Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Being Charged 14.99 Up front Beforre 30 Days???

Comments

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Protunia

Yeah it does sound like a cash grab and a stupid one at that.

Saying you get 30 days free then charging someone another $14.99 who just spent $40-60 on your game to make sure they use their 30 days??

Sounds like they are trying to get people who don't notice it or forget and then bang you wake up one day and find another $14.99 on your card long after you quit.

Kind of a milking cash flow scheme from those who don't pay attention or forget things or simply quit after 30 days and went on with life without remembering to cancel.

I have seen magazines like that the just keep charging you year after year because you wanted a free issue. ; )

This also reminds me of late night ads on TV saying lifetime money back....we all know they prey on people to buy and never try to get anything back at all.

Anyhow Accounts should have been given credit for 30 days play and then asked for payment as time expired.

Now lets think about the other side of this, why would any company knowingly defraud their customers in an act of malice the day's it's product is gong live, in such a traceable easily identified way as this? This kind of thing can hurt your company far more than it could ever help it.

People don't use their brains and jump to conclusion. 

I really don't say this to be insulting , however........you may be correct.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ilivesilives Member Posts: 418
    Originally posted by Amjoco

Saying you get 30 days free then charging someone another $14.99 who just spent $40-60 on your game to make sure they use their 30 days??

Sounds like they are trying to get people who don't notice it or forget and then bang you wake up one day and find another $14.99 on your card long after you quit.

Kind of a milking cash flow scheme from those who don't pay attention or forget things or simply quit after 30 days and went on with life without remembering to cancel.

I have seen magazines like that the just keep charging you year after year because you wanted a free issue. ; )

This also reminds me of late night ads on TV saying lifetime money back....we all know they prey on people to buy and never try to get anything back at all.

Anyhow Accounts should have been given credit for 30 days play and then asked for payment as time expired.

Now lets think about the other side of this, why would any company knowingly defraud their customers in an act of malice the day's it's product is gong live, in such a traceable easily identified way as this? This kind of thing can hurt your company far more than it could ever help it.

People don't use their brains and jump to conclusion. 

Where have all the "good" shills gone?

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772

Do you believe they're really that stupid? and...Over a few dollars from a select few that would over look it?

I think you underestimate the amount of people that won't notice they've been charged, and also overestimate the amount of people that are actually going to subscribe to this horrible game after the free month is up.

"a few dollars" is a month's worth of sub-fee from someone that probably otherwise wouldn't have paid it, and if they keep charging, then if you ever cancel you will be paying for a month you don't even want to play the game.

Everything about this game is cash-grab city and it's clear they know they do not have a decent product so they're trying to get as much profit as they can before it implodes.

• TalruneTalrune Member Posts: 339

As OP of thread I have made my point as well as others let us end thread now.   And to those that know my name and ignore me in game THANK YOU saves me the time.  To those that want to add me it is Talrune

Cya shortly

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

Hopefully people know how to read their cc statements.  For my cc company, there's a section for "pending transactions".  If someone simply checks the credit card's validity, it would show up under pending transactions.  But if you watch it, those "authorize" only transactions do not get posted, they go away after awhile.

If they are indeed charged, they would be listed under posted transactions.  Same day transactions rarely show up under "posted" transactions, because it takes a day to get it posted.  So I do question people saying they see the monthly charge posted today under their cc billing statement.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

Originally posted by holdenhamlet

Do you believe they're really that stupid? and...Over a few dollars from a select few that would over look it?

I think you underestimate the amount of people that won't notice they've been charged, and also overestimate the amount of people that are actually going to subscribe to this horrible game after the free month is up.

"a few dollars" is a month's worth of sub-fee from someone that probably otherwise wouldn't have paid it, and if they keep charging, then if you ever cancel you will be paying for a month you don't even want to play the game.

Everything about this game is cash-grab city and it's clear they know they do not have a decent product so they're trying to get as much profit as they can before it implodes.

It's not about the number who wouldn't notice it's about the number that would.

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989

No...you over estimate the amount that will

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

Originally posted by Talrune

As OP of thread I have made my point as well as others let us end thread now.   And to those that know my name and ignore me in game THANK YOU saves me the time.  To those that want to add me it is Talrune

Cya shortly

If I add you...will you question why?

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    I've seen this in several MMOs.  They charge you a sub fee, then refund it to check the card.  It helps fight fraud.  If they don't refund it, then that's a whole 'nother problem altogether lol.  Also it might be a hold on the funds, this has also been done before.  They money hasn't been taken out, it's more of a "Hey Credit Card Company, we gonna take this out later, save us a spot" kind of deal.

It's not about the number who wouldn't notice it's about the number that would.

Most would, but if you know that most players are not going to subscribe to the game (and who would, really, to this game), then you're going to be looking for any way possible to at least get 1 sub fee out of some of them.

Originally posted by Gravarg
    I've seen this in several MMOs.  They charge you a sub fee, then refund it to check the card.  It helps fight fraud.  If they don't refund it, then that's a whole 'nother problem altogether lol.

Any time I've been charged a validation fee it's always 1 dollar, not the full price of something.  That's ludicrous.

I've seen this in several MMOs.  They charge you a sub fee, then refund it to check the card.  It helps fight fraud.  If they don't refund it, then that's a whole 'nother problem altogether lol.

Any time I've been charged a validation fee it's always 1 dollar, not the full price of something.  That's ludicrous.

Once again...do you know of what you speak?

ATM/Debt card charge the $1. ALL OTHERS charge the full price. So it STILL could be what you so arrogantly poo pooed

Most would, but if you know that most players are not going to subscribe to the game (and who would, really, to this game), then you're going to be looking for any way possible to at least get 1 sub fee out of some of them.

What do they gain when they get caught with  their hands in something like that? I know there are corrupt businesses out there, but this would be a rather amateurish scam, as it's easily traceable, there are far too many who would make noise about something like this, it would be idiotic.... How can you not see that?

• RaapnaapRaapnaap Member UncommonPosts: 455

I applied the game keys for two different accounts, in both cases I got asked to set up a subscription method. I didn't think much of it as that is standard practice... Then I realized:

- Both accounts did not receive their 30 'free' days of game time included with the Imperial Edition purchases.

- Both accounts state I have 29 days of playtime remaining.

- I was charged twice on my PayPal account, for a monthly subscription fee.

This is practically a scam, I expect my subscription money refunded.

UPDATE: PayPal now lists both subscription transactions as cancelled by the vendor. Apparently they do this with all payment methods to verify the legitimacy of the information... Still, a piss poor way of handling a launch, too much confusion because they don't bother explaining any of this.

my card got pre-charged 50 dollars one time for something that cost significantly less actually, due to a promotional deal,  however the service required that amount (the regular price) in the account to process the charge and finalize the transaction (begin service). Some systems are just whacked.

Originally posted by raapnaap

I applied the game keys for two different accounts, in both cases I got asked to set up a subscription method. I didn't think much of it as that is standard practice... Then I realized:

- Both accounts did not receive their 30 'free' days of game time included with the Imperial Edition purchases.

Like Distopia said....you really think they are scamming us? Go through the normal checks and balances...STOP the friggin moronic conspiracy theories...

They've already acknowledged it and have said contact them in the case of billing error, IE they seem to have expected issues.

• ianicusianicus Member UncommonPosts: 665
    Originally posted by ianicus

In my 17 years of playing mmos I honestly never recalled a mmo that ad 30 days game time charging your credit card for the following month before the 30 days are up...never. 

Yeah there may be a 1.00 auth charge and I though perhaps the 14.99 was the same thing and will fall off.  I called American Express and t hey said no this is an actual merchant charge not a pre auth and will not fall off. 

Very deceiving on their part Zenimax.  Having American Express remove that charge as well. I don't mind if they specified you have to pay your sub up front then get 30 days free but that has never been like this for any other mmo I have ever played.

I would say this was a billing error in thier system. It can happen easy enough, tons of MMO's out there have had billing issues, double charges, etc. Its too bad it had to happen in the first month, but as they have replied in thier forums, they are admitting that if there was a charge it would be an error, and are there to help correct it. Anything else is worthless speculation and trolling.

To be  clear my  original post was before they admitted this so i was not trolling.

Before? you mentioned nothing in your original post about even attempting to contact Zeni, or maybe look to see if any news about this issue was posted, we can only go by what you write, and what you wrote sounded as if you'd done none of that, if you don't want to be accused of trolling, formulate a more concise post.

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby

What do they gain when they get caught with  their hands in something like that? I know there are corrupt businesses out there, but this would be a rather amateurish scam, as it's easily traceable, there are far too many who would make noise about something like this, it would be idiotic.... How can you not see that?

They gain money.

And even if it is a mistake, that just proves that they're capable of idiocy.  

And besides, as this thread aptly shows, any amount of "noise" that is made will be somewhat countered by fanbois rushing to defend the newest big MMO.

They gain money.

Your posts show this also

Originally posted by Gestankfaust

They gain money.

Oh ok let's get personal then, Fanboi.

people like you really need to contact the merchant before creating slanderous posts like this on other gaming websites.

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby

They gain money.

And besides, as this thread aptly shows, any amount of "noise" that is made will be somewhat countered by fanbois rushing to defend the newest big MMO.

WTH, you think fanbois on forums could save them from the lashing in the media, not to mention possible criminal charges?

Originally posted by ianicus

people like you really need to contact the merchant before creating slanderous posts like this on other gaming websites.

LOL how is it slanderous to make it known they were incorrectly charged, which is a horrible mistake at best and a scam at worst.

Originally posted by Gestankfaust

They gain money.

Oh ok let's get personal then, Fanboi.

lol so a simple billing error is idiocy LOL what a lauch, people are such fools these days. What harm have they done, none, there was a computer error and they have acknowlaged it and advised they are more than happy to help any affected customers...give them a freakin break, these things happen, and HAVE happened in most other major MMO's over the years.

This discussion has been closed.