Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO = ADD Online? I'm enjoying the game but, I don't have the ADD I feel like this game expects me

Abuz0rAbuz0r Member UncommonPosts: 550

For those of you in rio linda, Attention deficit disorder.

Everything in this game, every conceivable activity I undertake, is aimed at a 5-15 minute engagement.  There's no activity you can lock down on and spend some time doing.  Every quest feels very square and straightforward and simple and fun but there's no real engagement.

I'm not complaining, it's just that changing gears every 5 to 15 minutes you're playing gives you massive opportunities to get distracted or go make a drink or something to the point that it wears on you after a while.

The game has so many non-repetitive activities that they start to feel repetitive because you're doing so many of them.

The longest time I spent doing any 1 activity was about 30 minutes scavenging for materials that I used up in about 5 minutes of crafting.  I have made all my own armor, weapon, shield, runes, it's actually pretty cool.  Every 2 levels I can make myself a new armor set and weapon. I'm happy about that.

I just wish there was a dungeon you could get into like in Skyrim that takes you an hour or 2 to complete.  I understand group dungeons wouldn't fly if they lasted that long, but atleast a solo dungeon or 2 that does.  

It seems every place I go, there's a main quest and a sub quest, the sub quest is a distraction while you're there.  The main quest takes you to the next area where you find another sub quest you can do.  The mainquest subquest is what feels repetitive not the quests themselves.

Ok I sound like I'm complaining so I'm going to shut up.  I just played ESO all day and had a lot of fun but I feel exhausted from chasing these quests all around.  

I found some cool tresure chests :D And I went fishing.  I don't have ADD promise xD

Comments

• DaranarDaranar Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Everything in this world caters to the attention deficit these days.   Long gone are the marathon table top campaigns (or table top games in general), long gone are the EQs, DAoCs, ACs, etc... and the hour upon hour raids.   Long gone are the Myst games.   If you can't give someone a reward quick enough, you will lose their attention.   For the love of God, humans have begun limiting communication to 140 character slices.   This is the fundamental problem with a lot of things in life, but primarily the down fall of MMOs.   Developers cater to the masses, the masses are ADD.   

If I want a world in which people can purchase success and power with cash, I'll play Real Life. Keep Virtual Worlds Virtual!

• BloodDualityBloodDuality Member UncommonPosts: 404
    I'm not even playing this game, but I admit I would be part of the problem. I work 10 hour days on second shift. So getting home at 2am playing a game a bit and doing a few quests before I go to sleep feels good. Makes me feel like I actually acomished something in the short amount of free time I have. 
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Explore.  When I get tired of quests, crafting, and playing other characters,  I jump on my horse and explore higher zones.  Just stay on the road or near the road and you should be fine.  Discover way shrines and cites to get extra xp just by running around and looking at stuff.  I did this in GW2 and died a lot cause lower level characters have a higher agro  field in high areas.  But not in this game.  When done, find a shrine and go back to questing. Nice thing about shrines is the cost is the same no matter how far you go, free.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

That's pretty much the direction "modern" themepark MMORPG's are going.  Games get dumbed down even further with each iteration, in order to target a brand new audience.

Games get more and more and more and more boring with each iteration of other games.  What is boring to someone else, can actually be interesting to yet another person if it were dumbed down even more .. hence a new market.  The next themepark MMORPG.

MMORPG companies are here.

Not much to say really with current games, many have seen it.   Like you said 5-15 minutes here and there but no non lasting commitments to anything important.  Nothing really lasting .. I saved the world!  OK what's next?  I saved the world again! .. now what?  I just saved the world again??

Join a sandbox game perhaps, where stuff doesn't happen like that, it could take seconds, minutes, days, weeks.  Months if dedicated  people are involved to make a change.  Games that insist on involvement are worth playing, from my experience.  Each minute counts too, and everything changes, but interesting changes.

The beauty of a good sandbox is that there are ALWAYS distractions, and they don't matter much, individually.  Goals can be met, because it's a lively world in flux.  Not do this, then do that.  great you are rewarded,  now do this...

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    Can't even quest without the constant interruption of running out of inventory space.  They intentionally made way too many different items to collect.  Too negative effect imo.
  • CrazyhorsekCrazyhorsek Member UncommonPosts: 272
    Originally posted by Abuz0r

The game has so many non-repetitive activities that they start to feel repetitive because you're doing so many of them.

lol... okay... I guess...

• ArixtotleArixtotle Member Posts: 31
    Originally posted by Daranar
    Everything in this world caters to the attention deficit these days.   Long gone are the marathon table top campaigns (or table top games in general), long gone are the EQs, DAoCs, ACs, etc... and the hour upon hour raids.   Long gone are the Myst games.   If you can't give someone a reward quick enough, you will lose their attention.   For the love of God, humans have begun limiting communication to 140 character slices.   This is the fundamental problem with a lot of things in life, but primarily the down fall of MMOs.   Developers cater to the masses, the masses are ADD.   

As someone with AD/HD I can firmly tell you that a VAST amount of the world does not cater to AD/HD.  AD/HD is an actual mental disability which severe consequences.  You, the OP and most in this thread are making light of it and you should all just stop.  

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by Crazyhorsek

lol... okay... I guess...

Such an in depth response.

• Whiplash931Whiplash931 Member Posts: 36
    Originally posted by Arixtotle

As someone with AD/HD I can firmly tell you that a VAST amount of the world does not cater to AD/HD.  AD/HD is an actual mental disability which severe consequences.  You, the OP and most in this thread are making light of it and you should all just stop.  

.......................................................*walks away*

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

I just wish there was a dungeon you could get into like in Skyrim that takes you an hour or 2 to complete.  I understand group dungeons wouldn't fly if they lasted that long, but atleast a solo dungeon or 2 that does.  

I completley would love that. They will have epic dungeons where you can take a friend or three and "go nuts".

They won't be like the solo games but it will give you more and hard content to do.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MaggonMaggon Member UncommonPosts: 360
    Originally posted by Karteli

[mod edit]

I don't think he actually meant it as people can't talk about it, it's often that (as to what I have seen) that people tend to talk about ADD/ADHD and make it to be something which it is not.

Though I agree it can be hard to tell the difference between one or the other, then it's not always the same, and we all differen't people.

Take as to what you said about yourself thinking that you might have ADD because you keep jumping between things because you get bored, doesn't necessarily mean that you have ADD/ADHD (it is ofcourse not for me to say since I'm no psychiatrist ;p)

EDIT: While there's also been seen quite a lot of cases where people are actually putting the "blame" on how games are turning out (not to their liking or whatever) onto those with ADD or ADHD.

Anyway, that's how I feel, and what I read it as. - Not trying to derail the thread or anything.

On topic; I'm not really sure how something non-repetitive can become repetitive - Doesn't that just make it repetitive from the start ?

• GuyClinchGuyClinch Member CommonPosts: 485

[mod edit]

ESO does not imagine you have ADD - read the books and the quests take way longer then 15 minutes..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXxJTKOhSW4

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Maggon

On topic; I'm not really sure how something non-repetitive can become repetitive - Doesn't that just make it repetitive from the start ?

Functions so similar that they seem like your doing the same thing over, and over, and over, even if they are different.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• KnotwoodKnotwood Member CommonPosts: 1,103
    Everything the OP says is the reason I most love this game.    So many things you can do will keep me in this game for a very very very very long time!
  • VoqarVoqar Member UncommonPosts: 510

Welcome to modern MMORPGs - designed for "mass appeal" and "casuals" - where the game is 95% solo ez mode dumbed down the the least common denominator.  Til you get to the "real game" of course - at end game - where you mostly group.  It makes perfect sense.

Solo ez mode kind of has to be easy by default and design - it's not like creating content for the worst player of the worst build could ever be anything but "ADD" in design.

There was a time when the MMORPG genre was kind of hard core and had "limited appeal" to just people who wanted challenge, full time grouping, and the memories and communities that resulted but even though that gameplay ESTABLISHED the genre and was successful, it didn't have glitzy numbers the money hungry corporations crave - and so - now we have these weird pseudo MMORPGs that are half single player game and half grouping game with a dash of weak PvP such that they end up being weak at everything - you get far better solo in real single player games (better immersion, decisions with meaning, far better story and depth, you get way better PvP in just about any other genre that has PvP, and you get way better grouping in...err...doh....nvm....MMORPGs used to be the genre where you played to group....now we have nothing.

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Ever Wonder why Blizzard stopped with 40 man raids?

Ever Wonder why SOE stopped with very long Raids and dungeons and chopped them down to different "seperate" wings?

Companies finally realised that making content only accessible to less than 5% of the gaming population is no longer feasible. Leaving the other 95% hanging dry when reaching the cap.

There aren´t many People without a social life, work or School, etc that can come home, Lock themselves up in a room (will resist to use basement this time) and sit behind the computer for 8 hours straight... day after day.

With EverQuest 2 (as example), the entire Dungeons are still very long, but because it´s split up in different wings, People With less time on their hands can still participate and Complete a Wing at a time and do the other wings on other days.

FFXIV:ARR does it too and so do other MMO´s now. And! It´s a success! If you like it or not! As more People can enjoy that content now, instead of the select few.

Why force People to sit behind the computer for 6 to 8 hours straight? It´s not even healthy.

Just my 2 cents.

PS. I did those Raids too in the past when I was single and living alone.  Now I have a Family and have to plan my gaming sessions.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

This game does focus mostly on "complete this, then that, then this other thing now, or else" syndrome.

I like the game.. but I have a ton of problems with it,  nothing obviously that has stopped me from playing, but there have been times I get frustrated.. close the laptop and walk away for a bit.  

One thing I don't like is the "exploration"  which has been pretty much minimapped for your convenience for pretty much everything.  I mean you could use this to pretend you're only doing a "single thing"  but in order to do JUST a single thing you have to complete all the little things or you'll just be going back to do them all again later.

For example, the "torch" map icon,  thats pretty much what you could consider an "explorable cave"  and when you see one, you know inside there, you will have a 1) boss to beat to complete the cave   2) a skyshard to find  3) a quest to complete.

Now sometimes you'll find the quests outside of the cave,  sometimes you'll find them inside...  but the point is..  seeing that map icon isn't "exploring" really,  when you see it, you now have 3 things to do instead of like in games like Skyrim, where you were really just going in to see what kind of monsters you'd fight and what kind of loot you'd find.   Now if you don't complete these specific objectives when you see a torch, then you'll be back later if you want to get the achievement and completion.

This goes the same way with the anchor quests...  and I find the only time I'm ever truly excited about a map icon is when I see the boss icons,  because they can sometimes be challenging and fun.

So as far as PvE goes,  I'm kind of with you... you have to get into the flow of banging out quests, unless you really just want to farm mats or mobs all day... otherwise you're right... its just bouncing back and forth to different objectives (and hopefully those quest objectives won't be broken).

• AsariashaAsariasha Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Before judging TESOs difficulty you should level up and enter the zones after starter area and first main zone. The difficulty rises zone after zone. It is still doable but mindlessly spamming abilities and rampaging through a dugeon will lead to imminent death.
  • uidLuc1duidLuc1d Member UncommonPosts: 194
    This was actually a selling point for me.
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

For those of you in rio linda, Attention deficit disorder.

Everything in this game, every conceivable activity I undertake, is aimed at a 5-15 minute engagement.  There's no activity you can lock down on and spend some time doing.  Every quest feels very square and straightforward and simple and fun but there's no real engagement.

I'm not complaining, it's just that changing gears every 5 to 15 minutes you're playing gives you massive opportunities to get distracted or go make a drink or something to the point that it wears on you after a while.

The longest time I spent doing any 1 activity was about 30 minutes scavenging for materials that I used up in about 5 minutes of crafting.  I have made all my own armor, weapon, shield, runes, it's actually pretty cool.  Every 2 levels I can make myself a new armor set and weapon. I'm happy about that.

It seems every place I go, there's a main quest and a sub quest, the sub quest is a distraction while you're there.  The main quest takes you to the next area where you find another sub quest you can do.  The mainquest subquest is what feels repetitive not the quests themselves.

Ok I sound like I'm complaining so I'm going to shut up.  I just played ESO all day and had a lot of fun but I feel exhausted from chasing these quests all around.  

I found some cool tresure chests :D And I went fishing.  I don't have ADD promise xD

just incase you missed it... maybe you didnt pay enough attention:

the whole story in each area concludes around one or 2 main events. it's building up to a grand finale as it seems to me atm. so yea... can't agree on that one.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• ArndushArndush Member Posts: 303
    Originally posted by adam_nox
    Can't even quest without the constant interruption of running out of inventory space.  They intentionally made way too many different items to collect.  Too negative effect imo.

You don't have to loot everything. For example, there is no point to collect provisioning materials if you're not provisioning. Most of them, if not all have no vendor value.

• Tindale111Tindale111 Member UncommonPosts: 276
    Originally posted by adam_nox

try using the bank it has 50 or 60 slots in their also works like gw2 items in bank can be used at crafting tables .also you can feed your horse for extra slots 

• ArixtotleArixtotle Member Posts: 31

Originally posted by Karteli

[mod edit]

No the OP should stop making light of AD/HD.  I did NOT say they should stop posting altogether.  I have no idea how you came to that conclusion.

At the rest of your post, what the hell are you talking about?  I said nothing that would warrant any of your responses.  I HAVE AD/HD as I said in my other post.  Your post literally makes no sense whatsoever.  

[mod edit]

Yes it does though it should really be called Executive Function Deficit Disorder since it is a breakdown of certain executive functions that have to do with working memory and self regulation.

Originally posted by GuyClinch

[mod edit]

ESO does not imagine you have ADD - read the books and the quests take way longer then 15 minutes..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXxJTKOhSW4

It is NOT awesome.  It sucks completely and makes life far harder.