Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Blizzard Raises $1M for Make-A-Wish Foundation

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Last fall, World of Warcraft players had the opportunity to purchase the Alterac Valley Brew Pup with 50% of the purchase amount going to the Make-A-Wish Foundation. Today, Blizzard announced that a cool one million dollars was given to Make-A-Wish on behalf of the company's players.

Thanks to the epic outpouring of generosity from World of Warcraft players around the world who purchased an Alterac Brew Pup pet, we’ve raised $1 million to benefit Make-A-Wish in their continuing efforts to grant the wishes of children throughout the world with life-threatening medical conditions.

Last November, we announced that 50% of the Alterac Brew Pup’s $10 purchase price would be donated to Make-A-Wish, and the WoW community rushed in to lend their support. Thanks again for helping to make a difference in the lives of children.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    Wonderful news. Even if people were purchasing the pet just to have it. Still glad that they bought it.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Originally posted by Roin
    Wonderful news. Even if people were purchasing the pet just to have it. Still glad that they bought it.

Yes, its wonderful that Blizzard put in an hour of work to create that pet and made 1mio on sick children.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Every year blizzard raises money for make a wish and every year the douche bags on this forum try it make it out to be somehow a bad thing.
  • jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598
    If it was a charity, they would give 100% to Make a Wish.  It isn't charity it is a sales promotion.  It gets people to feel better about buying something so they buy things they normally wouldn't.  It brings in more sales.  It gets people who don't like online stores used to using them "for the children".  They count on the fact that once people start using the store they will spend more and more.
  • DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402
    this would impress me if blizzard donated 10% of 1 month sub profit to make a wish.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    No it still wouldn't impress you. People will still twist it into something bad. 
  • ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

Make a wish is getting money to help them out...why can't that be a good thing?????

sheesh

Originally posted by Thorkune

Make a wish is getting money to help them out...why can't that be a good thing?????

sheesh

Because hating Blizzard is more important. Some people live just to pull everyone else down.

• KilraneKilrane Member UncommonPosts: 322
    Originally posted by DamonVile

Every year blizzard raises money for make a wish and every year the douche bags on this forum try it make it out to be somehow a bad thing.

Pretty much this -.-
  • MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    +1 Blizzard
  • Sajman01Sajman01 Member Posts: 204
    I don't think it's right to use dying kids as advertisements for your cash shop.

But the million dollar donation still deserves an applause.
  • RanyrRanyr Member UncommonPosts: 212
    People booing on this donation: Where's your million at?
  • BeelzebobbieBeelzebobbie Member UncommonPosts: 430

I also think of it as sales pitch, how ever I love the fact that they are raising money to the make a wish foundation but I think of it like this. I think they added a dog or something that people could buy in there game shop. If they were generous then they would have taken the money to cover expenses for making this dog and then given the rest to charity. But they made a big profit on this pet thing and thats wrong.

However they could have kept it all so by blizzards greed standards it's generous.

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    By many people on this forum they are very generous...most here want everything and to pay nothing.
  • HulluckHulluck Member UncommonPosts: 839
    Great charity, well established. Shouldn't be any doubt what that money helps them do. Blizzard used their services and influence to fund a donation larger than I'd ever be able to give most likely.    Bad?
  • jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598
    Originally posted by Hulluck
    Great charity, well established. Shouldn't be any doubt what that money helps them do. Blizzard used their services and influence to fund a donation larger than I'd ever be able to give most likely.    Bad?

Of course it's a good thing.  People should just be realistic about *why* Blizzard does it.  What would be interesting if Blizzard put an item in their shop that costs $25, 100% goes to the charity but no mount or pet.  Then see how many people really care about the charity and how many people care about the mount.  Really I don't think 100% of the first week of profits for a new mount/pet would cost them that much as they would still make back all of the costs, but once again it isn't about charity or breaking even, it is about them making money.  That isn't bad or good, it just is what it is.  Still for the kids it's great, even if Blizzard's motivation isn't.

• Agathos88Agathos88 Member UncommonPosts: 92
    Good news!

-Prior story writer for MMORPG.com

• BayenBayen Member UncommonPosts: 37
    Originally posted by nttajira

why they only give 50% ?? creating a virtual item for blizzard cost them 1-2 people work for about a day.....

should be 100% imo

still that a good move they give some money but this cost them NOTHING to make a move like that and that not realy nice to give only 50%.....

not sure what to think about this one honestly. good move, but we know why they do that...and only 50% ....

50% Not enough? Remember Blizzard is a business first before they are anything else, they didn't need to do this at all. If you think giving 50% is too little, why don't you try give 50% of your earnings to charity, then complain about blizzard.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    I usually have bad things to say about Blizz, but not now----BRAVO Blizzard
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Originally posted by jbombard
    Originally posted by Hulluck

Of course it's a good thing.  People should just be realistic about *why* Blizzard does it.  What would be interesting if Blizzard put an item in their shop that costs $25, 100% goes to the charity but no mount or pet.  Then see how many people really care about the charity and how many people care about the mount.  Really I don't think 100% of the first week of profits for a new mount/pet would cost them that much as they would still make back all of the costs, but once again it isn't about charity or breaking even, it is about them making money.  That isn't bad or good, it just is what it is.  Still for the kids it's great, even if Blizzard's motivation isn't.

Does it matter.  Most give only for the tax breaks.  True charity with no reward is very rare in my opinion.  Most are looking for something in return.  Whether that be appearance or physical item.  People here complain when it is someone else's money, but I bet they would not give 100% of some profit for charity where they get nothing in return.

• Musket-SquidMusket-Squid Member UncommonPosts: 386
    1 mil to them is like 10 cents or 10 dollars. Im sure they will claim it on taxes so they will make out on it even more.

How many delicate flowers have you met in Counterstrike?

I got a case of beer and a chainsaw waiting for me at home after work.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

If it was about these poor kids, Blizzard could have donated 1mio and said nothing. There are smaller companies donating ten times as much and you don't read about it in the news.

This is but a promotion. And its not Blizzard who raised the money, its the players. Blizzard is once again just in for the cash.

The million for those kids is a good thing, but looking at the bigger scope of this event, it's a shameless promotion from a company with no morale. It's a commercial gag from a multibillion dollar company that like to get cheered on for "donating" a ridiculous million -that even comes from the players in first place.

And to those who ask "Where is your million then?" -get a reality check. I don't juggle with multimillions, hence i can't donate one -surprise! I'm glad for those kids who hopefully get some benefit of all this, but this gimmick from Blizzard still is a shame.

And if you want to do something good, dont buy crappy pixels for a 50% donation. Rather donate the whole amount directly next time.

• fhnw1988fhnw1988 Member Posts: 64

like some already stated its not for the children, its for their own pocket. For a 10y old game making still this much money is impressive (although, 2mil is nothing for a big company)

But lets look the otherway around:

Every dollar that is spend for charity is good for the company because they spend less taxes.

ANd thats exactly what they aimed for - children? good and right but to make a fuss about small amounts of money while they clearly had in mind to lower the taxes- is jsut fucking poor.

Originally posted by fhnw1988

like some already stated its not for the children, its for their own pocket. For a 10y old game making still this much money is impressive (although, 2mil is nothing for a big company)

But lets look the otherway around:

Every dollar that is spend for charity is good for the company because they spend less taxes.

ANd thats exactly what they aimed for - children? good and right but to make a fuss about small amounts of money while they clearly had in mind to lower the taxes- is jsut fucking poor.

Yes a company with turn over in millions is going to go through all the trouble to save taxes for such a paltry sum.

You guys try too hard to make even good deeds look bad.

• BeelzebobbieBeelzebobbie Member UncommonPosts: 430
    Originally posted by Bayen
    Originally posted by nttajira

why they only give 50% ?? creating a virtual item for blizzard cost them 1-2 people work for about a day.....

should be 100% imo

still that a good move they give some money but this cost them NOTHING to make a move like that and that not realy nice to give only 50%.....

not sure what to think about this one honestly. good move, but we know why they do that...and only 50% ....

50% Not enough? Remember Blizzard is a business first before they are anything else, they didn't need to do this at all. If you think giving 50% is too little, why don't you try give 50% of your earnings to charity, then complain about blizzard.

Maybe they did it because they are business first cause they clearly made a nice profit then it's wrong to use donation as a way to make money for yourselves.

Think of it like this: 

I will start a donation to save whatever today and I want all the money you people can give but I will keep 50% of it would that be ok?