Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR Experience

1235»

Comments

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by bobdole1979
    Originally posted by superniceguy
    Originally posted by Tethered

Sorry for the wall-o-text image

Congrats on picking up swtor, I did the same this last month and for some reason I got sucked in. We must have the same type gaming tastes, as I find myself on AO site checking on the new engine every month. Sad but I am still hoping for another game like that but with current engine technology.(with the ability to fire on the move lol)

this next part is a little inflaming....skip it if you want...

I actually ran through all the posts in the this thread and you swg worshipers please pray to whatever you hold holy and thank it/them/her/him etc that you got to play such an awesome game and give it the respect it deserves,  stop whining about how it was the end all be all (WE KNOW), and get on with your dang lives. OMG~!  I loved it, I miss it and I always will except when I play the emu. *whine whine its not the same....help them make it the same... either get on-board or get off the internet that crap is lame.

End of flaming... =P

I really enjoyed quite a few aspects of this game but never could stay for some reason. Anyway I decided to make some new toons I normally play caster / healer so I already had sage / sorcerer. I made commando, mercenary then made scoundrel / operative. I have almost all 6 to 30 now ( I will by this afternoon). I had to reach down and make sure I was still a guy when I found myself spending almost 2 hours putting together a damn costume for one of my girls (I play women avatars...I got tired of staring at men avatar butts so sue me).  I ended up turning my mercenary into a harem girl slut with 2 pistols...lol. Any way I digress.

Oh what I meant to post - TRY Operative, they are awesome! I like the story the best so far and just being able to have 2 CC with heals with 2 stuns with stealth and the cherry on top - I can stick a shiv in their back several times actually.  pvp and pve goodness and you can spec healer for free if you are a sub and get fp/groups super fast. 

I play concealment spec mostly but I have field respec, she rocks. I stealth in past most of the mobs and get to the objective (side quests with no bonus or only 1 bonus xp chain) makes lvling faster or at least seems to.

Happy swtor'ing

I am thankful that I got to play SWG, and played it for the solid 8.5 years it was active, and would still be playing it now if it was still alive. The longest I have played any game. It was probably a good thing that it got closed down as was I missing out on other games, and I was still collecting games for my consoles which never gotten played much, until Dec 15th 2011!

The main annoying thing about SWG being shut down is that there is not a similar alternative MMO, whereas if any of the WOW like MMOs shut down then there are plenty other alternatives to go to. Also EA / LA / SOE / BW all believed that people would easily just able to switch from SWG to SWTOR, and even Smedley said that SWTOR is going to be a great game which he was looking forward t playing, but following the dramatic loss in subs, and people missing SWG, Smedley is now doing something similar. SWG shut down on the same day SWTOR launched, so it was like "out with the old, in with the new". when back in 2008 both SOE and LA stated that both games were different enough to run side by side, and SWTOR would have benefitted more if SWG did run for at least one more year, then SWTOR would not have been seen as a direct replacement, which it no where near is.

I still prefer the ease of video tapes to record TV than blank DVDs, but using a DVD recorder with HDD is overall better and is an adequate replacement to video tapes. SWTOR is not an adequate replacement for SWG. It is just a shame that MMOs seem to be devolving than evolving, with each new MMO comes less features / more dumbed down. Each new MMO should take what old MMOs had, and add more and be more polished with less bugs.

Even yourself said that you can not stay with this game, and a lot of people feel like that, and that is the main thing wrong with this game. 

There's the problem.  You think SWTOR is supposed to be a replacement or a sequel of sorts to SWG.   This was never supposed to be the case.  It is just ANOTHER Star Wars MMO.  

The reason you can't find a replacement for SWG is because the game was so deeply flawed no one wants to make a replacement for it.  

Star Wars Rogue Squadron isn't a replacement for X-wing VS Tie Fighter its just another Star Wars game about ship combat.   That's it.  

SWTOR isn't a replacement for SWG its just a different take on a Star Wars MMO.  

The fault lies with you

No, the fault lies with SOE / LA / EA / BW shutting the game down on the same day early access started with SWTOR, making it a replacement. I am fully aware that SWTOR is a different game, they were saying that all along

The reason you can't find a replacement for SWG is because the game was so deeply flawed no one wants to make a replacement for it.  

The reason I can not find a replacement for SWG is because devs have gotten stuck into a rut to copy WOW and grab its success, but that is not working either, as no MMO has suceeded since WOW, as why play a WOW clone when you can play WOW itself?

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/02/10/bioware-wow-is-the-touchstone-for-the-old-republic/

The only thing wrong with SWG was the bugs, so all that needs to be done is make a game like SWG without the bugs, but that is probably too complex for anybody to do again bug-free, so they keep it simple and cut out loads of features

Anyway Smedley has gone sandbox crazy now, and Everquest Next will be something close, and the "game for SWG fans" Smedley is going on about may be even closer. 

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

SWG was a fun game. I played it from Empire Divided through JTL before I quit. The game had one MAJOR flaw (Among others) but this one flaw was going to kill the game from the inside out.

That flaw was: "The Jedi Grind"

SoE had thought it was only for the most hardcore elite. SoE thought it was the reward only for the top percent of the game who would be dedicated enough to pursue such an undertaking. SoE couldn't have been more wrong. They didn't realize that many would do it. And eventually, most did. The game was becoming Jedi top heavy. SWG as a player driven game could not support this. As player after player began to abandon their original classes for the Force Sensitive skills, the lack of those original classes could be felt. The game was going to implode sooner or later. I believe that is one of the reasons for the change in it's direction so far into it.

Anyway, Enough of SWG. It was a great game but massively flawed. To say nothing of being sunset.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Getting back to the actual topic(this isn't the SWG forums) I'm curious to see where the OP is at with his main.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

Originally posted by Dewguy79

Geez I see two weeks ago the same guy tried to derail this thread into swg if I would have read that first I wouldn't even replied to him.  

So how is your experience going so far?  

It's pretty much become my only game at this point. I've stopped playing the others. I've no real desire to either. Right now, I'm focused on leveling and it's a blast. I describe it a bit here . I'm not at endgame yet, but I am in a guild that raids. Even if endgame is boring, (Although I doubt it will be) I know I have at least one or two (maybe more) classes to level. I'm kinda juggling 2 or 3 right now. All are in the 20s. All are fun and I can't decide which I like best.

• FreezzoFreezzo Member UncommonPosts: 235

I must say this thread is a refreshing read. It's been a while since people were openly admitting to like SWTOR and not be drowning in a sea of negativity.

I played from launch until the first anniversary before I quit, actually hitting Tatooine the first day of early access. It was a blast and recently I picked it up again. Luckily I have forgotten most of the sidequests, which makes playing through them much more fun.

All in all it's a good game for what it does and roleplaying in the star wars universe is plain awesome :D Have fun on your journey through space ;)

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." - John F. Kennedy
    And for MMORPGs ever so true...

Originally posted by superniceguy

The reason I can not find a replacement for SWG is because devs have gotten stuck into a rut to copy WOW and grab its success, but that is not working either, as no MMO has suceeded since WOW, as why play a WOW clone when you can play WOW itself?

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/02/10/bioware-wow-is-the-touchstone-for-the-old-republic/

The only thing wrong with SWG was the bugs, so all that needs to be done is make a game like SWG without the bugs, but that is probably too complex for anybody to do again bug-free, so they keep it simple and cut out loads of features

Anyway Smedley has gone sandbox crazy now, and Everquest Next will be something close, and the "game for SWG fans" Smedley is going on about may be even closer. 

Ok a few things here...first you must have missed the memo complaining about Swtor is no longer the "cool thing to do" please head over to eso and complain.  Soe will not be making a new mmo if eqn is not a massive success.  Smed is just playing with the desperate swg crowd.  You see sony is having serious finacial difficulties right now, there is no chance they will be making two mmos after they just closed a bunch.  

Nobody is making a swg type game because it's very well known that type of game caters to a privileged( they think they are),special, finicky group that nobody wants to deal with.  Back in '06 swg had 10371 players playing on a Friday night, smed denied that subs fell that low but did not deny the reported player number.  Swg was not this great amazing game , it's not a game that would flourish in today's mmo world , it struggled back in '06 with 1/4 of the competition we have today.  

There  will never be a game like swg again, it didn't work back then and it won't work today.  No company want to deal with that crowd. 

I am not saying that there needs to be a game EXACTLY like SWG, but something that takes what SWG did great and actually improve on it, or even do other new things which are just as cool. I bet all these devs are getting fed up making MMOs that keep not taking off like WOW. Something else needs to be done instead of making another WOW clone, which all do not work. SWG failed because it was too buggy. SWTOR failed because it was too much like WOW.  If SWG was not buggy it would have done a lot better. The thing that kept SWG going all these years was its many unique features, not found in any other MMO

If SWG was still active, I would be playing and subbed to that AND SWTOR constantly. I would have taken out annual subs on SWTOR. The 2 games would have been an awesome Star Wars experience. Without SWG, meant I had more time to play SWTOR and so then its enjoyment wears thin quicker. Without SWG (or a classic Star Wars MMO) means Star Wars fans miss out. Having to only play a MMO set in the Old Republic than the classic series, is settling for second best.

I would rather play a Star Wars MMO with R2 / R3 droids, X wings, Y wings etc than T7 droids, Defender etc

The Old Republic era adds to the Star Wars experience it does not make the Star Wars experience, especially with the design of this MMO, which is mainly level characters from 1-55 through each story, and then quit, as there is not much of an end game, which SWG had in bucketloads.

There still can be another Star Wars MMO set in the classic timeline,even if it is not made by SOE who have stated they have no desire to get involved with games like that again, because the licences cause heaps of problems.  With the new films releasing next year, SWG could have gotten expansions from them, but SWTOR can not get anything from them, and if it does it will be silly. Hopefully EA is on the case, with a new Star Wars MMO, and this time, both MMOs can run side by side.

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Geez I see two weeks ago the same guy tried to derail this thread into swg if I would have read that first I wouldn't even replied to him.  

So how is your experience going so far?  

It's pretty much become my only game at this point. I've stopped playing the others. I've no real desire to either. Right now, I'm focused on leveling and it's a blast. I describe it a bit here . I'm not at endgame yet, but I am in a guild that raids. Even if endgame is boring, (Although I doubt it will be) I know I have at least one or two (maybe more) classes to level. I'm kinda juggling 2 or 3 right now. All are in the 20s. All are fun and I can't decide which I like best.

I started the game at launch with a Sith Inquisitor, then went to Sith Juggernaught, then Bounty Hunter before finally hitting 50 with the Jugg. In all I leveled four characters to 50 before the cap was raised to 55. I've since got the Bounty Hunter to 55 and am working on getting a Smuggler to 55. I figured out that I enjoy ranged combat the best so those two are my mains while the others are just for crafting or goofing off when I want to play something different.

• SadSwordfishSadSwordfish Member CommonPosts: 78

I like SWTOR. Parts of it I really like. 

I think the story is excellent, and I would have gone through all 8 stories if only there was not 100 hours worth of repeated quests, while decent to do the first time, becomes too much on the second and third tries.

My favorite MMO is GW2, and I am not interested in going back to Holy Trinity and that sort of old-school combat system. I want active combat, I don't want to look at my abillities, but have less-is-more and more visual orientation and gameplay on the screen rather than on the health bars and too many abillities.

HOWEVER, despite all this I find SWTOR strangely satisfactory. It feels much tighter than it did when it came out, many animations have been fleshed out, and the game feels balanced. They have added so many armors and loot that it's now possible to highly diversify your character in many ways. 

To me, SWTOR is a CO-OP Online RPG. That's really the thing here. It doesn't feel like a living breathing universe, and a part of me wished this was a 500-800 hour long KOTOR 3 that could be played online co-op. 

The stories are fantastic. Working my way through both the Jedi Knight, felt like the best Obi-Wan type story. Heroic and pure Star Wars. The Sith Warrior story felt like a 200 story RPG from the perspective of a young Darth Vader-like archertype. And to top it, off playing as a good Sith Warrior felt like an Exar Kun story, of redemption and reflection.

People hate on Dragon Age 2, this game and Mass Effect 3 a lot, and people say EA ruined Bioware and all that, but to me, the effort they put into the story and scripts of these games is more than almost anyone. There is no equal in terms of breath and duration.. perhaps outside of the amazing Witcher 2. Even the once-greats like Obsidian and Square-Enix have fallen by the wayside in recent years.

KOTOR 1 and 2 are legendary games that resonates with a lot of people outside of their Star Wars licens. When I look back at SWTOR, I feel it hit it's inception the wrong time.

Planned, and began being developed in a time when people didn't know they were going to get fed up with WoW. From that time when this game was imagined it really was the perfect idea. But several expansions and years of more-quests later, and the development snowball of SWTOR was already rolling to far. SWTOR became a victim to the time it was released in. 

That and a poor choice of engine. 

It's not that different from The Phantom Menance. When it came out in 1999, it was just a few years to early to really use CGI effectively, like they did with Gollum in the Two Towers in 2002. TPM would have been a lot better movie had they been able to wait for this. The acting and script would have been more convincing as the actors wouldn't be talking to a green screen but an actual person being mo-capped. 

I almost turned a big mistake into a bigger one.

I've been loving the story line so far, but at the same time, I've been doing all the side quests thinking, OK, How many times am I going to enjoy these? This part of leveling alts is going to get rough. If BW wanted to make a game where players could have a different experience leveling different characters, they should have made 2 or 3 times more side quests so players would never have to complete entire hubs before moving on. This way they could do some quests on one alt and more on a different alt.

Anyway, I had this crazy Idea that I could make that happen by using the ULB. I could boost my XP gains and skip some quests and pick them up later on an alt. So, I went and bought $40.00 in coins (I struggled with this too) in order to get it. I was all set to click the purchase button on the ULB when something in me said, this probably won't work the way I think it will. So, I googled the ULB and sure enough, I found the answer. My gut was right. I almost wasted $40 bucks. I'd have to buy the ULB for each toon. Or at least unlock all the legacy XP gains for each toon. That's more than I wanted to spend. I might be able to justify the cost for my account, but not per toon.

So here I am with $40.00 in coins and I need to figure out what to do with them. I suppose I could make sure that I always look good.

PS. No! you can't haz my stuffs!

So instead I bought Treek (on sale 80% off) for my new Jedi Sentinel. Hehe, It's OP. (At that level anyway)
    They're doing the double XP again next weekend so you should be able to skip all the side quests. Even without it you can skip them by just running flashpoints and PVP. 

Originally posted by ktanner3
    They're doing the double XP again next weekend so you should be able to skip all the side quests. Even without it you can skip them by just running flashpoints and PVP. 

It's not that I want to skip them all. I just don't want to have to repeat them 5 times.

• GormogonGormogon Member UncommonPosts: 224

The unfortunate nature of sidequesting in SWTOR is something I agree with.  WoW sometimes gets praised for offering different "paths" to max level, and in my experience, none of my max level characters in WoW did the same set of quests (though things got a lot worse at the initial level(s) of expansions). At various levels there were almost always multiple places in WoW I could choose to go and play whether it was because I wanted to do some different quests, see some different terrain, or because I enjoyed a series of quests so much I wanted to do them again.  That is not an area SWTOR does well IMO.  There are definitely ways to level faster/differently and skip open-world content (I made heavy use of the space minigame after my first character), but that's not the same thing as having a quantity of content available for different open-world leveling options.  The railroad from Coruscant/Dromund Kaas to the end off Act I in your class story (even though you can eventually choose the order of the planets you visit) is particularly egregious IMO.  For a game that otherwise begs you to play through with the different classes, I think that's unfortunate.

Anyway, while I think there are some serious flaws (the above being one of them), I think SWTOR can be a really good fit for some players.  It is unfortunate that it got dumped on so heavily that people who might have found it fit their taste were kept away from it.

So, while my experience has been very positive so far, it's still not without issue. There is a few things I am finding a bit irritating, or if not irritating, ridiculous. These are all some of the minor things that won't stop me from re subbing next month, but I'll mention them anyway, maybe BW can fix these. sometime in the future.

1. Droid battle cries / combat grunts. It makes me shake my head every time I fight droids.

2. The alien language dialog. This is ridiculous on 2 sides. 1st, They have reused the same 3 or 4 sound tracks to represent every single dialog in the game. It's so blatantly obvious that you can actually start to recite the dialog in your head before they even finish saying it. And yet each time they reuse the same phrases over and over, they change the subtitles. Which brings me to my 2nd point. This kind of undermines the whole "No text" dialog concept. If I have to stop and read subtitles, I might as well be reading a quest dialog box.

3. While I love the populated areas, Working my way to the quest objective's Elite Mob Kill by blasting through minions only to have some other player lying in waiting for me to engage that final "wall" between me and the boss mob only to "claim jump" the boss on me thus making me do all the work clearing a path for someone else to take the objective while I sit and wait for a respawn.....over and over and over, is really starting to piss me off. The same thing happens with loot chests and other "clicky" quest objectives. This is one lesson they could have taken from GW2. Even WoW, now, gives you credit on an objective kill if you tag it even if you didn't initiate combat.

4. Flashpoint need or greed. Every other game, these days, doesn't allow a "need" on an item if you cannot equip it. SWTOR should too. I hate grouping with players who "need" EVERYTHING. Event when they don't.

• SatsunoryuSatsunoryu Member UncommonPosts: 285

I agree with all of the issues you are currently experiencing.  That being said, there is still a part of me deep down that misses this game.  With additions like Galactic Starfighter, the urge hits me that much harder to give it another go.  My issue is EA, unfortunately.  As futile as some may think it is, I believe one of the few real ways you can make any kind of statement in this country is with the almighty dollar.  So I choose not to throw any $ these days to EA.  It sucks too, because I really wanted to play Titanfall :P.

I feel bad for Bioware and I miss the company as I used to view them, but what can they really do about it at this point, I guess?  I do still miss me some huttball though.  Argh... I hate my principles sometimes.

There's not much you can do about the first part of problem 3. One thing I always do is if a mob is surrounding an important object that I need to right click, I send my companion to attack the mob and then I move over and right click it. On mob bosses most of those are inside instances so that is a rare annoyance. Hence why I've always been a fan of instances. I know some people here hate instances, but you can thank the kill stealers and *sshats for that. Game developers simply adapted.

Originally posted by Gorwe
    Don't hate yourself ryu. It's always hard to resist urge. If it wasn't, we'd all have 100 willpower(to use TES attribute). And that is simply ridiculous.

I take it you are talking about the AstroMech beeps right? The T-7/R2 sounds? If so, yes I agree. The person who designed that is a 110% sadist. There's no doubting that :P

Anyhow, how goes it geezer?

Hey, 

It's going good. I mentioned some of the minor annoyances in the game, but I still have one MAJOR issue.

I cant freakin decide what class I want to main! I'm going to end up with 3, 55s simultaneously at this rate. I have 3 between mid 20s and mid 30s

LOL.

I've pretty much come to the point that for me there is no main. I just log in to whatever character I feel like playing. I look at my legacy not as a family but as a large team with different backgrounds that share the same goal.

Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Don't hate yourself ryu. It's always hard to resist urge. If it wasn't, we'd all have 100 willpower(to use TES attribute). And that is simply ridiculous.

I take it you are talking about the AstroMech beeps right? The T-7/R2 sounds? If so, yes I agree. The person who designed that is a 110% sadist. There's no doubting that :P

Anyhow, how goes it geezer?

Hey, 

It's going good. I mentioned some of the minor annoyances in the game, but I still have one MAJOR issue.

I cant freakin decide what class I want to main! I'm going to end up with 3, 55s simultaneously at this rate. I have 3 between mid 20s and mid 30s

LOL.

Want me to help? I'll copy and paste my questions from the "Need a help choosing your class?" thread from the TOR forums. Or you can look it up and post the points here. It's the same to me. I VERY rarely miss with this...

edit: ktanner's advice is awesome especially when you have done one full Empire/Republic run. Just get the legacy wide +% xp buff for the things you intend to play(it'll be for story and space most likely for me) and just do that + class story. On whichever char you feel like playing.

I am focusing on my Slinger for now. This weekend I got to 47 (so far). Since I went Cybertech on him, and my Marauder has Artifice, I'll be able to keep the Sith and his Treek fully geared in blue mods all the way to 55 on the 2nd one. So that's my plan for now.

Well, go ahead and post it, I'll read it anyway. But I think I have a handle on the classes, I just like 2-3 particularly.

Hit 51 on the GS. Finished the story.

Looking back at the plot twist, the signs were all there all along. I remember thinking at times, this story doesn't make sense, this shouldn't play out like this. I thought it was due to rushed story telling, but the twist lined it all up and made sense of it all. LOL.

Good story.

LOL,

I was running the Mekeb story line after I defeated the Hutt's Isotope 5 War Droid, the town's mayor says

"Lovely, I'm the one legged woman at a droid kicking contest"

I thought that was funny.