Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Guild Wars 2: Megaservers and You

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

ArenaNet saved the best – or at least the biggest – announcement for last. Megaservers will fundamentally change how Guild Wars 2 operates, altering the dynamics of its social structure and its biggest events. Change of this magnitude is rarely universally accepted, and a quick browse through the forums and social media will tell you that's the same in this case. So what's the good and what's the bad of this new, Tyria-shattering tech?

Read more of Jason Winters' Guild Wars 2: Megaservers & You.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912
    I am all for the megaserver and incoming changes, I just wish this game had the trinity system. Hell, even the original GW had it. Bring back the monk ANet!!! Bring back real GvG, you alianated your original fanbase!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Oh this is kind of disappointing. It's a PvE only merger and doesn't actually "merge" anything. Oh well, at least they are trying again. Good luck Anet!

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• SadSwordfishSadSwordfish Member CommonPosts: 78

marz.at.play@ I think that's a terrible idea. The game still encompasses healing, AOE, buffs, debuffs, tanking, a taunt mechanic, CC and so on. It's just scaled down, and the game asks everyone to chip in. You can still buff and build yourself a tank character, but nobody is so outragously over-healing people so people are just doing the same thing for 20 minutes. 

People constantly have to dodge out of the way, let someone in, get someone who can get the aggro and hold it, while the other guy heals up, groups have to use combo fields (most people don't know). I'm playing a AOE healer in guardian and it's really fun. Essentially I am healing people like crazy, it's just called support. The game is just build around a different damage migration, and I think it's a lot more fun this way.

It's misunderstood that the skill level is somehow higher because you can press a dedicated taunt button or have players being dedicated healers without having to do anything else. 

Ideally a MMORPG would be able to hand all players. If a game world was scaled for earth through a randomly generated terrain, we wouldn't need to seperate players on different servers. IMO there should only be one big server. That would be a lot more immersive instead of hanging out with the same pool of 3000-5000 people for the duration of the game. 

I am optimistic and look forward to seeing how the changes will affect the game. Should be interesting. There is a lot of things that look interesting in this feature update. By far one of the biggest quality-of-life-patches I have ever seen for a MMO.

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345
    So it's a server merge?
    Originally posted by nyxium
    So it's a server merge?

It's a server merge without actually merging servers from what I understood. So a majority of WvW brackets will stay empty.

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    So it's a server merge?

It's a server merge without actually merging servers from what I understood. So a majority of WvW brackets will stay empty.

This reminds me of what Blizzard did with cross-realms. That epic saga is still unfolding too. Are players numbers down in GW2? It's why Blizzard had to do it, players dropping out.

Originally posted by Aeonblades
    So it's a server merge?

This reminds me of what Blizzard did with cross-realms. That epic saga is still unfolding too. Are players numbers down in GW2? It's why Blizzard had to do it, players dropping out.

Last time I played about a month ago, the only servers worth even trying to get a group together for something on were the top 4 tier servers. The farther down the ladder you go, the more barren they became.

• SadSwordfishSadSwordfish Member CommonPosts: 78

Nobody knows the number has they haven't released it, but even at launch GW2 always was barren in parts of the world. No matter were you go in the game, you get scaled to that place, so many places have few players. 

its been like this always, so it's a welcome change to make some of the areas more populated.

there is a technology behind the mega server that tries to put you with people who you are friends with, in guild with, or who speak the same language as you, or have some other things in common with you.

• Gel214thGel214th Member UncommonPosts: 188

So this is a bit like what Elderscrolls is doing with their own Megaserver. Interesting. 

• kinartkinart Member UncommonPosts: 127
    Megaserver? ROFL. They actually had that in GW1 (you didn't choose a server there) and they were accused of "not being an RPG" - and i guess that's the reason they put the traditional servers back in. Now that ESO had successfully marketed the exact same thing, they 're putting it back. That's kind of hilarious.
  • liixanderliixander Member UncommonPosts: 7
    I think the megaserver will be great.  Definitely have the problem of empty zones as a lvl 18 player in GW2 right now with group events... there's nobody to group with typically.
  • cprikcprik Member UncommonPosts: 38
    The problem with this game isnt the lack of trinity, cus its there. But the fact that there is no mana/energy management plus you can jump around doing everything makes it a clusterfuck. Implement mana and stand still combat for casters (except a few) and im pretty sure the game wpuld be much more enjoyable!
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by cinos

Hell no!

Go and play GW1 if you want the trinity, or any of the other hundreds of games that use that class system. :p

NO!  Every game has to have it or it's a failure!  Hundreds of games are not enough!  *stomps feet*

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Originally posted by kinart
    Megaserver? ROFL. They actually had that in GW1 (you didn't choose a server there) and they were accused of "not being an RPG" - and i guess that's the reason they put the traditional servers back in. Now that ESO had successfully marketed the exact same thing, they 're putting it back. That's kind of hilarious.

yeah because a dev can pull a huge mega server plan in less then a month, just because a game did that, right....

kids again, ESO is no treat to any game, even less for gw2 who don't require a monthly fee.

part of it was because some maps was pretty empty because there is not many events there or the most enjoyed events happen in other maps, is not wonder most living story content when they need a map they choose the most empty ones to happen things there.

only thing i'm seeing here is more empty maps can now have the whole player base to try be together in a map, the guest system is pretty much permited that much they just want to keep it even simpler, (since they are also changing the way the point system works to make it more simpler for people) now for people saying gw2 should be like gw1, since launch the devs said gw2 will not compete for the players in GW1, they amke the game diferently, and even almost 2 years after launch you guys still complain about it? please move on.

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • leoo88556leoo88556 Member Posts: 135
    The feature patch might not solve some of the bigger issues, but most of them consist of nice changes nonetheless. Anet still need to step up their game in Living Story season 2 and just give people a interesting story though.
  • RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Originally posted by liixander
    I think the megaserver will be great.  Definitely have the problem of empty zones as a lvl 18 player in GW2 right now with group events... there's nobody to group with typically.

Heck... I have a lvl 77 character, and even those zones are empty.  It's the negative aspect of having a big game world and then being able to level up even in low level zones.

I'm looking forward to this update for a lot of reasons, the megaserver being far from the least of them.  I haven't played much over the past 6 months, but this release may very well bring me back.

• AdrenAdren Member UncommonPosts: 69
    you ppl forget ESO isnt the first to do thi..Aion has had a merged central server for a while..ESO has just 1 server period..Aion and soon to be GW2 allows u to play on your server and also play on a central mega server combining all the servers together