Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Total Biscuit - Valve is missleading people

ElmberryElmberry Member UncommonPosts: 195

Total Biscuit talks about how Valve is missleading people about release dates and other things which could be much better. New titles are "drowned" by the amount of old ones on the front page of steam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLNh5HPbQPo&list=UUy1Ms_5qBTawC-k7PVjHXKQ

I 100% agree with him. I have felt the same way for a long time now. I have lots of games on steam but I wished it could be much better than this. Anyone know if something better is on its way, as I have been quite tired of steam lately. Maybe Google or another great company can do something better. :)

Comments

• TbauTbau Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 401

Seriously, who has issues keeping up with the release dates of the few games they are watching?!?

I haven't heard this complaint until Companies like Trion decided that they were going to take on Steam and now we are inundated with complaints about Steam...same with the "its impossible to find indie games on Steam because there are so many" BS. If there are so many, how are they impossible to find?!?

Its like the cant keep up BS, if you are interested in an upcoming game, place it ON YOUR WISHLIST and bam!

...done and done.

Whats doubly worse is, if you are so looking forward to a game why don't you remember when its coming out? And why would you be only looking at information from one source?

• johnismejohnisme Member UncommonPosts: 110
    I disagree 100%,just cause greenlight games are getting more exposure doesn't mean new release are pushed out of the way,i frequent steam a lot and it works just fine for me.
  • Sk1ppeRSk1ppeR Member Posts: 511

I like Origin. The client is written using Qt Framework so its stylish AND fast unlike steam's client that just have to self-update each time i run it and then boot for 20+ seconds. I don't have that issue with Origin, and if I have the option, I use EA's platform, not Steam. 

Not to mention that Steam has become indy game trashcan lately. I don't like Minecraft and the likes and I never will. Simple as that. 

• Sk1ppeRSk1ppeR Member Posts: 511
    Originally posted by johnisme
    I disagree 100%,just cause greenlight games are getting more exposure doesn't mean new release are pushed out of the way,i frequent steam a lot and it works just fine for me.

Watch the full vid please. Greenlight actually sums up for a small fraction of top page games. Its mostly publishers dumping their old games there.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    No issues finding games on Steam. Only nitpick is I wish they allowed me to sort by more than two, shotgun, price brackets.

• Saxx0nSaxx0n PR/Brand Manager BitBox Ltd.Member UncommonPosts: 999
    I completely agree with TB.
  • ElmberryElmberry Member UncommonPosts: 195
    Today I need to surf around for example to metacritics to see when the game was actually released as I can not trust the information on Steam is correct any more, as they are lying about it these days. Most of the times I want only to check new releases and it's impossible to do that on steam today.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by Elmberry
    Today I need to surf around for example to metacritics to see when the game was actually released as I can not trust the information on Steam is correct any more, as they are lying about it these days. Most of the times I want only to check new releases and it's impossible to do that on steam today.

to be honest who the fuck cares..

You seriously going to switch because of something like that? 

Here is Valves view on the subject of game distribution. Put more control into the hands of the developers.

Thus...if you have a problem with a release date, it aint Steam, its the developers.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

Originally posted by Elmberry
     Most of the times I want only to check new releases and it's impossible to do that on steam today.

Just did a quick sweep and every game released in the last month showing on Gamestop, that is being sold on Steam IS listed on Steams New Releases list. Then checked to see what games are coming out in the next month on Gamestop, those being sold on Steam are all listed on their coming soon tab and did not see a date showing differently than Gamestops.

Guess you need to learn how to use Steam.

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

Who cares what TB has to say anymore? He's a complete prat who has become one of the most insufferable know-it-all's in video game journalism, right next to that moron Jim Sterling (though Jim did earn some points with me during the whole Aliens: Colonial Marines disaster).

I have no problem keeping up with new releases on Steam whatsoever. It takes all of thirty seconds to scroll through the list of titles released that day to see if anything interesting is included. As usual, TB is taking a minor issue and blowing it up into something much bigger than it is.

Edit: As far as the original release date? It's right at the top of the game's store page, plain as day for all to see. So that point is completely moot.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

Originally posted by Solar_Prophet

Who cares what TB has to say anymore? He's a complete prat who has become one of the most insufferable know-it-all's in video game journalism.

Lol, I said that about him about 5 years ago when he got into a flame war with a dozen or so people posting on his Youtube channel. He was trying to tell them they were playing MMOs wrong and should either learn or stop playing.

Such a douche canoe. 

• RzepRzep Member UncommonPosts: 767
    Old rereleased crap is pushing new releases off the front page in a matter of a day. That is a huge problem. In recent weeks there have been a few cases of old games straight up rereleased with no work done to make them work properly on modern systems. And this shovelware is pushing new AAA and Indie games from the front page, taking away their exposure and thus sales. If you don't think that is a problem than quite frankly * insert a string of insults here*.

Goat Simulator is coming out April 1st. That is this tuesday, that is 2 days from now.

Hope that helps.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Tbau
    Originally posted by Rzep
    Originally posted by stevebombsquad

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

Except your factoids ring kinda false.. I used to run a Google Adsense account on a site and my own tests on it pointed to 0.5 to 5-10 cents per click depending on ad displayed.

As for TB himself... his reviews are informative enough and some of his vids are entertaining and as far as his living status... well using the example of BohemianEagle whom has around 200k subs and is comfortably living off that I can say quite easily that TB with a order higher may indeed be very well off.

• IkonisIkonis Member UncommonPosts: 245
    Originally posted by Dihoru

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

Except your factoids ring kinda false.. I used to run a Google Adsense account on a site and my own tests on it pointed to 0.5 to 5-10 cents per click depending on ad displayed.

As for TB himself... his reviews are informative enough and some of his vids are entertaining and as far as his living status... well using the example of BohemianEagle whom has around 200k subs and is comfortably living off that I can say quite easily that TB with a order higher may indeed be very well off.

Actually he is right. TB is part of a collective that handles the legal side of things. It works differently than being independent.

that being said, it is sad to see Valveboys attacking someone for wanting a simple change that keeps decade ole shovelware garbage from killing exposure of new indie games by hard working devs.

Originally posted by Ikonis

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

Actually he is right. TB is part of a collective that handles the legal side of things. It works differently than being independent.

that being said, it is sad to see Valveboys attacking someone for wanting a simple change that keeps decade ole shovelware garbage from killing exposure of new indie games by hard working devs.

Doesn't the guy have his own SC2 team. If that is not getting rich off of YT than I don't know what is.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    It's big it's popular so people need to come up with reason to stand out and be that voice. I've yet to see a good reason to stop using it...including all the nonsense in this thread.

That's how much it makes Google, not Youtubers.

Michael Buckley (celebrity chatter show) said when he topped 300k subscribers and was averaging that many views per video that he was making around 30K per month(he was doing 6 vids per week). That was a few years after the New York Times did an article about him when he had 180k subs and was making 18k per month.

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Seriously, who has issues keeping up with the release dates of the few games they are watching?!?

I haven't heard this complaint until Companies like Trion decided that they were going to take on Steam and now we are inundated with complaints about Steam...same with the "its impossible to find indie games on Steam because there are so many" BS. If there are so many, how are they impossible to find?!?

Its like the cant keep up BS, if you are interested in an upcoming game, place it ON YOUR WISHLIST and bam!

...done and done.

Whats doubly worse is, if you are so looking forward to a game why don't you remember when its coming out? And why would you be only looking at information from one source?

I agree with you. And his NEW RELEASES rant is also pointless. He does realize you can scroll that list, right?

I mean, are people that lazy or something?

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

[mod edit]
    [mod edit]

Except for the fact that like I said, it takes all of thirty seconds (usually less) to scroll through that day's releases. Furthermore new releases also usually get space at the giant, scrolling banner ad at the top of the front page, with a big picture, listed price, and everything. To the right of that is another giant ad for whatever the mid-week or weekend sale is, and below that is the daily deal.

TB is complaining about nothing, per usual.

Edit: And oh yeah, there's the HUGE ad space at the very top, which AAA releases usually get for a couple of days. You know, the one advertising the Square-Enix sale right now. That gigantic thing, which even a legally blind person would have a hard time not seeing.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

Originally posted by Methos12

...done and done.

I agree with you. And his NEW RELEASES rant is also pointless. He does realize you can scroll that list, right?

I see someone never worked in retail and had no crash course in marketing 101.

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959

Steam offers metacritic and customer reviews on the actually interface, so I take it people can't even bother reading the store page to see what people say about a game? Have people actually gotten that lazy that they need a system that shovel feeds them what is popular....notice I didn't say "good".

Gabe is trying to make Steam an open platform and is getting criticized....lol, sounds like someone is butthurt cause they couldn't buy Gabe's favor and considering that Total Biscuits viewership is dwindling I wouldn't doubt one of the games that has slipped off the front page was one he was earning monetization on.

This is nothing more than a hungry YouTuber crying cause he is becoming obsolete. Someone needs to tell him he is going to have to go back to work at McDonalds cause companies aren't gonna cater to his type so his viewers can find games easier.

• TyrantasTyrantas Member UncommonPosts: 369
    Originally posted by Ikonis

[mod edit]

[mod edit[

[mod edit]

Doesn't the guy have his own SC2 team. If that is not getting rich off of YT than I don't know what is.

He does, but he's definetly not rich, he spends lots of money for other people. Having a sc2 costs him a lot of his money and time. He deserves way more than he makes, guess where would he spend that money if he made more ? Gaming industry, probably would organize even more tournaments FROM HIS OWN POCKET and would expand his sc2 team or add another game division to his team. 

Originally posted by Braindome

Steam offers metacritic and customer reviews on the actually interface, so I take it people can't even bother reading the store page to see what people say about a game? Have people actually gotten that lazy that they need a system that shovel feeds them what is popular....notice I didn't say "good".

Gabe is trying to make Steam an open platform and is getting criticized....lol, sounds like someone is butthurt cause they couldn't buy Gabe's favor and considering that Total Biscuits viewership is dwindling I wouldn't doubt one of the games that has slipped off the front page was one he was earning monetization on.

This is nothing more than a hungry YouTuber crying cause he is becoming obsolete. Someone needs to tell him he is going to have to go back to work at McDonalds cause companies aren't gonna cater to his type so his viewers can find games easier.

What the hell are you talking about...you either didn't watch or didn't get the video. Quite frankly the discussion in this thread also seems to have flown over your head.

Originally posted by Methos12

...done and done.

I see someone never worked in retail and had no crash course in marketing 101.

I would rather Steam not become a marketing juggernaut. 

The main appeal of Steam is that it allows indies to have more exposure then they would OTHERWISE. So two items with that point.

1. we dont want a gate keeper deciding what games are 'good' and which games are not. That is for gamers to decide.

2. we dont want game development infected too much by marketing. For many AAA games the marketing budget is HIGHER than the development budget.