Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The "great" Eve community

Comments

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919

Erotica1 got banned I see .I guess CCP values their reputation in the internet. Cannot allow this to blow up and damage their game . Especially because of the speech impediment thing. Very non pc.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

eve is eve is eve is eve is eve.

and if you want to report/blame someone for doing something in eve.... i suggest you play another game. it's quite simple.

if you can do it. do it.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by taus01
    Just to again point out, this activity is not reflective of the EVE community as a whole, nor is this behavior unique to EVE.

One of the best griefing guilds of all time, the Dark Wolves have been making people miserable and screwing with folks since 1996.

www.darkwolvesgaming.com

Actually it is unique. EvE breeds a special kind of sociopath. One that has an insatiable lust to feed his hubris by publicly humiliating a human being.

No it is not unique to EVE, go look at the videos posted by the DarkWolves, they don't even play EVE to my knowledge, right now they seem to be enjoying permadeath killing players in D3.

EvE breeds these kind of people, it creates more scum on a daily basis. People get scammed and humiliated constantly and the ones that do not rage quit become the new scamers and bottom feeders. Its a cycle of anger and frustration that has created an incredible hostile and antisocial environment. EvE will eventually collapse under this pile of shit.

EVE has been going strong for 10 years, because the majority of it's playerbase are not the scammers, scum and bottom feeders you say they are.  In fact the subject of the OP is a very small minority of vile player who has existed in every online game since they first began.

Posting these humiliating recordings publicly can actually have very real legal consequences. This is not covered by free speech and is crossing into defamation. I would be very careful if i where this Erotica 1 person. This could eventually backfire and become very ugly.

Very true, except the victim in question willing subjected himself to this humiliation, he could have disengaged at any time.  No one forced him to participate, and society is not under an obligation to protect people from themselves, no matter what you might think.

Originally posted by hulgar
    Humans ara antisocial and violent by nature.
    -Hobbes

Wrong. A social environment that rewards violence, greed, gluttony and hubris creates exactly that.

There have been many studies and there are real live examples right now on this planet, that have proven that alternative societies that reward kindness and empathy do not show any signs of violence or antisocial behaviour.

You cannot point to many instances of  human society such as that, and if they did exist, they were torn down by the barbarians at the gates.

This is a common excuse use by people that promote violence and antisocial behaviour.

It's not an excuse, it's just a fact of life, you can fight against it, but never eliminate it.  We live in a fallen world.

Yes sadism is a human trait which some individuals possess. However that is why we have laws and rules to prevent these people to get satisfaction from the misery of others. Sure we can't eliminate it completely but what, if anything, has CCP done to discourage this kind of behavior?

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    I actually applaud CCP for not taking action against this. They chose a hardcore pvp sandbox for their game model where people choose their own roles. Intergalactic scammer is a role. As big a dicks as these guys are it's actually kinda funny and rather cool that this exists. Eve is definitely that one MMO that is in a league of it's own as far as mimicking a real universe goes.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Yamota
    Originally posted by taus01
    Just to again point out, this activity is not reflective of the EVE community as a whole, nor is this behavior unique to EVE.

One of the best griefing guilds of all time, the Dark Wolves have been making people miserable and screwing with folks since 1996.

www.darkwolvesgaming.com

Actually it is unique. EvE breeds a special kind of sociopath. One that has an insatiable lust to feed his hubris by publicly humiliating a human being.

No it is not unique to EVE, go look at the videos posted by the DarkWolves, they don't even play EVE to my knowledge, right now they seem to be enjoying permadeath killing players in D3.

EvE breeds these kind of people, it creates more scum on a daily basis. People get scammed and humiliated constantly and the ones that do not rage quit become the new scamers and bottom feeders. Its a cycle of anger and frustration that has created an incredible hostile and antisocial environment. EvE will eventually collapse under this pile of shit.

EVE has been going strong for 10 years, because the majority of it's playerbase are not the scammers, scum and bottom feeders you say they are.  In fact the subject of the OP is a very small minority of vile player who has existed in every online game since they first began.

Posting these humiliating recordings publicly can actually have very real legal consequences. This is not covered by free speech and is crossing into defamation. I would be very careful if i where this Erotica 1 person. This could eventually backfire and become very ugly.

Very true, except the victim in question willing subjected himself to this humiliation, he could have disengaged at any time.  No one forced him to participate, and society is not under an obligation to protect people from themselves, no matter what you might think.

Originally posted by hulgar
    Humans ara antisocial and violent by nature.
    -Hobbes

Wrong. A social environment that rewards violence, greed, gluttony and hubris creates exactly that.

There have been many studies and there are real live examples right now on this planet, that have proven that alternative societies that reward kindness and empathy do not show any signs of violence or antisocial behaviour.

You cannot point to many instances of  human society such as that, and if they did exist, they were torn down by the barbarians at the gates.

This is a common excuse use by people that promote violence and antisocial behaviour.

It's not an excuse, it's just a fact of life, you can fight against it, but never eliminate it.  We live in a fallen world.

Yes sadism is a human trait which some individuals possess. However that is why we have laws and rules to prevent these people to get satisfaction from the misery of others. Sure we can't eliminate it completely but what, if anything, has CCP done to discourage this kind of behavior?

The same your country and Erotica's does to prevent you from carrying out your bodily harm threats: enact laws to prevent destructive behavior.

• NicoliNicoli Member Posts: 1,312
    Originally posted by Yamota

Very little and frankly they shouldn't. History has shown us that these laws don't really work the way that people expect them too. Take a scale of 1-10 of how "wrong" a group thinks an action is. They start out by making laws against the stuff 8-9+, then people get comfortable with that and the opinion of what is a 10 changes to what was previously a 8 or 9. Then the group creates laws for the new 8-9+ which was the old 6-7. This continues on till you get a group conditioning reducing personal responsibility, which is very unhealthy for the group.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    This was a witch hunt started by Ripard Teg(a member and co-chair of EVE's  CSM), because he has an issue with the player and character of Erotica 1.  Plan and simple.   And those of you that participated in it - pat yourselves on the back...congratulations...you have shown that you can still be duped as easily as ever.   
  • Sal1Sal1 Member UncommonPosts: 430

Do you want training to scam, lie, cheat, decieve, scam and otherwise screw over everyone? Come and get hands on training in our game called Eve Online. lol

Sociopaths and psychopaths get special awards here too. :-P

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    I don't care if the guy who got scammed was stupid or naive. This is a great example of the pathetic community EVE has. This is not the exception, it's the damn norm. And some people jerk off the fact that they screwed someone over. It's pathetic.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by fivoroth
    I don't care if the guy who got scammed was stupid or naive. This is a great example of the pathetic community EVE has. This is not the exception, it's the damn norm. And some people jerk off the fact that they screwed someone over. It's pathetic.

See? EVE is a perfect RL Emulator.

In my corp there is a politician who was complaining about lying and cheating in EVE.

Oh the irony.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• PaskePaske Member UncommonPosts: 135

So basicly, Erotica 1, one of the most exposed scammers has *GASP* scammed someone.

That someone was dumb enough to give them even more assets.

Now they are bu** hurt and write angry posts about it.

You have to understand, EVE is NOT your garden variety game. No one will hold you by your hand while you make your first steppes. No one cares if you toiled for months to get that ISK only to see it blown up/ scammed/ stolen / whatever.

You bought 500$ worh of PLEX, sold it for ISK , got your self 20bil CNR only to get it blown up on Jita undock ? Excuse us while we point and laugh at you.

The game isnt for everyone, it never was and it never said it was. Scamming, stealing, lying, doing what you want or must is all alowed.

Using third party people in order to get intel on your rivals in attempt to steal all their assets and then mock them in public ? More power to you !

You dont like it? May I sugest some other game then. EVE is harsh and doesnt forgive. Adapt or die.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    When people say 'butt hurt', public humiliation' etc I cringe, that's a nasty attitude to carry about in life - and paints eve in a foul light. Scamming is fine, bring obnoxious in a game is just anti social. As for taking into real life, that otherwise known as abuse.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607

Yeah, unfortunately, the game seems to have developed a dog-eat-dog kind of community, which I really have very little interest in. There are basically no safeguards to abusive behavior, and it is very hard to conduct business in a safe manner. The game doesn't even have the infrastructure to support a properly functioning bank. You are basically best off never ever trusting anyone with anything, and that gets pretty tiring after a while. The only people you can properly play the game with is IRL friends. Everyone else has too much of a reason to stab you in the back at some point.

No banks in a sci-fi game. Yeah. Oh, no proper mail, either. Because "sandbox". Yeah, sure.

If you do not take any steps to take care of the community and just let it run loose, you'll get a shitty one. There's nothing "real" about this, since most of us have graduated high school and I daresay live, or want to live, in a better world than EVE.

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

Originally posted by NagelRitter

Yeah, unfortunately, the game seems to have developed a dog-eat-dog kind of community, which I really have very little interest in. There are basically no safeguards to abusive behavior, and it is very hard to conduct business in a safe manner. The game doesn't even have the infrastructure to support a properly functioning bank. You are basically best off never ever trusting anyone with anything, and that gets pretty tiring after a while. The only people you can properly play the game with is IRL friends. Everyone else has too much of a reason to stab you in the back at some point.

No banks in a sci-fi game. Yeah. Oh, no proper mail, either. Because "sandbox". Yeah, sure.

If you do not take any steps to take care of the community and just let it run loose, you'll get a shitty one. There's nothing "real" about this, since most of us have graduated high school and I daresay live, or want to live, in a better world than EVE.

Now I know you've never played this game :), have fun talking from bellend.

And you may want to live in a better world but just like the majority of players in EVE you won't lift a finger to do anything about it for anyone that isn't linked to you. Nothing wrong with that but do not claim superiority when you are just another version of the same thing.

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    When people say 'butt hurt', public humiliation' etc I cringe, that's a nasty attitude to carry about in life - and paints eve in a foul light. Scamming is fine, bring obnoxious in a game is just anti social. As for taking into real life, that otherwise known as abuse.

More than nasty attitude it shows their mental age too. If anything they are just proving the point and how people generally feel about EVE community.

• NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607
    Originally posted by Dihoru

And you may want to live in a better world but just like the majority of players in EVE you won't lift a finger to do anything about it for anyone that isn't linked to you. Nothing wrong with that but do not claim superiority when you are just another version of the same thing.

I have played the game (way too much, at that). I just have very different standards for those services. I expect mail to be 100% functional, without any courier and contract rubbish. Those services should be NPC services. Take something, send it, done. Feel free to attack the NPC service itself, but that service shouldn't be expected of the players, since that opens a gigantic can of worms. EVE does the typical sandbox mistake of thinking players should be guards, peons, and, apparently, mailmen... You do realize that a huge chunk of scams sit atop poorly implemented player-driven mail and bank services, right?

Do anything about what? I guess I hit a nerve attacking your precious EVE community... I don't think you understand how different MMO world dynamics are from real world dynamics. Nobody has to be there, which means anyone who doesn't like it will simply leave, which is precisely why EVE is filled with worst of the worst. I have never scammed or otherwise fucked up any player in EVE, which does make me quite different from the popular chunk of the playerbase. Except I don't play it anymore, because my attitude is not welcome. Nobody in EVE wants to do everything the proper way, they just want to get rich or kill people in mindless PvP battles. And CCP does everything they possibly can to prevent the opposite. If there's one thing I can't control, it's CCP - I can't make them give the game proper trading and fleet controls, or NPC mail.

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

• Aison2Aison2 Member CommonPosts: 624
    Originally posted by Sal1

Do you want training to scam, lie, cheat, decieve, scam and otherwise screw over everyone? Come and get hands on training in our game called Eve Online. lol

It's quite the opposite likewise. EvE trains you to smells scams and exploiters like no other game which has great benefits in real live.

Pi*1337/100 = 42

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Originally posted by Teala
    This was a witch hunt started by Ripard Teg(a member and co-chair of EVE's  CSM), because he has an issue with the player and character of Erotica 1.  Plan and simple.   And those of you that participated in it - pat yourselves on the back...congratulations...you have shown that you can still be duped as easily as ever.   

Or perhaps your own personal viewpoint is clouding your perception of what happened.  So much so that people who agree with CCP's actions must have been duped rather than viewing the event an making up their own minds about what is acceptable and unacceptable behavior.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Originally posted by Paske

So basicly, Erotica 1, one of the most exposed scammers has *GASP* scammed someone.

That someone was dumb enough to give them even more assets.

Now they are bu** hurt and write angry posts about it.

You have to understand, EVE is NOT your garden variety game. No one will hold you by your hand while you make your first steppes. No one cares if you toiled for months to get that ISK only to see it blown up/ scammed/ stolen / whatever.

You bought 500$ worh of PLEX, sold it for ISK , got your self 20bil CNR only to get it blown up on Jita undock ? Excuse us while we point and laugh at you.

The game isnt for everyone, it never was and it never said it was. Scamming, stealing, lying, doing what you want or must is all alowed.

Using third party people in order to get intel on your rivals in attempt to steal all their assets and then mock them in public ? More power to you !

You dont like it? May I sugest some other game then. EVE is harsh and doesnt forgive. Adapt or die.

Gotta love how you and others are still trying to make this about the scam.

THIS. WAS. NEVER. ABOUT. THE. SCAM.

The guy fell for a scam, and I couldn't care less about him losing his in-game property. He made a stupid choice, and in all honesty absolutely deserved to lose said property.

The issue here is the fact that for two hours, several people strung him along with false reassurances & hope with the sole purpose of pushing him to his breaking point for their own sadistic enjoyment. That's the issue here, not the loss of digital property. One would think that would go without saying, but then again perhaps I'm giving the people defending this sort of garbage too much credit.

I hope that, should some of you find yourselves being mugged or bullied some day, the cops simply tell you that , "Life is harsh and doesn't forgive. Adapt or die." Then maybe you'll realize just how ridiculous and disgusting your attitudes are.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    Originally posted by Sal1

if you think antisocial behaviour is unique to eve online... why not google "serenity now"

if you were gaming at the time of that incident you already know what i'm talking about.  It took place in, you know, that other game and was about 100% more meanhearted than any jita money doubling scam.

in eve, at least, scammers scam to gain an advantage that is tangible in game (ISK).

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

I have played the game (way too much, at that). I just have very different standards for those services. I expect mail to be 100% functional, without any courier and contract rubbish. Those services should be NPC services. Take something, send it, done. Feel free to attack the NPC service itself, but that service shouldn't be expected of the players, since that opens a gigantic can of worms. EVE does the typical sandbox mistake of thinking players should be guards, peons, and, apparently, mailmen... You do realize that a huge chunk of scams sit atop poorly implemented player-driven mail and bank services, right?

Do anything about what? I guess I hit a nerve attacking your precious EVE community... I don't think you understand how different MMO world dynamics are from real world dynamics. Nobody has to be there, which means anyone who doesn't like it will simply leave, which is precisely why EVE is filled with worst of the worst. I have never scammed or otherwise fucked up any player in EVE, which does make me quite different from the popular chunk of the playerbase. Except I don't play it anymore, because my attitude is not welcome. Nobody in EVE wants to do everything the proper way, they just want to get rich or kill people in mindless PvP battles. And CCP does everything they possibly can to prevent the opposite. If there's one thing I can't control, it's CCP - I can't make them give the game proper trading and fleet controls, or NPC mail.

So you want less sand in your box (red frog, blue frog and all other dedicated and professional player run services for fair prices) and bitching about it because you cannot be arsed to work around it? Nice to know.

Just like in EVE in the real world sociopaths make it to the top and as for the fleet control... name a game with thousands of players organized that well into groups.

Originally posted by Teala

Did you listen to the recording? Are you telling me it was staged? If not then this "witch-hunt" is warranted and justified. People like that are garbage and belong behind bars or at the very least, banned from using a computer.

So you want less sand in your box (red frog, blue frog and all other dedicated and professional player run services for fair prices) and bitching about it because you cannot be arsed to work around it? Nice to know.

Just like in EVE in the real world sociopaths make it to the top and as for the fleet control... name a game with thousands of players organized that well into groups.

Ehm, in the real world (and no Eve is not real) if you scammed people and made a recording of it, you would go to jail.

So no Eve is not anything like a real world. Unless that world is in anarchy.

Only the very smart sociopaths make it to the top, in real life. Because you have to circumvent all the laws and rules put in place to prevent this kind of behavior.

• MakidianMakidian Member UncommonPosts: 208
    I can't believe this thread is still going lol. Eve ftw !
  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by Makidian
    I can't believe this thread is still going lol. Eve ftw !

For better or worse, players are very passionate about Eve.  Even the people who claim to despise the game can't stop posting about it.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville