncture, low slash, rushed ceremony and healing ritual available to you. So that's rough.

Take the 1h+shield skills off your bar for that particular fight. Equip a lightning or resto staff. Put Sun Fire, Solar Flare, and Soul Trap (from the world skill line) on your bar with your heals.

Eat +health food and quickslot some mana and health pots. Dot her up and when you see the orbs (they spawn in each corner of the room) zap one and runs towards it so she gets kited away from the other 3. Then just sprint around the room to kill the others. Keep your dots on her in between orb phases.

On a side note, 1h+shield is primarily for tanking, doesn't provide you with much if you're looking to be a healer.

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

From what I know from my limited Beta experience, and anyone with better knowledge please correct me.

Weapons: throw away your sword and board. Go with a Destruction Staff for Offense and Resto Staff for healing as both of these use Magica, This means you can Maximize Magica, put some in Health and ignore Stamina.

Armor: Go Light Armor for Magica. Don't think Holy Pali in Heavy Armor, Heavy Armor is for tanking as it's bonus's are to health (Medium Armor gives Stamina). For the higher level Passives you need 5 of one piece so may you may want to go 5 light and to heavy so you get both Magica and Health boosts.

Skill Points: As someone else said the first two in the Healing Tree will give you an instant and casted AOE heal. The Resto Staff heals will give you additional heals later, for now put your skill points in the Destruction Staff skills. You can branch out later.

Tinker around at ESOhead to give you an idea where to go with your character. At level 8 it's not to late to restart. I normally have a few false starts before I get it right.  http://esohead.com/

• romanswinterromanswinter Member UncommonPosts: 74
    Originally posted by Rusque

I can picture the problem now, You've got sun fire (a DoT) and solar flare, puncture, low slash, rushed ceremony and healing ritual available to you. So that's rough.

Yes, that is exactly what I have going on. Its not only that fight, but just fights in general. If i get two imps on me its really a 50/50 battle. Before leading up to that boss there are three imps together, I couldnt beat them. I had to sneak around them to get to the boss. 

So I guess I totally messed up this spec. I was thinkin pally kind of character but from what everyone here has been saying sword and board is just bad for what I am trying to do. 

Do you know if there is a place or way to respec? I know im only lvl 8 but I would hate to start over. I only get a chance to play for maybe an hour to 90 mins a day and I been playing since 5 day head start with this guy. 

So going back to my original question, for future characters I make is it better to spec in just one line or is it acceptable to cross spec in different spec lines? Or does it really vary for every class?

• ReallymjReallymj Member UncommonPosts: 44
    I play a NB am am currently at level 47. I would recommend finding a good grind spot and just grind out some mobs so that you are a level or 2 higher than the quests. I have noticed among all the quest that I have done is that some are really easy and some such as the guild quests are really harder than what I expected. There have been several fights where I caught myself cursing at the screen several times and just  thinking the boss was imposible to beat. Usually it just took swapping some skills around and then I would find a way to beat it. Other times it was simply a matter of going back after I have leveled up a bit. As to your question of respeccing. Yest this is possible the only thing is its in a high level zone. you can always group with someone and port to them. For Daggerfall its in the city of Wayrest you go to the Temple of the Divine. There are 3 different statues that let you respec stats or skills. I personally don't think that its necessary and it didn't really seem  to me while leveling that I needed to stay in a specific class line. I started out with 1 point in each of the 3 to level them all. And looking back now I have most of the skills in each one. I would say its best to read the skill descriptions and try to find info on the morphed abilities and pick the one that go with your play style. Later on in the game you will have so many options you can get pretty much everything you want.

~Im not what I am~