Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buy or not to buy?

Comments

• TraugarTraugar Member UncommonPosts: 183
    Originally posted by Arndush
    Originally posted by Aroukos

No. Check some streams before or if a friend got it already go to his house and play a bit.

I don't like it, some others do. Don't listen either of us. Check it on your own.

I love the game and I agree with him. Check it out for yourself.

These guys are spot on.  I love the game, and have recommended it to several of my friends but I know what types of games that they like.  For me, This is the most I have enjoyed a game since SWG.  I guess it's the class design, and the fact that I have never found an Elder Scrolls game I didn't enjoy.  

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

I was skeptical of it initially. Didn't bother to play any of the beta weekends (mainly due to waiting on a new hard drive since my old one went out on me and had to replace it temporarily with an 80GB one) and it didn't really seem interesting to me from some of the early info that was coming out on the game. Wound up buying it the night before the 5 day access started, mainly out of boredom and figured what the hell I'll check it out.

Glad I did. I haven't enjoyed a new MMO this much in a few years. I've found  doing the PvE content interesting and PvP quite fun. My 2 main issues so far may be a non-issue to some.

1) Needs more inventory space, at least a larger bank. Just way too many materials if youre working on multiple crafts to hold in the tiny mount of space given AND be able to stock up on some consumables for later use along with being able to hang onto more than a few items that you may want for later.

2) Don't expect TES or Darkfall style archery with long range precision shots. 1st, it isn't actual FPS style aiming, just soft targeting allowing you to hit things if youre aiming in their general direction. 2nd, i feel that the archery range is also extremely short. The range of skills and even normal bow shots requires you getting so close to enemies that you can't really pull of any sneaky killing them before they can spot you type stuff. You're basically up in their face and very easily nailed by melees if you don't do a very good job of using some CC on them.

Overall though I think they did a very fine job of blending Elder Scrolls with some standard MMO fare. I was worried that the TES part was going to be irrelevant, but they actually pulled it off pretty well. If you enjoyed TES games and want to play them with some MMO features (group content, guilds, PvP, etc), you will likely enjoy the game.

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    I'm really enjoying it...running smooth...some bugs, but not broken.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817
    Originally posted by Naiper
    I am still pretty tempted but its bit of a bullshit thing if they make a sub game but lock the imperial to the special editions almost like microtransactions hidden in just a more pricey version.

Soooooo not even a factor i bought the imperial edition and i have 1 imperial character, and i use it now as a bank mule. 

In the end you need to just decide if you want to play the game or not. 

You will either get haters hating or fanbois fannin.

Lolipops !

• TalruneTalrune Member Posts: 339
    Ok naiper sent a reply back to you with info. hope that helps you make somewhat of a decision:P  cya in game.
  • JacxolopeJacxolope Member UncommonPosts: 1,140
    Originally posted by Traugar
    Originally posted by Arndush
    Originally posted by Aroukos

No. Check some streams before or if a friend got it already go to his house and play a bit.

I don't like it, some others do. Don't listen either of us. Check it on your own.

I love the game and I agree with him. Check it out for yourself.

These guys are spot on.  I love the game, and have recommended it to several of my friends but I know what types of games that they like.  For me, This is the most I have enjoyed a game since SWG.  I guess it's the class design, and the fact that I have never found an Elder Scrolls game I didn't enjoy.  

You guys are killing me with the whole "I love the game!" and "I finally found my mmo home"

Its too early for anyone to tell very much. Period. Playing for a week or so gives you little idea as to the long term "love" you will feel for this game. Every big release has had the same threads pop up, a ton of people are "in love with the new game" and "finally found THE ONE" and will be playing this forever.

I am not discounting that the game might be great- Sometime the hype will be deserved- I just havnt sen it yet.

I can think of almost no game I didnt have fun or high hopes for withing the first few days of playing- Okay, maybe a couple but generally speaking. This is the honeymoon phase. I HOPE you are right. But history says we have seen this all before with every big title to release ever.

• MMO-RelicMMO-Relic Member UncommonPosts: 81
    I think, despite expected bugs, so far it's been worth it. 

Acolytes Gaming (forums.acolytesgaming.com)

Sheep or Shepard- Make up your own damn mind.

It is true, the older you get, the less patience you have for those who watch a Youtube video and from that believe they know it all.

• NaiperNaiper Member Posts: 12

Haha cheers guys for your voice on this.

I couldn't care less about the exact way the game works as long as it is still fun and as Bigdaddyx said its more about if it is actually worth the money or not. I keep tracking a lot of games coming out and constantly look for a fun mmo but I am having difficulty finding it. Lot of games in general are just overhyped money grabs. (One of the reasons I refuse to buy EA games)

• ThornrageThornrage Member UncommonPosts: 659
    Originally posted by Thornrage

Is it that hard to come up with $60 and play for a free month? If you like it then keep playing, if not then you lost what ... 2 dollars a day?

If I am curious about a game, I will pay for it and play. I am not curious about Wildstar or FFXIXVIXIXV so I never paid for them.

I have spent money on a SP game that lasted only 20 hours and was please with it. To be sure a full month of game play is worth the price.

Its not to be honest but I have pre-ordered too many games withing last couple of years that absolutely suck :) So I try to stop supporting rubbish developers with their over-hyped products. Sometimes though I just can't resist so I came to ask you guys as you will tell me more honest opinion then "profesional" reviewers :D

To be honest, I can understand. I still go to the backroom and cry when I think about the time I bought the DCUO Collector's Edition. That was one of the worst games I ever played.

I can't answer your question because I can't be unbiased about the game. It is the best pvp I have played since SWG and I like the questing in this game. Most games I hate the questing because the quests are just plain dumb. For example:

"Bring 4 Chunks of Boar Meat to Auntie Bernice at Stonefield Farm."

I am currently lvl 16 and the quests are a lot more fun and engaging. Of course, I haven't been plowing through the quests like a race horse. I have listened to all the NPCs that I have had to talk to. I have enjoyed the game so far.

Are there bugs? Yes. The most annoying to me is the horse bug where I mount the horse and then immediately knocked off. But it doesn't happen all the time.

I wont tell you to get the game, I don't even tell my own friends to get games because we all have differrent tastes. But I am happy with my purchases and can see myself playing this game for a long time.

"I don't give a sh*t what other people say. I play what I like and I'll pay to do it too!" - SerialMMOist

• ThornrageThornrage Member UncommonPosts: 659
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

Is it that hard to come up with $60 and play for a free month? If you like it then keep playing, if not then you lost what ... 2 dollars a day?

If I am curious about a game, I will pay for it and play. I am not curious about Wildstar or FFXIXVIXIXV so I never paid for them.

I have spent money on a SP game that lasted only 20 hours and was please with it. To be sure a full month of game play is worth the price.

For some it is not about the actual cost but perceived value of that money i.e if a game is 'worth' it.

You make a valid point. 

"I don't give a sh*t what other people say. I play what I like and I'll pay to do it too!" - SerialMMOist

• Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    ckquote>Originally posted by Naiper

Haha cheers guys for your voice on this.I couldn't care less about the exact way the game works as long as it is still fun and as Bigdaddyx said its more about if it is actually worth the money or not. I keep tracking a lot of games coming out and constantly look for a fun mmo but I am having difficulty finding it. Lot of games in general are just overhyped money grabs. (One of the reasons I refuse to buy EA games)

Dont buy EA - you Sir have a backbone and my respect. I commend you. If only there were more like you.

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995

Its not to be honest but I have pre-ordered too many games withing last couple of years that absolutely suck :) So I try to stop supporting rubbish developers with their over-hyped products. Sometimes though I just can't resist so I came to ask you guys as you will tell me more honest opinion then "profesional" reviewers :D

Take the $60 you would have spent on ESO and buy a Pathfinder Core Rulebook and Advanced Player's Guide, then look into your local Pathfinder Society.  While I can't guarantee anything, I strongly suspect this will provide you with more fun.  Plus, you can always sell the books when you're done with them. ;)

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268
    Originally posted by Vannor
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ
    Originally posted by Vannor

EU is having none of the server and account issues that the US is having so don't base your decision on those problems.

I'm enjoying it.. dunno if you should buy it though, don't know you.

EU customer says hello:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/6268539

I have a 3 day headstart, and I cannot still log into the game.

Your facts are false bro.

So.. you've messed up your install and/or your computer is messed up? Everyone else is playing fine.

What's that got to do with comparing the EU to the US problems anyway? The US server is down and there's an account problem.. your messed up client is nothing to do with that. My facts are fine, you just can't understand them.

Again, you are false my friend.

Other people having the EXACT same problem:

http://www.tesoelite.com/forums/threads/passwords-incorrect.2253/

http://www.tesoelite.com/forums/threads/login-info-incorrect-anyone-else-having-this-issue.2476/

http://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/21kviw/login_information_was_incorrect/

http://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/21qsbi/i_cant_login_to_game_got_2_calls_from_eso_support/

You get the point. If not, then feel free to see several other threads with the same problem:

http://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/search?q=your+login+is+incorrect.+please+try+again&restrict_sr=on&sort=relevance&t=all

Good for you for not having problems. But try to understand that because you got a smooth headstart, doesnt mean that other people does - It is still a gamble that the OP has to consider, no matter how much it hurts your game's pride my friend.

I tried reinstall the game and do everything I could - without any luck.

Zenimax have said they know the issue and are working on it.

Stop being such a guardian fanboy please and accept not everyone has a smooth launch - headstart.

• JacxolopeJacxolope Member UncommonPosts: 1,140
    Originally posted by killion81

Take the $60 you would have spent on ESO and buy a Pathfinder Core Rulebook and Advanced Player's Guide, then look into your local Pathfinder Society.  While I can't guarantee anything, I strongly suspect this will provide you with more fun.  Plus, you can always sell the books when you're done with them. ;)

Best advice ever  =)

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

I'd go with someone's suggestion to wait six months.  By then people will have a better understanding of how they handle their game (frequent updates that just don't entail one dungeon?), how it was made and the "new MMO" feeling will wear off.  As it stands now, nobody can really say anything about End Game as Zenimax has been quiet about it; there is no raiding at present and people are already level 50 with VR8 or so.

I did not enjoy anything of what I played during their beta, though I only got a character to 25 and 18 respectively (changing up the faction and class to see if it changes my mind).  Though to be fair I may have had a bad attitude going in, as my friends said that I was constantly saying "This game is horrible," or "This has got to be the worst MMO in the last 16 years" over and over again.  There has to be a deep seeded bias to keep on saying that even if you constantly fall asleep with certain quests or the way some systems were designed or the mechanics involved.  Most of my friends agreed it wasn't for them save for a few -- the two who are now level 50 and high veteran ranks.  Though they're starting to get burned by it as well and keep doing the same things as I did whenever I talk to them and we mention the game.  Typical power leveling behavior on their part, but I guess you start to notice flaws that you haven't in the past when you repeat something over and over again in quick succession.

To be frank, there are much better games out there presently that have stood the test of time or are past the six month mark.  This game should be given a fair chance when people are able, but for most the $60 price tag matched with the monthly fee might be too pricey, especially if they are used to the single player version (that they likely got for sale) and typically aren't MMO gamers (don't like the idea of renting a game you buy).

There is a certain MMO instinct out there that most people have; people that have been with the genre since the days of Ultima Online typically predict if a game with be a smash hit and explode in population over the course of a few years or not.  They're usually correct 95% of the time simply because they know the genre and what the people want.  ESO is gambling on the IP and it's fanbase more than anything else right now.  Many MMO vets have already proclaimed it's doom to the current pool of MMO gamers -- but Zenimax, again is aiming for the Elder Scrolls players and even consoles (despite it only being next-gen only, which will again hurt sales).

With all that said, I've no doubt there are many long-term MMO gamers that love the IP and think this is a great game.  They may just be at a point where they're low levels and hit a portion of the game where it gets interesting.  It may be that they're truly in love with it.  Though time will tell with updates, as people are already clamoring for end game content that they say isn't there (aside from PvP).  Seems to me that we already went through this with Guild Wars 2 -- which was a great game during the leveling experience and a solid title for the price.  Though monthly fee games are held to a higher standard, unless of course they are cash grabs that want box prices initial monthly fees and then do the switch to F2P to boost even more profits.  This is typical of unknown IPs to remake investments, or greedy corporate decisions.

It would be my opinion to -- at the very least -- wait until more is known about their plans for end game.  There is a lot of buyer's remorse going on right now, and Zenimax tempted a lot of people with their pre-order bonus of giving people what they wanted in having any race with any faction (minus Imperials, which is behind another pay wall).  It's also likely that the game will be much cheaper as time goes on.

Tips on if you get the game:  Play a magic user or a bowman.  Hearing a lot of complaints at how bad melee feels and healers are a pain to level.  Ask around for factions as well, as I recall there being a really boring area for one of them.  Though I don't recall off the top of my head which one it was.  I believe it was the Skyrim area.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • CthulhuPuffsCthulhuPuffs Member UncommonPosts: 368
    I wouldnt

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

• ArndushArndush Member Posts: 303
    Originally posted by Digna
    Originally posted by Righteous_Rock
    I am still pretty tempted but its bit of a bullshit thing if they make a sub game but lock the imperial to the special editions almost like microtransactions hidden in just a more pricey version.

Well then this is one of those points in your life where you decide if you want to take a stand or just conform.

Which is which? Buy = stand? Conform = buy? I R Cunfuzed

I guess that depends on your point-of-view.

Originally posted by Jacxolope
    Originally posted by killion81

Best advice ever  =)

Not if he has agoraphobia and can't leave his house.

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

No one linked my vid yet? Saves a lot of typing.

http://youtu.be/vgfp87eUprc

There you go.

• makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096
    No dont by it, they have no way to stop the gold spammers. The gold spammers get free access to your account, also. 
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    I personally think no. It s one of the worst MMOs in a long time iMO.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Originally posted by Soki123

How so?

explain

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Originally posted by laserit

How so?

explain

Combat and animations alone make me not want to play it, it made my eyes bleed. The AVA tried to be like DAOC, and was an abomination IMO. The ESO universe IMO, was not well represented, outside of the HUD etc. I personally hate the idea of an MMO ESO, co op parts sure, but as an MMO, nope not me. There are more reasons, but I really didn t like this game at all.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Originally posted by laserit

How so?

explain

Combat and animations alone make me not want to play it, it made my eyes bleed. The AVA tried to be like DAOC, and was an abomination IMO. The ESO universe IMO, was not well represented, outside of the HUD etc. I personally hate the idea of an MMO ESO, co op parts sure, but as an MMO, nope not me. There are more reasons, but I really didn t like this game at all.

fair enough

Combat has never been a strong suit in any of the ES games.

I'm enjoying it for what it is, I've always had a soft spot for RPG's.

I'd think I'd call it an RPGMMO  image

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950

I am very sceptical towards this game however I am kinda bored with lack of other games that would currently interest me.So I ask one question. Should I buy it?

I'd say yes, but that's me. I was bored as fuck of other fantasy MMOs but this one is sticking with me. Whether it's the combat or freedom in progressing your character, it doesn't feel like all the other hotbar mmos from the last decade which I've grown bored with.
  • west715west715 Member UncommonPosts: 11
    Combat in this game is so slow.........it was then I played beta It looks good thou but it all seems abit slow.