Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else feel the classes all feel the same?

LazzaroLazzaro Member UncommonPosts: 548

Am I the only one who thinks no matter what class you play? It seems like the classes have the same skills, but just at either range or melee with a different telegraph. It's hard to explain, but I can't really get into any class.

Comments

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

A huge astounding no.

I've played all 6.

I like and dislike them all to varying degrees.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Played them all as well. They all get a stun early on about thats about it. Even their stun does not all work the same. So no, very different classes. My guess is you didnt play very far into the game.
  • LazzaroLazzaro Member UncommonPosts: 548

Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Played them all as well. They all get a stun early on about thats about it. Even their stun does not all work the same. So no, very different classes. My guess is you didnt play very far into the game.

Played all classes to 15 and have a mid 30's medic.

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197

Huh? No... they all play quite differently.

..Cake..

• KingGatorKingGator Member UncommonPosts: 428

I am glad to see people saying no, but this is a concern of mine, and I've never played the game, but all "action" combat mmorpgs tend to lack class diversity in my experience, it's one of the reasons I absolutely loathed guild wars 2.

I am going to try this game regardless because the mmo space is an absolute wasteland atm, but the OPS statement is one of my fears.

• LazzaroLazzaro Member UncommonPosts: 548

Originally posted by KingGator
    I am glad to see people saying no, but this is a concern of mine, and I've never played the game, but all "action" combat mmorpgs tend to lack class diversity in my experience, it's one of the reasons I absolutely loathed guild wars 2.

I am going to try this game regardless because the mmo space is an absolute wasteland atm, but the OPS statement is one of my fears.

It's hard to explain, it feels like I'm spamming my builder, then the finisher and throwing in some utility when needed and heals if I'm a med/Esper/ss.

I think it's the abilities that all feel the same to me, there needs to be more variety between class abilities

• Zap-RoboZap-Robo Member UncommonPosts: 233
    Originally posted by Lazzaro

It's hard to explain, it feels like I'm spamming my builder, then the finisher and throwing in some utility when needed and heals if I'm a med/Esper/ss.

I think it's the abilities that all feel the same to me, there needs to be more variety between class abilities

Okay let's try that shall we...

Spellslinger: Has no Builder/Consumer mechanic. Spell Power rebuilds over time and is only expended when Spell Surging (which gives different effects on different abiltiies). Narrow telegraphs, long range.

Medic: Starts with all 4 Cells filled so can "spam" Consumer to start with (makes for some nice burst), but then does need it's Builder (Damage or Heal, player's choice). Wide telegraphs, medium range.

Esper: Totally valid observation - classic builder/consumer designed class. Narrow telegraphs, long range.

Warrior: Builder mechanic, but no consumers - abilities ramp up based off class resource but degrades only out of combat. Wide telegraphs, melee range

Stalker: Consumer mechanic but no builders - class resource regenerates over time. Narrow telegraphs, melee range

Engineer: Valid observation - classic builder/consumer designed class. Wide telegraphs, medium range.

I think some of the homogenisation you're feeling is the fact that Interrupts/CC aren't limited to a single class so combat is a little formulaic looking at it from the high level (not to be confused with being AT high leve) - damage, interrupt, damage, dodge, heal, damage, etc - but it's the detail of how you're doing damage that matters.

Plus "utility when needed" and "some heals" are gross oversimplifications once you're at the higher end group content (timing interrupts to overcome boss Interrupt Armour or managing Focus for healers is a real thing!)

--
    Admin @ http://wildstar-central.com/
    ZapRobo (PlanetSide 2) | Zap-Robo (The Secret World)
    @Master Zaprobo (City of Heroes) | Zaphod@Zap-Robo (Star Trek Online)

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

I understand why you would see this, OP.

It's not a Wildstar flaw, it's an MMO flaw.

No matter how many classes they have you level them all using the same mechanic, usually a variant of dps. It's why players and often development focus on endgame. Leveling mechanics make all classes a dps race.

• VoqarVoqar Member UncommonPosts: 510
    Originally posted by Lazzaro

Am I the only one who thinks no matter what class you play? It seems like the classes have the same skills, but just at either range or melee with a different telegraph. It's hard to explain, but I can't really get into any class.

I feel somewhat the same.

I've tried them all and like some, dislike some, and overall even though there's that one different class specific thing they all somewhat feel the same - just melee vs ranged.

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.