Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars Galaxies: 'Spiritual Successor' in a Modern Setting?

Comments

• darkehawkedarkehawke Member Posts: 178
    zombies are star warsy and iconic?

Currently playing- SWG PreCU & GW 2
    Have tried WoW, AoC, & Vanguard, SWG:NGE, GW, LOTRO & SWTOR
    Best MMO: SWG
    Worst MMO: SWTOR

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

I see this Picture and think Zombie - question now: Who?

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by darkehawke

According to Smed and the SOE crowd, yes.... they put that crap in the SWG NGE and that is not even joking.

• WalterWhiteWalterWhite Member UncommonPosts: 411
    I learned a long time ago never to believe a word that comes from Smedley.
  • CandyLordCandyLord Member UncommonPosts: 1

I think it could be a vampire based game, no zombies IMO, UnderWorld theme?

• ZieglerZiegler Member Posts: 159
    Originally posted by ste2000

I just have to laugh at the sign above the screen................ that sums up $oE quite well

They can't even take a photo without making a gaffe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zgja26eNeY

So you know the actual poster in the back ground.

• TheMaahesTheMaahes Member Posts: 185
    Originally posted by CandyLord

I think it could be a vampire based game, no zombies IMO, UnderWorld theme?

Just wait for World of Darkness.

• darkehawkedarkehawke Member Posts: 178
    Originally posted by Burntvet
    Originally posted by darkehawke

According to Smed and the SOE crowd, yes.... they put that crap in the SWG NGE and that is not even joking.

haha the dathomir plague, how could i forget

Currently playing- SWG PreCU & GW 2
    Have tried WoW, AoC, & Vanguard, SWG:NGE, GW, LOTRO & SWTOR
    Best MMO: SWG
    Worst MMO: SWTOR

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Smed is a huge fan of the show Revolution and the game Rust. Thats what this is. Post-apoc sandbox. 
  • Boba_FettishBoba_Fettish Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by bbethel

If its not SWG 2 then I don't care what crap they say or how nice they seem to be to us. What the hell is a church doing in a game that is supposed to be for SWG fans. 

Like some people have brought up Zombies. If this is a joke then I will laugh.

But right now I dont want to play a Crappy Zombie game or any other game.

If SOE is building a home for SWG players then it needs to Be SWG  (I don't care if its NGE or not) with a new engine or SWG 2 (to go along with the new movies). 

I will not settle for anything less if SOE wants my money. 

But at the most what ever MMo SOE has planed for SWG players It needs to be in space and not on earth or F'n Zombies.  

I'm not so much worried about the actual SWG universe. It's about game style, game play, professions, multiple worlds to explore, vehicles, diversity in races, crafting, the elements and community that made SWG what it was.

I just don't see however, how a crappy zombie game, in a modern day setting will lure SWG fans.

Smedhead says that "SWG players can come home now", but to what..?

A SWG fan who want's to bring back their old Creature handler is going to tame what..? Bunnies and other regular animals that you'll find in a modern earth setting. None of the big-ass Kimo's or Rancors they loved or anything as close.

What will a old SWG Bounty Hunter chase down? Rednecks and hillbillies who skip their bar tabs in the local survivor settlement.

I would bet that 90% of the old SWG professions wouldn't even make into this game, or anything remotely similar. There's 80% of the original SWG player base "not coming home", already..lol

I won't even go into races, travel system or crafting, but I'm pretty sure the places to visit, the methods of getting there and the items to craft, while using the basic SWG style, will make very few SWG vets feel like they have returned home.

Thsnks Smed, but I'll stick to SWGEMU....lol

• Minion552Minion552 Member Posts: 67

And to those who keep saying EA has all the rights to Star wars games I am not sure what crack your smoking but Disney owns the rights to all Star wars now Lucas arts is now Disney interactive 

And as far as SWG goes Disney bought the trademark and the license for it with a 10 year Live renewal meaning they plan on using SWG as something maybe a stand alone console game or re making SWG as an MMO. But why would Disney buy a Trademark that costed them 2.1 million Dollars to renew if they were just going to sit on it. Would be cheaper to buy the trademark and mark it as a dead trademark thus the license is good for 20 years. SOE is not remaking SWG but making a sand box game that Smed thinks will draw the old SWG refuges to it. If anyone of you know how much he really hated the SWG fans you would know he loves rubbing salt on the wounds. but it really is not up to SOE,EA,Turbine ect Disney if they want to make SWG again they can.

Disney now owns SWG trademark http://i.imgur.com/1MgrqIj.png 

• Fenrir767Fenrir767 Member Posts: 595
    Originally posted by Minion552

And to those who keep saying EA has all the rights to Star wars games I am not sure what crack your smoking but Disney owns the rights to all Star wars now Lucas arts is now Disney interactive 

And as far as SWG goes Disney bought the trademark and the license for it with a 10 year Live renewal meaning they plan on using SWG as something maybe a stand alone console game or re making SWG as an MMO. But why would Disney buy a Trademark that costed them 2.1 million Dollars to renew if they were just going to sit on it. Would be cheaper to buy the trademark and mark it as a dead trademark thus the license is good for 20 years. SOE is not remaking SWG but making a sand box game that Smed thinks will draw the old SWG refuges to it. If anyone of you know how much he really hated the SWG fans you would know he loves rubbing salt on the wounds. but it really is not up to SOE,EA,Turbine ect Disney if they want to make SWG again they can.

Disney now owns SWG trademark http://i.imgur.com/1MgrqIj.png 

Look it up online Disney has sold the licensing rights for all Star Wars Games to Electronic Arts for the next 10 years meaning that EA can make whatever games they want.

Disney has kept the rights for mobile games and online browser based games but when it comes to anything for consoles and PCs EA has full control until 2023.

• TbauTbau Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 401
    Originally posted by Boba_Fettish

I'm not so much worried about the actual SWG universe. It's about game style, game play, professions, multiple worlds to explore, vehicles, diversity in races, crafting, the elements and community that made SWG what it was.

I just don't see however, how a crappy zombie game, in a modern day setting will lure SWG fans.

Smedhead says that "SWG players can come home now", but to what..?

A SWG fan who want's to bring back their old Creature handler is going to tame what..? Bunnies and other regular animals that you'll find in a modern earth setting. None of the big-ass Kimo's or Rancors they loved or anything as close.

What will a old SWG Bounty Hunter chase down? Rednecks and hillbillies who skip their bar tabs in the local survivor settlement.

I would bet that 90% of the old SWG professions wouldn't even make into this game, or anything remotely similar. There's 80% of the original SWG player base "not coming home", already..lol

I won't even go into races, travel system or crafting, but I'm pretty sure the places to visit, the methods of getting there and the items to craft, while using the basic SWG style, will make very few SWG vets feel like they have returned home.

Thsnks Smed, but I'll stick to SWGEMU....lol

First of all we have no idea if its a "Zombie" game. Second of all, you do know that a modern world could be taken over by aliens providing a modern sci-fi setting right?!?

As for the Creature Handler comment, I loved how you mention "bunnies" instead of "lions, panthers, bears or rhinos" something far more interesting and would provide realism in a way no other MMO has provided before (not to mention possible alien mutations from the invasion).

How about them Bounty Hunters, hunting down human raiders, cannibals and pirates on the seas. The fact you keep turning to ridiculous comments proves you really don't have much to say here.

I would bet that you just made up some numbers because you forgot that SWG was great because of the community using the tools the game gave them and it had little to do with the setting itself which provided just the basics of Star Wars and none of the depth.

If SWGEMU is so great why are you here posting on something you and the rest of us know nothing about.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

SWG spiritual successor?  As in, constant rubberbanding, 20 MPH "speeders", and toons that can't jump? 

I kid, SWG fans, I kid... image

All of this presupposes that the majority of SWG (escpecially pre-NGE) veterans would ever give Smed/SOE 10 cents for anything.

Which I contend wouldn't happen.

• TbauTbau Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 401

All of this presupposes that the majority of SWG (escpecially pre-NGE) veterans would ever give Smed/SOE 10 cents for anything.

Looking at how many of them played EQ2, I would say they would if it has enough of SWGs gameplay. The setting was secondary to community and gameplay.

Originally posted by Tbau

Looking at how many of them played EQ2, I would say they would if it has enough of SWGs gameplay. The setting was secondary to community and gameplay.

Among the 50 or so people I personally know that were SWG players back in the day, not one has played any SOE MMO since the SWG fiasco (beyond a free vet trial).

Many/most are off MMOs altogether.

Might not be typical, but I don't think it is that unusual, either.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043
    Originally posted by tawess
    Yupp.. Zombie game it is.

Looking that way.

Crafting, gathering and progression mechanics are what made SWG. Theme was secondary.

I will wait and see.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    where are the space ships
  • BlackWatchBlackWatch Member UncommonPosts: 972

Among the 50 or so people I personally know that were SWG players back in the day, not one has played any SOE MMO since the SWG fiasco (beyond a free vet trial).

Honestly, I hate Smed.  I hate SOE.  

Hate.

I know there were others involved in the downfall of SWG and all of the horrific changes and lack of fixes to the game, but he's the face and name most frequently associated with it.

Sony/SOE... for allowing the absolute abuse of one of the most powerful IPs ever.... shame, shame, shame.

• dotdotdashdotdotdash Member UncommonPosts: 488

Originally posted by BlackWatch
    Originally posted by Burntvet Originally posted by Tbau Originally posted by Burntvet All of this presupposes that the majority of SWG (escpecially pre-NGE) veterans would ever give Smed/SOE 10 cents for anything. Which I contend wouldn't happen.
    Among the 50 or so people I personally know that were SWG players back in the day, not one has played any SOE MMO since the SWG fiasco (beyond a free vet trial). Many/most are off MMOs altogether. Might not be typical, but I don't think it is that unusual, either.  

Hate.

I know there were others involved in the downfall of SWG and all of the horrific changes and lack of fixes to the game, but he's the face and name most frequently associated with it.

Sony/SOE... for allowing the absolute abuse of one of the most powerful IPs ever.... shame, shame, shame.

What always baffles me about you old timers and your recollection of what happened to SWG is that what happened in reality and what happened in your minds are two very different things. Must be old age.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043
    Originally posted by dotdotdash

What always baffles me about you old timers and your recollection of what happened to SWG is that what happened in reality and what happened in your minds are two very different things. Must be old age.

Feel free to lump everyone in to a nice little basket - exclude yourself of course- and make wide, sweeping accusations.

SWG, SWG/CU, SWG/NGE and just prior to the transfers they pushed multiple expansions in to the game, in months what would have been years of development.

They also lost 90% of their subscriptions in a few months and never got them back.

People screamed, people begged for a classic server. They got ignored.

But if you feel better looking down on other people, don't let me stop you.

• dotdotdashdotdotdash Member UncommonPosts: 488

Originally posted by free2play
    SWG, SWG/CU, SWG/NGE and just prior to the transfers they pushed multiple expansions in to the game, in months what would have been years of development.

They also lost 90% of their subscriptions in a few months and never got them back.

People screamed, people begged for a classic server. They got ignored.

But if you feel better looking down on other people, don't let me stop you.

I'm going to largely ignore your initial statement because it was pointless. I will simply say that observable stereotypes exist as generalisations for a reason, and whilst you may not agree with them they tend to offer some accuracy worth considering.

CU and NGE were designed as a response to specific criticisms from players leaving the game, something that was happening long before they came out, and were also designed to allow the game to compete with World of Warcraft. The truth is that SWG was designed to be a mass market title, a genre king (like World of Warcraft); it always failed to live up to those expectation.

Whilst you may not agree with what they did to the game in an attempt to rescue it, it was a fairly reasonable response to the problem at hand relative to the targets the developers had. CU was a poor attempt, and NGE only made things worse, but SWG did not have a "golden age" as far as the finances are concerned, and it failed to deliver from day 1. The game was on a path to oblivion before CU or NGE came out, and whilst the two prolific content updates arguably made things worse, things weren't great to begin with. SWG may have been a critical success on release, but it was never the commercial success it was expected to be, even with the "Star Wars" brand name attached to it.

Mistakes were made. Smedley even went so far as to explicitly highlight, take responsibility and apologise for those mistakes. That's a fairly bold and brave thing to do, and worth a lot of kudos imho. He has also been frank about WHY those mistakes were made; SWG was on a life line practically from day 1.

And talk is cheap, even more so from a professional liar like Smed.

Actions are what count, not empty promises.

Had Smed been "sorry" about the NGE and that, he could have opened up a classic server as a way to "make it right" , even one would have shown something, but he didn't do that. (And the game did not close that long ago, he had plenty of chances.)

So nothing Smed says now makes any difference, then or now.

The only thing he is sorry about, is that SOE has a crap reputation, and  that has cost SOE a whole lot of money.

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823
    Originally posted by BlackWatch

Hate.

It'll be a long time before Sony can ever touch the Stars Wars franchise. The evil empire EA with the blessing of Disney has absconded with the rights for the future years to come. So, no worries there.