Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ok, help me understand this...

Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

Players are always whining about wanting challenge from new mmorpgs these days and when the devs deliver they respond by cheating. I read this little gem from SE today:

Following the implementation of Patch 2.2, we have identified several parties that used illegitimate practices in “The Second Coil of Bahamut”. As this is a violation of the Terms of Service, 24 service accounts that used such illegitimate practices in “The Second Coil of Bahamut - Turn 3” have been suspended.

?As of April 1, 2014 at 1:00 a.m., only two parties have legitimately completed “The Second Coil of Bahamut - Turn 3”. Game data since then has been closely monitored.

Although we will continue to monitor game data to ensure that similar illegitimate practices are not being used, we would like to remind players that using third-party programs, parsers, or other tools to conduct actions players would not normally be able to do in the game is a violation of the Terms of Service, and will be dealt with strict disciplinary action.

Players who discover any confirmed cheats should, under no circumstances, exploit or disseminate such information. Instead, we ask that players file a report by using the in-game command [System Menu] -> [Support Desk] -> [Contact Us] -> [Report Cheating].

I'm thinking that players do not really want challenge because if they did they wouldn't be relying on alerts, parsers, prompt and notification add-ons to help them overcome these challenges. Couple this little situation with the ESO add-on fiasco and all it amounts up to is either bad players trying to keep up with good players or good players not up to the challenge.

I personally dislike all add-ons that are not superficial. Everyone has to deal with the same content using the same setup/generic UI across the board. And if devs are monitoring the content they are creating and players are putting in reasonable efforts to beat that content, devs will see the need to adjust things accordingly. No need to screw things up by giving players the ability to handicap themselves through add-ons.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

Comments

• Allacore69Allacore69 Member Posts: 839

I love the game. Plain and simple. Nuff' said.

But seriously, IDK what your talking about. I go through the game normal. I don't buy gold with RMT or exploit or use add ons or whatever that is. I thought ESO was doing add ons? IDK dude, please be a little more elaborate cuz I have no idea what you mean.

Looks to me like their fixing things for the better. One can only hope all mmo's do this.

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020

@OP if you think those players were banned for using alerts, parsers(dont be an idiot if you think having parsers or damage meters is a crutch when they add in dps race phases in their encounters, you need to know who's slacking and where to improve) then you need to think again.

The players that were banned were banned for exploiting the bosses. One guild in particular killed turns 6, 7, 8 in one night and obviously did so by exploiting.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862

The people that were banned were probably using software that allowed them to position hack themselves to a z-dimension on the map to where a boss was unable to attack them, therefore allowing the group to bypass all mechanics.  There were people doing this for the previous raid's last boss but SE never made a public statement on it.  Now they are.

I don't mind parsers.  It allows me to gauge myself and my group to see where any faults lie so we can improve.  I only used addons in WoW because it was the norm.  In FFXI they weren't supported, so all you had to go by was what was on your screen, at least until the Windower program was developed and people starting making plugins for it.  FFXIV will eventually have support for player made plugins but it doesn't sound like it'll be coming for a while yet.

As far as challenge goes, could you imagine playing WoW without DBM?  It's almost become a mandatory plugin for everything.  I play FFXIV with only a parser running so I can look at certain things under a microscope, but apart from that I play the game without any kind of outside assistance.  If you've done Twintania or any of the new turns of Coil you'll know that you have to be on your toes because you don't have something blaring in your ears to move.

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    Originally posted by nbtscan

The people that were banned were probably using software that allowed them to position hack themselves to a z-dimension on the map to where a boss was unable to attack them, therefore allowing the group to bypass all mechanics.  There were people doing this for the previous raid's last boss but SE never made a public statement on it.  Now they are.

I don't mind parsers.  It allows me to gauge myself and my group to see where any faults lie so we can improve.  I only used addons in WoW because it was the norm.  In FFXI they weren't supported, so all you had to go by was what was on your screen, at least until the Windower program was developed and people starting making plugins for it.  FFXIV will eventually have support for player made plugins but it doesn't sound like it'll be coming for a while yet.

As far as challenge goes, could you imagine playing WoW without DBM?  It's almost become a mandatory plugin for everything.  I play FFXIV with only a parser running so I can look at certain things under a microscope, but apart from that I play the game without any kind of outside assistance.  If you've done Twintania or any of the new turns of Coil you'll know that you have to be on your toes because you don't have something blaring in your ears to move.

Indeed. It is nice to see content that anyone can try, but few can succeed. Player Skill Progression is much more fun than easy-mode raiding progression.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

Playing WoW without DBM wouldn't change a thing for players who were actually good. DBM is only near mandatory for the casuals to raiding. The raid leaders of guilds who usually clear all content would be calling out everything DBM calls out, and in fact they still do call it out even if DBM does so already. I'd agree with OP about the challenge part when things like DBM are in question, but FFXIV app and ACT is NOWHERE near the scale of DBM's trivializing content.

MMOs need to add in a randomizing feature when it comes to boss abilities so they're not all on a timer and can be 100% predicted to avoid being trivialized like that. Keep people on their toes even after they've killed the boss a few times so we're not basically playing a DDR game, "Okay...left right left, wait 321, now right left right, wait 321, jump jump right...."

• PemminPemmin Member UncommonPosts: 623
    Originally posted by Ramonski7

Players are always whining about wanting challenge from new mmorpgs these days and when the devs deliver they respond by cheating. I read this little gem from SE today:

Following the implementation of Patch 2.2, we have identified several parties that used illegitimate practices in “The Second Coil of Bahamut”. As this is a violation of the Terms of Service, 24 service accounts that used such illegitimate practices in “The Second Coil of Bahamut - Turn 3” have been suspended.

?As of April 1, 2014 at 1:00 a.m., only two parties have legitimately completed “The Second Coil of Bahamut - Turn 3”. Game data since then has been closely monitored.

Although we will continue to monitor game data to ensure that similar illegitimate practices are not being used, we would like to remind players that using third-party programs, parsers, or other tools to conduct actions players would not normally be able to do in the game is a violation of the Terms of Service, and will be dealt with strict disciplinary action.

Players who discover any confirmed cheats should, under no circumstances, exploit or disseminate such information. Instead, we ask that players file a report by using the in-game command [System Menu] -> [Support Desk] -> [Contact Us] -> [Report Cheating].

I'm thinking that players do not really want challenge because if they did they wouldn't be relying on alerts, parsers, prompt and notification add-ons to help them overcome these challenges. Couple this little situation with the ESO add-on fiasco and all it amounts up to is either bad players trying to keep up with good players or good players not up to the challenge.

I personally dislike all add-ons that are not superficial. Everyone has to deal with the same content using the same setup/generic UI across the board. And if devs are monitoring the content they are creating and players are putting in reasonable efforts to beat that content, devs will see the need to adjust things accordingly. No need to screw things up by giving players the ability to handicap themselves through add-ons.

The players banned were using a HACK to bypass mechanics. The add-on statement is just a blanket statement to validate past and future punishments for using 3rd party software. 

"other tools to conduct actions players would not normally be able to do in the game"

this is the important piece of information in the post. 

• seafirexseafirex Member UncommonPosts: 419
    Originally posted by Sephiroso

Playing WoW without DBM wouldn't change a thing for players who were actually good. DBM is only near mandatory for the casuals to raiding. The raid leaders of guilds who usually clear all content would be calling out everything DBM calls out, and in fact they still do call it out even if DBM does so already. I'd agree with OP about the challenge part when things like DBM are in question, but FFXIV app and ACT is NOWHERE near the scale of DBM's trivializing content.

MMOs need to add in a randomizing feature when it comes to boss abilities so they're not all on a timer and can be 100% predicted to avoid being trivialized like that. Keep people on their toes even after they've killed the boss a few times so we're not basically playing a DDR game, "Okay...left right left, wait 321, now right left right, wait 321, jump jump right...."

This ^ , in vanilla the only thing they had in raids was vent or teamspeak + dps meter because at the time recount did not exist it was called dps meter. If you did not make enough dps, or moving out of things, they where kicking you because they knew they where going to whipe. But again DBM did not exist to tell you what to do by holding your hands and raids where actual raids without it not trivial content like today.

That is when we know who is good and who is bad. Today the addons are way over the top and everyone can be good no matter what because of those addons. But take off the addons from them and you will see them be so bad they will be told to reroll or find another game.

• Colt47Colt47 Member UncommonPosts: 549
    Originally posted by seafirex

This ^ , in vanilla the only thing they had in raids was vent or teamspeak + dps meter because at the time recount did not exist it was called dps meter. If you did not make enough dps, or moving out of things, they where kicking you because they knew they where going to whipe. But again DBM did not exist to tell you what to do by holding your hands and raids where actual raids without it not trivial content like today.

That is when we know who is good and who is bad. Today the addons are way over the top and everyone can be good no matter what because of those addons. But take off the addons from them and you will see them be so bad they will be told to reroll or find another game.

They were intended as a user means to lower the difficulty of fights so more people could experience the content.  People want to "beat" the game they are playing since it lets them move on to other things besides the one mmo game that is eating up their time.  The problem is that Publishers don't like this because it is an exit condition to the game and they want our money more than praise.  

Originally posted by fantasyfreak112

FFXIV is the opposite of challenging with or without add-ons.

/opinion

FTFY

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link

See all perks Here

[mod edit]

You obviously don't even play FFXIV anymore since 2.2 patch. The fights are actually decently challenging. They are tuned way better than the first 5 turns of coil or previous primal fights. Turns 6-9 has been pretty good and is less about having required gear numbers and more about being quick on your feet and really understanding the mechanics(though there's a slight bundle with t6 and the ability to skip mechanics and turn the fight into a dps race)

I mean sure, FFXIV won't ever be to the same level of difficulty such as WoW, but nor have they ever claimed to be, and furthermore you only have the right to say such things when you've cleared the content in the game. That's like saying WoW is for carebears all the while being unable to clear HM Lich King.

• fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499

I'm talking about the game difficulty in general. Adding one or two roadblock boss fights does not a challenging game make(which are really just gearchecks 99% of the time anyways). That goes for every game, especially WoW.

As an MMO community we've clearly lost sight of what challenge truly is as we are constantly bombarded by mindless button spamming MMO's every month or so.

I'm talking about the game difficulty in general. Adding one or two roadblock boss fights does not a challenging game make(which are really just gearchecks 99% of the time anyways). That goes for every game, especially WoW.

As an MMO community we've clearly lost sight of what challenge truly is as we are constantly bombarded by mindless button spamming MMO's every month or so.

You do realize this thread is discussing a game where only 2 groups of people have legitimately cleared top tier content, right?

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link

See all perks Here

• mayankingmayanking Member UncommonPosts: 162
    ff14 is not challanging at all. as someone who beat t1-5 and all ex primals without any kind of guide i was disapointed. I haven't done t6-t9 because my team got bored but all i'm seeing are people clearing them once a day which is kinda disapointing. i do use a parser but only so i could get my best rotation down. Games need more challanaging content then 1 raid.
  • nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862

The game is that way by design.  The producer has touted this game as "very casual" so most of the encounters won't be that hard.  Coil is the hardest type of content that the game will have at any one time and only a small selection of the player population will be able to beat it while it's relevant.

• KaladinKaladin Member Posts: 468
    Originally posted by drivendawn
    Originally posted by mayanking
    ff14 is not challanging at all. as someone who beat t1-5 and all ex primals without any kind of guide i was disapointed. I haven't done t6-t9 because my team got bored but all i'm seeing are people clearing them once a day which is kinda disapointing. i do use a parser but only so i could get my best rotation down. Games need more challanaging content then 1 raid.

So why did it take take Blue Gartr the first to ever beat the fifth turn almost 2 and a half months to do so.

Blue Gartr did it pre twister nerf.

I think only one other free company cleared Turn 5 before that nerf.

I can fly higher than an aeroplane.
    And I have the voice of a thousand hurricanes.
    Hurt - Wars

Originally posted by Kaladin

So why did it take take Blue Gartr the first to ever beat the fifth turn almost 2 and a half months to do so.

According to forums, it was on farm day one. I love the internet.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link

See all perks Here

• KaladinKaladin Member Posts: 468
    Originally posted by Tygranir

According to forums, it was on farm day one. I love the internet.

These forums?  Well yeah, I don't come here for truth.  I am here because stupid and misinformed posts amuse me.

I can fly higher than an aeroplane.
    And I have the voice of a thousand hurricanes.
    Hurt - Wars

Regardless not many people beat coil because it was so difficult for a long while.

What Kaladin doesn't understand is that even to this day less than 5% people have cleared turns 1-5.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

The game is doing quite fine so I don't see why it needs more challanaging content (or you playing it) :D

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".

Originally posted by Hyanmen
    Originally posted by mayanking ff14 is not challanging at all. as someone who beat t1-5 and all ex primals without any kind of guide i was disapointed. I haven't done t6-t9 because my team got bored but all i'm seeing are people clearing them once a day which is kinda disapointing. i do use a parser but only so i could get my best rotation down. Games need more challanaging content then 1 raid.
    The game is doing quite fine so I don't see why it needs more challanaging content (or you playing it) :D

This^^^^

+1

• Colt47Colt47 Member UncommonPosts: 549

Regardless not many people beat coil because it was so difficult for a long while.

What Kaladin doesn't understand is that even to this day less than 5% people have cleared turns 1-5.

Heck, there's people who haven't cleared Turns 1-4 still running around.  Albeit, T4 back in 2.1 still had some of the hardest hitting monsters in the game, leading to a lot of preemptive healing near the end depending on how one goes about doing the dreadnaughts.

• mayankingmayanking Member UncommonPosts: 162
    Originally posted by Colt47

Heck, there's people who haven't cleared Turns 1-4 still running around.  Albeit, T4 back in 2.1 still had some of the hardest hitting monsters in the game, leading to a lot of preemptive healing near the end depending on how one goes about doing the dreadnaughts.

theres alot of people on my server who play about 4-5 hours a week and have downed t4-t5 and i'm on the newer server. i don't think its difficult par say but its more the fact finding 7 other players with flawless internet and awareness of what is going on. It took me atleast 3months to find a group of people and 5 of them were my friends i brought from another game. I'm sure if coil wasn't weekly locked out there would be much more people completing it the hardest part i found was finding people for it. 

Originally posted by Colt47

theres alot of people on my server who play about 4-5 hours a week and have downed t4-t5 and i'm on the newer server. i don't think its difficult par say but its more the fact finding 7 other players with flawless internet and awareness of what is going on. It took me atleast 3months to find a group of people and 5 of them were my friends i brought from another game. I'm sure if coil wasn't weekly locked out there would be much more people completing it the hardest part i found was finding people for it. 

you overestimate general player ability. you really really do. just why do you think FFXIV added in the echo buff just like WoW did back in WoTLK?