Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Facebook buys Oculus Rift for $2B

XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,847

Comments

• AndistotleAndistotle Member UncommonPosts: 124
    This is just LOL. where the heck are facebook getting all this money? its a free webpage/app,  with no adds or anything. Seems like they are creating money out of thin air.
  • IlayaIlaya Member UncommonPosts: 661
    That's just a BIG letdown. image That means upcoming Games with OC will need a FB account. Or if you buy the OC you can have it with FB as needed. I could puke.
  • ArdnutArdnut Member Posts: 188

two things in life i've managed to avoid so far - google and facebook. and was realy looking forward to occulus coming ou so could play in a virtual world without having to worry about virtual "friends" instead of real onest - but now looks like fb are going to screw even that up.

what is coming with this? every time you get a kill or complete a quest will you get thumbs up or down on it? will every where you go in a game be followed by fb? bad enough with google following you around in real life withough fb doing the same in virtual life

i look this wrecked because i've got GIST.
    Whats your excuse?
    http://deadmanrambling.com/

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    Originally posted by Ardnut

two things in life i've managed to avoid so far - google and facebook. and was realy looking forward to occulus coming ou so could play in a virtual world without having to worry about virtual "friends" instead of real onest - but now looks like fb are going to screw even that up.

what is coming with this? every time you get a kill or complete a quest will you get thumbs up or down on it? will every where you go in a game be followed by fb? bad enough with google following you around in real life withough fb doing the same in virtual life

I have a FB account and nothing is following me in my virtual life. It all depends upon the user how much info you want to share with the world. You are exagerrating.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Read carefully; they are allowing Oculus to operate independently from within Facebook. This is a huge vote of confidence in the platform and the possible applications Virtual Reality may have not just in gaming, but elsewhere too. The whole idea of "presence" kind of goes hand in hand with Facebook's direction of bringing people together.

This only means the road to VR got a little shorter.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• KaosLegionKaosLegion Member UncommonPosts: 79
    not surprising Google is buying everything as well, like Boston Dynamics that build military robots
  • ArdnutArdnut Member Posts: 188

fb knows what you do on the social network, but it also tracks where you go when you leave it. unless you use something like a facebook disconnect add-on for your browser. but then given that one i know of is for chrome it's a bit like asking the nsa to look after your privacy for you - and we know how much they respect peoples privacy - even their own countymen.

howt wrong with being paranoid these days

i look this wrecked because i've got GIST.
    Whats your excuse?
    http://deadmanrambling.com/

• Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234

- I am absolutely floored by this, $2 billion - just imagine

- I have no idea what to think at this point. I do not have a facebook account - I had considered it, but when I hear the horror stories and just the fact that people can dip into your personal life, I just wasn't interested. I don't feel like I have anything to hide, but considering the judgemental nature of people, I just always felt it best to keep your personal information personal.

- Oculus sounded like a neat idea, but not if they are going to use it to twist peoples arms and create facebook accounts, and certainly not if they are going to make VR farmville.

- I don't like to put to many eggs in one basket, but Sony please save us. Please deliver VR - Dark Souls - Diablo - EqNext - GTA - Destiny - Final Fantasy - I want to dislocate my neck trying to dodge attacks, I want to puke as my mind is tricked into believeing I just fell off of a cliff. 

• MalacthMalacth Member UncommonPosts: 121
    Originally posted by Andistotle
    This is just LOL. where the heck are facebook getting all this money? its a free webpage/app,  with no adds or anything. Seems like they are creating money out of thin air.

No adds? What magical unicorn version of Facebook are you using? It's covered in ads.

Also, ever got a candy crush/farmville request etc? You realise they pay Facebook a fair share of money to allow that to happen right?

Facebook is worth 100+ billion currently.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I'm confused as to what Facebook would do with owning the Oculus. I don't see what ability it will open up for their site. Maybe it is just an investment, that made them own it as well? I don't know.
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,847

Notch, the creator of Minecraft, just tweeted that he cancelled a deal to bring Minecraft to Oculus Rift because doesnt like Facebook.

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

Notch, the creator of Minecraft, just tweeted that he cancelled a deal to bring Minecraft to Oculus Rift because doesnt like Facebook.

What an arrogant pos that guy is.

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    Originally posted by Panther2103
    I'm confused as to what Facebook would do with owning the Oculus. I don't see what ability it will open up for their site. Maybe it is just an investment, that made them own it as well? I don't know.

Maybe Marc sees a great investment in Oculos?

• Iceman8235Iceman8235 Member UncommonPosts: 205
    congrats to the oculus team, hopefully they all get to keep their positions in this acquisition.
  • atuerstaratuerstar Member Posts: 234

Its a 3 years hands off deal - apparently.

So we got some breathing room for VR to grow and become popular and in 3 years time switch to a different Head Mounted Display distributor who isnt chained to Facebook.

Still the announcement left me in shock. I simply cannot see this ending well no matter how much some try to assure me otherwise. To have hope for this all to work out well you must trust in Mark Zuckerberg - and I cant do that.

• MMO-RelicMMO-Relic Member UncommonPosts: 81
    Originally posted by Vutar
    If Facebook is involved, you can be sure they are plotting ways to invade your personal privacy even more. After all, that is how they make money.

^ this. Sometimes people, the truth really is right in front of you, literally. 

Acolytes Gaming (forums.acolytesgaming.com)

Sheep or Shepard- Make up your own damn mind.

It is true, the older you get, the less patience you have for those who watch a Youtube video and from that believe they know it all.

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138

problem with gaming and facebook is that it makes more personal that it has been before. If someone insults the other or more, there are details to their country, name etc. When the internet and online gaming is a place of spontaneity andimpulse with the convience at ones finger tip. Its takes one situation that allows for bad things to happen in compeitive situations and then give everyones infromation to be shared within a game.

This is assuming that facebook forces players to use their real account or share it by default.

It would be nice if players were less skitzo or whatver odd behavior, but its unfortunately the convenience of the internet that allows this to happen and facebook and gaming I assume would make things worse rather than better.

I guess a person could make fake facebook accounts. Maybe thats what facebook wants to inflate their subscription numbers to their investors exploiting something like oculus rift.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

In light of this news, I wonder if they will give refunds for people who purchased the Dev kit and are completely floored by this decision. What I'm trying to say is.

I WANT MY MONEY BACK

• r3volt21r3volt21 Member UncommonPosts: 97
    yay vr candy crush, just what we been waiting for :p
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,847

Originally posted by Vutar
    If Facebook is involved, you can be sure they are plotting ways to invade your personal privacy even more. After all, that is how they make money.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/26/technology/facebook-to-buy-oculus-vr-maker-of-virtual-reality-headset.html?hpw&rref=business&_r=3

"According to a person involved in the deal who was not allowed to speak publicly because he was not authorized by either company, Facebook eventually plans to redesign the Oculus hardware and rebrand it with a Facebook interface and logo."

Anyone that thinks that Facebook will just let the Oculus Rift team do as they please with no intervention is naive.

• ianicusianicus Member UncommonPosts: 665
    Originally posted by Precusor
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

What an arrogant pos that guy is.

arrogant? hardly, principaled is probably more like it. Im sure Notch has been approached numeroous times to sell his IP or the company, has he? nope. Thats what I like to see, not some sell outs take a bunch of money from crowd funding only to turn around and take 2 billion from FB, how do you think the kickstarter folks feel now? The Oculus folks are nothing but a bunch of greedy opportunists.

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

at least more people are talking about the Oculus project now.

We went from 'VR is a gimmick' to 'Facebook will ruin VR' rather quickly

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me