Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Dev Journal] Therian Saga: Beta Test An AMMOMRPG

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

AMMOMRPG = AsynchronousMMOManagementRP - (That's not serious)

Hi everyone, I’m François Desrosiers, designer at Virtys which is developing Therian Saga. I wanted to start my developer journal with an invitation to our open beta, so we all know what I'm talking about. My goal with the journal is to give you the story of a project that started small and got far bigger than we had expected.

Hope you like it. 

Read more of the exclusive developer diary Therian Saga: Beta an AMMOMRPG.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• FalkarmaFalkarma Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Hi MMORPG. François Desrosiers here. Thanks to MMORPG.com for the article. I'll stick around if you have any questions or comments.
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Give us the quick and dirty gist! What's this game all about?

Reading a little bit. Sounds like a really cool idea and I love your passion for it! Seems like the perfect game for a mobile device. Any plans for that?

Originally posted by Fendel84M
    Give us the quick and dirty gist! What's this game all about?

"Building an MMORPG in a different way"?

We wanted to go deep in our game system without being a time-consuming game. Most of our players stay in the game because of that feeling. We are an indie team, we created the game without the scare of giving the players a hard time understanding our game mechanics, character progression and crafting system. And the reward for you, as a player, is that you will feel the accomplishment of progressing in this complex sandbox world.

(wow, maybe I should do marketing too)

For the tablets, we will do it, that's for sure. From an external point of view, it seems impossible (even stupid?) that a game like ours is released without a mobile version (we are in 2014!). We could not make the switch before the release (the team was too small), so we had to first get the game out, then look for a port to other platforms.

• hardsun79hardsun79 Member UncommonPosts: 66

Playing it as non-primary game. Like it... the story is intresting and the game is deep with many surprises.  Definitely worth trying to see if it fits your style.

• kirak2009kirak2009 Member UncommonPosts: 543

Fun game for sure, not a hack and slash,  take your time develop  your skillset, explore, craft, hunt, tame pets, build a tent, a house an inn for god's sakes  and you can recruit companions right from home.

loving my time in Therian  so far, went away for the weekend,  was able to set tasks for my toon ( mining/sleeping/mining/smelting  and he was busy the whole time i was away,  doing the mundane,  so i can have the fun when i returned

"All expectation leads to suffering" Buhhda

Well ESO just came out so my plate is full! But I will try to squeeze this one in and check it out. I do have two monitors and it sounds like this game could be played at the same time lol.

• RaedonXRaedonX Member Posts: 2
    Game sounds fun, just wish it wasn't built on Silverlight...
  • ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Are you sure you want to call it an AMMORPG? ARPG is usually the term reserved for Diablo-like games, so I was a bit surprised when I found out it means "asynchronous" in this case.
    Hi Scalpless, we don't use the AmmoMrpg acronym for real, I was just fooling around for a way to describe the game genre.
  • quon2k9quon2k9 Member UncommonPosts: 23

Just started playing, having fun so far, it's an amusing diversion. As someone else said, wouldn't be my "main" game but it's something that I can run on the other monitor while I play Torchlight 2. It'll keep me busy until Wildstar comes out. 

Got a friend to try & he seems to like it as well. After years of easy 1-click hand-holding-type stuf, this is refreshing. Not quite fantasy EVE in a browser but it'll do for now. :)