Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There will never be another GW2

124»

Comments

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by Whitebeards
    Originally posted by Droosteel
    *snip*
    Must be my imagination that kicked in when i played with 100+ people for 6+ hours on sat/sun.

Trinity is dumbest form of combat ever done. If you want dumb combat, theres certainly not lack of games for you (yes, PvE is dumb in every MMO without exception)

Saying you dont like it i understand but dumb? image

When you think about tank pulling agro, boss hitting tank, healers healing tank and dps'ers slowy managing to kill the dumb as f*ck superpowerful boss, then really that's just dumb.

If the bosses had an ounce of brains in that big heads of theirs, they'd go after healers, dps and last of all the tanks and the fight would be over before it even started.

The trinity is a crutch, and a pretty bad one at that.

imageimage
  • rastapastorrastapastor Member UncommonPosts: 188

I despise people who thinks that MMO should be a second job, and u have to grind ur ass through the content to achieve some +20 e-penis item. I just want to log in, have some fun, log out. After work im tired enough (im a software developer i work 10 hours or more every day) and i dont want to waste time to get some fun.

GW2 is a perfect solution for ppl like me, u can just jump in, do some dungs or pvp with the guild, have some brain relax after whole day of fixing bugs and implementing new stuff, when u have to think hard :).

Also i despise ppl who thought that GW2 would be a second Jesus coming of MMO. Those who hype themselfs too much are stupid, if they can't distinct pr crap talk, its their fault. Instead crying on forums, they should take a long running start and hit hard the wall with their heads for repentance :)

• vahmosevahmose Member Posts: 8
    Originally posted by rastapastor

I despise people who thinks that MMO should be a second job, and u have to grind ur ass through the content to achieve some +20 e-penis item. I just want to log in, have some fun, log out. After work im tired enough (im a software developer i work 10 hours or more every day) and i dont want to waste time to get some fun.

GW2 is a perfect solution for ppl like me, u can just jump in, do some dungs or pvp with the guild, have some brain relax after whole day of fixing bugs and implementing new stuff, when u have to think hard :).

Also i despise ppl who thought that GW2 would be a second Jesus coming of MMO. Those who hype themselfs too much are stupid, if they can't distinct pr crap talk, its their fault. Instead crying on forums, they should take a long running start and hit hard the wall with their heads for repentance :)

Agreed. I'm guilty of overhyping myself for GW2, and the spark burned out pretty quickly for me. But the game is definitely pulling me back in. The little time I do have for gaming has been spent in GW2 lately.

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519

Other then value for your money GW2 has little else going for it.

They replaced the trinity with dps/dps/dps.

Quests replaced with well.....quests that look like hearts.

The pvp is way too random and chaotic.

The PvE is 95% solo with the illusion of cooperation.

Instances are all poorly done.

Non existent character progression gives you a feeling of pointlessless every time you log on.

Extremely boring leveling where everything levels with you defeating the purpose of levels altogether.

Most weapon combinations are useless, half the short list of classes aren't pvp viable.

Lastly the game simply doesn't appeal to many hardcore crowds. Hardcore raiders, pvpers and groupers have no business playing GW2 due to lack of rewards and/or general incentive.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    There's a difference between a poor quality game that does not appeal and a high quality game that does not appeal because it does not suit a style of player.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273

Guild Wars 2 was certainly an interesting game for me, though, ultimately, I found it hollow and stale.

But it's for sure that the team behind it has talent and passion, they just don't seem to understand the genre very well. It's like they wanted to remove much of what actually makes it work.

I can respect them not wanting it to be a grind and to do something different, but they failed to understand that part of the genre is perspective and you have to give people goals and rewards that go beyond the superficial.

I think the worst part of the game was the lore and the story delivery. It's among the worst I've ever seen - and that includes F2P titles.

Beyond that, they took away the trinity and replaced it with nothing. Sure, the trinity is worn - but it worked. If you take away something that works, you have to replace it with something that works - preferably better. They just took it away, really.

Then they went and made character progression trivial and pretty much non-existent after level 30. That made for a very dull leveling experience, to me anyway.

I've always despised PvP set up like a 100% even sports match - and that's exactly what WvWvW turned out to be. The small scale PvP was even worse - and again, they messed up progression completely.

The zergy nature of everything group related was a big, big mistake - and they simply went too far with the streamlining. Again, you have to give people something to work for - and it does NOT have to be grindy or boring. But you can't just give everything on a silver platter - as it will make attaining it have no meaning.

That said, there WERE lots of strong aspects to the game.

The feel of combat was extremely fluid - and the character animations were great. The world was vibrant and felt alive - even if I found variation in terrain and aesthetics lacking.

The cities were AMAZING - and probably the most beautiful cities I've ever seen in an MMO.

Technically, it really was a masterpiece - and I will always be impressed by their "live patching" process and stuff like that. The overflow servers was also a neat feature.

The dynamic scaling of everything to make it relevant at all levels was also a great idea, though I found it too artificial and it didn't exactly help my immersion when everything jumped up and down in level before my eyes. But it was a smart way to extend life of the content.

As for the pricing model, I'm not at all convinced that was a good idea. I mean, I've been SEVERELY underwhelmed by the free content - and I'd much rather pay a subscription and have significant content delivered. I'd also LARGELY prefer expansions over that living story crap - which was just awful in my opinion.

If the game had been a smash - we'd know about it. There's no way it's a huge success and they're not advertising that all over the place.

If I take that and combine it with the underwhelming way it's evolved over the months - I have to say I think it's, at best, a modest success.

Is that worth the B2P model? Not to me, it's not.

I can only hope all those dozens and dozens of people who worked so hard on the game are happy with their pricing model - and the amount of people who play the game.

I gave it a decent chance - probably between 200-300 hours - but it's just not for me, and I've given up on it entirely.

• gelraengelraen Member UncommonPosts: 316
    Originally posted by JimmyYO

Non existent character progression gives you a feeling of pointlessless every time you log on.

Extremely boring leveling where everything levels with you defeating the purpose of levels altogether.

Most weapon combinations are useless, half the short list of classes aren't pvp viable.

Lastly the game simply doesn't appeal to many hardcore crowds. Hardcore raiders, pvpers and groupers have no business playing GW2 due to lack of rewards and/or general incentive.

Ok.  This is just a weird post, and smells of someone who hasn't really invested any time in the game.  I would strongly disagree on pretty well every point.  

I've also moved on from GW2, but primarily because I feel the living story isn't doing it for me, and that seems to be their focus now.   It's not a perfect game, but your points up there are just false.

• DroosteelDroosteel Member Posts: 138
    Originally posted by gelraen
    Originally posted by JimmyYO

Ok.  This is just a weird post, and smells of someone who hasn't really invested any time in the game.  I would strongly disagree on pretty well every point.  

I've also moved on from GW2, but primarily because I feel the living story isn't doing it for me, and that seems to be their focus now.   It's not a perfect game, but your points up there are just false.

Yah, when you read posts of many of these people you cant come to another conclusion that they didnt actually touch the game and still seem to hold a right to comment on it.

But its pretty transparent to anyone who played the game for more than one hour that its pretty much BS ;)

In reality, playing betas for ESO and WS just made me long for GW2 (i did take a break from it). Yes, WS may have better raids and ESO may have better story, but those are just small pieces of the whole, as a whole GW2 is well and beyond better than both of them combined. AND its B2P while both of those ask for box+sub+even a cash shop (its pretty clear both have cash shop infrasctruture in place and its only matter of time when its activated)