Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Landmark: A Touch of Free-to-Play Hubris

2»

Comments

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

While there are good F2P models out there (Rift), most of them lean far too much towards nickel and diming.

I prefer a B2P model along the lines of TSW or console games, where you buy the base game and always have access to it, and then pay for additional content packs that appeal to you. 

That is far more inline with Georgeson's goal to have people pay for what they are happy with and making them accountable for their content, rather than having a cash shop powering it.  If they release a bad content pack, they will know straight away, because people wont buy it.

• FistyMayhemFistyMayhem Member UncommonPosts: 61

So far I have not been unhappy with SOE's F2P model in EQ, EQ2, or Vanguard..  I'm not worried about Landmark or EQN.  They have shown themselves to offer good value for what you get and have not made the games unplayble or put in obnoxious time stops that you have to pay to get past.  All that said, I plan on signing up for the station pass subscription so it will play much like a regular sub model for me.

I am one of the people who dropped the $100 on alpha and closed beta access..  I have little free time but what I have had I've spent in game and I consider it a good value.  It is a lot of fun and it's getting better with each patch.. lots of exciting stuff coming that I'm looking forward to.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Dave Georgeson is 100% correct.  Nothing wrong with Subscription but F2P is truly the better business model.  It disallows the Developers from putting in needless time sinks and alternate carrot on a stick gaming methods to keep the players sub'ed longer then they would normally play.  It allows the player the freedom to purchase things that they want instead of being bamboozled with Moar Raids, Moar PvP and Moar crap.  Instead I can choose to spend my money where I want it the most instead of going long developmental stretches of time subsidizing gaming avenues I don't want or like.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• railshotrailshot Member UncommonPosts: 15

"the reason I think that is that if we don’t do a really good job and we don’t entertain the player, we don’t make a dime"

Actually, the real reason is that F2P model allows you to realistically charge a lot more than the average $15 a month without being obvious about it. It's about greed, not about the player.

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    Originally posted by railshot

"the reason I think that is that if we don’t do a really good job and we don’t entertain the player, we don’t make a dime"

Actually, the real reason is that F2P model allows you to realistically charge a lot more than the average $15 a month without being obvious about it. It's about greed, not about the player.

Except if they don't do a good job they still don't get paid.  There's actually more risk going into a F2P project than a B2P or P2P one.  Yes they stand to gain substantially more if they deliver a decent product, but there's no guarantee.  Plenty of F2P's go under.

Steam: Neph