Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I highly suggest to everyone to play this with a xbox controller.

Comments

• sudosudo Member UncommonPosts: 697
    I also am playing with xbox conytoller via xpadder, using slightly different setup from the gamebreaker dude. It works okish, with some minor issues but is still 100 times better than keyboard and mouse for me.
    I am quite pissed at game companies not caring about gamers who prefer controllers, especially for games released on consoles as well as pcs (diablo...)

"Only in quiet waters do things mirror themselves undistorted.
    Only in a quiet mind is adequate perception of the world."
    Hans Margolius

• SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788

Gotta love how seemingly defensive some people get when anyone mentions using a "Gasp!" controller in a PC game! Holy Sh*t! How could you possibly do something that could put you at a competitive disadvantage, merely for the sake of fun!? What the **** are you thinking?! How do you not take vidya games as seriously as I do??!!! Does... not... compute.... brain... melting...atrophying....ugggh.

That's seriously what I imagine when I see people bashing someone else for wanting to play the game differently, or particularly, in a way they enjoy. I like gamepads too and I might make an xpadder profile myself at some point. But even if I don't, I'm sure as hell not going to criticize people for playing in a way that's fun for them.

Edit: Just to clarify, I'm not only referencing this sole thread, but just how this discussion tends to go whenever it's brought up, on any PC game without (or sometimes, even with) official controller support.

• makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by Seilan

Gotta love how seemingly defensive some people get when anyone mentions using a "Gasp!" controller in a PC game! Holy Sh*t! How could you possibly do something that could put you at a competitive disadvantage, merely for the sake of fun!? What the **** are you thinking?! How do you not take vidya games as seriously as I do??!!! Does... not... compute.... brain... melting...atrophying....ugggh.

That's seriously what I imagine when I see people bashing someone else for wanting to play the game differently, or particularly, in a way they enjoy. I like gamepads too and I might make an xpadder profile myself at some point. But even if I don't, I'm sure as hell not going to criticize people for playing in a way that's fun for them.

Edit: Just to clarify, I'm not only referencing this sole thread, but just how this discussion tends to go whenever it's brought up, on any PC game without (or sometimes, even with) official controller support.

Well the only problem i see, is that game pad support shouldent even be a issue. Nor should it even be considered, when the game is in the state that it is in.

Thats  like saying hey guys, we got game pad support. But while we were wasting time on that, 17 people and a couple of gold spammers got access to your account. But dont worry we have a mystery department looking into the issues. In the mean time we are updating the quality of the starting movie, that 90 percent of the people skip. We got you dont worry, the duping of banks, and items, and people getting access to your accounts are minor.

We got that game pad function on the way, as well as new animations for the mouths of npc that look like they are disconnected from their heads in a cananda south park fashion. We got our shit together dont worry, because helping you is our greatest of goals in life.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

thanks for the replies guys

• Agnostic42Agnostic42 Member UncommonPosts: 405

Some games play better with a controller. Assassin's Creed, Skyrim, Tomb Raider, Grid,  several others. I  keep a green glowy X-box controller plugged in at all times in a free USB slot, really matches my green glowy Razor Naga and glow of the Razor keyboard. Yeah, Green is King baby!

I normally don't play MMO's with a controller, but I have met plenty who do. Seems this game might do pretty well with one. It seems kind of silly how some would bash using a controller on a pc when quite a few games these days are direct ports from consoles, and designed to be played with one. Seriously, if you haven't tried playing with one yet, plug one in an give a game a go, you might be surprised.

• SmirchSmirch Member Posts: 163
    And I'm out...any MMO that can be played easily on a controller is not my type of MMO. To each their own, but for me, no thanks.
  • describabledescribable Member UncommonPosts: 407

why on earth would i want to use an xbox "you must have a power pack since it's 1999 and USB power charging hasn't been invented yet" controller?

i'll stick to my keyboard, can't wait to use my PS4 one though.... 

"nothing actually matters, we're just slightly evolved monkeys clinging to a dying piece of rock hurtling through space waiting for our eventual death." - Frankie Boyle, Mock The Week

• SmirchSmirch Member Posts: 163
    To everyone wondering why there is a reasonable amount of anti-controller backlash it's because we are PC gamers and we already have the ultimate input peripherals. Dumbing down to a controller from a keyboard would be like taking a  really nice mountain bike to a motorcycle race.
  • makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096
    Bottom line is the game fails, this is just another reason for some, to make it fail harder. Haha
  • MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,267
    Am I actually the only one that find it quite funny that the PC version does not support controller when the game is made with it in mind?
  • kanechartkanechart Member UncommonPosts: 707

Suggest you throw this into the OP Topic and check out an addon just for controller support.

http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info77-Stratejacket360UI.html

Remember if you have suggestions then make them on the addons page!

SNIP

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by uidLuc1d
    Controller isn't bad for the PvE aspect of the game... still not my cup of tea though... feels too much like keyboard turning.

Thats the big issue with me. The response times just feel so slow with controllers. It really does feel like I'm handicapping myself using one. Like playing basketball in a wheelchair.

• TbauTbau Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 401

This thread makes me glad I didn't buy the game. An MMO that plays better on a console controller cannot possibly have the depth an MMO needs to hold me more than a month. Simplified gameplay is a killer for me with this genre.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by makasouleater69
    Originally posted by Seilan

Well the only problem i see, is that game pad support shouldent even be a issue. Nor should it even be considered, when the game is in the state that it is in.

Thats  like saying hey guys, we got game pad support. But while we were wasting time on that, 17 people and a couple of gold spammers got access to your account. But dont worry we have a mystery department looking into the issues. In the mean time we are updating the quality of the starting movie, that 90 percent of the people skip. We got you dont worry, the duping of banks, and items, and people getting access to your accounts are minor.

We got that game pad function on the way, as well as new animations for the mouths of npc that look like they are disconnected from their heads in a cananda south park fashion. We got our shit together dont worry, because helping you is our greatest of goals in life.

Because surely the same guys working on the cinematics, the UI design, controls, etc are also the same guys programming every single other aspect of the game and handling security. You really dont know much about this sort of thing do you?

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by Tbau

This thread makes me glad I didn't buy the game. An MMO that plays better on a console controller cannot possibly have the depth an MMO needs to hold me more than a month. Simplified gameplay is a killer for me with this genre.

Strangely, the gameplay doesn't feel as simplistic as something like GW2, despite having a similar number of ability slots.  I think it's partly because you spend time reacting and timing things during combat, like blocks and dodges, so it's not just a matter of using everything on cooldown.

You can also avoid combat entirely, in many situations, with things like stealth or equipping disguises, so you rarely feel like you're simply grinding through the mobs for XP.  Also, the lack of "kill / collect X" quests helps cut down on the total number of grinding sessions as well.

But, since you haven't even played it, I'm sure you'll just assume I'm a fanboi or something, and ignore my opinion in favor of your assumptions.

You make me like charity

• TbauTbau Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 401
    Originally posted by asmkm22

Strangely, the gameplay doesn't feel as simplistic as something like GW2, despite having a similar number of ability slots.  I think it's partly because you spend time reacting and timing things during combat, like blocks and dodges, so it's not just a matter of using everything on cooldown.

You can also avoid combat entirely, in many situations, with things like stealth or equipping disguises, so you rarely feel like you're simply grinding through the mobs for XP.  Also, the lack of "kill / collect X" quests helps cut down on the total number of grinding sessions as well.

But, since you haven't even played it, I'm sure you'll just assume I'm a fanboi or something, and ignore my opinion in favor of your assumptions.

I was in beta enough to get the feel of early combat and hoped later levels were going to bring the depth that was missing, dodge and block is not depth as even GW2 has it and is weak in the combat department. the ability to activate a large variety of skills is depth as it allows for a greater variety in battle tactics.

BTW, I like how you assumed I never played while accusing me of making assumptions when clearly just using a controller for everything proves my case on its own.

• Sk1ppeRSk1ppeR Member Posts: 511
    Originally posted by makasouleater69

I would totally disagree with you. Controllers are a inferior controller for anything. They have slow response time, you cant change it to what you want ect ect ect. A razor mouse with on the fly dpi changing, and a the razor orbweaver are 100 times better then a xbox controller. 

That is not even going into the advantage your going to have over people who use a xbox game pad. I mean you can see it easy enough in games like dust, where you can use both. Any one using the ps3 game pad, cant turn fast enough or any where as accurate as some one with a adjustable on the fly mouse. And since this game you can only target by pointing at your target, some one with a razer mouse and orb weaver is going to have a serious advantage.

Yeah its a bit obvious that a controller is bad for FPS games. (Although there is added accuracy adjustment) 

But um, maybe you want to check out games like Diablo 3 or Race Driver: GRID and try to do shit with your razor mouse. We all know that Razor is crap anyway, they always break down.  *troll*

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Not only should they not add controller support to PC MMOs, they should make keyboard + mouse support mandatory for any MMO on a console, and have those not have controller support either.  Most things in life are a matter of opinion, but if you're playing a MMO with a controller, you're doing it wrong.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by Smirch
    To everyone wondering why there is a reasonable amount of anti-controller backlash it's because we are PC gamers and we already have the ultimate input peripherals. Dumbing down to a controller from a keyboard would be like taking a  really nice mountain bike to a motorcycle race.

Do you realize nearly every MMO is actually playable with a controller just fine? Guess that must mean you're quitting MMOs then.

With the software available for controllers you can highly customize you controls to be just as effective, sometimes more so, than a mouse and keyboard. Of course I wouldnt recommend it for an FPS game, or a game like Darkfall (mouse wins there due to precision), but pretty much any game which utilizes targeting systems (soft targeting like ESO, GW2, DDO, etc) or tab targeting, and dont require lot of precision can easily be played with a controller without hindering you at all as long as you know how to properly set it up. Hell I used to play games like CoH with a controller perfectly fine.

• Sk1ppeRSk1ppeR Member Posts: 511

I just love people claiming Gw2 is simplistic combat-wise. Lets go 1on1 in sPvP please. Please try to win me, or anyone in that regards, in tournament sPvP. Its a challenge yep

• ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931
    ESO does not play easier with a controller.  You do understand you can map out most if not all MMOs games like this with xpadder that do now support a controller.
  • blondehblondeh Member UncommonPosts: 540
    I decided against ESO..However i always play skyrim with my xbox 360 controller and its so much better than keyboard and mouse. Infact i only use my keyboard for WoW and FPS games, eveything else like Batman, sleeping dogs and assins creed gets played with my controller

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,267

It has been like that for years now.

Well, not in the aspect of MMOs (except Defiance,ARR etc.) but that is the future. We have to adapt.

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by Sk1ppeR

I just love people claiming Gw2 is simplistic combat-wise. Lets go 1on1 in sPvP please. Please try to win me, or anyone in that regards, in tournament sPvP. Its a challenge yep

Of course it's a challenge, it's PvP. Like a pong PvP tournament will be a challenge. Doesn't change peoples opinions they find the combat mechanics simple.

All your proving if you win is that your better at the simplistic combat mechanics GW2 offers than the person you beat.

• rochristrochrist Member UncommonPosts: 134
    Originally posted by hbktimf24
    I found a nice xpadder profile and decided to give it a try so I can play on my 60" TV easier and oh boy this game is 100% better when using a controller.  You can just tell it was meant to be played with a controller.  So do yourself a favor use a controller. It really blows my mind this didn't launch with controller support.  

That line right there is why I have zero interest in playing this game, now or ever.