Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why play Wildstar?

JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290

Why play Wildstar? Why am I, an EQ1 raid veteran and Dark Souls nut looking forward to this "cartoonish" game the most of all? Watch this video. The whole thing, it explains everything.

Comments

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    The PvE aspect of this game is the only interest I have in this game, the first dungeon preview looked really amazing.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    HAHA, gotta fuck that mob!
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386
    Beats the heck out of me. Personally I'm waiting for TESO! Prob won't play anything else for a long time.
  • AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

This is why!

It may not be open world housing. But it is robust with public access options!

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290
    Originally posted by Wrender
    Beats the heck out of me. Personally I'm waiting for TESO! Prob won't play anything else for a long time.

Yea, that's what everyone says whenever another FOTM easy game comes out. Watch the video, it explains why TESO will be just a flash in the pan.

• Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530
    Originally posted by Jimmydean

Yea, that's what everyone says whenever another FOTM easy game comes out. Watch the video, it explains why TESO will be just a flash in the pan.

Dude, it's really nothing more than an enthusiastic player waxing poetic about what, he feels, makes W* HIS type of game... The part about "feeling" like you've accomplished something in W*... I mean, come'on, different strokes for different folks people.

W* may have the right mix for some, BUT TESO ALSO has that mix for some. Don't go dropping "flash in the pan" statements when it's obviously not your cup-o-tea.

Originally posted by Instigator-Jones

Dude, it's really nothing more than an enthusiastic player waxing poetic about what, he feels, makes W* HIS type of game... The part about "feeling" like you've accomplished something in W*... I mean, come'on, different strokes for different folks people.

W* may have the right mix for some, BUT TESO ALSO has that mix for some. Don't go dropping "flash in the pan" statements when it's obviously not your cup-o-tea.

What TESO lacks is what made EQ1, DAoC, AC, Vanilla WoW, and FFXI all so successful. Difficulty, player achievement, and emphasis on multiplayer.  That's what the video was about.

• Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530

What TESO lacks is what made EQ1, DAoC, AC, Vanilla WoW, and FFXI all so successful. Difficulty, player achievement, and emphasis on multiplayer.  That's what the video was about.

Read into it all you want; he's excited, and he's found what HE thinks is the right game equation... Nothing more. Use that as a metric for any other game you feel doesn't fit... Still doesn't qualify the "flash in the pan" statement.

Read into it all you want; he's excited, and he's found what HE thinks is the right game equation... Nothing more. Use that as a metric for any other game you feel doesn't fit... Still doesn't qualify the "flash in the pan" statement.

I guess if SWTOR can make money than any game can, but SWTOR also proved why you can't take a single player game and charge a sub for it, ala TESO.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100

In a way it is true the difficulty and grouping is what is missing in games. What I enjoyed too and am looking forward to Wildstar. Just have not much time right now am playing some single player RPGs on PS 3 once I am done Wildstar it is .

Chamber of Chains
  • DewulfDewulf Member UncommonPosts: 139
    dunno if the guy has even tried FFXIV. Primal's were kinda hard and took time to learn and raids are pretty hard.
    Originally posted by Dewulf
    dunno if the guy has even tried FFXIV. Primal's were kinda hard and took time to learn and raids are pretty hard.

FFXIV suffers from the same thing that keeps WOW bleeding subs. There is no player or guild achievement.  Every single paladin has some mix of mythology and allagan. You can get gear that is on the same level as the final raid from a random dungeon token system. You can get a weapon that rivals the ones from the final boss by grinding low level encounters. FFXIV might even be a worse offender than WoW.

• MalacthMalacth Member UncommonPosts: 121

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgfp87eUprc

20 reasons why TESO won't be a flash in the pan.

I think Wildstar and TESO will both be very successful, but TESO's success will completely shadow Wildstars. Wildstar won't even slightly rival TESO I don't think. Yet, I still think Wildstar will be a successful game.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    That was a great video.  I like how he started off with the cons of the early game and how dry and boring it can be.  He didn't try to convince the viewers that the game was pure awesome at the get go like some other videos I have seen about other games.  I and many others felt the same about the early leveling content.   However, what he says about the game at level 20 and beyond along with the first level 20 dungeon footage really impressed me.  It's true that true difficulty needs to be put back  into MMOs and not just ridiculous stats.  The last time I saw anything difficult in an MMO was Deathwatch bunker back in SWG pre-everything.  That's one of the reasons why I prefer PVP for my endgame and not raiding. The other is time issues which is just my own damn problem and not any MMOs fault.  That's why I'm anxious to hear impressions about high level PVP in this game.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

Originally posted by Malacth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgfp87eUprc

20 reasons why TESO won't be a flash in the pan.

I think Wildstar and TESO will both be very successful, but TESO's success will completely shadow Wildstars. Wildstar won't even slightly rival TESO I don't think. Yet, I still think Wildstar will be a successful game.

That video just listed a bunch of reasons the guy wanted to play a single player RPG more than an MMORPG. 

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910

If you like Wildstar is fine no need to disparage another game to achieve your goal of promoting Wildstar. It just makes you look petty.

Originally posted by kitarad

If you like Wildstar is fine no need to disparage another game to achieve your goal of promoting Wildstar. It just makes you look petty.

I was just responding to someone that posted here about ESO. I never said anything about it before that.

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571
    The OP didn't said anything about TESO in his thread. Only when others start saying about how better is TESO etc. In his last post also he is answering to a guy that linked a TESO video. He didn't started a debate between those 2 games. Others did.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910

I am not saying he brought it up but that he disparaged another game . That was unnecessary.

• AnnekynnAnnekynn Member Posts: 1,437

Great video. The difficulty in the game is whats been missing from games last 5 years.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
    Originally posted by rodingo
    That was a great video.  I like how he started off with the cons of the early game and how dry and boring it can be.  He didn't try to convince the viewers that the game was pure awesome at the get go like some other videos I have seen about other games.  I and many others felt the same about the early leveling content.   However, what he says about the game at level 20 and beyond along with the first level 20 dungeon footage really impressed me.  It's true that true difficulty needs to be put back  into MMOs and not just ridiculous stats.  The last time I saw anything difficult in an MMO was Deathwatch bunker back in SWG pre-everything.  That's one of the reasons why I prefer PVP for my endgame and not raiding. The other is time issues which is just my own damn problem and not any MMOs fault.  That's why I'm anxious to hear impressions about high level PVP in this game.

I played it and the early leveling content was indeed really boring. Even if I know that after level 20 it would be the best game I ever played I would not sit trough 20 levels worth of very boring content. This is something that will hurt Wildstar I think. The combat, story and world all felt interesting though. 

I think I will try out wildstar later with a trail and see if they make the early content more interesting. 

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114
    Originally posted by AzurePrower

This is why!

It may not be open world housing. But it is robust with public access options!

I find your reasons much more believable than the OP's reasons.  Why?  Because the game's housing is awesome!  Getting pieces through rare drops, challenges, quest items, and so on...then creating my own little paradise I can escape to every so often, is fun and enjoyable.   It adds personality to the game that's an accomplishment in MMO's where everyone is just another hero. 

And in the video the OP posted (I'm assuming it's his own) goes on to state how he thinks Wildstar is "bland" and doesn't like the Sci-Fi Western theme of the game.   However, I think that the game isn't bland at all, it's Sci-Fi Western theme is a refreshing breath over the oversaturated fantasy games that fill the genre.

Yes the challenge is there and dungeons are smash-face-to-keyboard difficult,.......but that's not what makes the game.  Not even by the slightest.

• Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234

I would call that youtube review pretty much accurate. There is allot wrapped up there that really draws me in. I have loved wow, but lfr and easy modes and just everyone wins has removed the magic, the exploration, the surprises, and the highs and lows that wow once had.

Wildstar appears to be the game that can bring some of that back. Time will tell, but as he explains in the vid, you do have highs and lows, can you pick up the pieces from a low and redeem yourself?

• RigurRigur Member Posts: 53

That's great. That's why YOU want to play wildstar and nothing is wrong with that. Not everyone wants to go back to the old ways myself included.

I started EQ in 2000 and didn't leave for wow till BC. I played on a certain project server for 6 months. The community aspect of it is still awesome! I still keep in touch and play games today with people I met in Ecommons tunnel. The leveling on the other hand was horrendous (in my opinion) spending hours in the same place for one level. Spending hours sitting in one spot LFG.

I understand some people still love this and want it back that's great. I don't.

The first MMO you loved will always be the best. You will never get that feeling back stop trying.

Originally posted by Rigur

That's great. That's why YOU want to play wildstar and nothing is wrong with that. Not everyone wants to go back to the old ways myself included.

I started EQ in 2000 and didn't leave for wow till BC. I played on a certain project server for 6 months. The community aspect of it is still awesome! I still keep in touch and play games today with people I met in Ecommons tunnel. The leveling on the other hand was horrendous (in my opinion) spending hours in the same place for one level. Spending hours sitting in one spot LFG.

I understand some people still love this and want it back that's great. I don't.

I don't remember there being anything in the video about sitting around LFG or forced grouping to level?