Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard is back with a vengeance outside of WoW: good news

13»

Comments

• sanitysendsanitysend Member Posts: 123
    RoS is really phenomenal. Most fun I've had in that genre in a long time. To be fair I liked D3 though and didnt have any overwhelming nostalgia for D2 like I did for warcraft 2 when 3 was released. 

Wildstar:
    Phantazm, Pago(PvP), Exiles

Guild: Socks with Sandals

Playing: Wildstar
    Retired/Tried: DCUO. The Secret World, Darkfall UW, Darkfall, Mortal Online, DDO, Rift, Fallen Earth, Aion, APB, EQ, EQ2, PoTBS, WoW, WAR, SWG, CoX, Vangaurd, CO, GW, EVE, DAoC, LotRO, SW:ToR, GW2, Dragon Nest

• GuyClinchGuyClinch Member CommonPosts: 485
    Originally posted by handlewithcare
    it looks unfortunately that blizzard will only make a new big mmo if wow gets low enough numbers.

Judging by Diablo III, SC2 and Hearthstone I don't think its that unfortunate. they are profitable company but not industry leaders anymore in the develop world. The best game developers now are Zenimax, Rockstar Games, Naughty Dog, Irrational Games to name a few. Blizzard hasn't made a 'best in the world' game contender since WoW.

• Matticus75Matticus75 Member UncommonPosts: 396
    Originally posted by sportsfan

It dawned on me after playing the latest Diablo 3 RoS expansion. I was wrong, I thought the Diablo franchise was dead after RoS would hit the streets...

Now I consider it the best game Blizzard published since 2005. A pity lots of players will not even play it due to the bad reputation they got with the initial release.

On to Hearthstone. Anyway, I agree with Reynad that former Magic champion who now streams on Twitch by saying that Hearthstone by its simplicity and smooth fast fun is already better with its 380 cards than Magic on Line ever was.

----

So ... what has this to do with MMORPG.COM ?

Well, fans of the mmorpg genre can be back fans again ... without wading through thousands of useless hate posts against WoW or Blizzard.

The success of D3 and HS will free up the minds of those who felt enchained by an industry struggled by WoW game play.

It is also a win/win for all. At least now Blizzard is again capable of making OTHER games again, that was unheard for years as SC2 and the original D3 were bleak attempts of old glories past and the years before that everyone was focused on one single game much too hard. 

Enjoy your (mmorpg) games again.

Someone give this man a hug.......

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    it looks unfortunately that blizzard will only make a new big mmo if wow gets low enough numbers.

I don't think Blizz needs to go back to make another MMO. In fact, they shelf Titan, and all the anounced plans include no new MMO.

• CalvenCalven Member Posts: 151
    There was never a Diablo feel during my playthrough of D3. It wasn't as dark as it's predecessors and storywise very lacking. I think they had great ideas but the execution was terrible. The money auction house alone was making me question the game, but my diablo love got the better of me and I caved.. And I regret that I ever supported such greedy methods
    Originally posted by Calven
    There was never a Diablo feel during my playthrough of D3. It wasn't as dark as it's predecessors and storywise very lacking. I think they had great ideas but the execution was terrible. The money auction house alone was making me question the game, but my diablo love got the better of me and I caved.. And I regret that I ever supported such greedy methods

What AH? Last time i logged in (which is 5 min ago), there is no AH.

Storywise? D3 is a hack-n-slash dungeon crawler, who play it for the story? In fact, MOST of the gameplay (adventure mode + rift) has no story ... just a bunch of random quests, dungeons, and bosses to kill.

The only legit point here is it is not as dark .... but i don't play Diablo for the darkness, I play diablo for the fun combat, progression + build variety, and D3 has all of these in spades .. and more so (to me) than D2.

• LeGrosGamerLeGrosGamer Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Heh, most streams I've seen of D3 RoS are people that just switch from map to map until they find a good map to grind, kind of boring. D3 is still pretty lame even in it's current state, a bit better but not worth the time on reinstalling. I'd much rather play some 5$ indie games off steam.   I want D3 to be just like D2, give me my damn room creator where 7 people can join my game and let's kick some butt where ever, not this bounty map-o-rama switching non sense.
    Originally posted by LeGrosGamer
    Heh, most streams I've seen of D3 RoS are people that just switch from map to map until they find a good map to grind, kind of boring. D3 is still pretty lame even in it's current state, a bit better but not worth the time on reinstalling. I'd much rather play some 5$ indie games off steam.   I want D3 to be just like D2, give me my damn room creator where 7 people can join my game and let's kick some butt where ever, not this bounty map-o-rama switching non sense.

There is no map switching "nonsense" if you play the rifts. You do have to play the maps to get rift stones though.

The rift is where the game is ... true randomized dungeons and mobs.

• Yodi2007Yodi2007 Member Posts: 167
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

I don't think Blizz needs to go back to make another MMO. In fact, they shelf Titan, and all the anounced plans include no new MMO.

Wrong!!!!! They said themselves they have scrapped previous "TiTan" plans and have started fresh with a new approach!  They have basicaly seen that you cannot make WoW 2.0 like Final Fantasy: A Relm Rehashed. 

I belive that they are going a Sandpark route!

http://www.geekosystem.com/blizzard-scraps-titan-dev-team/

Below is where we can disscuss and come up with new ideas for Sandparks!

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5164689#5164689

• Yodi2007Yodi2007 Member Posts: 167
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by Calven

What AH? Last time i logged in (which is 5 min ago), there is no AH.

Storywise? D3 is a hack-n-slash dungeon crawler, who play it for the story? In fact, MOST of the gameplay (adventure mode + rift) has no story ... just a bunch of random quests, dungeons, and bosses to kill.

The only legit point here is it is not as dark .... but i don't play Diablo for the darkness, I play diablo for the fun combat, progression + build variety, and D3 has all of these in spades .. and more so (to me) than D2.

Without backstory for Warcraft series, would people have really gotten into World of Warcraft? I know knowthing about the Diablo series but i can pretty much bet that game was originally story driven......

No story in games and just Hack N Slash is a MOBA game! 

Below is where we can disscuss and come up with new ideas for Sandparks!

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5164689#5164689

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    As someone that hated D3 and pay to win I found RoS and Hearthstone to be solid games. I can see Hearthstone dying off really fast if they don't find ways to keep it interesting but the new guy they have leading Diablo is an all star with balls of steel. He should play a major role with all of blizzards games imo.
    Originally posted by Yodi2007

Without backstory for Warcraft series, would people have really gotten into World of Warcraft? I know knowthing about the Diablo series but i can pretty much bet that game was originally story driven......

No story in games and just Hack N Slash is a MOBA game! 

I agree. You nothing nothing about the Diablo series. It has a story, but the gameplay is NOT story driven, nor the story is any important.

The story is just an excuse to kill lots of stuff, and get items. It is the same in D1, D2, and D3.

Originally posted by JimmyYO
    As someone that hated D3 and pay to win I found RoS and Hearthstone to be solid games. I can see Hearthstone dying off really fast if they don't find ways to keep it interesting but the new guy they have leading Diablo is an all star with balls of steel. He should play a major role with all of blizzards games imo.

CCG is all about e-sports, new cards and new deck ideas. If they want to make hearthstone super successful, they need to push the e-sport angle, and also release new cards regularly (not unlike all the major CCG like Magic and Yugio).