Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] ArcheAge: This Week's AA News Round Up

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

A bit over a week ago GDC kicked off and with it came more ArcheAge news from Trion Worlds. More specifically, Producer Victoria Voss, Community Manager Evan Berman, and CEO Scott Hartsman were on the scene! If you haven't been following our column on ArcheAge, Bill Murphy's preview provides an informative overview on AA. Whereas Som Pourfarzaneh's preview gives a closer look to the sandbox side of the game.

Read more of Jeffrey Lerman's ArcheAge: This Week's AA News Round Up.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• OtakunOtakun Member UncommonPosts: 874
    In short, still no game anytime soon, move on. 
  • JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249

As long Russia servers let me continue to play, my wait its easier now. But i hope release is still on 2014 at least ...

• Cramit845Cramit845 Member UncommonPosts: 395
    I was all about this game and then it seemed to get to themeparkish for me.  I will take another look at it when closer to release but until then.... whatever..
  • drtack1drtack1 Member UncommonPosts: 273
    I am personally excited for AA!
  • Chuffed1Chuffed1 Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Originally posted by Cramit845
    I was all about this game and then it seemed to get to themeparkish for me.  I will take another look at it when closer to release but until then.... whatever..

It is only themepark like when you level your character by doing quests, once that is done its all up to the players to make it what it is. The focus is interacting with the world and people (players) in it, not big boss mobs for raid loot. 

I would recommend actually trying the game before writing it off due to supposed knowledge gained from other people and not first hand experience.

• ReaperJodaReaperJoda Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Ya the lack of REAL information still is surprising.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by Chuffed1

It is only themepark like when you level your character by doing quests, once that is done its all up to the players to make it what it is. The focus is interacting with the world and people (players) in it, not big boss mobs for raid loot. 

I would recommend actually trying the game before writing it off due to supposed knowledge gained from other people and not first hand experience.

My biggest issues (and yes it's "my issue") is that besides the all over the place art design (not a game breaker) this game allows players to create their own content and even anachronistic content.

Is this ability still in the game? Or is it just for the east?

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by Chuffed1

My biggest issues (and yes it's "my issue") is that besides the all over the place art design (not a game breaker) this game allows players to create their own content and even anachronistic content.

Is this ability still in the game? Or is it just for the east?

So far its still in the game. And anyone who has questions just join the official forums the devs are there alot and answer alot of questions.

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• adderVXIadderVXI Member UncommonPosts: 727
    I think all the news we care about at this point is when is beta or launch...  When can we play?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    As it;s f2p I will give it a go. If I like it I will then invest time and money into it.
  • cylon8cylon8 Member UncommonPosts: 362
    excellent game sub or not  hands down one of the best mmos made

so say we all

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

As long as a publisher / dev doesn't double-dip against subscribers, then a P2P / F2P hybrid payment plan is promising.  Hopefully it works out for Japan (not sure who their pub is).

It's like getting an unlimited free trial, with the option to subscribe to become competitive and relevant, to maximize enjoyability.  Kind of a win / win, since for some odd reason even games just coming out don't have any free trials.  /boggle

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249

Loving my experience in Russia.

Its a really nice mix with themepark and some sandbox elements.

My concern about the future is (NA/EU release and future patchs) which side they going to strech: the themepark or the sandbox elements?

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    I'm going to give it a try because it's f2p, but otherwise my interest in the game has waned and I wouldn't have paid money for this by seeing videos.  It looks ok and the way they're handling the payment model is pretty awesome.
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    I heard patch 1.0 more or less turned the game into your standard ThemePark. If that is true I see no reason to play this game over the other ThemeParks out there. Fail.
  • HolyfleadipHolyfleadip Member Posts: 67
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    I'm going to give it a try because it's f2p, but otherwise my interest in the game has waned and I wouldn't have paid money for this by seeing videos.  It looks ok and the way they're handling the payment model is pretty awesome.

I've stopped buying or even playing f2p by watching videos.  I always watch twitch.tv. 

If it's not good enough to have a channel, then forget it. 

If I watch there and I don't like it, then forget it.

The game will be what it will be.... stopped caring years ago.  Seems like the rest of the world was the pref client base.  F'em all... we'll have EQN finished and AA will pass like bad gas.

• Cramit845Cramit845 Member UncommonPosts: 395
    Originally posted by Yamota
    I heard patch 1.0 more or less turned the game into your standard ThemePark. If that is true I see no reason to play this game over the other ThemeParks out there. Fail.

This is exactly what I heard, from this site when it was released.  Since it is f2p, I will probably give it a shot, my age of wushu guild was very excited for it.  I'm still very skeptical at this point and worry some over thie 1.0 patch.  If it really goes towards a themepark style game I will put it down in no time.

• DEAD.lineDEAD.line Member Posts: 424
    Originally posted by Yamota

Trion is in discussion with XLgames to see what they're going to import from that patch. The russion version aparently didn't get it anyway, so Trion can refuse it if they want. And i think they even stated they would bring in only some bits. So it's still up in the air.

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    How would you get a dog to wear a helmet like that? Anytime I put something on my dogs head he growls and me and gives me a look like, "that's one!".

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• TabmoweTabmowe Member UncommonPosts: 36
    Vaporware?
  • Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by Tabmowe
    Vaporware?

it's already come out in other regions, there is a demoed game at GDC and they are releasing more and more info every week.

So I have no idea why you'd say that, it makes no sense.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

The Asian market likes the 1.0 patch, the "western" market does not. Do not expect the full 1.0 patch to hit the western market as Russia is not using it.

BTW, the 1.0 patch doesn't turn it into a themepark, it just makes grinding dailies the most effective way to do things because of the limitation on labor points unless you spend money to surpass the labor point cap. Asia loves these type of cash shop items, they don't see it as p2w and they also love grinding for the sense of accomplishment.  

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by xpiher
    The Asian market likes the 1.0 patch, the "western" market does not. Do not expect the full 1.0 patch to hit the western market as Russia is not using it. 

I don't think the Asian market even liked the 1.0 patch.  Since the uproar in Korea over this.

Nobody (OK a few do) likes the 1.0 patch. which is why Trion is trying to keep a sandpark game still sandpark.

The demo alone is above any game currently out, and there is another demo slated for this Friday.

demo = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cvcTL8S4e4

It's an amazing game.  It's a sandbox game.  It's a themepark game.  It is PVP.  It is PVE.  What a mash.  It encompasses every mood swing I could ever have.  In one game.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

The uproar in korea is over blown as far as I can tell. Most of the complaints come from western players who played the on the Korean server and don't like it. If the 1.0 Patch was as bad as all the fan sties made it out to be, they would be reverting it. 

P.S. I currently live in Korea and I still see people playing ArcheAge in PC Bangs regularllly. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

AA is teh savior.

No instances !

The world is free of borders, you can go from the very east to the very west without zoning a single time.

Im playing since some weeks in russia and i totally have a blast, even with the f2p restrictions.

Cant wait for Trion to post me some code :p