Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest Next vs Everquest Next Landmark

Charlie12202Charlie12202 Member UncommonPosts: 32

I have a question. Where is Everquest Next? I know we have alpha access to EverQuest Next Landmark but what I am confused about is if anyone is in beta for EQN. 

Are they the same game and this is how far they have come? Or is there another server for EQN that people are using. I know on their webpage is says apply for beta but is that for EQN or Landmark? 

I have Landmark and am enjoying it but someone said these where two different games and then someone else said this is the same game. 

I hope this makes sense. 

Comments

• drtack1drtack1 Member UncommonPosts: 273

from what I understand they are two different game. I also heard things made in EQNL can be implemented in EQN but I am probably wrong.

I am confused a bit as well. No real clear answer from SOE.

• SilacoidSilacoid Member UncommonPosts: 237
    They are separate games, but the best buildings will be selected to be included in Everquest Next as permanent buildings.
  • AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Originally posted by Charlie12202

I have a question. Where is Everquest Next? I know we have alpha access to EverQuest Next Landmark but what I am confused about is if anyone is in beta for EQN. 

Are they the same game and this is how far they have come? Or is there another server for EQN that people are using. I know on their webpage is says apply for beta but is that for EQN or Landmark? 

I have Landmark and am enjoying it but someone said these where two different games and then someone else said this is the same game. 

I hope this makes sense. 

Makes complete sense as SOE doesn't make it extremely clear to those not following one or both games closely.

EQN is in development behind closed doors without any players (besides devs).

Landmark will implement a lot of the things EQN will eventually have and be made of. AI, mobs, crafting, building, various biomes, combat, etc.

They are developing both at the same time, but Landmark is first for player involvement. As they see how things work in Landmark, that will influence how things eventually work in EQN.

Landmark is eventually supposed to be a game where players can create whatever they can imagine (to a point) and make up their own game/world to some extent. As it is still pretty bare bones, it is hard to see it that way, but as they add in other systems, it will start to be more obviousl.

EQN is a traditional mmorpg for the most part. Where players are creating things in Landmark, the Devs create everything in EQN. 

Basically they were making EQN and saw a chance to let players experience the same thing (while making some cash). So Landmark is kind of like a watered down version of what the Devs are doing in the studio.

Not a lot has been talked about, but some of the better creations in Landmark will make it into EQN. How much content goes back and forth is yet to be said exactly.

• xanthmetisxanthmetis Member UncommonPosts: 141
    Originally posted by Allein
    Originally posted by Charlie12202

I hope this makes sense. 

Makes complete sense as SOE doesn't make it extremely clear to those not following one or both games closely.

EQN is in development behind closed doors without any players (besides devs).

Landmark will implement a lot of the things EQN will eventually have and be made of. AI, mobs, crafting, building, various biomes, combat, etc.

They are developing both at the same time, but Landmark is first for player involvement. As they see how things work in Landmark, that will influence how things eventually work in EQN.

Landmark is eventually supposed to be a game where players can create whatever they can imagine (to a point) and make up their own game/world to some extent. As it is still pretty bare bones, it is hard to see it that way, but as they add in other systems, it will start to be more obviousl.

EQN is a traditional mmorpg for the most part. Where players are creating things in Landmark, the Devs create everything in EQN. 

Basically they were making EQN and saw a chance to let players experience the same thing (while making some cash). So Landmark is kind of like a watered down version of what the Devs are doing in the studio.

Not a lot has been talked about, but some of the better creations in Landmark will make it into EQN. How much content goes back and forth is yet to be said exactly.

you were doing pretty good until you got to the part of describing how development will be done it all in eqn...

people from ever server will help rebuild cities like halos or w/e.... servers could look compeletly different since the ai responds to what the players do a "smarter ai"... some monsters like to be around people and others dont... on one server they maybe be sucessful rebuilding certain cities and maybe on smaller servers they are not... lets say the bigger server succeeds on creating this city next thing u know there are dragons or beasts attacking that city... you would not see that on lets say a smaller city bc there is no city... 

there will be crafting of cites and buildings by players in eqn... it is SANDBOX... 

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Originally posted by xanthmetis

you were doing pretty good until you got to the part of describing how development will be done it all in eqn...

people from ever server will help rebuild cities like halos or w/e.... servers could look compeletly different since the ai responds to what the players do a "smarter ai"... some monsters like to be around people and others dont... on one server they maybe be sucessful rebuilding certain cities and maybe on smaller servers they are not... lets say the bigger server succeeds on creating this city next thing u know there are dragons or beasts attacking that city... you would not see that on lets say a smaller city bc there is no city... 

there will be crafting of cites and buildings by players in eqn... it is SANDBOX... 

You are correct, but I was talking about the overall game design and what part devs play.

Players won't design/build the Rally Cally that will allow players to build Halas. Devs will design the initial starting area, the "quests" and AI components and will set it all in motion for the most part. From there, yes players can take it down several paths (hopefully). While it is "sandbox" like, it is still very dev controlled and isn't a total freedom system. Guessing you can't build Freeport instead of Halas for example.

But Landmark is supposed to give these tools/systems to players to work with. So a guild could possibly combine 100 claims and then construct their on quest/AI and allow other people to come in and do something with it (Probably on the far end of what's possible, but it is something to shoot for).

I think both have their advantages and will cater to different types of players, with some enjoying both. I think Landmark could lead to some amazing gameplay a ways down the road, but much prefer to play in a world with some sort of premade things to experience. So EQN is my focus, but if Landmark turns out fun and a lot of creative players spend time building amazing things, I won't mind stopping in to try them out.

• quseioquseio Member UncommonPosts: 234
    landmark is limited to one class adventurer, there will b combat supposedly someday,, eqn will be  a traditional questy with building goodness too eqn has many classes  which u can be everyone
  • KyllienKyllien Member UncommonPosts: 315
    Originally posted by quseio
    landmark is limited to one class adventurer, there will b combat supposedly someday,, eqn will be  a traditional questy with building goodness too eqn has many classes  which u can be everyone

Landmark is making out to be a build your own MMO (just like Everquest Next). 

When it is all said and done the only difference is:

Landmark - MMO(s) made by the players.

EverQuest Next - MMO made by SOE

• quseioquseio Member UncommonPosts: 234
    Originally posted by Kyllien

NOT REALLY ONE CLASS,  AND FROM WHAT I HEAR NO QUESTS JUST CRAFTING woops

• KyllienKyllien Member UncommonPosts: 315
    Originally posted by Kyllien

NOT REALLY ONE CLASS,  AND FROM WHAT I HEAR NO QUESTS JUST CRAFTING woops

Straight to the source: https://forums.station.sony.com/landmark/index.php?threads/the-blueprint.26034/

Pay special attention to the third post "Everything after Open Beta Launch"

• xanthmetisxanthmetis Member UncommonPosts: 141

You are correct, but I was talking about the overall game design and what part devs play.

Players won't design/build the Rally Cally that will allow players to build Halas. Devs will design the initial starting area, the "quests" and AI components and will set it all in motion for the most part. From there, yes players can take it down several paths (hopefully). While it is "sandbox" like, it is still very dev controlled and isn't a total freedom system. Guessing you can't build Freeport instead of Halas for example.

But Landmark is supposed to give these tools/systems to players to work with. So a guild could possibly combine 100 claims and then construct their on quest/AI and allow other people to come in and do something with it (Probably on the far end of what's possible, but it is something to shoot for).

I think both have their advantages and will cater to different types of players, with some enjoying both. I think Landmark could lead to some amazing gameplay a ways down the road, but much prefer to play in a world with some sort of premade things to experience. So EQN is my focus, but if Landmark turns out fun and a lot of creative players spend time building amazing things, I won't mind stopping in to try them out.

I thought the recent poll was very interesting that eqn had up on their site whether or not people will be able to had claims like they do in landmark.  That will have a huge impact on the world and the overall atmosphere of the game.  It will be interesting in to see what becomes of this.

Like you said in paragraph #2 the combing of plots like in landmark could create a city like place.  So, if they are to implement something to this affect in EQN than there very well could be different and new cites or a "New FreePort".  For now it is speculation. :)

• Agathos88Agathos88 Member UncommonPosts: 92
    Yes, two very different games from my understanding.

-Prior story writer for MMORPG.com

• GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893
    If EQNext is using the same voxel engine as EQLandmark which is still in alpha , they I can bet that EQNext is totally in concept R&D stage right now . 
  • rogue187rogue187 Member Posts: 151
    Originally posted by Grailer
    If EQNext is using the same voxel engine as EQLandmark which is still in alpha , they I can bet that EQNext is totally in concept R&D stage right now . 

i'd bet further than that..they got everthing from landamrk(technically) in Next..i believe they are  watching player reaction more than anything now...cuz cmon, they have a direction, its just getting us to go in that direction

• Raxxo82Raxxo82 Member UncommonPosts: 150

Originally posted by xanthmetis you were doing pretty good until you got to the part of describing how development will be done it all in eqn... people from ever server will help rebuild cities like halos or w/e.... servers could look compeletly different since the ai responds to what the players do a "smarter ai"... some monsters like to be around people and others dont... on one server they maybe be sucessful rebuilding certain cities and maybe on smaller servers they are not... lets say the bigger server succeeds on creating this city next thing u know there are dragons or beasts attacking that city... you would not see that on lets say a smaller city bc there is no city...  there will be crafting of cites and buildings by players in eqn... it is SANDBOX... 

I thought the recent poll was very interesting that eqn had up on their site whether or not people will be able to had claims like they do in landmark.  That will have a huge impact on the world and the overall atmosphere of the game.  It will be interesting in to see what becomes of this.

Like you said in paragraph #2 the combing of plots like in landmark could create a city like place.  So, if they are to implement something to this affect in EQN than there very well could be different and new cites or a "New FreePort".  For now it is speculation. :)

I highly doubt theyvwill let players own claims with the same freedom as in Landmark. I mean who wants to hunt a pack of orcs through the forrest just to run into a huge dirt fallo someone jusy erected on their claim..