Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please tell me it gets better, or I've made a big mistake

Comments

• RedcorRedcor Member Posts: 426
     I agree about the combat but I am just starting out and playing with classes. It feels like your just hitting a inanimate object when your in combat. Wish they would have stolen a page from another mmo. Age of Conan has my favorite combat system to date. I am still messing around with it but its just not really pulling me in.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can
    be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
    -Robert E. Howard

• venatsvenats Member Posts: 106
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Karteli

If you wanted a refund prior to launch, it would have been much easier.  The launch version essentially wasn't sold yet, so you could just back out.

Is "i don't like this game" really a valid reason to seek a refund though?

@ OP As Sovarth pointed out we really can't tell you if it will get better for you.

I'd say if you don't like the game-play chances are slim.

They could pull a page out of GW2's book. Offer full refund for within 30 days of purchase.

• deathstrike6deathstrike6 Member UncommonPosts: 10
    I have been playing many many mmo even p2p or f2p type, from aion, tera,guild wars 1,2 dc universe, rift,even final fantasy xiv, every title when it first released and still have to pay for the game or subscription, i bought it, but this is the game i dont want to spend money on, pre-ordered and play till sunday, i couldn't hold on anymore, i have to uninstall it, idk why people saying this game is so hyper, as the owner said, the combat so flat, i couln't recognize which is npc or players, hell, even pvp only for only one big map, the type mmo where u can mix both mele or magic, they should put more focus on pvp, not just like jump in to big map and try to take control over tower, if it just like that i prefer gw2, i would buy this game but not paying monthly fees for it. So for everyone out there, have fun playing it
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Robokapp

@ OP As Sovarth pointed out we really can't tell you if it will get better for you.

"if you're not completely satisfied...money back guaranteed...no questions asked..."

it's in today's culture, regardless if it applies to MMOs or not.

I see that on infomercials not exactly something you see in every day life, most places don't even accept open packages unless it's for store credit.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• CaldicotCaldicot Member UncommonPosts: 454
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    I think the only "big" mistake you can really make with $48 is forgetting to buy a condom.

Hah!

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan

• ThornrageThornrage Member UncommonPosts: 659

What I find interesting is that I completed Glenumbra ... or so I thought. Tonight I was helping a friend kill some of the mini-bosses that are placed around the area and we ran into an area where I had not done the quests. The quests were 10 levels lower but we did them anyway and we found another mini-boss that I had not seen before.

Exploring the world opens up more opportunities. 

I will return to Stormhaven and check every corner of the area before I leave for the next area.

I personally like the game and the quests are a lot more engaging especially since I am reading and listening to the NPCs that give me the quests.

"I don't give a sh*t what other people say. I play what I like and I'll pay to do it too!" - SerialMMOist

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841

If you can't get over the terrible combat, you've probably made a mistake. It's a shame you didn't get into bet to find this out. I gave this game 3 tries, but the combat is just too awful. You're 100% right. there's no "feel" to it like other action MMOs.

Just let it be a lesson. I had to find out the hard way with Guild Wars 2 that it was single player MMO.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Robokapp
    Originally posted by Distopia

If you wanted a refund prior to launch, it would have been much easier.  The launch version essentially wasn't sold yet, so you could just back out.

"if you're not completely satisfied...money back guaranteed...no questions asked..."

it's in today's culture, regardless if it applies to MMOs or not.

Depends on the retailer.  Sometimes they might eat the loss in hopes you come back.

If it was bought digitally, ZOS already knows they won't be seeing you again in their sub game, so they will deny refunds.

I guess the real benefit is to deal with game shops, not directly via DD.  IMO the only responsible people are the game shops.  Once you get to dev/pub levels for anything, you are going to walk away disappointed.  They have no reason to impress you, like those smaller shops.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• ProblemProblem Member UncommonPosts: 77
    Originally posted by adkenner

I was hesitant about this game...but then I read some decent reviews and got a coupon to make it 48 bucks. Seeing as though I don't have much else to play right now..I decided to give ESO a whirl. 

I played for 3 hours this afternoon (before having the game crash)....and I think I've made a big mistake. So far I would have to call this one of the most boring MMO's ive ever played. The combat is flat out TERRIBLE. I'm playing a nightblade, and have tried both melee and ranged....both are equally bad. There is just no "feel". Combat is really clunky...you don't feel like you are actually hitting anything....and its nothing but the same old "hit 1, 2, or 3 until something dies type of bore fest. 

I was not expecting something super ground breaking...but this is just a huge disappointment. 

For those that have been playing all week....does it get better? Am I missing something? Do I just need to level up more to get more interesting skills? Should a try a particular class/style that can make the combat bearable? 

Someone please convince me to log in again....or tell me how to get a refund!! 

No it won't get better. ESO sucks and you don't like it. Period. You have made a bad decision buying it. Uninstall it and don't come back on this forum complaining about a game that YOU don't like.

Citizen: Preach your filth elsewhere!

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Problem

I was hesitant about this game...but then I read some decent reviews and got a coupon to make it 48 bucks. Seeing as though I don't have much else to play right now..I decided to give ESO a whirl. 

I played for 3 hours this afternoon (before having the game crash)....and I think I've made a big mistake. So far I would have to call this one of the most boring MMO's ive ever played. The combat is flat out TERRIBLE. I'm playing a nightblade, and have tried both melee and ranged....both are equally bad. There is just no "feel". Combat is really clunky...you don't feel like you are actually hitting anything....and its nothing but the same old "hit 1, 2, or 3 until something dies type of bore fest. 

I was not expecting something super ground breaking...but this is just a huge disappointment. 

For those that have been playing all week....does it get better? Am I missing something? Do I just need to level up more to get more interesting skills? Should a try a particular class/style that can make the combat bearable? 

No it won't get better. ESO sucks and you don't like it. Period. You have made a bad decision buying it. Uninstall it and don't come back on this forum complaining about a game that YOU don't like.

Playing a game actually entitles a player to talk about the game.  You know, they played it and all, so they have a weighted opinion.  If you don't like the opinion, then you are free to discuss why they are wrong.  But telling them to go away is rather awful..

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600
    I agree with you OP this game sucks balls. It is sort of pretty in places but the combat is wretched, quests are boring, the story line is meh. The game is just ugh. I learned that in Beta, sorry they got your money, but likely you just have to eat the loss, maybe you can find some sucker to buy the used copy and use your account. Other than that don't waste anymore time on this pile of fecal matter.

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

• eriksrevengeeriksrevenge Member UncommonPosts: 13
    If  you're having a blast playing this game, honestly I'm jealous. For me, running into a cave to kill some guy only to find him dead, and then waiting around for him to respawn, is about the opposite of immersion. I want to like it, I keep trying to play it, we'll see.
  • TedgerTedger Member Posts: 20
    I dont understand why ppl dont like this combat system... in wowlikes.. I farking fall a sleep in middle of fight.. havent had that problem in eso :)
  • PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844

Combat is one of the worst i have ever seen in MMO but that was not the selling point for this product.

It tries to give ES experience in MMO and does that pretty well.

Question is,can they produce new Skyrims every now and then ,every 2-6 months ? (new content with good quality)

I think SWTOR tried something similar  in their adventuring game,which is also heavily story based and linear,and they could not.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• TedgerTedger Member Posts: 20
    I hope they add something like darkness falls.. 
  • Iceman8235Iceman8235 Member UncommonPosts: 205
    You can try to get a refund, it might not be too late.  I purchased during the head start and about 3 days after purchasing I petitioned for a refund and received one fairly painlessly.  It might have changed since the game is officially released now, but it's worth a shot.  You can speed things up by including your date of birth, secret question answer, account ID, and last 4 digits of the CC used to purchase the game in your petition.
  • MamasGunMamasGun Member Posts: 152

I agree with everything you said. 

I also agree with everything Rock, Paper, Shotgun said about it in their impressions.  Check it out, see if maybe some of the tings in there ring true to you.  They did for me.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/04/07/impressions-the-elder-scrolls-online/

Loves: SMITE, WildStar, Project Zomboid, PSO2, DCUO,

Worst Online Communities: WoW/WoD(the OG MMO Trolls), DayZ/WarZ, SMITE/LoL/DOTA, EVE Online, APB
    "I’m ready for
    All the comparisons
    I think it’s dumb and it’s embarrassing
    I’m switching off
    No longer listening
    I’ve had enough of persecution and conditioning
    Maybe it’s instinct- We’re only animal"
    - Lily Allen, Sheezus

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571

1. Don't read & trust reviews, especially for AAA huge IP titles.

2. Yes you do.

3. Combat, Animations and Character Movement are all terrible & clunky.

4.  No super ground breaking mmo's anymore.

5. No you don't.

6. There are many threads already in order to find how.

So, not saying its a bad game, but its not for you...at least :)

• KoreanSoWhatKoreanSoWhat Member Posts: 80

As I said before, this game is just another WoW-clone disguised with Skyrim skin. 

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SORRY that you didn't play ESO beta,

if you did, there is no way a smart guy like you would have bought this game.

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519

They could pull a page out of GW2's book. Offer full refund for within 30 days of purchase.

No they couldn't.

Most people played GW2 for more then 30 days =P

• ProblemProblem Member UncommonPosts: 77
    Originally posted by Problem

Playing a game actually entitles a player to talk about the game.  You know, they played it and all, so they have a weighted opinion.  If you don't like the opinion, then you are free to discuss why they are wrong.  But telling them to go away is rather awful..

He wasnt even sure he wanted to play the game. Obviously the game is not for him and failed to entertain him and after that he came here begging for someone to tell him how awesome ESO is. Well good riddance sir.

Citizen: Preach your filth elsewhere!

• jesadjesad Member UncommonPosts: 882

This is a hard to believe story, I'm just gonna say it.

• shassshass Member UncommonPosts: 107
    Combat seems as good as or better than most  mmorpgs. At least it's not tabbed targetting. Quests are way better than most. should you take the time to read the backstories the game takes on a real Elder Scrolls flavour which at the end of the day is what it is. Fantastic scenery in places, good crafting. Very happy with it now that it runs a bit better. That's when the servers are actually up. Initial launch put me off, but getting better. They should have stuck with the starter Islands. It is a far better introduction.
  • AlminieAlminie Member UncommonPosts: 114

To be honest your whole explanation sounds like your trying to run ESO on the lowest settings, whats your pc specs?

if you don't mind me asking.

• CalvenCalven Member Posts: 151
    Although I agree with many of your observations, purely based on my beta experience, I would also recommend you get past the starter islands before throwing the game in the bin. I agree, combat is a lackluster, especially archery and its very limited length (I was constantly annoyed about standing very close to an enemy but still had to move closer in order to hit it). I don't think bows are supposed to work that way..