Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are the basic concepts? Linear, or no?

WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599

I have not been keeping up with any EQN news. I have tried to read some blogs and posts, but I am finding it hard to differentiate core elements of game play from Landmark ( I am glad they changed the name, because it was always confusing what game I was reading about).

What I would like to know is, what are the bare bones game play concepts. On a granular level, what is this game going to be about? 

After playing both the Wildstar and ESO beta, I am very disappointed that both went with a very linear hand holding PVE. Do quest “A” to “b” to “C' blah....

I am really tired of the “do the story line we want you to do” mmo experience. The RPG with multiplayer elements, where other players are just decoration.

I have been gravitating lately to games like DAYZ and Rust.  It not that I am a big sandbox kinda guy. I really am not. I do not enjoy crafting, I do not enjoy building structures. But these games are the only ones that offer a game without a story intruding on everything. 

What I like is the ability to do what I want within a game without an instance, phased scripted path to follow. 

The excitement for me comes from spontaneity, random player interactions and the politics that it creates.

Asheron's call, DAOC, EQ.. all had that adventure that was not scripted or predetermined.

Does this game follow the same copy-paste cash cow formula? Linear and solo?

Or they going for a persistent open world format?

My gut says no.

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

Comments

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871

I don't think anyone's been keeping up with EQNext news.

It's pointless since we know SOE's priority now is Landmark, and EQNext is a long ways off.

Am I right in saying that most of just decided to forget about it until SOE decides to bring it back into the forefront?

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519

I think veteran gamers are adept at smelling MMO BS a mile away at this point. We know EQN isn't going to be "the biggest sandbox of all time." The game is going in the direction of themepark because that's what the casual majority want(judged by the player voting on the EQN polls) and unfortunately its killing the genre.

Better to just switch to consoles and hope some decent RPG's get released because immersive MMO's are a thing of the past.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by superconducting

I don't think anyone's been keeping up with EQNext news.

It's pointless since we know SOE's priority now is Landmark, and EQNext is a long ways off.

Am I right in saying that most of just decided to forget about it until SOE decides to bring it back into the forefront?

May get some info at this year's SOE convention thing so could be coming to the forefront by autumn, possibly.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    In fairness Smedley did say "sandbox style MMO" which was a good call considering there are so many opinions on what it specifically means.

The best base of info is to watch the reveal video and panel videos from Live '13. Some bullet points that got my attention as someone who is also tired of typical theme park game play.

Seemless world

Layers of caverns below ground that have content but "shift" periodically to another place or change.

40 classes, 39 of which you need to find/earn in the world.

No levels, rather gear tiers per class. Exact number of tiers is unknown.

Dynamic movement of NPCs due to AI that acts on an internal list of likes/dislikes

Long term, multifaceted server "events" that change the world (build a town or destroy a stronghold).

No symbols above NPC heads (It's the little things, right?)

Of course EQN isn't out yet so who knows what could change. Still, sounds great if they keep steady.
  • XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

It has sounded like it will be a somewhat free form hybrid.  It will have quests you can do in a area, but it didn't sound like it would be nearly as railed as most newer mmos.  We will have to wait and see.

EQN is being worked on simultaneously as Landmark, but  some areas are probably on hold, as tools are being developed that are being ported into Landmark, and tweaked in a live environment.

I just hope they don't make it too casual, with their progression structure, and I am weary of their skill system, not a big fan of weapon based skills, would rather have 8 skills I can throw up, like old spell gems in the original EQ.

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Originally posted by WellzyC

Does this game follow the same copy-paste cash cow formula? Linear and solo?

Or they going for a persistent open world format?

My gut says no.

I have been following Next before it was announced and probably know all if not the majority of info that has been revealed about it. From everything they've said, unless they are flat out lying or bending the truth, EQN will not be a railed themepark like WOW-WS-GW2-ESO, etc.

While it will still have a story/lore and things happening that players can choose to participate in or not, we should be able to do pretty much whatever that entertains us.

With no levels, this gives a lot of options for progression and advancing a character. They've talked up wanting to make it a social experience and not a solo experience, but again, if people want to play alone, they can. Just don't expect to be soloing dragons and other adventures that would require some sort of social interaction.

While I doubt it will be perfect, I think they are trying to at least break away from what has become the poor standard in mmos. WS/ESO are two examples of AAA titles with little to no originality. I think EQN will at least attempt to bring a new experience to the genre that either brings back what many remember from years past or takes it hopefully to a whole new level.