Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The "great" Eve community

Comments

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Originally posted by Hazelle
    Originally posted by Teala
    Originally posted by FlyByKnight
    Originally posted by Kwansei

You wanted a sandbox, you got one. Man/Woman up. 

This is basically like a person going into a bad neighborhood to buy some crack, and calling the police because they got soap shavings.  The person who got duped is a dope, and is lucky it's "just a game".

The fact the person who wrote the blog uses the word "torture" is so ignorant and melodramatic.  Torture is when you don't have ANY control. Power the PC down nerds.  Time to go outside.

So following this line of logic sandbox MMORPGs are equatable to bad, drug-ridden  neighborhoods? No wonder the AAA market doesn't want to touch em :)

Now forgive me if I am wrong here, as I haven't seen/heard the video and am going off of what I could get here and I might be wrong about the recording being posted w/o the knowledge of the guy who was scammed .

What bothers me most about this is the fact (though I find the act itself in very poor morals) is  that that after pulling the scam the scammer then proceeds to shame his prey by secretly recording and then sharing and calling attention to the act. How is that not cyber-bullying? What other purpose does posting a recording of the scam online, which obviously must be of great embarassment to the guy who got scammed,  than to make him suffer? Though I won't go as far as to call this torture, the poster above argues that torture can only happen when one has no control. The guy who got scammed here has no control over this recording getting out. This is, in my opinion, is what makes the scammer scum.

oh well just my 2 copper.

The guy who got caught with his pants down was marked out from the beginning.  This wasn't his first time. He wasn't made to do anything.  He brought all this mess on himself because everything from the beginning was avoidable. If he was scammed he could have reported it and dealt with it that way, but again... he KNEW he was wrong and he got beat.  The whole nerd rage, racial slurs, and death threats... he knew he was wrong for that too. 

He finally realizes what an ass he's made of himself from being worked over, AND going full retard and he wanted it all to go away.  That's not the issue.

The problem is, now some Nancy Grace type throws the poor mark out on front street telling their story without any regard for if the "victim" wants to be laughed at again for being a dunce.  The blogger uses words like "torture" and "monster" and all types of foolishness to get everybody worked up and get the scammer banned.  Not because of what happened but because of some previous vendetta.  How genuine. Well it apparently worked.

Guess what?  The guy that got scammed is still gullible and marked out and now people like myself who could care less about EVE, know about it.  Who's fault is that?  Find that person and point the outrage that way.

Report it?  You obviously don't play eve.

Scamming is acceptable gameplay in eve online with both CCP and the majority of players myself included.

It was never about the victim or the scam.

We don't need players confusing real life with our virtual world and when someone fails to understand the difference they need to go until they get it.

It allows us the right to say "calm down it's just a video game".

The victim is supposed to be an avatar not the player and this incident made the victim the player and ultimately prevents us from saying it's just a video game.

Scamming is okay because it just a video game.

Piracy is okay because it's just a video game.

Espionage is okay because it's just a video game.

Extortion is okay because it's just a video game.

We pay for a subscription to access the game and need to abide by the rules set by the developers.

It's not really scamming or piracy or espionage or extortion because CCP's ownership is absolute.

This incident went way too far and became real life harrassment and at that point it stopped being a part of the game.

"internet spaceships are serious business" is a double edged sword.

Oh you mean like this real life incident of "real" harassment that took place in and outside of game that CCP did nothing about, that took place before the Sohkar incident.

http://remielpollardlives.blogspot.com.au/2014/03/temporary-close.html

Note the GM's response.   

Yet, that is exactly what they did with the Erotica 1 incident.  They took a blog post and made it relevant.   Then they took a recording from a 3rd party sight and made it relevant.  I'd say CCP has a double standard, and I'd also say that CCP made the call to ban Erotica 1 because it was causing too much bad publicity - not because of what they did.

Did the dude admit to it in a public arena and confirm the harrassment?  Do you know who did that?

It's not the victim accusing here it's erotica himself gleefully cutting his own throat.

Still think it's the same?

CCP couldn't take action on it due to a lack of proof.

There's overwhelming proof in this case.

Well, please point out this harassment to me in the Erotica 1 issue.   I still do not see it. 

Also, there is plenty of in game and out of game evidence to show the real harassment in this case.  And it is funny that CCP says they can't do anything about evidence in the 3rd party, yet that is "exactly" what they did in Erotica's case.  http://remielpollardlives.blogspot.com.au/2014/03/temporary-close.html

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967

"Hey babe, remember that person who scammed me the first time?"

"Yeah, you're an idiot for that"

"Hahah yeah well he scammed me again and this time I lost everything"

"Good, you play that game too much as it is... come to bed"

"Hold on, I'm going to join the person who just scammed me in TeamSpeak!"

"Do you think that's a good idea? They could be recording you to get more laughs"

"Of course, why would they do that? I'm a great judge of online character... clearly!"

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    This joke will be over on April 1.  Don't worry.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • HazelleHazelle Member Posts: 760

Also, there is plenty of in game and out of game evidence to show the real harassment in this case.  And it is funny that CCP says they can't do anything about evidence in the 3rd party, yet that is "exactly" what they did in Erotica's case.  http://remielpollardlives.blogspot.com.au/2014/03/temporary-close.html

CCP is a video game company.

CCP is not interpol.

CCP is not the NSA.

CCP is not...  Do I really need to continue?

CCP doesn't have the ability to subpoena people or evidence.

CCP doesn't have the ability to force another company to cooperate with their GMs.

Although, if a fish jumps into the boat CCP can definitely whack it with an oar.

• RorhcRorhc Member UncommonPosts: 115

Oh, are you leaving the internets?

zing!

This could end up being very interesting.

CCP is not interpol.

CCP is not the NSA.

CCP doesn't have the ability to force another company to cooperate with their GMs.

Although, if a fish jumps into the boat CCP can definitely whack it with an oar.

Yes, make excuses for CCP.  It's the only argument you have left.

• wakatackwakatack Member UncommonPosts: 7

Well, please point out this harassment to me in the Erotica 1 issue.   I still do not see it. 

Where I believe the line was crossed, was not the scamming, or even the out of game bonus room / team speak portion.Its not even when the made the person crack and go on the massive raging rant (although I don't like any of it).The line was crossed when the team speak session including the raging rant was published to the wider Internet.

This might come as a shock, but according a June 2012 publication, there are 2.5 billion Internet connected people; out of the 7 billion+ people on the planet.

Having a small group of people record a person making an ass of themselves is nothing more then school-yard-bullying. But publicising this so the world can listen, is harassment, that under allot of countries would actually come with jail time if successfully prosecuted through the courts of law.

The Internet is FOREVER, and wether the person involved has any medical related reasons behind the outburst, will not stop them being judged forever for the one raging rant.

I am really sorry, and sadden that yourself and others find it so hard to see the difference between exploiting the greedy, and harassment...  its not even a blurred line, it could almost not get any clearer then this example we are all talking about.

Kind Regards

Originally posted by Rorhc

Oh, are you leaving the internets?

zing!

Yes. But first you have to join me in TeamSpeak and play a game of singing songs and reading things for 2 hours and 17 minutes.

zing-est!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778

You won't see it because you are devoid of any kind of apathy. Its ok some people are just born that way. We all get it now. No wonder you are so furiously defending Erotica 1 for almost 2 days. Even if he wouldn't bother to so one wonders what is your stake in this whole issue.

Puts a big question mark on your own behaviour in EVE online and in real life while dealing with people who are not that smart and are naive or stupid.

CCP is not interpol.

CCP is not the NSA.

Why did you send me that email threatening to harm me?

I'm going to report this to MMORPG.com with a screenshot of it.

I hope you get banned from this site.

You've crossed the line. image

Of course, I'm way too lazy to do any of that, but my point is that an accusation means nothing on the internetz which unfortunately is all that blogger has.

Erotica's own voice condemns him.  He confirmed it after the fact.

CCP is not interpol.

CCP is not the NSA.

Of course, I'm way too lazy to do any of that, but my point is that an accusation means nothing on the internetz which unfortunately is all that blogger has.

You serious?

Originally posted by Whitebeards

You won't see it because you are devoid of any kind of apathy. Its ok some people are just born that way. We all get it now. No wonder you are so furiously defending Erotica 1 for almost 2 days. Even if he wouldn't bother to so one wonders what is your stake in this whole issue.

Puts a big question mark on your own behaviour in EVE online and in real life while dealing with people who are not that smart and are naive or stupid.

People should be more concerned with the fact that this special needs person is supposedly a Russian air traffic controller in the USA who hates Americans (his words not mine).

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • RorhcRorhc Member UncommonPosts: 115

Empathy was the word you were looking for. Kind of changes your sentence.

But like I posted before....apathy....it's fannnntastic!*

*This statement is not actually a true statement due to the poster being not so sincere.

This could end up being very interesting.

CCP is not interpol.

CCP is not the NSA.

You serious?

No, but after a few minutes with adobe illustrator I could have in my hand enough proof to satisfy her banning herself from this website and possibly convicting herself of harassment if she happened to be a juror at her own trial.

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

Originally posted by Delerious1
    Bad behaviour?  Like a guy that claims to be suffering from PTSD, and is in control of planes - planes that have real people on them - in the real world - this is A OK!  A guy that goes into a racial tirade is a good person?   I guy that threatens to come to a persons house to hurt them?  I guy that threatens your family members?   This is a good person?  Yes...rejoice and praise the goodness of the guy that got scammed - he is a frikking saint! There is a HUGE difference between the actions and behavior of Erotica and the resultant outburst elicited from his methodical abuse. That you point out the egregiously deceived and mentally abused victim's stress response in defense of the antagonist says a lot about your moral compass. You can in no way condone the antagonist's behavior because of the victim's response.  The response was elicited on purpose and methodically brought to fruition.  

Wait...what?  This so called victim allowed himself to get scammed.  End of story.  He freely participated in it of his own free will.   Stop making excuses for his actions and behavior.  He was greedy and stupid.   You can't candy coat this - it is exactly that.    

Also, this guy you are defending admits to having PTSD and is an air traffic controller in real life and he puts peoples lives in danger daily because of his problem and you think that is OK?  That is not  a game - that is real world.  

Did reasoning and common sense just get thrown away in the last couple of days? 

Very few of the people here that are known eve players seem to have a problem with the scam.

What we are saying is that the systematic humiliation of the player is not a valid part of eve's gameplay.

You appear to be allowing your emotions about the "victim's" racist rant to cloud your judgement of the tormentors.

Tormentors? 

Hehehe....please...all the guy had to do was sign off....like this....

Interestingly just like 'the guy' you could not quite bring yourself to (sign off that is).
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Cannot...stop...getting...involved...didn't...even...want...to...vote...must...talk...at...the...neighborhood...watch...meeting...

oh...why...don't...I...have...any...apathy?!?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

CCP is not interpol.

CCP is not the NSA.

In the real world, in courts and such people can get by on technicalities.  This is a good thing because it ensures that the police are doing their jobs.  The judget can't make a ruling and tell the jury to convict anyway even though there is a lack of the right kind of evidence or the evidence was obtained illegally.

CCP is just a company, so they can look at people who want to get as close to the line of breaking the rules without going over as potential trouble and ban them.  This is good because there are really smart people who like nothing better than getting really close to the line and cause no end of trouble.  This is bad because they could ban someone who doesn't need to be banned.

There are other things that might be happening here too, of which we are not aware.  Suppose they contact the parties involved, and one party is apologetic, says they are responsible for their own actions and they'll try to do better in the future (whether they mean this or not), and the other party is unapologetic, quotes the rules at the CSMs, says the rule are responsible or the other parties are responsible and they can't guarantee they won't do the same things again because they aren't breaking any rules that they are aware of.  Which party is more likely to get a second chance and which one is more likely to get banned?  We wouldn't know about any of this though, only the parties involved would know about it.

People are attacking or defending the parties involved without having a complete picture of everything that's happened.  We will never have the most important piece of information because CCP will never discuss it with us.  If Erotica1 actually got banned, they did something that CCP found objectionable enough to ban the player.  sohkar did not do something that CCP found objectionable enough to ban the player.  That's all we really know about the ban, if it even actually happened.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by lizardbones

Cannot...stop...getting...involved...didn't...even...want...to...vote...must...talk...at...the...neighborhood...watch...meeting...

oh...why...don't...I...have...any...apathy?!?

Don't mock me brah!!

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919

They talk about mens rea which is the intention part of a crime for instance over the actual act , actus reus . People say things out of anger because they get pushed to it. The more insidious part and even the law recognizes this is the intention. What Erotica1 intended was the humiliation and degradation of a person and to push him to the extent that he got the result he wanted. That is what happened the racial slurs and threats were the exact result Erotica1 was going for. That explosion on the part of Sohkar came at the end of a sting operation when he was cornered and completely demolished. I am not surprised at all at Sohkar's reaction but what I find really scary is how Erotica1 used the guy's speech impediments among other things to break and bring down a human being. A living breathing person not a video game avatar.

It is not a few minutes thing it built up over 1 hour and 40 minutes. That is the mind , the intention of someone deliberately doing this to another human being. Yes Sohkar could have walked away at any time but the hold Erotica1 had was they guys assets. You know there is a reason why the law looks at mens rea more than actus because it is the intention that is truly the culprit. You do not need to shout and become abusive to be truly good at what Erotica1 does, he just toyed with Sohkar and used him for his fun and the way he did it makes me truly afraid of what he really is in real life.

Does anyone here honestly think that Sohkar meant any of his angry rant that he would find them and kill them ? Does anyone here have any doubt that Erotica1 set out deliberately to systematically destroy another person ?

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

You know in some Middle Eastern countries, they actually stone rape victims to death because they see the rape as being the woman's fault because she was 'too tempting', or some other such nonsense. I think some of you people defending Erotica 1's treatment of another human being (stringing him along with false hope and manipulating him into doing things until he snapped) would feel right at home there.

No, I'm not equating what E1 did to rape. I'm merely pointing out that people trying to place the blame solely on Sokhar's shoulders (criminalizing the victim) most certainly share that type of back-asswards mindset, and would probably enjoy being with like-minded people. Wasn't going to explain that (it's fairly self-evident IMO), but then I remembered what forum I was posting to.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• calranthecalranthe Member UncommonPosts: 359

This is why I play EVE, while I myself do not scam, I enjoy living in a universe without limits, I survive in a game where my own common sense and abilities are tested.

Worse are the people calling for "broken legs" the meta game and scamming are part of the game, this person chose to become part of that game to live within that world, one read up on crime and punishment part of eves forum is an education.

Stay with your "safe" games and cuddle your teddy at night.

I play in a world with pointy sharp objects and do not need bubble rap to keep me safe.

• MakidianMakidian Member UncommonPosts: 208
    Originally posted by calranthe

This is why I play EVE, while I myself do not scam, I enjoy living in a universe without limits, I survive in a game where my own common sense and abilities are tested.

Worse are the people calling for "broken legs" the meta game and scamming are part of the game, this person chose to become part of that game to live within that world, one read up on crime and punishment part of eves forum is an education.

I play in a world with pointy sharp objects and do not need bubble rap to keep me safe.

Couldnt have said it better. +1

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by calranthe

agreed here !

if player can't accept game play without limitations should move out  , not crying.

brw. when I am lost my first battleship I am almost cry  in my privacy

• DarSepkiDarSepki Member Posts: 51

I have held back posting about this subject hoping it will blow over soon. It hasn't. While the original purpose was noble this has turned into a witch hunt, pure and simple. The fact that the OP couldn't post without expressing desire of inflicting bodily harm is an indicator that he is too far affected by his emotions to make a reasonable case against Ero 1 or the Eve community as a whole.

This whole thing started with Jester's blog where he threw the whole thing in the open, then pubicly shunned Ero 1 for his actions, calling it torture. As many follow his blog, they took this as an opportunity to take up arms and fling their hatred around. The labeling, the name calling, and the posts filled with hate I assumed that the bonus room must have been a terrible place where the victim was placed in a high stress situation. Then I listen to the recording. My opinion changed dramatically, Sohkar had enough warning, and even questioned what he was putting himself through. Then after that he completely lost it and in is rage attempted to throw as many insults as he could.

Yet the witch hunt continued, even when the victim of said hunt attempted to stop it:

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=4404332#post4404332

"i just got off the TS with erotica 1 and i did this to try to put a end to all this stuff people are putting out there and get how i felt about everything. I think all you people need to drop it. the "bonus room" happened over a month ago. Ask yourself why is it now just coming out now? if it wasnt for the article written about it no one would know or care. I know some of you said its not about erotica 1 or myself and you maybe right but what is it about then that people got scam it happens all the time even in RL. I got scammed and made an fool of myself in the process he did not ask me to do anything that would personalize me to people i dont know other then by my voice. Scamming and bonus rooms are not the problem until it makes someone hurt then selfs or others til then you may not agree with mine bumping or scamming then dont do it. Just because you dont agree with it doesnt make it a crime"

The fact that Ero 1 and Sohkar are speaking to each other and agreeing the situation has gone way out of hand means something. Needless to say my respect for both of them as human beings has improved over the course of reading about this situation.