Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Views on this game

2»

Comments

• grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162
    Originally posted by Beelzebobbie
    I think this game looks to good to be true and that worries me.

The technology to make it all happen is in place.

If you go through Cloud Imperium's employee list you will find an absurd amount of talent.

• agrajaggagrajagg Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by grndzro

If you go through Cloud Imperium's employee list you will find an absurd amount of talent.

Who exactly?  I'm familiar with most of the talent--they are easy enough to cross check.  Only one guy that I can think of has worked on a game that has sold over 2 million copies-and he is not coding.  There are no programmers on staff with the experience required to create what is being pitched. The top guys have been doing Hollywood  movies for the last decade.  The coders are either PS/3 programmers or have worked on smaller/not well received PC titles.  Don't want to burst any bubbles--but rather than say look at the list--why not tell us who you think has the talent to deliver an actual game and not just hype?

• grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162
    Originally posted by agrajagg

Who exactly?  I'm familiar with most of the talent--they are easy enough to cross check.  Only one guy that I can think of has worked on a game that has sold over 2 million copies-and he is not coding.  There are no programmers on staff with the experience required to create what is being pitched. The top guys have been doing Hollywood  movies for the last decade.  The coders are either PS/3 programmers or have worked on smaller/not well received PC titles.  Don't want to burst any bubbles--but rather than say look at the list--why not tell us who you think has the talent to deliver an actual game and not just hype?

Why don't you look them up.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link?channel=transmission&series=meet-the-team&type=&text=&sort=publish_new

• vgamervgamer Member Posts: 195

To the people who keep saying all ships are obtainable in game, i would be careful with that. I once played an mmo (I think it was digimon masters online) of which i was really excited about to play it, i was a big fan.

They told all digimon were obtainable in game despite having a cash shop selling digimons. So trusting them, I started playing and I realized it would took at least a year of hardcore grinding to get your own second digimon... 

So saying something is obtainable in game does not mean it is also realistically obtainable in game. Just a heads up

• screecwescreecwe Member UncommonPosts: 127
    Originally posted by vgamer

To the people who keep saying all ships are obtainable in game, i would be careful with that. I once played an mmo (I think it was digimon masters online) of which i was really excited about to play it, i was a big fan.

They told all digimon were obtainable in game despite having a cash shop selling digimons. So trusting them, I started playing and I realized it would took at least a year of hardcore grinding to get your own second digimon... 

So saying something is obtainable in game does not mean it is also realistically obtainable in game. Just a heads up

So? Did CIG make that game? Nothing they have said or done has shown any hint that they would do this. In fact, they have mentioned that they want to make a ship like the Constellation(the most expensive available pledge ships) take about 60 hours to purchase. 

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Originally posted by screecwe
    Originally posted by vgamer

So? Did CIG make that game? Nothing they have said or done has shown any hint that they would do this. In fact, they have mentioned that they want to make a ship like the Constellation(the most expensive available pledge ships) take about 60 hours to purchase. 

Even if it takes more than 60 hours to get, Star Citizen isn't about owning bazillions of ships as fast as possible. You can only fly one at a time and the more ships you own the more it will cost in upkeep.

Originally posted by agrajagg

Why don't you look them up.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link?channel=transmission&series=meet-the-team&type=&text=&sort=publish_new

Indeed--have you actually checked the backgrounds of those folks?  CIG is incredible at doing promotions.  Unfortunately not so good on delivering actual code.  Who exactly will be writing the code for Star Citizen?   Refer to my first post--the folks on staff are either PS/3 developers, folks with less than four years experience/community college grads, or ex-hollywood folks.  Travis Day is the only person on staff that has worked on a recent game that has sold over 2 million.  The most notable names hired by Cloud Imperium have already left the building.  

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Views on this game? What game? What you have here ladies and gentlemen is vaporware.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Originally posted by Sephiroso
    Views on this game? What game? What you have here ladies and gentlemen is vaporware.

What we have here, is a person who cannot comprehend the meaning of a simple word like "vaporware"

What we have here, is a person who cannot comprehend the meaning of a simple word like "vaporware"

In what way do i not comprehend the meaning of the word vaporware and in what way did i misuse it? Or are you one of those kitties who think you've gotten your money's worth with the ship hangar simulator?

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

It's going to end in one of two ways like every other crowd funded MMO project:

1. Abandoned

2. Released half way done with most of the features that were promised missing

I have yet to see a single crowd-sourced MMO that looks like it will live up to the hype sans Camelot Unchained, and even then I'm wary of what it will end up being.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• PemminPemmin Member UncommonPosts: 623
    I know what my first goal in the game is going to be. blowing up as many 1000 dollar ships as i can find.
  • DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

A few days more and people can see the dogfighting module in action on PAX.

Would be nice if the vaporware whiners would shut up then. Well, of course they won't.

Whatever their agenda is, it is clear as day that they have one.

Originally posted by Pemmin
    I know what my first goal in the game is going to be. blowing up as many 1000 dollar ships as i can find.

Why stop there? Go for the 5000 ships.

In what way do i not comprehend the meaning of the word vaporware and in what way did i misuse it? Or are you one of those kitties who think you've gotten your money's worth with the ship hangar simulator?

"Vaporware is a term in the computer industry that describes a product, typically computer hardware or software, that is announced to the general public but is never actually released nor officially cancelled. Vaporware is also a term sometimes used to describe events that are announced or predicted, never officially cancelled, but never intended to happen. The term also generally applies to a product that is announced months or years before its release, and for which public development details are lacking."

Calling a game vaporware that is in its normal development cycle with TONS of information coming out almost daily,  is stupid to say the least. By that line of thinking, every game that has ever been developed is vaporware as well.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    There is no game yet.  It is still in development.  

"Vaporware is a term in the computer industry that describes a product, typically computer hardware or software, that is announced to the general public but is never actually released nor officially cancelled. Vaporware is also a term sometimes used to describe events that are announced or predicted, never officially cancelled, but never intended to happen. The term also generally applies to a product that is announced months or years before its release, and for which public development details are lacking."

Calling a game vaporware that is in its normal development cycle with TONS of information coming out almost daily,  is stupid to say the least. By that line of thinking, every game that has ever been developed is vaporware as well.

Exactly what Teala said, there is no game yet. And what information is coming out almost daily? Certainly not concrete things being done to further the development of the actual "game", they're only making new ships for people who are paying 5k-10k dollars for. This is purely vaporware at its finest. The amount of money people are throwing at this is mind boggling.

And what information is coming out almost daily? Certainly not concrete things being done to further the development of the actual "game", they're only making new ships for people who are paying 5k-10k dollars for. This is purely vaporware at its finest. The amount of money people are throwing at this is mind boggling.

Just because you choose to ignore everything coming out, doesn't mean it's not being put out.

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

It's probably too much to expect a company to tell it's customers, no, please stop throwing money at us. Let us first produce something with me more than sufficient budget we already have to prove that we as a company really can do the job.

But really, more than 41 mio $ ? Why are people still throwing money at them, what do they expect ? This will probably not end well. But that's just my feeling. For all those who pledged I really hope it works out, but to be honest it looks more like a bubble which migth explode anytime.

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595
    Originally posted by SEANMCAD
    2. I do think crowdfunding will get to a point where someone is going to get screwed. I just dont think it will be this game specifically. It does have the platform to happen however.

*cough* Greed Monger *cough* *hack*

And what information is coming out almost daily? Certainly not concrete things being done to further the development of the actual "game", they're only making new ships for people who are paying 5k-10k dollars for. This is purely vaporware at its finest. The amount of money people are throwing at this is mind boggling.

Just because you choose to ignore everything coming out, doesn't mean it's not being put out.

Keep telling yourself that 2 years from now and all you have to show for is yet another stretch tier lol.

Originally posted by DocBrody

A few days more and people can see the dogfighting module in action on PAX.

Would be nice if the vaporware whiners would shut up then. Well, of course they won't.

Whatever their agenda is, it is clear as day that they have one.

A controlled demo and releasing something tangible are two different beasts.  If by the end of May there is still no dogfighting module, what should we call it?  Is polished vaporware agreeable?

• IkonisIkonis Member UncommonPosts: 245
    Originally posted by Brenelael
    Originally posted by Ziegler

And number three is the exact reason I dont even look at this game. Basically the guy with the biggest pockets is the best off.

To me, that is like playing chess, and saying...I'm going to pay a 100.00 to get my queen back that you just killed...oh...you cant afford to buy back your lost pieces? ...well, this is going to be a rough game for you then...

But hey, it if works for you, and you're willing to throw that kind of cash around to have a status symbol in a game, there are people more than ready to take your money to allow you to do that.

Maybe you should go and learn a little more before you wade into a forum and make a totally false post like this. The ships in this game use a Rock-Paper-Scissors design philosophy. Just because you bought a bigger ship does not mean you've bought an "I WIN!!!" button. It will take a lot of skill on your part to make the most of any ship. Bigger ships have more firepower but they are also slow and not very maneuverable. Smaller ships don't have as much firepower but they have speed and agility. Larger ships also require other players to make the most of them as well. Also the larger the ship the higher the costs to keep it flying. Also the game will have ship insurance so if you lose your ship and it's insured you'll get another stock model... You'll just lose your upgrades if any. Also anything that is being sold now will be available in game for in game currency once the game goes live.

Your post just shows that you know very little about this game and you've made your decision based 100% on the fact that the game is crowd funded and you never bothered to do any research beyond that point.

Bren

Ahh the same old tired line. Do research. Do research on what? A bunch of words? Nothing they have said and written is anything more than unproven concepts with nothing to back it up. 

They can SAY more money does not equal power, they can give you a spreadsheet full of numbers that you can theory craft to claim everything is balanced, but until there is gameplay to prove that, it is just lip service.

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005
    Originally posted by Force_Fire

Smells like........Vaporware. But for the sake of argument, let's say it's real.

MY VIEW: Given everything I've seen to date, I think at best they make an okay single player space sim. Furthermore, what's to stop these people from writing themselves fat checks out of the investor cash and just string people along by selling them more virtual goods they can't even use in game?  It's not even an MMORPG (unless they are now promising that too)

Honestly, watch their Q&A videos. They say "YES!!!" to every feature request.  I will be shocked if they can pull off even a quarter of the features they are promising. It's like they are just telling people anything to get their money.

"What? You want a Space Unicorn that shoots RAINBOWS out it's ass? You got it! now send us more money!"

My view. Take what you will, But this thing stinks.

This is pretty sensible, I have been burned already with all of these "Pay now, play later" schemes, CubeWorld, took a metric ton of money in the first months, recently announced there wouldnt be any more updates, its basically a dead shell of what could have been an amazing game, lots of potential etc... , RUST, same deal here, lots of updates to begin with, updates have been getting slower and slower ever since they announced they sold X million units of the game, again logging in to find that barely anything has changed, so much potential.

With Star Citizen its the same thing, except there is literally no game yet, its all "hope" I cant bank on "hope" for games anymore I dont think, I love the concepts in this game, I really want it to succeed and I hope it delivers on everything they promised but experience tells me they wont, and having been burned in the past I am not giving them any money until I can start to see progress and gameplay. 

But I am happy other people are funding this.

Edit:

At one point I thought that CCP could pull off massive features on EVE, I mean they are an estabilished tech company, and even them failed to deliver on the whole walking on stations and avatars + spaceships after many many years of demo tech being shown, this just further makes me suspicious that these guys will be able to pull it off.