Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO on the Playstation 4...

I am seriously considering buying ESO for my Playstation.  I have never played an MMO on a console before, and was hoping that anyone who has would be able to answer a few questions for me?

1. How do you communicate generally?

2. Do you need a keyboard?

3. Are the populations smaller than on a PC?

I am signed up for the console beta, but I am just hoping to get some quick answers or feedback before I make the pre-order.

Comments

• Moar61Moar61 Member UncommonPosts: 260

I'm not sure but I believe it will likely be voice chat done by a certain range within the players. This could go 1 of 2 ways, good or bad. 

You will not need a keyboard

While the population playing will be much smaller, the world should generally feel as alive as it would on PC, so long as there's enough people playing to fill out a shard.

I think ESO could be really great on console. Depending how the communication turns out, it could be a very immersive experience, and might even influence more socializing and grouping up with other people you wouldn't have otherwise. No one can say for sure how it will turn out just yet. What I can say is that out of the X1 and PS4, the ESO community seems is much larger on the ps4, so you picked the more populated one at least.

• HabitualFrogStompHabitualFrogStomp Member UncommonPosts: 370

I dont think anyone can answer these questions yet, as we dont have enough information.

Population will include only people on PS4, not one Xbone1 or PC. I have no idea if voice chat will be enabled, maybe for party who knows? As for keyboard, you're probably going to want one regardless.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Must admit i have wondered how people with consoles communicate in games, although up till now there really hasn't been many. I would imagine that having a keyboard will be, while not a necessity, probably a very useful thing to have if you do intend to spend time talking to other players. Its something that is pretty much taken for granted in PC games, that considering how to talk to others isn't really an issue, although lack of an interface that supports in game communication can be considered a detractor. i can only imagine that the console versions will either support keyboard peripherals, or have an 'on screen' keyboard of some kind, although those are a ungainly and slow thing to have to try and use. One option would be automatic voice comms for groups, although thats a bit of a rubbish way of doing things and really doesn't address communications overall within a game. So i would be interested in seeing how things are done myself, given that the PS4 is probably going to be the main console for ESO.image
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by ImmortalRage

I am seriously considering buying ESO for my Playstation.  I have never played an MMO on a console before, and was hoping that anyone who has would be able to answer a few questions for me?

I am signed up for the console beta, but I am just hoping to get some quick answers or feedback before I make the pre-order.

1) microphone and keyboard

2) you need it if you dont have a mic, typing form the virtual keyboard with a controller is slow and annoying

3) Im sure it will be smaller because PS4 will have their population secluded to their own server. Xbox One people will have their own server too. If i am not mistaken PC and Mac share servers so theres more people there.

ALso consider that console players are not fan of subscription games on consoles when they already have to pay PS+ and Xbox Live (PS+ is not needed for eso, according to them, but it is for other games) (XBL is needed for eso i think). I considered to get it on PS4 too but only if a chatpad comes out for PS4 like the one ps3 and 360 had. To type like a mini keyboard attached to the controller. IF i have to plug my keyboard to the console then i stick to PC. I'll play with gamepad anyway so i still play relaxed.

• ImmortalRageImmortalRage Member Posts: 12

Hmm.

Well, I have the basic mic that came with the PS4. I have never been a big multiplayer guy on consoles, usually only did that on PC MMO's, but for ESO, I just feel like I need to try it out on my PS4.

I will probably end up buying a new headset anyways.  I don't mind the $15 a month.  That's not bad at all, really, and it is no different from having to pay for WoW, or SWTOR, or EvE, or what have you.

I just really hope that I won't be walking "alone" so to speak in the game world.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Phry
    Must admit i have wondered how people with consoles communicate in games, although up till now there really hasn't been many. I would imagine that having a keyboard will be, while not a necessity, probably a very useful thing to have if you do intend to spend time talking to other players.

true there havent been many but there has been console mmos for over 10 years since playstation 2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_XI

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EverQuest_Online_Adventures

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DCUO

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ffxiv   (on PS3, PS4 forthcoming soon)

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by Phry
    Must admit i have wondered how people with consoles communicate in games, although up till now there really hasn't been many. I would imagine that having a keyboard will be, while not a necessity, probably a very useful thing to have if you do intend to spend time talking to other players.

true there havent been many but there has been console mmos for over 10 years since playstation 2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_XI

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EverQuest_Online_Adventures

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DCUO

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ffxiv   (on PS3, PS4 forthcoming soon)

Thats one thing i do like about SE, is that even as far back as FF XI, they didnt segregate platforms image

Went ahead and pre-ordered the Imperial Edition.

I'm a sucker for lore books, and that statue just looks really badass.  A nice centerpiece on the bookshelf.

Upon release, maybe I will see some of you. I look forward to that!

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

I have a 70" TV with Bose Surround Sound and a nice large couch for laying down on when playing my PS4. I downloaded the beta for Final Fantasy to see what it felt like to play an MMO on a console. The console control felt completely alien to me and I was immediately uncomfortable with the entire menu system. Typing was HELL using the onscreen keyboard. I realized immediately that to chat, I would need a keyboard. Navigating using the controller to control the cursor was much less precise than a mouse.

The problem is logistics. My computer is on a nice big flat desk in front of a nice big 27" screen. The keyboard and mouse are the controllers and Im not laying down on a couch with nothing in front of me to support my keyboard. On a PS4, you have to put down the controller to type on a keyboard. That action alone is annoying and you don't feel the same with a keyboard and mouse flat on a desk. Nothing is put down. They are already down. In fact I can run and type with one hand lol. Navigating the menus is so much easier, as well as the positioning of the cursor. 

I have no desire to play any MMO on a console after that experience. The only way I would change my mind is if I was only going to play with people who use voice chat which you can't guarantee when grouping. Maybe they should eliminate the chat box altogether and force people to talk :-)..but even that would be a problem with zone and world chat lol.

There Is Always Hope!

• Kayo45Kayo45 Member Posts: 293

I think the populations will be smaller on consoles. Maybe not at first but afterwards most likely. Dont think console players are  as big on paying a monthly fee Even though I I believe PS4 players dont have to pay PS+ for this game, lets be honest, most of them already do.

As for communication it depends how you play. If youre a loner, youll need a keyboard at least ... unless youre a beast at typing with that PS4 interface. If you play with friends you should be able to add them to your PSN and do the ps4 voice chat thing. Otherwise you can do what the guys at FFXIV do and use either the vent or mumble phone apps.

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Originally posted by keithian

I have a 70" TV with Bose Surround Sound and a nice large couch for laying down on when playing my PS4. I downloaded the beta for Final Fantasy to see what it felt like to play an MMO on a console. The console control felt completely alien to me and I was immediately uncomfortable with the entire menu system. Typing was HELL using the onscreen keyboard. I realized immediately that to chat, I would need a keyboard. Navigating using the controller to control the cursor was much less precise than a mouse.

The problem is logistics. My computer is on a nice big flat desk in front of a nice big 27" screen. The keyboard and mouse are the controllers and Im not laying down on a couch with nothing in front of me to support my keyboard. On a PS4, you have to put down the controller to type on a keyboard. That action alone is annoying and you don't feel the same with a keyboard and mouse flat on a desk. Nothing is put down. They are already down. In fact I can run and type with one hand lol. Navigating the menus is so much easier, as well as the positioning of the cursor. 

I have no desire to play any MMO on a console after that experience. The only way I would change my mind is if I was only going to play with people who use voice chat which you can't guarantee when grouping. Maybe they should eliminate the chat box altogether and force people to talk :-)..but even that would be a problem with zone and world chat lol.

This is precisely why I couldn't get sold on playing the PC version with a controller.  I don't want to have to set it down everytime I want to type something and not everyone wants to use voice chat.

At least the PS4 controller has the touchpad and FF14 will support it.  There are several people who will stand by the controller, but for an MMO (or PC game even) it just doesn't feel natural to me.

Sorry to hear about that experience foryou, Keithian.  I hope that I at least get to beta ESO so I can make sure I want to keep the game.

I am definitely no beast with the PS4 controller chat, lol, so I will invest in a good headset and try and scout for a PS4 guild with which to join for ESO.

• CarnicideCarnicide Member UncommonPosts: 222

Went ahead and pre-ordered the Imperial Edition.

I'm a sucker for lore books, and that statue just looks really badass.  A nice centerpiece on the bookshelf.

Upon release, maybe I will see some of you. I look forward to that!

I'm surprised you were still able to find the imperial edition, even if its for the console. I got mine the second day they started letting us pre order and it was sold out the next on PC. The one with the statue that is.

@ Carnicide

I had originally intended on grabbing that Imperial Edition for the PC, but it is sold out everywhere.  I chose to go the PS4 route because I really want to see how it handles, and I love playing console games as much as I love MMO's.  So trying out an MMO on the Playstation seemed like a good idea.  This way my wife and I won't have to fight over the PC, and we can both play our MMO's of choice.

But anyways, so I basically ran around the area here going to every Gamestop (four in total) and two Best Buy's.  Finally, I found ONE Best Buy that had the PS4 version available.  Most everywhere else just snickered at my pathetic and late attempt to pick one up.  But I'm a happy camper and can't wait to grab it in June.

Also, just to throw this out there, does anyone know of any PS4 ESO Guilds?  Nothing too "hardcore" or "leet", but casual company to tackle content with?

• blondehblondeh Member UncommonPosts: 540

Just play on a PC

Originally posted by blondeh

Just play on a PC

Yes, well, the situation is that my wife and I both play MMO's, and we only have ONE decent rig to do it on, and I gave it to my wife.  I have the Playstation (which I love), so I want to dedicate my time to it.  ESO will be my cherry popping console MMO experience.  I assure you that if I am horrified by the experience, I will never play an MMO on a console ever again.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

Communication on consoles is well catered for and has been for over a decade - voice chat being the norm.

The question is: how will it be handled in TESO.

And I guess people will find out when there are reviews or a beta etc.

• CurragraigueCurragraigue Member UncommonPosts: 84
    Originally posted by gervaise1

Communication on consoles is well catered for and has been for over a decade - voice chat being the norm.

The question is: how will it be handled in TESO.

And I guess people will find out when there are reviews or a beta etc.

I haven't read anything officially from Zenimax regarding chat for consoles but I would expect they will offer one or more of the following for PS4:

1) something similar to FF on PS4 where you can use the touchpad and type or you can use mumble for verbal chat;

2) party chat which is a small group verbal chat (up to 8 people I think but it works really well) supported by PS; or

3) standard in game verbal chat with people that are grouped together.

I'm hoping it is going to be 2 and/or 3 because I agree keyboards and consoles do not go together in my book but I know people that are using them for FF on PS3 and PS4 and think they are great.