Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift: PvP Dimensions Tools Now Available

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Trion has sent word that Rift players can now start building their own PvP dimensions with the just-released tools. Players can get their hands on faction banners, kill zones, scoreboards and an ingenious things called invisible tiles and spheres that have the potential for all sorts of nefarious hijinks.

Here’s a look at some of the items you can use to create the greatest PvP arena Telara has ever seen:

• Faction Banners and Start Points: Banners in PvP Dimensions allow players to ally themselves with a specific faction (Nightfall, Oathsworn, or Dominion), and Start Points give Dimension designers the ability to set unique spawn points for each.

• Damage and Kill Zones: What’s the fun of an arena without dastardly traps and dangerous obstacles? Place a variety of objects that bring pain – or death! – to areas of your choosing.

• Scoreboards: Of course you’ll need a way to track winners and losers: scoreboards are here to help.

• Invisible Tiles and Spheres: With Invisible Tiles and Spheres you can herd combatants to certain areas or require they make leaps of faith into thin air. The uses for these are absolutely endless!

Check out this nifty introductory video to see what they're all about!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• dotdotdashdotdotdash Member UncommonPosts: 488
    If the implementation works, Rift arguably just stole the show from TESO. Player created PvP maps, if done well, is a guaranteed selling point to those that PvP. Obviously balance is still a concern, but as a RIFT player already... I'm pretty excited.
  • RaapnaapRaapnaap Member UncommonPosts: 455

One of the more interesting additions to Rift, it would seem. If only dimensions aren't so inaccessible to anyone but the richest players. Even a simple rock costs several platinum, and considering you need hundreds of items to even begin making a dimension look unique, that cost adds up quickly.

A missed opportunity, because player generated content adds to the overall value of the game, it would have best been left more accessible, with player creativity being the real limit, not in-game currency or real life money.

• RzepRzep Member UncommonPosts: 767

How is it that Trion and relatively small and new developer is doing the most with the mmo genre...Think of what Blizzard could do with all that money if they had any ambition left. Jeez imagine what a giant like Nexon could do if they tried to outgrow what they are currently.

TESO has been in development for about 7 years and all they really came up with was pretty standard. Not saying it will be bad, but there is not an ounce of ambition or risk taking there.

I hope that sometime in the future Trion makes it big cause they truly deserve it.

• DEAD.lineDEAD.line Member Posts: 424

The intro music on that video gave quite a laugh. image

I'm happy they're linking it with dimensions because that means players can create various kinds of arenas with different topography, allowing for lots of replay value. I'd also hope they allow players to select differen types of game modes, like Team DM, FFA DM, Capture the flag, Last man standing.

I'm starting to wish they'd develop their very own sandboxy type mmo. With Rift's amount of features, Defiance's combat, and now getting Archeage, they'll probably amass quite alot of knowledge. Great stuff Trion.image

• TechnoMonkeyTechnoMonkey Member UncommonPosts: 93
    woop woop... time to revisit Rift?
  • IechinokIechinok Member UncommonPosts: 14
    You know... for something like this, I'm surprised this article was sort of just swept under the rug.
  • JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

Yeah no idea why Rift doesn't even get a mention in building/housing articles and it beats most everything out there by a mile. I expect Landmark will give it a run once things like tools and props are fleshed out (a lot) but until then, Rift is da bomb for builders who want more than blocks.

• SatsunoryuSatsunoryu Member UncommonPosts: 285

The fiance and I have been playing Rift for some time now as we eagerly await the WildStar release.  I have to say, Rift offers, hands down, the most incredible value on the FTP MMO market right now.  It's unreal what they give you access to for free, and if you do decide to put some money into it, they have so many fun ways to spend it.  We have really enjoyed dimensions too, and the PVP dimensions sound like a lot of fun.

I really wish Rift received more attention in the genre.  They deserve it, and Trion is a great company.  Also... Archeage ;).