Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Blizzard Raises $1M for Make-A-Wish Foundation

Comments

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Volgore

If it was about these poor kids, Blizzard could have donated 1mio and said nothing. There are smaller companies donating ten times as much and you don't read about it in the news.

This is but a promotion. And its not Blizzard who raised the money, its the players. Blizzard is once again just in for the cash.

The million for those kids is a good thing, but looking at the bigger scope of this event, it's a shameless promotion from a company with no morale. It's a commercial gag from a multibillion dollar company that like to get cheered on for "donating" a ridiculous million -that even comes from the players in first place.

And to those who ask "Where is your million then?" -get a reality check. I don't juggle with multimillions, hence i can't donate one -surprise! I'm glad for those kids who hopefully get some benefit of all this, but this gimmick from Blizzard still is a shame.

And if you want to do something good, dont buy crappy pixels for a 50% donation. Rather donate the whole amount directly next time.

No, trust me. Smaller companies than Blizzard don't donate ten times that (10m??). Or do you care to point me to some examples? Cause  I can't even remember a single company donating a 10m.

The company I work for is probably fiften times the size of Blizzard and we don't donate 10m for charity. Not sure if we are actually donating anything :D But evil banks don't donate shit :D

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• BayenBayen Member UncommonPosts: 37
    Originally posted by Beelzebobbie
    Originally posted by Bayen
    Originally posted by nttajira

why they only give 50% ?? creating a virtual item for blizzard cost them 1-2 people work for about a day.....

should be 100% imo

still that a good move they give some money but this cost them NOTHING to make a move like that and that not realy nice to give only 50%.....

not sure what to think about this one honestly. good move, but we know why they do that...and only 50% ....

50% Not enough? Remember Blizzard is a business first before they are anything else, they didn't need to do this at all. If you think giving 50% is too little, why don't you try give 50% of your earnings to charity, then complain about blizzard.

Maybe they did it because they are business first cause they clearly made a nice profit then it's wrong to use donation as a way to make money for yourselves.

Think of it like this: 

I will start a donation to save whatever today and I want all the money you people can give but I will keep 50% of it would that be ok?

Ask the charity that recieved 1 MILLION dollars from Blizzard if thats ok.

• BeelzebobbieBeelzebobbie Member UncommonPosts: 430
    Originally posted by nttajira

why they only give 50% ?? creating a virtual item for blizzard cost them 1-2 people work for about a day.....

should be 100% imo

still that a good move they give some money but this cost them NOTHING to make a move like that and that not realy nice to give only 50%.....

not sure what to think about this one honestly. good move, but we know why they do that...and only 50% ....

50% Not enough? Remember Blizzard is a business first before they are anything else, they didn't need to do this at all. If you think giving 50% is too little, why don't you try give 50% of your earnings to charity, then complain about blizzard.

Maybe they did it because they are business first cause they clearly made a nice profit then it's wrong to use donation as a way to make money for yourselves.

Think of it like this: 

I will start a donation to save whatever today and I want all the money you people can give but I will keep 50% of it would that be ok?

Ask the charity that recieved 1 MILLION dollars from Blizzard if thats ok.

I think the charity that I would donate for would be happy to or wouldn't they? so whats the difference.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

Yes, it's wrong for a business to make money at all off anything...

/sarcasm (in case you didn't catch it)

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Originally posted by Gravarg

Yes, because donating is all about making money.... oh, wait.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Originally posted by fivoroth

No, trust me. Smaller companies than Blizzard don't donate ten times that (10m??). Or do you care to point me to some examples? Cause  I can't even remember a single company donating a 10m.

The company I work for is probably fiften times the size of Blizzard and we don't donate 10m for charity. Not sure if we are actually donating anything :D But evil banks don't donate shit :D

Wrong on too many levels.

Sorry, maybe next time...

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Originally posted by Gravarg

Yes, because donating is all about making money.... oh, wait.

Actually the vast majority of donating is done to save money when tax season comes around...

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    Maybe next time Blizzard should just write a book instead.  Call it "Damned if you do,  Damned if you don't.  A Blizzard Story". They could give 100%, but you know what. It wouldn't matter, people would still bitch and complain about them.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• BeelzebobbieBeelzebobbie Member UncommonPosts: 430
    Originally posted by Roin
    Maybe next time Blizzard should just write a book instead.  Call it "Damned if you do,  Damned if you don't.  A Blizzard Story". They could give 100%, but you know what. It wouldn't matter, people would still bitch and complain about them.

I am not complaining about the donation part just that they are making money doing it, if Blizzard next year would just cover their expensis and give everything else to donation then I would cheer louder then everybody and praise their name. 

Giving a donation is not about making profit, yes they are a business and they are already making lots of profit. When I donate to charity I don't make money doing so if I could then everybody would quit their jobs and just donate money to make a profit. 

I am not saying that the million dollars they gave to charity is bad cause it's not, it's a really good thing I am just debating on the fact that they are donating to make a profit and thats wrong. 

Like I said before if all of you would give me money to donate and I would keep 50% of it would you be ok with this?

Remember that I don't think wow is a bad game thats not why I am writing this, I think it's a good game and I loved the years I had in it. And you people don't have to defend blizzard because you play wow. 

• DeathageDeathage Member CommonPosts: 146

Do some people in Blizzard actually care about helping Make-A-Wish?

Safe bet to say absolutely, yes. Plenty of good people, excited to make a difference.

Is this donation going to be taken into the hands of Blizz's PR-handlers and accoutants, and used to build goodwill and possibly write off the donation?

You bet your sweet asses they will. You just looked over the article, no doubt released to MMORPG.com by some entry-level account coordinator for whoever does Blizzard's PR. 

When dealing with a group of people, especially a conglomerate as huge as Blizzard, its silly to make such a blanket statement as "good" or "bad" in this scenario.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by fivoroth

Wrong on too many levels.

Sorry, maybe next time...

Yep, I agree with your examples and constructive criticism of my post. Ooh wait. Sorry maybe you will be more coherent next time.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

Wow....talk about catch 22

2010: Blizzard donates 1.1 million to Make-A-Wish (50% proceeds) ($10 pet/mount)

2011: Blizzard donates $800,000 to Make-A-Wish (50% proceeds) ($10 pet/mount)

2011: Blizzard donates 1.9 million to Japan earthquake (Red Cross) (100% proceeds) ($10 pet/mount)

2012: Blizzard donates $331,000 to St. Judes (100% proceeds) (Server auction)

2013: Blizzard donates 2.3 million to Sandy Relief (Red Cross) (100% proceeds) ($10 pet/mount)

2013: Blizzard donates 100% proceeds from exploited AH transactions by cheating players to Children's Miracle Hospitals

2014: Blizzard donates 1 million to Make-A-Wish (50% proceeds) ($10 pet/mount)

Those heartless cheap bastards.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100

The truth is most people who sanctimoniously condemn Blizzard haven't donated anything ever.

Chamber of Chains
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Ramonski7

2010: Blizzard donates 1.1 million to Make-A-Wish (50% proceeds) ($10 pet/mount)

2011: Blizzard donates 1.9 million to Japan earthquake (Red Cross) (100% proceeds) ($10 pet/mount)

2013: Blizzard donates 2.3 million to Sandy Relief (Red Cross) (100% proceeds) ($10 pet/mount)

2013: Blizzard donates 100% proceeds from exploited AH transactions by cheating players to Children's Miracle Hospitals

wait, didn't you get the memo, your supposed to be running them down, not highlighting their previous good examples, it throws doubt on the haters arguments, shame on you image

but seriously, how can anyone really hate on Blizzard for trying to do something good, and reminding people that it doesn't have to be all doom and gloom, and that sometimes the 'ulterior motives' are just facilitating peoples desire to help others at a time when they need it most, and giving them a small reward for doing so, maybe some just donated for the in game pets or whatever, but i also believe that many did it because they felt they were helping.

Isn't helping those in need something we should all aspire to, i know i should do more, and just putting a few coins in a collection box for whatever appeal happens to be being run at the local store is only a small thing, but its not really much different, all the proceeds (i hope) are going to a good cause, and isn't that the whole point? image

• BayenBayen Member UncommonPosts: 37

I am not complaining about the donation part just that they are making money doing it, if Blizzard next year would just cover their expensis and give everything else to donation then I would cheer louder then everybody and praise their name. 

Giving a donation is not about making profit, yes they are a business and they are already making lots of profit. When I donate to charity I don't make money doing so if I could then everybody would quit their jobs and just donate money to make a profit. 

I am not saying that the million dollars they gave to charity is bad cause it's not, it's a really good thing I am just debating on the fact that they are donating to make a profit and thats wrong. 

Like I said before if all of you would give me money to donate and I would keep 50% of it would you be ok with this?

Remember that I don't think wow is a bad game thats not why I am writing this, I think it's a good game and I loved the years I had in it. And you people don't have to defend blizzard because you play wow. 

That would be wrong yes.

But if you were a business and decided to make a cute virtual pet for SALE to your customers, and told them that 50% of the profit would go to charity then that is perfectly fine and is a common and accepted practice in today's world.

What you are getting confused with is, Blizzard didn't keep peoples money or donations, Blizzard SOLD A PRODUCT THEY CREATED, and THEY DONATED 50% of THEIR profit.

• HulluckHulluck Member UncommonPosts: 839

People's gripes about this are so petty.  Like bottom of a fish tank scum kind of petty.  Someone decides to point out the obvious.  Then a few rally onto it. Hint: Everyone gains in this. It draws attention to Make A Wish maybe even attracting more private donations.  Blizzard gets to say we care and polish their reputation a little.  I as a customer like to hear such things because it does influence a little as to which company I spend my money with. I admit though negative things have more of a influence.

It's like the cancer thing that came up that someone started a donation run for. It was put in the news here. People bitched about it. Even though it was a game dev for a MMO company, "what does that have to do with MMO's."  The staff here actually had to lock that thread.   What is wrong with some of you, seriously.

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    Originally posted by Hulluck

People's gripes about this are so petty.  Like bottom of a fish tank scum kind of petty.  Someone decides to point out the obvious.  Then a few rally onto it. Hint: Everyone gains in this. It draws attention to Make A Wish maybe even attracting more private donations.  Blizzard gets to say we care and polish their reputation a little.  I as a customer like to hear such things because it does influence a little as to which company I spend my money with. I admit though negative things have more of a influence.

It's like the cancer thing that came up that someone started a donation run for. It was put in the news here. People bitched about it. Even though it was a game dev for a MMO company, "what does that have to do with MMO's."  The staff here actually had to lock that thread.   What is wrong with some of you, seriously.

Could not agree more. One has to be really petty and miserable to try to spin something good like this into bad.  Such sad people..they want to pull everyone else down into pit of misery with them.

• ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785

To all Blizzard haters: Please, link any news your game publisher/dev done at least 1 charity?

If you do really care, screw Blizzard and donate 100%.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Good on them.  At least THIS million didn't go to another Kerrigan statue for the lobby. :p
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Wonderful news. Even if people were purchasing the pet just to have it. Still glad that they bought it.

Yes, its wonderful that Blizzard put in an hour of work to create that pet and made 1mio on sick children.

They made 1 million FOR sick children. And you have absolutely no idea of how much work went into this, and what Blizzard's overhead is after the creation, marketing, and sales processing which go along with this program. Good god in heaven, you people will stop at nothing to justify your irrational hatred of corporations, won't you? Grow up.

I say good on Blizzard. For those questioning their motives I will simply say that there's no possible way to know if this was done out of purely altruistic motives, or for a tax write-off & a bit of advertising / PR. I think the truth is somewhere between the two extremes, but regardless of that I really doubt the charity or the kids give a rat's ass about what Blizzard's possible motives could have been.

A million for sick kids is a million for sick kids.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• JeleenaJeleena Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Originally posted by Ramonski7

+1 great post. 

• MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member RarePosts: 689
    im glad blizz did this but honestly...if that pet is to raise money for MaWF should it not be a 100% ratio? considering that was the intended goal? but since only 50% went to them that means bliz made 1mill off the deal as well. I remember sony did it once and 100% of the item went to the charity. One thing people do not understand is donating to make a wish or others like it is a nice tax write off as well.

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813
    Originally posted by Kilrane
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Every year blizzard raises money for make a wish and every year the douche bags on this forum try it make it out to be somehow a bad thing.

Pretty much this -.-

Not to mention all of the other companies and corporations that do the same thing on a daily basis, like the pink ribbon emblem on the side of products with a pledge to donate a mere 10% of their proceeds to women's breast cancer research, yet people buy into that all of the time without a word.

Haters gonna hate.

• Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530
    You go Blizz... Keep it up.
  • Raxxo82Raxxo82 Member UncommonPosts: 150
    Originally posted by jbombard

If it was a charity, they would give 100% to Make a Wish.  It isn't charity it is a sales promotion.  It gets people to feel better about buying something so they buy things they normally wouldn't.  It brings in more sales.  It gets people who don't like online stores used to using them "for the children".  They count on the fact that once people start using the store they will spend more and more.

^ This! Its incredible how blind ppl are. Blizz stands in the spotlight smiling and waving in their new superman cape, just to turn around, pull down your pants and let you have it. And most of you wowers have been getting it for so long by Blizzards that youve gotten used to it and have stopped thinking and asking questions. How can thia be a bad thing? If u cant see that you deserve whatever Blizzard handa you.