Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Skyforge the next big online RPG?

Allacore69Allacore69 Member Posts: 839

How does a massively multiplayer role-playing game stand out in 2014? No matter how much diversity the genre offers, it's still difficult to escape accusations that everything is just a World of Warcraft clone, a lingering misconception that each developer seeks to smash into pieces in its own unique way. Many studios look to their combat systems as the means of differentiation, shooting for fighting that approximates a true action-game feel, with your character responding immediately and appropriately to every mouse click and button press.

You can add Skyforge to the list of games trying to heat up the action. It's under development by the team that created Allods Online in collaboration with Fallout: New Vegas developer Obsidian Entertainment. I recently took a frost mage out for an adventure in Skyforge and was immediately struck by how similar the game was to another MMOG: Tera. I still believe Tera sets the standard for MMOG combat, so following its lead is no bad thing, and spearing floating robots and armored lizard creatures with icicles gave me Tera-level joys as I played Skyforge.

Read more here : Gamespot

Comments

• rogue187rogue187 Member Posts: 151
    What will be the deciding factor of whether to follow this game or not, for me, is whether it's a themepark or sandbox game. We're already swimming in themeparks..no amount of great combat or pretty graphics will get me to play another.
  • rogue187rogue187 Member Posts: 151
    Well just read that full article...looks like another themepark
  • TbauTbau Member Posts: 401

While it looks nice its too early to say anything about it.

if it doesn't contain a decent amount of innovations, I am passing no matter the looks though.

• Allacore69Allacore69 Member Posts: 839

Sometimes you don't need anything new in a game for it to be really great! ie, FF XIV ARR.

• LyrianLyrian Member UncommonPosts: 412

I don't think so. To me it seems like current reflection of society. "You get to be a GOD in our game!" "What other game lets you play as a god?!" Well...there's going to be 12341134534 other gods running around. Which means no one is really going to be a god.  It's making everyone out to be 'special' and a 'hero' right from the get go which feels annoying from my perspective. I very much prefer the old(er) school game approach where you were effectively dirt, until you leveled your way up and became awesome. Not handing you it on a silver platter from the start.

On top of all that it classifies itself as a themepark, which while isn't bad, already limits itself to the amount of content that it'll have. It'll follow the traditional trek of leveling to a cap then putting the game down.

They need to break out some serious innovations or it'll fall by the way side. Considering that this will likely be competing with EQN and Titan by the time it rolls around. I'm seriously wondering what the investors are thinking.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by Lyrian

I don't think so. To me it seems like current reflection of society. "You get to be a GOD in our game!" "What other game lets you play as a god?!" Well...there's going to be 12341134534 other gods running around. Which means no one is really going to be a god.  It's making everyone out to be 'special' and a 'hero' right from the get go which feels annoying from my perspective. I very much prefer the old(er) school game approach where you were effectively dirt, until you leveled your way up and became awesome. Not handing you it on a silver platter from the start.

On top of all that it classifies itself as a themepark, which while isn't bad, already limits itself to the amount of content that it'll have. It'll follow the traditional trek of leveling to a cap then putting the game down.

They need to break out some serious innovations or it'll fall by the way side. Considering that this will likely be competing with EQN and Titan by the time it rolls around. I'm seriously wondering what the investors are thinking.

Meh, not once have I been playing a game, watching the chamber maid clean out my chamber pot thinking, "DAMN! WHY GOD! WHY CAN'T I JUST BE THE CHAMBER MAID! DAMN YOU THEMEPARKS!"

I really don't mind seeing a million other gods running around. It's a trade-off. Otherwise, what do you get? Well, you get the above chamber maid example, or you get endless stories retrofitted to justify the existence of all these gods a la DC Universe Online. So instead of a god giving me powers, he gives all of humanity powers. While it makes more logical sense to do it this way, since your parents always taught you that you shouldn't put all your eggs in one basket, but the whole "one hero to save them all" style is just way more dramatic as related to the story. 

We need to remember that these are games. I could use your exact same argument and say that animals respawing in the environment "breaks" the realism. I mean shouldn't there be a detailed ecosystem where we can actually just make everything extinct? Yeah, that'd be cool for about the first 4 hours before all life in the game is extinct. Also, why do we have to go back at fight the same bosses over and over again? I mean, come on!! I just defeated this guy last night! This game is so themepark *stomp stomp grumble grumble* /sarcasm

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

Originally posted by CrazKanuk
    Originally posted by Lyrian I don't think so. To me it seems like current reflection of society. "You get to be a GOD in our game!" "What other game lets you play as a god?!" Well...there's going to be 12341134534 other gods running around. Which means no one is really going to be a god.  It's making everyone out to be 'special' and a 'hero' right from the get go which feels annoying from my perspective. I very much prefer the old(er) school game approach where you were effectively dirt, until you leveled your way up and became awesome. Not handing you it on a silver platter from the start. On top of all that it classifies itself as a themepark, which while isn't bad, already limits itself to the amount of content that it'll have. It'll follow the traditional trek of leveling to a cap then putting the game down. They need to break out some serious innovations or it'll fall by the way side. Considering that this will likely be competing with EQN and Titan by the time it rolls around. I'm seriously wondering what the investors are thinking.
    Meh, not once have I been playing a game, watching the chamber maid clean out my chamber pot thinking, "DAMN! WHY GOD! WHY CAN'T I JUST BE THE CHAMBER MAID! DAMN YOU THEMEPARKS!"

I really don't mind seeing a million other gods running around. It's a trade-off. Otherwise, what do you get? Well, you get the above chamber maid example, or you get endless stories retrofitted to justify the existence of all these gods a la DC Universe Online. So instead of a god giving me powers, he gives all of humanity powers. While it makes more logical sense to do it this way, since your parents always taught you that you shouldn't put all your eggs in one basket, but the whole "one hero to save them all" style is just way more dramatic as related to the story. 

We need to remember that these are games. I could use your exact same argument and say that animals respawing in the environment "breaks" the realism. I mean shouldn't there be a detailed ecosystem where we can actually just make everything extinct? Yeah, that'd be cool for about the first 4 hours before all life in the game is extinct. Also, why do we have to go back at fight the same bosses over and over again? I mean, come on!! I just defeated this guy last night! This game is so themepark *stomp stomp grumble grumble* /sarcasm

this^^^^

+1

A lot of people like themeparks. Also remember, FF XIV ARR did nothing new to innovate anything and the game has 2+ million subbers, me included.

Besides we start as immortals. We have to WORK our way up to being god's. Nobody ever said it would just be handed to us on a "silver platter". It might take some casual players a long time to become "god's".

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by Tbau

While it looks nice its too early to say anything about it.

if it doesn't contain a decent amount of innovations, I am passing no matter the looks though.

Innovation is overrated and can neither be a guarantee that game will be fun.

For me games are like movies. I just want to be entertained and as long as it is well made and loaded with lots of content and features i could care less which MMO it copied or whether it is a themepark or sandbox.

Originally posted by Bigdaddyx
    Originally posted by Tbau While it looks nice its too early to say anything about it. if it doesn't contain a decent amount of innovations, I am passing no matter the looks though.
    Innovation is overrated and can neither be a guarantee that game will be fun.

For me games are like movies. I just want to be entertained and as long as it is well made and loaded with lots of content and features i could care less which MMO it copied or whether it is a themepark or sandbox.

Best thing iv'e read all day!