Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest II: The Meatbeast Returns!

BMunchausenBMunchausen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff Posts: 400

The people of Norrath have spoken and Sony Online Entertainment has listened. For a limited time, the publisher's bringing the notorious Meatbeast back to Everquest II only this time, it's even better. It can fly!

For more information or to purchase your own Meatbeast, visit the official EverQuest II website.

Comments

• BurntCabbageBurntCabbage Member UncommonPosts: 482
    the real  news here is that people are still playing eq2...i stoped playing after they revamped pvp on pvp servers..o those were tha days... / sigh
  • GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    I started really disliking EQ2 when they started adding so much crap that looked so out of place in the world.  And yes, I know I'm being anal.. I'm an immersion nut.

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• Agathos88Agathos88 Member UncommonPosts: 92
    It's actually pretty solid.

-Prior story writer for MMORPG.com

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    Originally posted by BurntCabbage
    the real  news here is that people are still playing eq2...i stoped playing after they revamped pvp on pvp servers..o those were tha days... / sigh

You must be living in a cave then.

10 expansions are already out and another one is on its way.

• LetsinodLetsinod Member UncommonPosts: 385
    Too many hot bars and buttons.
  • BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by Letsinod

Lol, actually quite true. It isn't like EQ1 where you can basically go back and pick it back up easily as it is roughly 2 or 3 good skills to get you by like a buff, a hard hitting attack and a debuff where in EQ2 you have to do like 20 buffs remember 40 skills on how to get your heroic opportunity and another 50 or so chain skills, lol....ok a bit of exaggeration but I agree there are too many to comfortably go back and easily pick it back up. 

EQ1 is like riding a bike, you never forget, whereas EQ2 is like flying a 747, gotta have a bit of a refresher course lol.

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290
    Yea I honestly think EQ2 has one of the best game worlds in the business, but the combat is horrid. 9 million buttons and you basically play whack-a-mole the entire fight.
  • ET3DET3D Member UncommonPosts: 325
    Originally posted by DMKano

Played it for a month at launch as many EQ1 vets - never went back.

Its crap (to me - obviously I am not the intended audience)

So you basically have no idea what the game is like and you call it crap. I'm not saying that it's not crap to you, just that the way it was a launch is nothing like what it is today.

• ReaperJodaReaperJoda Member UncommonPosts: 76
    I'm also an eq1 vet...my guild left eq1 after we beat Quarm in the PoP expansion. Eq1 then started to feel very non everquest like...eq 2 at launch was nothing better, I do Agree with DMkano. Game wasn't bad, just not everquest like...just like how they butchered eqnext.
  • seafirexseafirex Member UncommonPosts: 419
    EQN is not even out and there is not even a beta or alpha about it. Your getting mix with Landmark that is totally different from EQN.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101

Actually those of you who played EQ 2 at launch and never went back really missed a gem. I also left after I had played it at launch but after going and playing WoW I returned a year later and my god the game was very different. The thing I absolutely loved about EQ 2 was that they were so many hidden stuff you could do quests way out in nowhere that could lead to an amazing chain of quests that had so much lore and story to it.

The crafting was fabulous and I loved both of my houses in Qeynos and Freeport and even used to visit the Noranthian Housing forum just to look for ideas. I loved making poisons and making so many different types of poisons and watching the effects .The game had so much depth and to be honest it was a very good game and one that in many ways was better than WoW then. Do not know how it is now though I left after the Kingdoam in the Sky I think it was called expansion. I even did the traitor quest two times so that my High Elf paladin was in Freeport and one other which I cannot recall now.

Chamber of Chains
  • ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

Been playing EQ2 since beta and for 10 years now.  I've played most other major releases (except WoW) and am yet to find a game to take me permanently away from EQ2.      I'll say that if LoTRO had released before EQ2, i would have probably chosen LoTRO or maybe AoC, but since they released after, they just didn't offer enough "over" eq2. 

Most other games haven't even come close in terms of the amount of endgame content as well as the challenge that this content provides.  At least not to my taste/playstyle.    The fact that EQ2 still gets a major yearly expac and tons (at least compared to other games) of constant free updates makes it worth to keep playing.   Not to mention that if you don't suck at the game, you can easily earn yourself a full sub in-game. 

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by cheyane

Actually those of you who played EQ 2 at launch and never went back really missed a gem. I also left after I had played it at launch but after going and playing WoW I returned a year later and my god the game was very different. The thing I absolutely loved about EQ 2 was that they were so many hidden stuff you could do quests way out in nowhere that could lead to an amazing chain of quests that had so much lore and story to it.

The crafting was fabulous and I loved both of my houses in Qeynos and Freeport and even used to visit the Noranthian Housing forum just to look for ideas. I loved making poisons and making so many different types of poisons and watching the effects .The game had so much depth and to be honest it was a very good game and one that in many ways was better than WoW then. Do not know how it is now though I left after the Kingdoam in the Sky I think it was called expansion. I even did the traitor quest two times so that my High Elf paladin was in Freeport and one other which I cannot recall now.

This.  I played EQ2 at release for about 4 months before i got fed up with it.  Let some friends convince me to go play WOW.  Quit WOW about 2 months before BC released and went back to EQ2 and by that point it was quite literally the best MMO out there, far far better than WOW

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824
    Originally posted by Whitebeards

SOE churning out endless expansions to nickel and dime their tiny fanbase is nothing new

EQ2 - as a huge EQ1 fan I remember believing SOE that this was the game for EQ1 fans.

It wasn't.

They managed to kill every single gameplay mechanic that made EQ1 unique.

So after almost  10 years you think its still crap even though it is a completely different game from launch?

Now if you played it currently and said 'its still crap' that would have lend more credibility to your opinion. You have no idea how much this game have improved over the years. 

Originally posted by Asamof
    Originally posted by Whitebeards

SOE churning out endless expansions to nickel and dime their tiny fanbase is nothing new

Damn if you do and damn if you don't.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

EQ2 - as a huge EQ1 fan I remember believing SOE that this was the game for EQ1 fans.

It wasn't.

They managed to kill every single gameplay mechanic that made EQ1 unique.

Not that it needs to be repeat...ed.. well.. maybe it does.. This game is nothing like it was in 2005. For better or worse YMMV ..2005's opinion is 2005's opinion though, it really has no bearing today. Especially in this case..

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by ET3D

So you basically have no idea what the game is like and you call it crap. I'm not saying that it's not crap to you, just that the way it was a launch is nothing like what it is today.

The funny thing is this coming from a guy who loves Rift.

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by Braindome
    Originally posted by Letsinod

Lol, actually quite true. It isn't like EQ1 where you can basically go back and pick it back up easily as it is roughly 2 or 3 good skills to get you by like a buff, a hard hitting attack and a debuff where in EQ2 you have to do like 20 buffs remember 40 skills on how to get your heroic opportunity and another 50 or so chain skills, lol....ok a bit of exaggeration but I agree there are too many to comfortably go back and easily pick it back up. 

EQ1 is like riding a bike, you never forget, whereas EQ2 is like flying a 747, gotta have a bit of a refresher course lol.

EQ2 is significantly easier to pick back up than EQ1.

Try making a heroic character in EQ1 and see how you do with that. 

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by syriinx
    Originally posted by Braindome

EQ2 is significantly easier to pick back up than EQ1.

Try making a heroic character in EQ1 and see how you do with that. 

i agree - i played EQ1 heavily during the first 5 years

my most recent return to EQ1 was when it went ftp in March 2012

at upper levels, EQ1 is still probably the least friendly "solo player" mmo