Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Build problems

BarbarbarBarbarbar Member UncommonPosts: 271

So I put together a pc for a friend, and we are having some trouble with it. When we power on the PSU, we get green LEDs on the GPU, but that's it. We cannot get a reaction from the power button it just stays dead. We suspect it is the case front panel buttons themselves that are broken, but we don't know.

Tomorrow I am taking my pc over to him and we will start changing in hardware to see if we can pinpoint the problem. But up in advance, maybe someone here would have an idea what may be at fault when only LEDs on the GPU show any sign of life.

We really have checked all cabling and they seem in order. I have been building pcs and taking them apart, so I know how I do it when they work, and I'm pretty sure it's not human error.

Comments

• NyghthowlerNyghthowler Member UncommonPosts: 392

Does the case have a independent button to reset the 'puter? If so, make sure you don't have the wires hooked up wrong on the mobo connectors. If the wiring is correct the put the wires from the reset switch to the power on connectors on the mobo, That should tell you if the power switch is faulty.

Good luck with it.

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

If you have the money, get a power supply tester.  Connect the ATX motherboard 24-pin connector to it and disconnect the power supply from all other components before testing..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16899109003

Alternatively, you can turn on your power supply by shorting the green wire to a black wire using a paper clip or other conductive material.  No need to leave it there.  Just do it for a second and see if the fan turns on.  That would tell you if the problem is with your motherboard or power button.

http://pinouts.ru/Power/atxpower_pinout.shtml

After you verify your power supply turns on, bring your system to a minimal configuration.  You need a CPU, 1 DIMM, and a GPU to POST, but if your system has an integrated GPU, use it instead.  Connect the power supply to the motherboard, CPU, and GPU if you had to leave yours in.  If it doesn't power on, you can assume it is one of those components causing the problem.