Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Glad I didn't purchase the Expansion

Comments

• handlewithcarehandlewithcare Member Posts: 322

I am happy its great fun and ill keep it on my pc,keeping my busy till ESO.

cant wait for D4 hope its not years and years.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Entris38
    I think the expansion is great. It's kind of nice to have kind of a backstory, and it does, and it's weak, and I'm not sure I care about the story that much. I play to slaughter things and try builds, and just to enjoy the mindless killing. I also play a lot with a couple friends. We still have D2 on our comps and play that here and there, mostly D3 since it came out. I'm sure it will be a mainstay on my comp, it's pretty fun just to see how far we can push things.

It is a great "comfort game". If you want to play seriously, you can all get into "farm that mat" mode.

Or .. you can jump in any time and do the bounties for one Act .. or a rift ... to kill 20 min. Fun gameplay, great combat, convenient set up ... it is the game to be on my computer for ages.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223
    Originally posted by Alumicard

The bad items just turned me away. The items are just plain boring even with the remade loot. Yellows can roll 4 primary and 2 secondary stats. Legendarys might be nice but yeah so I got a wand that does the same thing as a rune, great. Why not make a secondary rune system instead of a boring leg?

There are also set items. I like searching for recipes since that gives me the chance to try to roll a fantastic item. The enchanter allows you to swap out properties you don't like or you can use her to tweek your gear for your build. I would say that one large aspect of play now is finding crafting materials too.

The main reason I dont buy RoS is that all you hunt for are legendarys and gems. That is it. No runes that can be used to create rune words, no need to farm a white item to use the runeword on, no juwels, no charms .... just some boring gems that have more of the same stats you get on every other item.

Nope, you hunt for other stuff as well, as explained above. I agree, it would have been nice to have runewords, but charms they can keep out of D3 imo. I did not like having a bag full of charms. Took up too much inventory space.

There just isnt something like, I farm x to build y to get z. Where z is a unique ability not found on anything else. True, there is the ring but wow, 1 item! IF they added a whole system like this then the game might have been good. But like this imo it is the same as the basic D3: boring.

There are also legendary recipes that allow you to craft legendaries with unique-to-them properties. For example, I crafted a crusador shield that has a chance to proc a bone shield.

People just dont want much and are way too easily pleased nowadays. I mean come on... they added a GEM woohuu! Blizz is the greatest. Another act, holy cow, Blizz you are the one and only. A mode to teleport everywhere which was basic in D2, hell if I could only meet the genius who had thought of this original and unique idea, you did it again Blizz!!! Maps-system without modifiers like all other arpgs seem to have these days**, sry I ment to say Rifts... such a wonderfull thing!

**edit: the other arpgs do have modifiers like increases mobs, drops, xp and what not.

You do that by choosing your difficulty mode at the start of play. Want more mobs with more hps and do more damage? Then increase difficulty. It also increases your xp and the chance to drop shards.

And at the people who say "noone cares about the story anyway" if that is true then all you do want is a generic, mindless game with hordes of stuff to kill and ~10 stats to stack. Sure you want to farm but I'd rather farm in a game world that has a reason to exist than a game without any story or worse, a bad one.

I honestly can't think of an ARPG that has a fantastic story that is not trite and done a hundred times. PoE was the closest to being somewhat different but to me it was still pretty boring. If I want good stories I play an MMORPG that has an evolved lore, not an ARPG. And in comparison to other ARPGs, D3's is pretty much on par.

Just so much wasted potential

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• I prefer the way they handled story in the previous games. While it wasn't particularly well-written, it was less intrusive whereas in Diablo 3 I find it interrupts the flow of gameplay with the contstant area changes and cutscenes. I noticed they added a cutscene toggle so will hopefully enjoy use of that feature once I've completed Act 5.

Originally posted by Axxar

I prefer the way they handled story in the previous games. While it wasn't particularly well-written, it was less intrusive whereas in Diablo 3 I find it interrupts the flow of gameplay with the contstant area changes and cutscenes. I noticed they added a cutscene toggle so will hopefully enjoy use of that feature once I've completed Act 5.

when you get to "end game", and play adventure mode + rift, there is no more cutscene .. they even remove the in-game little cutscene before boss fights.

• ElapsedElapsed Member UncommonPosts: 2,329

I have mixed feelings about the expansion. When you simplify it (1 new class, 1 new mode, and 1 new act), it doesn't sound like it's worth $40. However, the new act is impressive except for the lack of CGI. Every area is unique, they didn't reuse many monsters. Adventure mode is also great.

It's a shame it took so long to add adventure mode and remove the auction house. The game would have been a lot more successful if it happened before the original launch.

Originally posted by Elapsed

I have mixed feelings about the expansion. When you simplify it (1 new class, 1 new mode, and 1 new act), it doesn't sound like it's worth $40. However, the new act is impressive except for the lack of CGI. Every area is unique, they didn't reuse many monsters. Adventure mode is also great.

Because you don't count the amount of fun hours just for adventure mode + rift (you miss the rift, which is the best part of the game).

I have already play RoS way more than any other single player game, and i will say $40 is a steal. I haven't even level up all the classes to 70 (just my main).

• gonewildgonewild Member UncommonPosts: 136
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989

Yep, I just spent the last 3 hours watching the full play-through on Youtube. I have to say, they did a great job~ the story is one for the books! Yep, that's right... it definitely sucks. The story is incredibly predictable, the ending is extremely anti-climatic and there's just not enough for me to justify putting $39.99 towards an already failed (in my perspective) release. I honestly don't know what'll become of this franchise. I really did hope for the best but I just don't see it with RoS.

What are you opinions? Have you played through it or seen all of it?

There were some significant improvements.

I enjoyed playing it but it's far from complete.

In my opinion it will need 4 or more expansions to become a game.

• AzzrasAzzras Member UncommonPosts: 407

Yep, I just spent the last 3 hours watching the full play-through on Youtube. I have to say, they did a great job~ the story is one for the books! Yep, that's right... it definitely sucks. The story is incredibly predictable, the ending is extremely anti-climatic and there's just not enough for me to justify putting $39.99 towards an already failed (in my perspective) release. I honestly don't know what'll become of this franchise. I really did hope for the best but I just don't see it with RoS.

You really spent 3 HOURS watching SOMEONE ELSE PLAY a game that you didn't like?

I...don't....know....what.....to....say....except......LOL

This made me laugh!  It was much needed, thank you!

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    I did not purchase the expansion either.  I was considering it, but after what I heard from my friends and my clan, I am glad I did not.  They all told me it was good and except for one person, they all told me it wasn't worth $40.  I will get it down the road when it hits $20 or lower.   I am in no rush to play it.
  • sportsfansportsfan Member Posts: 431
    Originally posted by sumdumguy1
    I did not purchase the expansion either.  I was considering it, but after what I heard from my friends and my clan, I am glad I did not.  They all told me it was good and except for one person, they all told me it wasn't worth $40.  I will get it down the road when it hits $20 or lower.   I am in no rush to play it.

"They all told me it was good ..." But the price is too high at ... 40 dollars.

If saving 20 dollars is your main goal in Life, I pity your partner already...

Better stay in bed then as the average breakfast costs 4 dollars already . Roll eyes ....

• Sk1ppeRSk1ppeR Member Posts: 511

Gief linkz! I want to see the story too /o/ I'm not sarcastic here /o/ I don't want to play, I just want to see the story xD 

Originally posted by sportsfan
    Originally posted by sumdumguy1

"They all told me it was good ..." But the price is too high at ... 40 dollars.

If saving 20 dollars is your main goal in Life, I pity your partner already...

Better stay in bed then as the average breakfast costs 4 dollars already . Roll eyes ....

Yeah ... $20 is very little money nowadays.

$20 is less than what you pay for a good steak.

$20 is less than what you pay for a good bottle of wine.

$20 is less than half of what i will spend on tickets (me & 2 kids) for Cap Am 2 on Friday.

... although $20 is quite a few $1.99 iOS games though .....

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868

Diablo has never been about the story and if you are playing it just for the story then you are right; it does suck. But, like most people, they are not playing it for the story..they are playing it for the constant progression / loot finding. That is what Diablo is all about. For those people the game is a pretty big hit. Myself included.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Suffers all the same problems D2 did, repetitive play, boring end game, terrible story. The combat is better though so for me it lasted longer than D2.

Originally posted by Ender4

Suffers all the same problems D2 did, repetitive play, boring end game, terrible story. The combat is better though so for me it lasted longer than D2.

While pretty much all you said is subjective and it sounds like you just don't really like ARPGs, I do agree about the combat being better then D2. People love to forget that. 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • RedcorRedcor Member Posts: 426
    I agree with OP on this one. I am salty enough about the dlc craze milking us all for a bit more money each year but these guys are charging us 40 for a "fixed" version of the game we already paid for. I have tons of $$ to spend on games but I am passing this up on principal. I may have paid 19.95 but that's it.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can
    be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
    -Robert E. Howard

Originally posted by Celcius

While pretty much all you said is subjective and it sounds like you just don't really like ARPGs, I do agree about the combat being better then D2. People love to forget that. 

That's subjective ;) I like the combat in D2 and I like the combat in D3 just as much.

Never said it was not subjective. I was just saying that I agree with his opinion about combat in Diablo 3 being better then Diablo 2. 

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571
    D3 is good. RoS is great but too expensive. I prefer to buy with the same amount of money a whole new game (i m going for Wildstar) than an expansion.

That's subjective ;) I like the combat in D2 and I like the combat in D3 just as much.

Never said it was not subjective. I was just saying that I agree with his opinion about combat in Diablo 3 being better then Diablo 2. 

I also think the combat is better in D3 .. in fact, D3 combat is better (to me, since it is subjective) than all MMOs, and ARPGs.

• LugorsLugors Member UncommonPosts: 184

Best $40 spent in awhile.  I've logged more time in D3 than any other game this year.  With the lack of worthwhile titles coming out, this will be the bulk of my gaming time for the foreseeable future.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Need to expand the acts or something since the expansion takes 3 hours to finish. As far as actual gameplay is concern it's as Diablo as you're going to get. Rifts and adventure mode are a better alternative then playing through the story for the literal 1000th time.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• Sunnyguy46Sunnyguy46 Member UncommonPosts: 91
    Originally posted by emperorwings
    Need to expand the acts or something since the expansion takes 3 hours to finish. As far as actual gameplay is concern it's as Diablo as you're going to get. Rifts and adventure mode are a better alternative then playing through the story for the literal 1000th time.

How did you finish Act V in 3 hours? My brother was on it for days.

He was playing solo, so maybe it's just faster with groups?

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Same....must explore every corner.