Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warlords of Draenor Beta Invite Phishing Emails Incoming

DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212

PSA! I got a fairly initially convincing looking phishing email tonight claiming to be from Blizzard, inviting me to the Warlords of Draenor beta. Be extremely vigilant everyone! You WILL NOT be sent beta keys by Blizzard, they will just flag your Blizzard account with beta access!

-------------------------
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004

Comments

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459
    Inevitable i guess and that one is pretty damned good, but the same advice always stands, if in doubt, check your account directly, don't follow links in e-mails.

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

I've been getting these for months now.

The fun part is they always make idiotic mistakes like suddenly refering to MOP instead of WOD inside the mail.

That and the usual "act quick you only have time until XXX" with the date usually already being expired for some weeks.

Guess it takes the Chinese long to go through their endless mailing list.

Harbinger of Fools
  • expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    My #1 rule with emails like this is, does it have my name on it or do they refer to me as 'player' 'customer' etc.  Blizzard and other companies I have accounts with will use my name.  No name means I stop reading and flag as spam.
  • DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212
    I get phishing emails daily on my junk email that I use for everything except game accounts... the difference here is that 99% of them can't even use proper grammar or spelling in the email subject, never mind using graphics and layouts like this. Also this one happened to get by the web based email filter for this particular email that typically catches emails like this in the junk filter. This would definitely fool people that didn't know any better and got excited to be invited to a beta. It didn't fool me either, but not everyone knows better, and rather than be condescending towards those people I like to help them educate themselves so they don't get taken in by things like this...

-------------------------
    "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004