Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So, how is grouping handled ?

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

I'll keep this short, and most of my opinions out of it, because we had limited exposure to bata.  But my friends and I had issues with playing the game.  A lot of that could have been a lack of understanding.

So for the vets of bata and the launch :

How is grouping up with friends, Guilds, dungeons and random players, for PvE and PvP working out ?

Is it broken ?.........or Is it just a matter of understanding ?.....Does it need more time ?

Does the maga server screw up plans of playing together ?

Comments

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    I ask this question because people tend to solo and base things from game play only......I play for mmo after I get over the learning curve.
  • gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413

Grouping is somewhat strange in the beginning, but when you get used to it, I think its fine and well done. Imo far better created than SWTORs phase rooms with those green laser doors when you enter them.

Theres no mob tagging, so everyone who hits the mob for a certain amount of dmg gets the kill credit and loot, so sometimes you wont need groups in dungeons and open world events. Just jump in with the other guys around and everyone gets his piece of the cake.

When you are in a group, "meet with player" is your best friend. Since some quests can change the world for every player, it can happen that you stand in the same town as your group-mate, but around him the town is destroyed and you stand in another phase where its all fine. So in this case you wont see your buddy first. There comes the "right-mouseclick- meet with player" option into play. It will teleport you to your mates phase and you can go on playing with him.

Hodor!

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

The megaserver idea actually solves the problem of choosing a server, then getting the bad luck of getting stuck on a low pop server later.  So in terms of playing together with people, the mega server design is likely how things will be in the future.

You know this when ArenaNet just came out with a press release today telling everyone that they'll be implementing MegaServer for GW2.  Yup, Anet has taken notice to how ESO is handling things.  Expect more games to follow in the future.  If you think about it, it makes sense, and reduce the need to spend money on server transfers or having people quit a game because they got stuck on a low pop server later on.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571
    Originally posted by Mardy

The megaserver idea actually solves the problem of choosing a server, then getting the bad luck of getting stuck on a low pop server later.  So in terms of playing together with people, the mega server design is likely how things will be in the future.

You know this when ArenaNet just came out with a press release today telling everyone that they'll be implementing MegaServer for GW2.  Yup, Anet has taken notice to how ESO is handling things.  Expect more games to follow in the future.  If you think about it, it makes sense, and reduce the need to spend money on server transfers or having people quit a game because they got stuck on a low pop server later on.

Nop. GW2 takes notice from GW1, which followed this path 10 years before TESO!

• fascismfascism Member UncommonPosts: 428
    Originally posted by Aroukos
    Originally posted by Mardy

Nop. GW2 takes notice from GW1, which followed this path 10 years before TESO!

I think Cryptic uses similar tech for their games too.

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213
    Yes the tech was used in other games before, notably GW1.  But don't for one second think that Anet announcing the switch towards MegaServer 1 day before ESO's official launch has nothing to do with ESO.  I've been playing GW2 and one of the common complaints is how Anet has been milking players for server transfers.  So now that a competitive product is out, they finally will do more to help their existing players.  Funny how that works.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Only problems I have at the moment....

1) group finder....adds people as they are found instead of forming group when all members are found. If someone leaves the group it cancels group finder.

2) at the moment finding healers and tanks hard. People from beta have no patience and leave if not guild run.

3) in group finder you can que for stuff you are not.

4) leader can kick for any reason. No vote mechanics.

Just my opinions.
  • AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571
    If you consider that GW2 is a B2P game without monthly fee, then imo they are delivering quality content at a fast pace.
  • Yoda_CloneYoda_Clone Member Posts: 219
    Originally posted by Horusra

1) group finder....adds people as they are found instead of forming group when all members are found. If someone leaves the group it cancels group finder.

2) at the moment finding healers and tanks hard. People from beta have no patience and leave if not guild run.

Just my opinions.

I think the problem of finding healers and tanks in game has to do with somewhat broken healing and tank mechanics.

I've "successfully" healed some groups in dungeons, but you are guaranteed to wipe no matter how good you are.  By "successful" I'm implying we won through and killed the final bosses, not that nobody ever died.  None of the healing skills are good enough to prevent player deaths, not even the Templar's ultimate, and healers seem to create ten times the aggro of DPS players and end up running a lot.

ZOS evidently knows this, too, since every intermediate boss drops soul stones so players can revive themselves and their comrades.  You won't find soul stones being dropped hardly anywhere else in game, but they drops like fly turds in dungeons.

At the same time, I've yet to  see any player, irrespective of the build, effectively fulfill the traditional tank role.  One of my alts is a tank; tanks can't grab aggro, can't keep aggro, and are weak as babies against ranged opponents; heavy armor doesn't do crap in the game.

In other words, there are some balance issues that are going to have to be resolved before healing and tanking are effective in the game for traditional group play.  It becomes frustrating... so, "drive-by" healing and tanking are more common since they're more fun in-game.

That is problematic when doing some solo dungeons; I have found a lot of on-level bosses that players with tank-builds don't have a snowball's chance in hell of beating because of their ranged capabilities and self-healing.

• gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413
    Originally posted by Yoda_Clone
    I think the problem of finding healers and tanks in game has to do with somewhat broken healing and tank mechanics.

I've "successfully" healed some groups in dungeons, but you are guaranteed to wipe no matter how good you are.  By "successful" I'm implying we won through and killed the final bosses, not that nobody ever died.  None of the healing skills are good enough to prevent player deaths, not even the Templar's ultimate, and healers seem to create ten times the aggro of DPS players and end up running a lot.

ZOS evidently knows this, too, since every intermediate boss drops soul stones so players can revive themselves and their comrades.  You won't find soul stones being dropped hardly anywhere else in game, but they drops like fly turds in dungeons.

At the same time, I've yet to  see any player, irrespective of the build, effectively fulfill the traditional tank role.  One of my alts is a tank; tanks can't grab aggro, can't keep aggro, and are weak as babies against ranged opponents; heavy armor doesn't do crap in the game.

In other words, there are some balance issues that are going to have to be resolved before healing and tanking are effective in the game for traditional group play.  It becomes frustrating... so, "drive-by" healing and tanking are more common since they're more fun in-game.

That is problematic when doing some solo dungeons; I have found a lot of on-level bosses that players with tank-builds don't have a snowball's chance in hell of beating because of their ranged capabilities and self-healing.

The dungeon play is intended to be not like WOW and most of the others.

In ESO you shouldnt think that any tank can stick to their rotation and hold aggro against 7 mobs. There is more to do also for DPS (CC, Kiting, expoit synergies in some skills, heal yourself if you can) You cant rely on the magical "mob-glue" that tanks in other games have, which would make dungeons for DD a brainless spamfest. And people need to get prepared to wipe. Another thing gamers dont know anymore because of the sheer simplicity many dungeons in wow have today.

I think people need to get used to this system, because apart from GW2 no other game did try this "soft-trinity". There are no balance issues. There are just issues in the minds of players.

Hodor!

• carpalcarpal Member UncommonPosts: 99

Just my opinions.

Group finder is probably the poorest implemented grouping tool I have ever seen.  You can choose your role (healer, tank, DPS), but it just randomly chooses someone to fill your group.  Its crap.

• carpalcarpal Member UncommonPosts: 99
    Originally posted by Yoda_Clone

Just my opinions.

I think this just needs a new way of thinking about it.  At the lower levels (don't know about the higher ones), tanks seem to have a problem with aggro.  yes healers pull way too much aggro, and yes the heals are subpar for the risk.

But, if you use the team abilities, which are awesome btw, there are group mechanics us newbies are just starting to figure out.  For instance, on my NB, the healer was in serious trouble, I popped my ultimate ability, which gave the healer an option to disappear.  She did, and the boss went back to the tank.  Just an example.

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599

Has the group phasing issues been handled?

Where everyone in the group had to be on the same part, otherwise it got tricky and sometimes teammates were invisible with one another.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by HorrorScope

Where everyone in the group had to be on the same part, otherwise it got tricky and sometimes teammates were invisible with one another.

Was fixed before launch, works great now have had no issues grouping with all my friends.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

Just my opinions.

1. Good, actually prefer it that way

2. That is standard in any MMO especially near release

3. what?

4. That is very very good. Much better than getting trolled by 2 or 3 bads with vote kick powers.

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Good is not having the group finder cancel when someone leaves.

People with no patience just sucks and is in other games beyond release.

Que as heals when you can not heal one bit just to get in a group...or accidentally que as heals when you are not is a time waster.

The last is opinion...if you are in a 4 man with 2 or 3 "bads"...*rolls eyes*....then do you really want to be in that group if you cannot get the votes to kick them. Or hey thanks for getting us to the last boss, but guildie needs your spot...goodbye.
  • DEATHRAMENTDEATHRAMENT Member UncommonPosts: 701
    A question on the grouping system. Im a healer and usually find it hard to hit the mobs most times, do i need to hit the mobs to get exp and loot or will healing give me credit alone?
    Good is not having the group finder cancel when someone leaves.

People with no patience just sucks and is in other games beyond release.

Que as heals when you can not heal one bit just to get in a group...or accidentally que as heals when you are not is a time waster.

The last is opinion...if you are in a 4 man with 2 or 3 "bads"...*rolls eyes*....then do you really want to be in that group if you cannot get the votes to kick them. Or hey thanks for getting us to the last boss, but guildie needs your spot...goodbye.

I see what you are saying now.

#3 I agree with, shouldn't be able to queue heals if you aren't.

I'm still of the opinion that having the group leader kick people is way better. WoW, Rift, all of those games are filled with people that will vote kick you to get another guildy in, we don't need more of that.

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950
    Originally posted by carpal

Just my opinions.

Group finder is probably the poorest implemented grouping tool I have ever seen.  You can choose your role (healer, tank, DPS), but it just randomly chooses someone to fill your group.  Its crap.

Party leader can pick what roles they want for the remaining slots.
  • HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    Originally posted by HorrorScope

Was fixed before launch, works great now have had no issues grouping with all my friends.

Thanks, that was a showstopper for me...