Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who likes the UI?

asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

I'm actually a big fan of the UI.  I find it to be a refreshing change from the typical information overload that I get with all other MMO's.  Not all of the information we're used to is visible, but that's actually really cool for immersion.  I like the direction they are going with the "show, not tell" philosophy of making things like penetration give a cracked effect, etc..

My hope is that it will cut down on the min/max crowd, since there are tons of games that already cater to them.

Anyway, what do you guys think, overall.  Of course not everything is perfect, but do you like the direction TESO is taking with it?

You make me like charity

Comments

• KnotwoodKnotwood Member CommonPosts: 1,103

I love the UI,  I also like the Addons you will be able to use to customize it. 

I think people who make UI Addons before any games launch is setting themselves up for a huge letdown if things change,  I'm waiting until it launches to make mine.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    After 8+ years of raiding in EQ2 I find the minimalist UI of ESO nice.  I wouldn't buy this game with a WoW style UI as it would really be a abomination of the Elder Scrolls name.
  • Trudge34Trudge34 Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Love it. Can actually get into and play the game instead of the UI. Especially awesome since I play in first person.

Played: EQ1 (10 Years), Guild Wars, Rift, TERA
    Tried: EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and countless others...
    Currently Playing: GW2

Nytlok Sylas
    80 Sylvari Ranger

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by udon
      I wouldn't buy this game with a WoW style UI as it would really be a abomination of the Elder Scrolls name.

This.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    I like it, mostly because of it's familiarity after playing skyrim for a few years. I like that the interface in general is designed around watching the game, not numbers and icons.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• IlayaIlaya Member UncommonPosts: 661
    Love it MUCH. So Slim, so "not to see", just Screen. Just there when needed. Well crafted. I'm not such a Big Fan of Add-ons, but i think so 1-2 will be nice. Just for see my own Food Buffs and how long they run and i'm a Happy Player.
  • KnotwoodKnotwood Member CommonPosts: 1,103

I think Paul Sage said It best when he talked about the UI.

"Finally, our UI and game isn't built just for experts, min-maxers, and number crunchers.

• HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821
    Originally posted by asmkm22

I'm actually a big fan of the UI.  I find it to be a refreshing change from the typical information overload that I get with all other MMO's.  Not all of the information we're used to is visible, but that's actually really cool for immersion.  I like the direction they are going with the "show, not tell" philosophy of making things like penetration give a cracked effect, etc..

My hope is that it will cut down on the min/max crowd, since there are tons of games that already cater to them.

Anyway, what do you guys think, overall.  Of course not everything is perfect, but do you like the direction TESO is taking with it?

the minimalist approach is perfectly okay but the bars are a no-go. especially how they increase and decrease their value. not accurately represented at all. esp the hp bar

and so many important features that are base in every MMO nowadays are completely missing. but thankfully there are addons. and I am merely talking about tracking addons, what you loot - no stuff like gearscore or raidboss addons, the simple stuff misses.

• DaxamarDaxamar Member UncommonPosts: 593

Im not a fan of the UI. It was good for Skyrim, but not for a MMO.

Glad they have add-ons to customize it to my liking.

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    I really like it, After all those years of dps meters and spell bars and this and that cluttering the entire god dam screen this feels so much simpler and  makes the game much more immersive. I feel like I am more focused on the world with this UI as opposed to other MMO's focusing on my hot bars . Considering the awesome graphics this is a Big+
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by Ilaya
    Love it MUCH. So Slim, so "not to see", just Screen. Just there when needed. Well crafted. I'm not such a Big Fan of Add-ons, but i think so 1-2 will be nice. Just for see my own Food Buffs and how long they run and i'm a Happy Player.

Same here, like it clean. Also same opinion about add-ons but would like that food/drink buff to be shown. Havn't looked if it's presented elsewhere in my character sheet when openend?

• R.LimaR.Lima Member UncommonPosts: 135
    I love the UI. Before ESO, it had been a very long time since I last felt immersed within an MMO game. I know a clean UI is a staple feature of The Elder Scrolls series, but its implementation in an MMO really feels so refreshing and I believe it to be a massive step forward towards a more compelling and visually stunning gameplay experience.
  • Yoda_CloneYoda_Clone Member Posts: 219

First off, I'm not a fan of typical UI's on most games where [deliberate hyperbole] there is more screen real estate used up by skill bars, status bars, mini-maps, quest lists, buff/debuff icons, menu shortcuts, and -- lest we forget -- the chat window(s) than used to actually present to the player what the character sees in the world.

But...

The interface in ESO seems very deliberately schemed to be like Skyrim; the marketers would have been stupid not to do that, no doubt; and that interface was designed to make transition to consoles all that much easier... since ESO is to also be released on consoles, it makes sense that the same paradigm would be chosen as a design approach.

However...

While console controllers have all these nice buttons easily in reach of youngsters' agile hands, they aren't exactly ideal for old farts' arthritic hands... and translation of that design to a keyboard/mouse environment, especially where a hand on the mouse is essential to the gameplay, is "somewhat lacking"... as in, IMHO, it sucks.

A minimalist approach is nice, I'll agree, but some of the key selections are less than ideal (and remapping doesn't really solve that problem); e.g., WASD for movement, but needing to get to the ALT key?  My thumb doesn't exactly bend that way... do you know how many times I hit the Windows key during Beta testing?  It's kind of a bummer in the middle of combat when the OS kicks you out to the desktop...  Am I fond of inappropriately hitting the "E" key so I can move out of a mob's hit zone after resetting my left hand after using one of the 1-5 keys for a skill?  Sometimes you need to keep your eyes on the screen, not on the keyboard (and isn't that the purpose of a minimalist UI to begin with?  To let you see more of the screen?).

It's clunky.  Period.  Not the presentation to the player, but the implementation on the keyboard.  Largely it's due to the tie between the mousebuttons and the attack, heavy attack, block, and interrupt functionality, but that decision leads to stupid implementations like the rotary wheel for accessing potions, etc.  It's almost useless during combat because your mouse suddenly transitions from controlling attacks to selecting the potion on the wheel, and that is an extremely imprecise process...

"I'm out of mana/magicka/whatever it's called this week; quick, bring up the wheel!"

"Oops, I selected bait..."

<--die-->

EDIT: clarity  EDIT AGAIN: damn typo

• AsabellAsabell Member Posts: 18
    +1 here like the ui
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Just love the UI, tough an option to see self only buffs like active food/ drink potions and such would be great..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• TheAmazingDwarfTheAmazingDwarf Member UncommonPosts: 234
    I love it. It is like it should be being an Elder Scrolls game.

My FFXIV ARR referral code for new EU accounts: 5JPF7ZQ3
    Step into the amazing world of Eorzea! Use this reference code on a new account and we'll both get goodies for it!

• IlayaIlaya Member UncommonPosts: 661
    Originally posted by Reklaw
    Originally posted by Ilaya

Same here, like it clean. Also same opinion about add-ons but would like that food/drink buff to be shown. Havn't looked if it's presented elsewhere in my character sheet when openend?

Yes, it is. But i would like it, same as you and thunderc if i understand it right, visible without opening anything. The Add-Ons i saw have it displayed in the bottom right corner. Nearly not visible, or let's say "not offensive" in the middle of the Screen or so.

• movindudemovindude Member UncommonPosts: 127
    its been a long time since I found a game I wanted to play. [mod edit]
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    I feel the UI is a perfect starting point and offers a style of play for those wanting it as the baseline. I also plan on tweaking it through mods to suit my needs without the mods being a "cheat". I am therefore very happy with the API changes (not a nerf because they never planned on it being so open after beta). 

You stay sassy!

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Love the UI, though I'll be happy for a mod that lets me remove the compass and crosshair.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    I love the UI. There will be addons for those who want some modifications, but at the end of the day it is an Elder Scrolls Game. I expect a proper Elder Scrolls UI and ESO nailed it. Some things are better off staying true to the TES franchise and not to the mmo side of it and UI is one of them. IMO

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583
    Aesthetically its fine, but it lacks quite a bit of functionality imho
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Entinerint
    Love the UI, though I'll be happy for a mod that lets me remove the compass and crosshair.

i would keep the compass but completely turn off quest objectives on it, if possible.

• mrwilliemrwillie Member UncommonPosts: 8

It's useable.  The whole "Q" wheel thing sucks.  Would just prefer another bar for consumables.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    Originally posted by rojo6934
    Originally posted by Entinerint

i would keep the compass but completely turn off quest objectives on it, if possible.

It is possible.

You stay sassy!