Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2's combat system is boring, zerg everything, why do people want that?

1235»

Comments

• Sk1ppeRSk1ppeR Member Posts: 511
    Originally posted by BearKnight

Compared to EQ1, EQ2, WoW, DAOC, GW1, etc....GW2's combat system is of the most boring.

Tanks/Healers/Control don't actually exist, so everyone ends up being DPS with healing/control/armor side-speccing abilities. This just ends up with everyone being an amalgamation of everything rolled into a DPS class that just spams their 8 hotkeys until whatever it is, is dead.

"World Bosses" in GW2 are a joke, they stand still while flashy "Aimpoints" show you where to attack while the boss throws out scripted event attacks every X amount of HP or after X amount of time has passed, rinse, repease. Every World Boss encounter I fought in was the most boring thing ever. Shiny effects everywhere with 50+ people just spamming all their abilities without a care in the world about adds. Someone goes down, a random stranger comes up and "Rezes" you during combat, continue with hotkey spam. Far too easy, no soul, no thought behind it, just spam spam spam click click click, next target.

Is this REALLY where the industry is going? Wildstar, and now EQ:N? 

It seems like we're going backwards, devolving into nothing more than a browser-based action RPG with pretty lights.

Must be just me :(

Your initial sentence is quite the FUD. 

About the tank/healers/control you should really check out a hammer warrior/guardian and guardian for tanking and for healing, again, guardians and elementalists and engineers built for support. Also if we're still on the "ERHMAGHERD I NEED TRINITY" point, I think we can all agree that trinity is only possible because of poor AI. Imagine if your tank couldn't taunt and instead the mobs focused your healer and squishy dps, what then hm? All trinity games have shitty mob AI then you blame Gw2 for having AI a little bit above average. 

And about the world bosses, please do tell me how every raid boss in a favorite MMO of yours is not exactly the same? Oh wait, in Gw2 you don't just mindlessly spam skills while the tank is tanking, nope. In Gw2 you have to actually dodge from time to time and/or counter/block. If you are refering to the starting world bosses, you really need to stop doing Queensdale train. It really ruins the experience. You should really try Tequatl and the great jungle wurm, then you speak of mechanics :) 

Are you actually using traits? Do you know what build synergy is? Have you heard of condition mitigation? 

I mean sure, Gw2 doesn't punish you for being retard with the combat and with the right build you can faceroll almost any opponent while standing statically infront of it, but that is something ANet is addressing with the future feature packs. That doesn't mean the game will become more punishing BUT certain builds will be nerfed. 

Guild Wars 2 is a jewel, a jewel that you can enjoy at your own terms. No paywalls, no tricks, no nothing. You simply log-in and have fun. Idk where all this negativity comes from. I doubt I will make you feel any better if I paste you youtube links of at least a hundred skilled players. Maybe the game is not for you? To each their own but for the most part, Gw2 is one of the most brilliant games available on the market today, including upcoming releases, whether AAA or indy. 

• BeelzebobbieBeelzebobbie Member UncommonPosts: 430
    Originally posted by Mahavishnu

@Piechunks

In WoW you just stand around using your rotation you got from your guide. Although there is trinity in dungeons nobody cares, nobody cares even about boss-mechanics, because with the right gear everything is easy-mode. Oh, then there is raiding. While raiding you use even less abilities, but you have addons the tell you what you have to do in certain situations.

In GW2 I am constantly dodging using all my abilities, changing weapons and having tons of fun, even if it is just killing some stupid mobs. But even in the open you encounter regularily very dangerous mobs, that you can kill, if you play your char(r) correctly. In WoW I often was fighting more against not falling asleep than against the enemies.

I agree with this, I remember talking on the phone, microwaving food, watching tv as the same time as I was healing in wow. I am not saying wow is bad but with all the addons the next step is an addon that will push the buttons for you in the right order all you have to do is choose if you want to roll on the loot or not.

It's not gonna get harder with wow since you can just buy your way to a top level and skip the mmo part of the game soon and that just sucks.  

I loved wow in the early days when it was harder, just doin a HC 5 man dungeon was a challenge this for me was the peak of the game. While I agree and disagree with GW2 being easy I can say this, yes it's and easy game for some parts. You can solo alot, big zerges on world bosses is easy but then the newer events usually requires tactics, nobody can say that the Three headed Jungle wurm is easy cause it's hard. You have to coordinate with a 100ppl on what to do and that ain't easy, sure if it was a raid in GW2 instanced based then it would be easier but it's not, it's i world boss with lots of people that do everything wrong or don't give a shit just there to get the achievement and so on. This makes it hard, same with tequatl and the twisted marrionette event was harder aswell just because some people don't listen.

And since this was about the combat mechanics you can't really compair GW2 with WOW cause the are so different. GW2 is actionbased so you have to dodge and use suroundings alot if you face hard apponents. While in wow everything is gonna hit you if it's launched towards you your only chance is to have a "reflection skill" or something to press.

Even though I love GW2 and it's the game for me I miss playing a healer and while you don't have the "trinity" in GW2 you still have some form of it, I have tanks that can rush and stand in the frontline taking punishment forever without dying and I have a water spec elementalist that is pretty much as close to a healer as you can get. If everyone was Beserk geared only nothing hard could be done in GW2 at all, you still need you support classes alot like healers and tanks even if Anet says they don't exsist :)

Not saying that there is no skill to wow cause there is it's just to different to compaire.

I think it all comes down to a matter of taste and nothing else.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

Compared to EQ1, EQ2, WoW, DAOC, GW1, etc....GW2's combat system is of the most boring.

Tanks/Healers/Control don't actually exist, so everyone ends up being DPS with healing/control/armor side-speccing abilities. This just ends up with everyone being an amalgamation of everything rolled into a DPS class that just spams their 8 hotkeys until whatever it is, is dead.

"World Bosses" in GW2 are a joke, they stand still while flashy "Aimpoints" show you where to attack while the boss throws out scripted event attacks every X amount of HP or after X amount of time has passed, rinse, repease. Every World Boss encounter I fought in was the most boring thing ever. Shiny effects everywhere with 50+ people just spamming all their abilities without a care in the world about adds. Someone goes down, a random stranger comes up and "Rezes" you during combat, continue with hotkey spam. Far too easy, no soul, no thought behind it, just spam spam spam click click click, next target.

It seems like we're going backwards, devolving into nothing more than a browser-based action RPG with pretty lights.

The combat was one of the biggest detractors in the game for me. Role-less, thoughtless, spammy, and limited. All words that you do not want associated with your combat in an MMORPG. I have always been a big fan of the GW franchise, but thems the breaks.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

Originally posted by Aeonblades

The combat was one of the biggest detractors in the game for me. Role-less, thoughtless, spammy, and limited. All words that you do not want associated with your combat in an MMORPG. I have always been a big fan of the GW franchise, but thems the breaks.

I like how you keep evading my posts explaining you how wrong you are :) 

But fun aside, thanks to spammy people that does not think I manage to make 50 wvw kills in ~20 minutes for my monthly each month ^_^ And if you refer to my group as a zerg I'll hurt you :UUU I don't like zerg action so me and my friends tend to distance ourselves from the zerg. 

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    " hey this 11 page post came out of no where...it must be a necro "
  • keenberkeenber Member UncommonPosts: 438

Thats what i thought about every mmos combat since EQ became easy mode. I never bought GW2 but i did most other mmo because they all had a glimmer of hope that they wouldn't end up just being dependent on who has the biggest stick

Gw2, NW, Tera and any of these so called action mmos have very easy simplified combat that doesn't make you stop and think. Zerg every encounter and if u lose come back and zerg with better gear or in the case of GW2 a bigger zerg group.

Where is the old school mobs gone that are social ( add from the same type of mobs ), No elastic band and ones that actually go for the weaker ( low health ,lower level.ect) or lazy ( sit in EQ when not on a horse ) . All these made combat in mmos fun and not just who has the most force.

Thats why i wont ever be buying GW2,Wildstar and EQN but will buy any mmo that has some potential and that usually means having the holy trinity some kinda dedicated class system and mobs that actually hurt.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

it is just you, you think WOW combat is fun, imo it's just spam macro 1 spam macro 2=win, that's PVP, as fas as PVE goes that game has addons which alert you and point you where to stand by the second. talk about scripted comatose fights.

Try to do small scale combat in GW2, you pick the easiest route (ex WOW players tend to do that) and complain about zergfests. A world will open up.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by keenber

Thats what i thought about every mmos combat since EQ became easy mode. I never bought GW2 but i did most other mmo because they all had a glimmer of hope that they wouldn't end up just being dependent on who has the biggest stick

Gw2, NW, Tera and any of these so called action mmos have very easy simplified combat that doesn't make you stop and think. Zerg every encounter and if u lose come back and zerg with better gear or in the case of GW2 a bigger zerg group.

Where is the old school mobs gone that are social ( add from the same type of mobs ), No elastic band and ones that actually go for the weaker ( low health ,lower level.ect) or lazy ( sit in EQ when not on a horse ) . All these made combat in mmos fun and not just who has the most force.

Thats why i wont ever be buying GW2,Wildstar and EQN but will buy any mmo that has some potential and that usually means having the holy trinity some kinda dedicated class system and mobs that actually hurt.

Try to zerg tequatl or the triwurm.

But I agree, in GW2 you don't really have time to stop and think - you need to react immediately. I'm not sure how that is simplified. 

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

All I can say is, your loss. Your loss because you have pretty biased opinion for a person that never played a game that has millions of active players almost 2 years in :) 

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Combat is great in GW2, only the long boss fights can get boring. If you want challenging combat you can certainly get it by taking on more than a couple of mobs or higher level mobs. Dodging and using your skills to their full extent can be pretty hard. You never HAVE to zerg anything, but of course you can...

imageimage
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

The problem with GW2 combat is not that there is no trinity, it's that there is no punishment for sucking.

The zerg only exists because people are able to constantly throw themselves at mobs/bosses and still succeed. If the game would say, "I'm sorry you have died 3 times in this dungeon, you are locked out of this instance." The outcry would be tremendous from bads, but it would really showcase how important it is to play well and would create the need for people to build support characters to help keep their team going.

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by Sk1ppeR

All I can say is, your loss. Your loss because you have pretty biased opinion for a person that never played a game that has millions of active players almost 2 years in :) 

You must be trolling....... Anyway link that states this......?????

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

Originally posted by stevebombsquad

Really, you want to play the numbers game hater? Alright - I never said millions of concurrent users. Now go rest in peace. 

Really, you want to play the numbers game hater? Alright - I never said millions of concurrent users. Now go rest in peace. 

You said "active" players implying that millions of people log on each month and haven't stopped playing.......

• Sajman01Sajman01 Member Posts: 204
    Eve pulls 3x the viewers on Twitch and has 300k players.
    There's no way this game has more than 250k active players.
  • An4thorAn4thor Member Posts: 524
    Originally posted by Sajman01
    Eve pulls 3x the viewers on Twitch and has 300k players.
    There's no way this game has more than 250k active players.

What does twitch even has to do with how many players play a game..

I doubt anyone can say how many play gw2, all i can see for myself is that the world is more then alive and WvW is very active. That's all i'm interested in really.

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678

your wrong tanks healers and control does exist but its not like in the rest of mmos where you are bound to your class

you can spec in many ways (traits, runes, armor sets, sigils, utility skills play important role here)

show me a game that doesnt have scripted fight

even the mighty WoW have the same

You said "active" players implying that millions of people log on each month and haven't stopped playing.......

In the business world an active user is an unique user that has logged at least once in the past 1-2 weeks :) 

And since when we judge games by their Twitch viewers count  

Are you implying that League of Legends and Hearthstone and Pokemon and Counter-Strike are the greatest games ever created? Seriously? 

Also if you care to log in Gw2, if you even have it bought and you are not just hating on Gw2 for killing your favorite MMO or your favorite business model, you would see that most of the 40 servers they employ are very highly populated some medium and I have yet to see Low populated server.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    I had fun with this game at launch.  But the problem for me is most of the middle zones are barren of people.  And the constant trains going around just kill whatever world the game was aiming for.

In the business world an active user is an unique user that has logged at least once in the past 1-2 weeks :) 

And since when we judge games by their Twitch viewers count  

Are you implying that League of Legends and Hearthstone and Pokemon and Counter-Strike are the greatest games ever created? Seriously? 

Also if you care to log in Gw2, if you even have it bought and you are not just hating on Gw2 for killing your favorite MMO or your favorite business model, you would see that most of the 40 servers they employ are very highly populated some medium and I have yet to see Low populated server.

Show me where "millions" of users logged in within a few week period. You can't because it didn't happen. The sold like 3.5 million copies. There is no chance that they had a 60-70% retention rate. Tell us exactly what numbers are needed for the different ratings on the servers. You can't. Stop making baseless claims that are quite obviously an attempt to troll. 

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

Sometimes it could be emptier.

I do hope TESO AvA takes people away from WvW because I want in. :(

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• NotimeforbsNotimeforbs Member CommonPosts: 346

Look - combat in MMO's really boils down to 2 types of management:  Damage and Control.  There is no "Trinity".  There are no "Hybrids."  There is none of that.  When you break it all down (especially in group play) you are either dealing Damage or Controlling.  That's all it is.  I'll explain:

Every class - EVERY CLASS - has to be able to kill stuff.  You can't win the game unless you kill stuff.  So it stands to reason that every class should be viable in combat when it comes to killing stuff.  When you put yourself into a situation where you think some classes should be better at dealing damage than others, then you've suddenly put yourself in a situation where some classes are just more important.  We've seen this in past games - Tanks and Healers were always slow to play and ultimately boring because it took them forever to kill stuff.  Wizards and Rogues, on the other hand, were a blast to play and performed very well in every game type.... because they could kill stuff very easily.

So you ask, "So what?"  Well... the "So what?" is that every class has to be able to kill stuff.  Every class has to be able to win the game.  When you've allowed some classes to be on easy mode, while the others are stuck in suck mode... you're going to create a situation where people aren't going to play the classes that usually suck.  Why do you think everyone rolls the Wizard or the Rogue mostly?  Why do you think they're always the first to get nerfed in PvP?  Because they do the thing that it requires you to do to win the game the best.

So you say, "Well, yeah... but they're squishy.  So it balances out."  Well... actually, no it doesn't.

See... every class must also be able to die.  If the class cannot lose the game, then it is an Alpha Class, and your class balance is already FUBAR.  You can put as much armor and as much HP as you want on a class... but it still has to be able to die.  But - and this is important - their ability to kill must be sovereign to their ability to die.  In other words, if you can't win the game because you're supposed to lose... then you don't have a game... and everything will then, again, be FUBAR.  So in balance terms, being able to kill and win the game is still more important than being able to die.

So we go back to the damage paradigm.  If half your classes can kill and win the game better... they're going to be Alpha Classes.  I've seen this a million times - those classes that are really great at doing damage (the squishy ones...) those are ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS the first classes to be nerfed.  And when they get nerfed... they're ALWAYS nerfed to the point of being functionally useless.  This is why everyone immediately stops playing them after they're nerfed.  The nerf bat goes WAY overboard, to the point where the class actually might not even be able to win the game.  Which.... breaks the first rule.  They have to be able to win.  And when you break that rule for the classes that ultimately did the damage best - who is always the next best class?  Yep.... you guessed it:  The "Healer."  Why?  Because unlike the "Tank" the Healer has a virtual limitless HP bar.  Since it still has to be able to win the game, it can already deal the necessary amount of damage.  Except it also above all other classes, has the lowest risk of actually dying.  You see where I am going with this...

So now... control.  What exactly is the purpose of control?  It really doesn't have anything to do with anything except for controlling the flow of incoming damage.  Who gets it, where does it go, how much of it is dealt, how much of it can be resisted, how much of it can be offset - all that stuff.  It has anything to do with augmenting how much incoming damage is being dealt.... it's control.  This applies to:  Aggro, Heals, Debuffs, Buffs, Movement, etc.  All of these things augment the flow of incoming damage.

So you see... the Trinity doesn't actually exist.  The Tank and the Healer are actually doing the same thing in different ways - they are preventing the player from losing the game.  They will never WIN the game - because to win the game, you have to kill the enemy - you have to deal damage.  Preventing and or augmenting incoming damage does not do that.

So when you look at Guild Wars 2... what you have is a situation where every class can always do damage, and every class can always manipulate incoming damage, control.

It actually makes a lot of sense that I won't go deeper into.  But it also doesn't mean I think Guild Wars 2 has fun combat.  It is kind of sterile.  But I don't disagree with it in principle.  I think in order for it to be more engaging, it would require a deeper look in how the enemy AI works rather than how the classes work.  Each class is designed to deal damage or manipulate control in different ways.  I think the reason people to take more advantage of that has more to do with the fact that there's no reason to do so in response to the enemy AI - like world bosses.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    bbbrrraaaaiiiinnnssssss.....

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893
    No trinity is why I bought FFXIV  . I had a blast playing FFXIV playing roles as healer or tank / dps etc

The boss fights were pretty hard and you had to rely on everyone playing well , it was a team effort .

However FFXIV had content locks which required raiding at certain times etc which turned me off the game .

EQ1 had awesome combat especially if you played enchanter and were good at it .
    Even tho it was prettty basic combat it was fun farming items in camps etc . Nothing was instanced and it was all contested .