Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wildstar: what's the thrill?

Xblade724Xblade724 Member UncommonPosts: 54

I tried Wildstar beta close to release and... I was not impressed at all. In fact, I felt like I was playing Ratchet and Clank online. Don't get me wrong, r&c is awesome, but not what I expected in an online MMO with so much hype. 

I mean especially compared to other games, what the hell? 

O_____o

---------------------------
Former EQ1 Rallos Zek (PvP)
Ascendant Chronei Immortal of Rallos Zek
(Now @ Prexus)

Comments

• RylahRylah Member UncommonPosts: 194
    Exactly the same experience. Double Jump is nice, but it doesn't make a game. The rest was just at or slighly below median.
  • DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697
    Originally posted by Rylah
    Exactly the same experience. Double Jump is nice, but it doesn't make a game. The rest was just at or slighly below median.

What parts of the game you consider to be below average? Could you please list the games which you consider doing those parts better?

• waveslayerwaveslayer Member UncommonPosts: 511

whats the thrill? funny you even ask that question, what is thrilling to you may not be thrilling to me. I personally like mmorpgs but hardly find any of them thrilling(except for exploration in pre any expansion EQ)

Anyone who has played MMorpgs for more then a week knows what one person likes another may not. If the purpose of your thread is to start a bash fest of Wildstar I am sure you will be thrilled.

Personally, what little time I have got to spend in WS beta, I find the game to be OK, need more time in it to decide if its worthy of purchasing, the game I am currently playing has definatly ran its course with me and I am looking to move on to another game and its between WS and TESO.

Godz of War I call Thee

• strangepowersstrangepowers Member UncommonPosts: 630

Originally posted by Xblade724
    I tried Wildstar beta close to release and... I was not impressed at all. In fact, I felt like I was playing Ratchet and Clank online. Don't get me wrong, r&c is awesome, but not what I expected in an online MMO with so much hype. 

I mean especially compared to other games, what the hell? 

O_____o

What an extremely subjective question, it almost smells like Troll bait.

Personally I never liked Ratchet and Clank, did not think it was awesome....

What is "thrilling" for one is boring for the next guy.

Folks throwing out blanket statements without any reasoning behind it other than personal bias immediately flag themselves as having nothing solid to say.

It's like Tiny Tina... "Reasons!"

• RylahRylah Member UncommonPosts: 194
    Originally posted by DeniZg

What parts of the game you consider to be below average? Could you please list the games which you consider doing those parts better?

Arttwork animation. At median. Technically ok, nothing special, I dislike the style, but that is secondary to gameplay.

Combat: At median. Again technically ok, nothing special. Follows the paradigm of reduced skillset.

Storyline: Below median. Personally I found it horrible, but it is in the end as secondary as artwork.

Quests: Below median. Same old, same old with the additional disadvantage of bad descriptions which made the questhelper necessary.

Difficulty: At median. Too easy like about all games coming out lately.

Immersion: For me personally Zero. Felt all the time like in a comic remake of all other themeparks I played in the past with exception of Lotro maybe. Nothing completely bad about it, but nothing outstanding either.

I am perfectly fine if you feel otherwise. You will probably have a different history with MMOs and also probably a different set of things you feel are necessary for a game you want to play happily.

Arttwork animation. At median. Technically ok, nothing special, I dislike the style, but that is secondary to gameplay.

Combat: At median. Again technically ok, nothing special. Follows the paradigm of reduced skillset.

Storyline: Below median. Personally I found it horrible, but it is in the end as secondary as artwork.

Quests: Below median. Same old, same old with the additional disadvantage of bad descriptions which made the questhelper necessary.

Immersion: For me personally Zero. Felt all the time like in a comic remake of all other themeparks I played in the past with exception of Lotro maybe. Nothing completely bad about it, but nothing outstanding either.

I am perfectly fine if you feel otherwise. You will probably have a different history with MMOs and also probably a different set of things you feel are necessary for a game you want to play happily.

I would agree with you on Quests, and maybe on Storyline and Immersion (although these two are very subjective categories).

Artwork and Animations are nothing short of fantastic, while Combat is the most innovative there is, on the MMO market. 

As far as Difficulty goes, many end game testers are confirming that even the first dungeon is hard, let alone heroic dungeons and raids. 

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571

I would agree with you on Quests, and maybe on Storyline and Immersion (although these two are very subjective categories).

Artwork and Animations are nothing short of fantastic, while Combat is the most innovative there is, on the MMO market. 

As far as Difficulty goes, many end game testers are confirming that even the first dungeon is hard, let alone heroic dungeons and raids. 

That's the way i like it! Keep it going Carbine :)

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

I do want to, and will probably, play this at some point. Maybe not at launch, maybe, IDK.

However, I was genuinely interested in why you felt combat was innovative. Are you talking about the telegraphs or something else? I only played in one beta and I didn't really find it that innovative at all. Telegraphs were cool, and I always said that they would allow them to make the game more difficult, less predictable. Apart from that, though, I don't see the innovation.

Story is pretty mediocre IMO. Gameplay is nice and smooth, though. 

Actually, my biggest gripe is no graphics presets. I played the majority of the game on the computer I have in my bedroom hooked up to my plasma tv. So wonkie resolution and an AMD Radeon HD 5k series? I think? Now, I did come to realize that I was using an outdated driver during the beta I played, but without having any graphics presets, it was really difficult to find the sweet spot for performance versus quality. That's one thing I really hope they do iron out. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

Originally posted by CrazKanuk
    I do want to, and will probably, play this at some point. Maybe not at launch, maybe, IDK.

However, I was genuinely interested in why you felt combat was innovative. Are you talking about the telegraphs or something else? I only played in one beta and I didn't really find it that innovative at all. Telegraphs were cool, and I always said that they would allow them to make the game more difficult, less predictable. Apart from that, though, I don't see the innovation.

Story is pretty mediocre IMO. Gameplay is nice and smooth, though. 

Actually, my biggest gripe is no graphics presets. I played the majority of the game on the computer I have in my bedroom hooked up to my plasma tv. So wonkie resolution and an AMD Radeon HD 5k series? I think? Now, I did come to realize that I was using an outdated driver during the beta I played, but without having any graphics presets, it was really difficult to find the sweet spot for performance versus quality. That's one thing I really hope they do iron out. 

How can you say that combat is not innovative at all? It might not be your cup of tea, but currently, there is no game on  MMO market that has such aiming/combat system.

I'm not sure what you mean by graphics presets. Wildstar has more than enough graphic options to adjust. You can even change internal resolution scale, similar to Battlefield 4.

• AsgardxAsgardx Member UncommonPosts: 16
    The combat is really what made me want to flee. It's an MMO, trying to be an Action RPG with ability forecasting amped up to the millionth level from FFXIV. The game feels very strange and out of place to me. I tried two classes and you can easily see a future of nothing but constant moving,dodging, weaving why trying to aim your skills. It's not what I personally am looking for in an MMORPG. I think I will wait for ArcheAge.
  • AtlysAtlys Member Posts: 69
    I only played the first 5 or so levels on an esper and 3 levels of a warrior. Made it out of the tutorial zone for both, and I thought the combat felt a lot like Guild Wars 2. In fact, I would go so far as to say that GW2 did it better. I can't say if Wildstar's combat gets any better at the higher levels, but my thoughts all throughout the beta were "why would I pay $15 a month for Space Guild Wars when I can play Guild Wars for free?"

On the eternal quest for that one perfect MMO.

• GormogonGormogon Member UncommonPosts: 224

GW2 has the same aiming mechanic.  If you get caught in the path or zone of an attack you will get hit.   WildStar dumbs it down by showing you where the attack path/zone is rather than make the player make a judgment call.  I tried playing with the telegraphs off, and the combat felt very close to GW2 to me, albeit with abilities that do some different types of things.  Also, as other WildStar fans are happy to point out to people who complain about telegraphs: Telegraphs aren't original to WildStar, many games have them everywhere.

The one area where WildStar's combat does something that I haven't seen before is the extensive use of attacks that cover abnormal areas (concentric rings, spirals, etc.) and effectively require the player have telegraphs on to avoid them.

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571

No thrill at all. Just having lots of FUN and thats more than enough for a game who is 2 months away from launch.

Btw have a look to Live Stream if you want

http://el.twitch.tv/wildstar

• AtmaDarkwolfAtmaDarkwolf Member UncommonPosts: 353

I 'mostly' liked wildstar... but there was one thing that prevents me from 'enjoying' it. (I Doubt i'd ever go back simply because of this 'one' minor thing ....)

Its mouse-look. the game seems so .. 'designed' for it, in almost every aspect (Combat, movement, even interacting with npcs) yet its NOT an option without modding. (And modding is 'against the rules' and often causes strange 'mouse locked' bugs when u try to alt tab)

Sad really. If i later find out ML is included in the game as a WORKING and OFFICIAL part of the game, I'll toss 3-6 months of vip cash at it just to see if it'll be a stay or nay. But without (Esp being the game just really looks like it was DESIGNED AROUND mouse-look style control, then someone 'forgot' to put it back in...) mouse-look, the game is just a nogo.

Truth is, this game with nwo's combat would be instant win.(then again, nwo got that right, if nothing else, and most mmo's these days, gw2, ws, hell even older games like sto, wow, and ddo could use this type of combat)

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

I had the same experience. For instance: I felt like I had already done all the quests before. Then I thought to myself and realized that I had. In many other mmo's. Accept quest, run  50 feet and blow a horn in someones face. Run another 50 feet and blow a horn in someone elses face. Repeat a few more times and complete quest. I wish I were making this up...

Also you're dead on about immersion. There just isn't any. It's very much a traditional quest hub grinding theme-park mmo, with heavy stylization to make you feel like you're playing a late 90's arcade game.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

I think the combat is entertaining but the rest of the game has been forgettable thus far.

Graphics are nice and colorful, but they're almost exactly like WoW except I don't think the art direction is as good and the gameworld is fairly generic.  The game also seems to have some pretty major performance issues that need to be ironed out.  ESO looks far better and ran silky smooth even in beta.

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197

Quests often have arcade elements... so they're not all EXACTLY like your traditional kill X quests, but there are many of them as expected.

No mention for the housing?... it's fucking awesome! I was more excited about housing item drops than actual gear :)

It's also harder than your typical MMO... I actually have to think about what skills I'm using to kill normal mobs. Mobs also have a nice variation of abilities which you need to look out for (especially when they're 2-3 in number).

Animation and polish in game is absolutely top notch.

All in all it's a very good themepark mmo.

Housing, active combat and the difficulty are what will keep me interested for a while.

..Cake..

• VoqarVoqar Member UncommonPosts: 510

It's more the fact that WildStar brings next to nothing new to the table and is just an average and typical MMORPG.  The classes are ok.  The AMP system is bland up front and miserable to go deep into (whereas most games have character development tied to leveling, not randomness, gold thrown down, grinding for 10 months).  The combat is ok - it's action style - but nothing really remarkable - no slick animations or anything - just the basics.  The graphics look like WoW 2.0 (I like stylized cartoony graphics but there is nothing remarkable about them in WildStar to me - I barely even get a sci-fi vibe out of the game, it could be fantasy with cyberpunk touches - like WoW).  The questing is typical linear hub based repetition.  The instances have insane volumes of time wasting trash.  The quests are designed for 2 year olds with ADD and give out awesome loot for doing nothing (typical solo ez-mode cheese).  Mediocre character creation (actually incredibly poor considering it's 2014 and a premium priced box with a future sub).  Really weird crafting system (might be a plus for some but to me it's just weird).

A lot of this is fairly typical of crappy modern MMORPGs and you very quickly feel like you've already done this - plenty.

So far for me the best parts of WildStar have been the instance bosses (very well done but I could say the same for FFXIV and TSW and most decent MMORPGs) - but the instances have lame quests (in styles you do to death the whole game so why), way, way, way too much trash (I'm spoiled by TSW and the idea of absolutely loving boss focused instances with more bosses), and crap rewards for time/effort vs the nonstop class specific handouts you get for doing utterly simple/trivial solo content.   FFXIV was the same to me - awesome boss fights but idiotic amounts of trash and crap rewards for the effort and time.  It's as if people who do instances need to be punished on top of going thru the trouble for forming groups and grouping.  Ladies and gentlemen - your modern solo heavy anti grouping MMORPGs.  /golfclap

I like the adventure thing too - I've been advocating randomized content in instances since seeing how awesome it was done in EQ's LDON (or in diablo, or in so many other games and genres - why MMORPGs go for mostly static content that has next to no fun replay value is beyond me).   Adventures are more zergy, less challenge, and give more rewards than real 5-mans but they're still fun (and of course, the easier content yields better rewards - it's the solo ez-mode MMORPG mantra - nonstop instant gratification for playing without spilling too much on your bib).

If you were already playing an MMORPG you like, why would you switch to WildStar?  If you're tired of the incessant "wider appeal" be everything to everyone and do no particular thing very well style of MMORPG formula of fail games...why would you want to hop into WildStar when it will most certainly SWTOR hard (sell lotsa units - maybe - might not even do that - and have lots of dropoff as casuals and soloists finish the solo ez mode joke conent - and eventually go F2P within a year).

I've been following WildStar for quite some time and I thought it looked innovative and good thru the videos and dev speaks but having played it for 3 beta weekends now, tried every class to some extent, tried all the content available thru 20 even BGs that I usually could care less about (not bad but low level BGs are usually the only ones I enjoy since the grief, gear, other imbalances don't taint it), all that, and I really feel kind of "meh" about the game.  It's a good game.  I'll play it - mostly because I just want a new MMORPG and one can hope that 21-30 are more interesting and that endgame is fun - but I just don't see anything remarkable about the game now except it's extreme mediocrity.

FFXIV is terrible.  NWN is beyond terrible.  I bought in to GW2 hype and enjoyed it as a single player game but I think it's a terrible MMORPG because the grouping in it sucks (turns out that MMORPGs without trinity suck because roles make for more sophisticated and satisfying group content - to me and everyone else that I talked into GW2, many of whom didn't even make it to cap before bailing).  I only tried ESO in beta and found it to be weak Skyrim and a weak MMORPG - Skyrim is one of the best cRPGs ever - insane immersion, stories, dungeons, game-wide effects from decisions - most of which can't be done in an MMORPG (are you really immersed with 20 other people running around your screen no matter how well done the tiny zones with brutal loading screens are?).  TSW actually has a lot of good stuff about it - best single player content ever in an MMORPG, insanely fun instances, very tight endgame - but funcom is inept, didn't expand on endgame, keeps making more solo content that takes months to produce and scant hours to obliterate, and when one character can be everything there's little to no replay value, and with no endgame progression no reason to stick with the game.  Good game - terrible company that has no long term clue.

So I guess the other thing you could say that's good about WildStar is that at least it doesn't suck as much as other recent MMORPGs.  It's typical of everything a modern MMORPG should have.  Solo ez mode.  Obligatory instanced PvP garbage.  PvP servers for d00ds to get their grief on, instances, endgame, etc.  Nothing really remarkable - just the basics done well.

I'm personally sick of the modern MMORPG style and would like to see the abandoning of "going for wider appea" "appealing to casuals" and dumbed down instant gratification crapfests and a return to somewhat more hard core, challenging, grouping 95% of the time classic MMORPG gameplay - the gameplay that created and defined the genre since at this point it would feel new and different.

But if you just want yet another WoW clone of a modern MMORPG game that once again isn't as good as the WoW it clones so you may just as well play WoW and stop screwing around....then WildStar is the type of game for you.

You could almost call WildStar WoW 2.0, NOW with action style combat, a new graphics engine where you'll have to strain to notice a difference, and even less interesting class mechanics and character development than bliz has produced by gutting WoW for the past several years.  Yay.

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.

• SatsunoryuSatsunoryu Member UncommonPosts: 285
    Love WildStar, can't wait for release.  PVP has been incredibly fun and while the questing is VERY run of the mill, the other PVE content looks fantastic.  Great combat system that's truly unique and loads of content focused on the end-game.  You don't have to like the model, but I feel convinced that for what the model is, they have a quality experience incoming. 
  • KrimzinKrimzin Member UncommonPosts: 687

Every player views games from their own perspective.

Personally, when i first started the WS beta, it seemed a bit bland. I am not a big fan or cartoony graphics. That said.. they game is much deeper than it appears. Early on does what every other game does, shows the player how the systems work.
    The questing system is pretty typical for a theme park game but there are some twists and turns along the way. Your path missions add a little variety to it as well. Each is different depending on your style.
    If your looking for ground breaking gameplay or new systems, WS is probably not for you.
    However if you liked WoW but just want something different..
    then WS is right up your alley.

How I see the MMO horizon atm:

TESO(Live Now): Great graphics, good pvp, different combat style which you may or may not like(I didnt care for it), Limited end game progressions(12man Adventure zones)and a few dungeons. Good Crafting system. If your an ES fan this is for you. Most others will be bored in 60days.

ArcheAge(Live Now on RU server, NA later this year): Great Graphics,In game housing is hands down better than most, including farms for growing trade skill items.. Wood, Cattle, Cotton and much more, Great PvP( Naval, Arial,open world and straight out.. just being a Pirate, pretty standard combat system, Crafting system that is ages beyond most others, Zero End Game Progression(only a few dungeons). If you are a pvpr or you just love tradeskills, this is your game.

Wildstar(Beta Weekends and goes live on 6/2: Lacking Graphics, Good PvP(both Open World and Arena Style as well as Warplots(40v40 BattleGrounds), In Game Housing is solid,Good crafting system, Solid End Game progression.. Attunements/ 20 Man and 40 Man content/ Solid Dugeons with Veteran Mode. If you are a PvE player or you enjoy WoW Style PvP.. this is best hope you have.

Im sure I left out some other features, but this is pretty much how I see the near future in MMO Market.

Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    Best Duo Ever

Lets see your Battle Stations /r/battlestations
    Battle Station 
  • DaessarDaessar Member Posts: 204
    Originally posted by AtmaDarkwolf

Its mouse-look. the game seems so .. 'designed' for it, in almost every aspect (Combat, movement, even interacting with npcs) yet its NOT an option without modding. (And modding is 'against the rules' and often causes strange 'mouse locked' bugs when u try to alt tab)

Dude, what are you smoking....Carbine has a deal with Curse gaming and fully supports modding, has an official  forum section dedicated to it, and has openly said in interviews and video that they are counting on the mod community to make cool and interesting addons for the game.

The Mouselock addon has 3 different options for toggling it on and off, and you only need to hit the toggle key before you tab out to have full control at your desktop.

• CrazyhorsekCrazyhorsek Member UncommonPosts: 272
    Originally posted by Krimzin

Every player views games from their own perspective.

Personally, when i first started the WS beta, it seemed a bit bland. I am not a big fan or cartoony graphics. That said.. they game is much deeper than it appears. Early on does what every other game does, shows the player how the systems work.
    The questing system is pretty typical for a theme park game but there are some twists and turns along the way. Your path missions add a little variety to it as well. Each is different depending on your style.
    If your looking for ground breaking gameplay or new systems, WS is probably not for you.
    However if you liked WoW but just want something different..
    then WS is right up your alley.

How I see the MMO horizon atm:

TESO(Live Now): Great graphics, good pvp, different combat style which you may or may not like(I didnt care for it), Limited end game progressions(12man Adventure zones)and a few dungeons. Good Crafting system. If your an ES fan this is for you. Most others will be bored in 60days.

ArcheAge(Live Now on RU server, NA later this year): Great Graphics,In game housing is hands down better than most, including farms for growing trade skill items.. Wood, Cattle, Cotton and much more, Great PvP( Naval, Arial,open world and straight out.. just being a Pirate, pretty standard combat system, Crafting system that is ages beyond most others, Zero End Game Progression(only a few dungeons). If you are a pvpr or you just love tradeskills, this is your game.

Wildstar(Beta Weekends and goes live on 6/2: Lacking Graphics, Good PvP(both Open World and Arena Style as well as Warplots(40v40 BattleGrounds), In Game Housing is solid,Good crafting system, Solid End Game progression.. Attunements/ 20 Man and 40 Man content/ Solid Dugeons with Veteran Mode. If you are a PvE player or you enjoy WoW Style PvP.. this is best hope you have.

Im sure I left out some other features, but this is pretty much how I see the near future in MMO Market.

ESO has a "few" dungeons? Well... I'm level 22 and I have 4 available. And ESO has Normal and Veteran also. And about ESO pvp you forgot to mention that besides being good, its also 400 people vs 400 people... sometimes more - it kinda dwarfs any mmo pvp on the market right now... and you didnt give it any emphasis as you did to those 40-40 wildstar warplots.

• LazzaroLazzaro Member UncommonPosts: 548

I get people dislike the art and graphics, but I think that is WildStar's strongest part.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Originally posted by Lazzaro

I get people dislike the art and graphics, but I think that is WildStar's strongest part.

Wildstar's art kills me with its flimsyness and slender.

No problem with cartoon graphics here, but Carbine took it too far over the top in some regards. Everything slim is just TOO slim, everything tiny is just TOO tiny. There is a difference between artstyle being cartoonish and being grotesque. WS is too much of the latter for my taste.

I also wish they wouldnt have copied WoW's cheap "256x256 textures stretched to no ends" for the environments.

For cartoonish graphics,  EQN/L got it just right in my opinion.

• GeridenGeriden Member UncommonPosts: 390

you can even turn of the visibility of the telegraphs or lower their opacity.

Day one for me, already bought so yep ! pvp feels like a bit of a cluster fook at times though.