Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rofl.. it gets better: "Pay $30 extra for your 30 free Days… awesome ZOS, thanks…"

HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821

Quoting TamrielFoundry:

So this is the deal, We bought the Imperial Edition Saved for, collected yay… But you have to subscribe with a CC/Paypal to activate your account…
Or you have to buy a time card… in Australia That’s $30 for 2 months…
Fantastic…
The GF is pretty much in the ‘F*ck this game, f*ck ZOS’ mentality atm… as students we have to manage the little money we have, and extra $30 on top of our past months of saving to get The Imp Ed just to use our “free” 30 days is BS… Credit cards are a no, and you need one for Paypal to properly work… paying and extra $30 is the only option we have apparently… fantastic…

Should there be an option to redeem your free 30 without payment?
Anyone else in a similar situation?

Can you believe it? You have to buy game-time if you have no CC or paypal account. So much for "free 30 days"...

This is so disgusting, exploiting any means possible...

Are you really doing this? Are you really stepping on this train, dear gamers, you who are currently playing this game? This gets a very new and exciting episode if you do

Comments

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213
    Are people new to MMORPG's?  It's always been done like this, you enter your cc & subscription info, you don't get charged until your 30 day free is over.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• GatlanGatlan Member UncommonPosts: 141
    Pretty sure this is standard practise. This was the case in Swtor, TSW, Rift, and War anyway.
  • kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    I'd imagine that if you used a timecard for 2 months that 3 months would be applied to your account. The only MMO that I know of that let you play your 30 days without entering a credit carrd is final fantasy XIV.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Standard practise but I agree its annoying. They shouldn't harass you for time cards or credit details til the month is up.
  • DamediusDamedius Member Posts: 346

Yeah I heard they force you at gunpoint to buy the time  cards. Just like they force everyone who pre-ordered to pre-order.

You know they were going to do really bad things if I didn't buy this game. I feel dirty just thinking about it. I'm off to take a shower now.

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Originally posted by Mardy
    Are people new to MMORPG's?  It's always been done like this, you enter your cc & subscription info, you don't get charged until your 30 day free is over.

DAoC did not. You bought the game and could play for the whole month without having to enter CC info. There might be a few others who did this too.

• Jagwar_FangJagwar_Fang Member UncommonPosts: 264
    Originally posted by Hrotha

Quoting TamrielFoundry:

So this is the deal, We bought the Imperial Edition Saved for, collected yay… But you have to subscribe with a CC/Paypal to activate your account…
    Fantastic…
    The GF is pretty much in the ‘F*ck this game, f*ck ZOS’ mentality atm… as students we have to manage the little money we have, and extra $30 on top of our past months of saving to get The Imp Ed just to use our “free” 30 days is BS… Credit cards are a no, and you need one for Paypal to properly work… paying and extra $30 is the only option we have apparently… fantastic…

Can you believe it? You have to buy game-time if you have no CC or paypal account. So much for "free 30 days"...

Are you really doing this? Are you really stepping on this train, dear gamers, you who are currently playing this game? This gets a very new and exciting episode if you do

I would have thought you would be playing Wildstar beta weekend.  Imagine my surprise to see that you have started yet another troll thread. 

• Vector_ArrowVector_Arrow Member Posts: 18

This.

It's always been like this. Enter the card, get it going and then cancel it if you're that worried you'll forget. It's how I pay for 1 months time without buying a game card.

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    Originally posted by azarhal

DAoC did not. You bought the game and could play for the whole month without having to enter CC info. There might be a few others who did this too.

Several have -- I think the most recent was Tera -- I know I chronoscrolled the whole game and only paid for the box.

• rastapastorrastapastor Member UncommonPosts: 188

Bullshit. not every MMO requires this...for instance WoW :)

• maxkill42maxkill42 Member UncommonPosts: 94
    Are the only people who whine about this, kids without mommys credit card, and broke people without jobs? Think I spend more on cigarettes, energy drinks everyday
  • HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    Originally posted by Damedius

Yeah I heard they force you at gunpoint to buy the time  cards. Just like they force everyone who pre-ordered to pre-order.

You know they were going to do really bad things if I didn't buy this game. I feel dirty just thinking about it. I'm off to take a shower now.

Gosh damn it!!!

Is that why I preordered?!

Zenimax, I will be seeking legal counsel.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• SetzerSetzer Member UncommonPosts: 261
    Originally posted by Bannuk
    Originally posted by Hrotha

Quoting TamrielFoundry:

Fantastic…

I would have thought you would be playing Wildstar beta weekend.  Imagine my surprise to see that you have started yet another troll thread. 

I thought so too.  Not surprising though, Hrotha loves to hate on ESO!

• PogoantPogoant Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Did the banks in Australia not invent the debit card yet?  Last I heard... keeping a bag of cash under your mattress or wrapped like a juicy pork chop in the freezer was a worse idea than buying a new game that you can't afford to play.  Enter your debit card...get your free 30 days without being charged, and if you are still broke after 30 days it usually automatically kills your sub due to insufficient funds.  No charges to be had.     /dump troll

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

Not all MMOS do this. WOW for example never asked me for CC or time cards till my 30 days were over.

• AviorAvior Member UncommonPosts: 54
    There is this thing called auto billing. Companies like to use this because they can bill you without having to remind you to pay. If they remind you, you might decide to take a break, and they don't want that. So it' s beneficial for them to force you to enter payment arrangements. I don't think any company should force you into payment arrangements, and you should have options if you want to be auto billed or not.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Conversely, why must every new MMORPG conform to older standards?  Because other MMORPG's do it?  Ugh.

I prefer to have a free month actually free without credit info exchanges.  It is "free", isn't is?

I think companies bank on the fact that people might forget about their account payment signups and (unfortunately for them) pay for extra months, even though they just forgot they wanted to play the game at launch.  They simply forget to unsubscribe.  They don't play, but still get billed.  Fans will scream it's the players fault! .. but really, people have lives and forget they had to sign up on a recurring billing method, with a free month  ..

It's a cheezy practice.  Zenimax is doing what every other MMORPG does, in that respect.  Which is also cheezy for other games.  Meh.  Great way to not break the mold, I guess.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• OldMMOGamerOldMMOGamer Member UncommonPosts: 100
    Dear god another clueless, dramatic post from the OP
  • rnor6084rnor6084 Member UncommonPosts: 111

Where exactly is this gun? I saw no such thing when logged into my account tonight.

Drama queen.

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213
    What deems this a melodramatic thread is the fact that OP is simply digging and quoting someone else.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• NetDudexNetDudex Member UncommonPosts: 10
    my only issue is that they actually charged my account the 41 bucks for 90 days when I submitted the payment. Even though it said $0.00 due.. Made a ticket and hopefully they fix it.
  • VandragoVandrago Member UncommonPosts: 230

This..

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by Stizzled
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

Not all MMOS do this. WOW for example never asked me for CC or time cards till my 30 days were over.

I find that hard to believe since, when I bought WoW back in 2004, I had to run my ass back across town to Best Buy to buy a time card just so that I could get in the game. I was still playing Diablo II at the time and some friends finally convinced me to pick up WoW. They didn't tell me anything about the monthly sub, so it was a surprise when I got home and found out that I had to pick a subscription method before I could even log in.

That's why I don't understand why everyone is freaking out about this. It's been the same way in every sub MMO I've played. I had to put in my Debit info just to log in when I bought LotRO. Hell just recently when I bought my PS4 I had to put my info in just to get my free week of PS+ and free $20 for my PS Store Wallet at which point it forced me to sub for automatic wallet refills. This sort of thing isn't anything new.

I didnt start playing WOW back in 2004. I started it recently and i wasn't asked for any CC. Things have changed a lot since 2004. I don't care either way, all i am saying it is wrong to say it is a standard 'practise'. because its not anymore.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

While I find it a seedy practice, here's what doesn't make sense.  Why, if you were so frugal, would you buy a game for 90 dollars or whatever the imp edition costs, if you were only planning on playing for the free month?

Makes no sense.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Stizzled
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

I find that hard to believe since, when I bought WoW back in 2004, I had to run my ass back across town to Best Buy to buy a time card just so that I could get in the game. I was still playing Diablo II at the time and some friends finally convinced me to pick up WoW. They didn't tell me anything about the monthly sub, so it was a surprise when I got home and found out that I had to pick a subscription method before I could even log in.

That's why I don't understand why everyone is freaking out about this. It's been the same way in every sub MMO I've played. I had to put in my Debit info just to log in when I bought LotRO. Hell just recently when I bought my PS4 I had to put my info in just to get my free week of PS+ and free $20 for my PS Store Wallet at which point it forced me to sub for automatic wallet refills. This sort of thing isn't anything new.

I bought WoW back then and I never had to enter credit card info.  I didn't even have a credit card then.  I plunked my hard-earned cash down and bought the game.  I played as soon as I installed it.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

This discussion has been closed.