Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why does everything in this game revolve around hitting E?

Comments

• oldboygameroldboygamer Member Posts: 139
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by tixylix

Every fucking quest is "run to this and press E" rinse and repeat. All the time you'll speak to an NPC and they tell you to click on a shrine... how many shrines are there? Then you'll be magically loaded into a new phase by the NPC who does some blinding effect on you, only it is ruined by a loading screen. Why couldn't they at least make it feel seamless? WoW did it years ago and yet for some reason this game wants to throw loading screens at you. Just ruins the immersion for me...

All I've had so far is pressing E on various object quests, nothing has any animation either, it just has these weird transitions to a new state, it is like what MMOs have always done and not gotten away from. I don't understand why we cannot have one to one interaction with the world? Like there are no physics and everything is static and so you have to press E on everything and all you get is text saying something happened..

All you do is run through a linear path in this world doing quests are carious hubs like WoW. In previous Elder Scrolls games I played I just ran anywhere I wanted and I found content, what I loved about the latest games is everything levels up with you, this has just made the world into do anything at any time. I just loved exploring the world and doing what I wanted. In The Elder Scrolls Online I just feel like I'm in Ikea following the arrows...

as opposed to double clicking on every quest giver or item that you have to interact with?

Also you will noticed that it's like skyrim where you use E to open doors, chests, interact with npc's.

As far as being able to run everywhere. you can. That's how I've found most of my quests and is the way the game is designed. However, and unfortunately to my mind, the game is a thempark mmo and therefore it has level designed areas. this is like lotro, like wow, like Aion, like Lineage 2, like Secret World, etc.

Heck, there is another thread going on about the same exact topic.

and don't follow the arrows if you dont' want. Those are for your active quests. You can just head in a direction and see what you find. I promise you will find something.

Also you can turn off those arrows and also turn off the glow on enemy npc's.

How do you turn off the glow on enemy npcs?

• VicDynamoVicDynamo Member Posts: 234
    I know right? And what's with all this W, A, S, D pressing. What gives? Don't even get me started with how often I have to use the mouse. Seriously.
  • MpfiveMpfive Member UncommonPosts: 308
    Because it's better then hitting M ;)
  • zwei2zwei2 Member Posts: 361
    Originally posted by Mpfive

M is like... the other side of the keyboard. I think my thumb can reach it... just a bit more...

The possibility of the universe collapsing into a singularity is higher than the birth of a perfect MMORPG.

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Originally posted by VideoJockey
    Uh, have you never played an Elder Scrolls game before?

That's what I was thinking too. 

• Mopar63Mopar63 Member UncommonPosts: 300
    Originally posted by tixylix

Every fucking quest is "run to this and press E" rinse and repeat.

So let me make sure I got this straight, your complaining because they chose the E for an activation key? ROFL, this is most epic lameness in game complaining I have ever seen.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by SadSwordfish

Context sensitive actions and buttons have been the path gaming has been headed for for a long time. It's easier for people who are not good at games. 

You need to remember there are millions of people who can't do WASD while looking around with a mouse. Game developers want to tap into new markets. Having less buttons helps people learn the controls. 

Yeah, instead of using just E, lets use the whole freakin alphabet right. D for unlocking doors, B for unlocking barrels, Z for summoning zebras, function key on laptops (laptop exclusive move!) for opening a portal to Oblivion.

Would that be better? No, actually, hold on. To open a door a player has to press each letter of the alphabet in reverse. And you have to do in under 10 secs or the door bitch slaps you in the face and you die losing all your gear. Fail three times, your account is deleted and you have to buy the game again. Better?

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413
    Trolls getting more and more desperate every day. Love it!

Hodor!

• VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Originally posted by Caldicot
    Originally posted by Volgore
    Because everything revolving around hitting "F" was already taken by Wildstar.

LOL

that was seriously a nice one lol

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Keep trolling people we love that hate <3

• VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Originally posted by Mpfive

He is used to hit the X on the ps3 controller while playing skyrim. Dont worry buy it for the ps4 in 3 months and you can press the blue X again.

• DoushiDoushi Member UncommonPosts: 96
    I looked at your post history, I just wonder why in earth did you even buy the game? or keep playing it since it seems to be so painfull experience for you?

mmorpg.com, the 4chan of mmo forums.

• andreawalesandreawales Member Posts: 44
    Job done for the Troll , 4 pages of responses to one of the worst ESO Trolls on this site .... sigh
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by justmemyselfandi
    Originally posted by VideoJockey
    Uh, have you never played an Elder Scrolls game before?

Of course he has. He states it in his OP.

That's the problem. A TES skin does not make a TES game.

so, how many quests in skyrim could you complete without hitting F?

and yea, right click is so much better (as it was done in all other mmos)... totaly............. no really......

errrr no it's not :) just kidding.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

seriously? whining about what button you have to hit to interact with stuff in the game?

whats next? gonna make a thread because you are angry you have to log in just to play the game?

• DEAD.lineDEAD.line Member Posts: 424
    Originally posted by baphamet

you can tell people are running out of things to whine about.

i wish i could take these forums serious again like i did 5+ years ago.

It was the nearly the same 5 years ago. Difference being that back then, when onslaught of themeparks was only half way there.

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823
    Consequence of the game Devs making their games cross platforms and the age of appealing to gamers who grew-up using console game controllers.   Welcome to the realization that MMO's will never be more in-depth and sophisticated then this. 

Originally posted by andreawales
    Job done for the Troll , 4 pages of responses to one of the worst ESO Trolls on this site .... sigh

Well, it seems all we get on these forums are trolls trying to start flame wars. iF we don't reply to these threads, there won't be any posts on this website. If there's a thread which focuses on nice things, it will receive 2-3 posts at max and go down to the bottom of the list while all the threads like "ESO is not what I was expecting, trolololol", "ESO includes QUESTING!!!! yolo!", "ESO uses buttons, damn console catering morons", "ESO includes levels in an RPG????? REALLY?", "ESO is WOW Clone 50 and I told you so", "ESO is linear! IT should be like my imaginary mMO where you get COMPLETE FREEDOM" all receive 10k posts and stay at the top for weeks.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• Ragnar1337Ragnar1337 Member CommonPosts: 70
    Why would you expect anything else from a console garbage game, of course you are going to spam the same few buttons for the entire game. That is why I only play PC games on my PC. 
  • andreawalesandreawales Member Posts: 44
    Originally posted by Ragnar1337
    Why would you expect anything else from a console garbage game, of course you are going to spam the same few buttons for the entire game. That is why I only play PC games on my PC. 

And here we have yet another Troll ... sad .... has made only two posts both bashing ESO , I'm guessing he made an account just to Troll ...

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

It is because E is the beginning and end of this game.

Elder scrolls onlinE.

Good a reason as any :P

• ArndushArndush Member Posts: 303
    Originally posted by Talemire
    Originally posted by Volgore
    Because everything revolving around hitting "F" was already taken by Wildstar.

KO

Down goes Frazier! Down goes Frazier! http://youtu.be/JZEIMQ42-oU

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by Ragnar1337

Guess you must not have played any previous TES games then. Yep, horrible designed for console games.

Poor angry kid on a new trolling account. Oh no you have to press a key to interact with tings! WTF were they thinking. Why on earth would anyone want to use a KEYboard to press KEYS and make things happen.

• SadSwordfishSadSwordfish Member CommonPosts: 78
    Originally posted by fivoroth

Context sensitive actions and buttons have been the path gaming has been headed for for a long time. It's easier for people who are not good at games. 

You need to remember there are millions of people who can't do WASD while looking around with a mouse. Game developers want to tap into new markets. Having less buttons helps people learn the controls. 

Yeah, instead of using just E, lets use the whole freakin alphabet right. D for unlocking doors, B for unlocking barrels, Z for summoning zebras, function key on laptops (laptop exclusive move!) for opening a portal to Oblivion.

Would that be better? No, actually, hold on. To open a door a player has to press each letter of the alphabet in reverse. And you have to do in under 10 secs or the door bitch slaps you in the face and you die losing all your gear. Fail three times, your account is deleted and you have to buy the game again. Better?

Yes. 

It's a cliche but often less-is-more. I certainly am one of those people who are glad that games like GW2 and ESO are moving away from endless hotbars of skills of varying degrees of fun, satisfaction and usability. I really don't think a game becomes more fun or more 1337-skill because you got 15 more buttons to press. I just think it clutters or developers try to be cute and make something more complex.

It's a skill to keep something simple, yet have depth. It's easy to make something bloated and complex. That's just doing something and adding on to it until you got a mountain of abillities. And then you can spend the lifetime of the game on balancing that mountain of fluff skills, instead of making fewer really fun, really well animated and really well executed all-around skills. 

Context sensitive actions is more than just pressing a designated button. You began seeing it in games like Gears of War esspeccially in 2006. Same button used to go into cover, as used in execution and other actions. But really, it's a just a way of saying the-act-of-the-character-interacting-with-the-world.

What OP perhaps really meant (perhaps without realizing it) is that the problem is not if you press E to open a door, push a barrel and pick up a cottage cheese. It's more the idea that you just press a button, watch an animation and everything is being done automated. There is little gameplay in that. It's simply a context button. press button, an action happens. It's very passive and non-enganging, though not intrusive and it can be satisfactory. Like seeing an execution play out, or pressing a button followed by a cut scene or voiced NPC spewing entertaining dialogue.

An example of a non-context sensitive action, would have been if player could go up to a door, press E, and then you would physically have to use your hand (controlling the mouse) pulling down the doorknob. That would be gameplay. But why make gameplay systems to open doors? What would be the point? It would be fluff, irelevant. This is not the Door Scrolls. 

But there are other arguments that can be made during quests were it would have made more sense in the context of the fiction. Were there actually would be room for interesting gameplay instead of just pressing a button followed by animation, and done. 

Old school gaming examples would be things like finding a switch to open a door, versus context sensitive action of just going up to door, pressing E and it opens. In both cases there is context sensitive actions, but in first example there is a puzzle/exploration element in finding the door. that's gameplay. that reduces the feeling of repetitiveness and asks something of the player. It's a direct conflict. player can not proceed through dungeon until he has figured out were switch is.

But it's much more boring to go into a dungeon and just press E and door opens, missing the chance for varied gameplay styles besides just killing respawning enemies.

This is a problem in all MMOs, even GW2. GW2 though is sometimes reduced in this area because they generally give you a lot of wiggle room to complete the heart quests in different ways. You can go the traditional kill-everything-collect-everything, but often you are allowed to progress by doing secondary objectives like fixing sign posts, or feeding tiger cubs or whatever. Doing this in tandum combination with the classic killing, reduces the repeitiveness somewhat, but it's still just kill x and collect y mixed with context sensitive actions. Dynamic quests in this way is not the answer we have been looking for either, even though they have some advantages (and disadvantages over normal quests). 

Originally posted by fivoroth

Yes. 

It's a cliche but often less-is-more. I certainly am one of those people who are glad that games like GW2 and ESO are moving away from endless hotbars of skills of varying degrees of fun, satisfaction and usability. I really don't think a game becomes more fun or more 1337-skill because you got 15 more buttons to press. I just think it clutters or developers try to be cute and make something more complex.

It's a skill to keep something simple, yet have depth. It's easy to make something bloated and complex. That's just doing something and adding on to it until you got a mountain of abillities. And then you can spend the lifetime of the game on balancing that mountain of fluff skills, instead of making fewer really fun, really well animated and really well executed all-around skills. 

Context sensitive actions is more than just pressing a designated button. You began seeing it in games like Gears of War esspeccially in 2006. Same button used to go into cover, as used in execution and other actions. But really, it's a just a way of saying the-act-of-the-character-interacting-with-the-world.

What OP perhaps really meant (perhaps without realizing it) is that the problem is not if you press E to open a door, push a barrel and pick up a cottage cheese. It's more the idea that you just press a button, watch an animation and everything is being done automated. There is little gameplay in that. It's simply a context button. press button, an action happens. It's very passive and non-enganging, though not intrusive and it can be satisfactory. Like seeing an execution play out, or pressing a button followed by a cut scene or voiced NPC spewing entertaining dialogue.

An example of a non-context sensitive action, would have been if player could go up to a door, press E, and then you would physically have to use your hand (controlling the mouse) pulling down the doorknob. That would be gameplay. But why make gameplay systems to open doors? What would be the point? It would be fluff, irelevant. This is not the Door Scrolls. 

But there are other arguments that can be made during quests were it would have made more sense in the context of the fiction. Were there actually would be room for interesting gameplay instead of just pressing a button followed by animation, and done. 

Old school gaming examples would be things like finding a switch to open a door, versus context sensitive action of just going up to door, pressing E and it opens. In both cases there is context sensitive actions, but in first example there is a puzzle/exploration element in finding the door. that's gameplay. that reduces the feeling of repetitiveness and asks something of the player. It's a direct conflict. player can not proceed through dungeon until he has figured out were switch is.

But it's much more boring to go into a dungeon and just press E and door opens, missing the chance for varied gameplay styles besides just killing respawning enemies.

This is a problem in all MMOs, even GW2. GW2 though is sometimes reduced in this area because they generally give you a lot of wiggle room to complete the heart quests in different ways. You can go the traditional kill-everything-collect-everything, but often you are allowed to progress by doing secondary objectives like fixing sign posts, or feeding tiger cubs or whatever. Doing this in tandum combination with the classic killing, reduces the repeitiveness somewhat, but it's still just kill x and collect y mixed with context sensitive actions. Dynamic quests in this way is not the answer we have been looking for either, even though they have some advantages (and disadvantages over normal quests). 

That would be interesting. But I guess they didn't think of it or did not want to spend time on developing it.

Am actually already feeling the repetitiveness. Maybe it's the slow levelling but I am getting bored at level 9! Quests are kinda non interactive at all and don't take much time. But on top of that they don't give enough xp imo. 10 quests and loads of mobs killed only a quarter into the level....

Having more interactive non combat related stuff will definitely help.