Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Story aside, what class has been the most fun to play?

Comments

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

This poll shows the Inquisitor by an overwhelming margin.

But the Consular is a fraction of that. 

aren't these classes basically mirrors of each other?

Well... how to say it... it's a big difference between throwing rocks at enemies and blasting them with purple lightnings.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

This poll shows the Inquisitor by an overwhelming margin.

But the Consular is a fraction of that. 

aren't these classes basically mirrors of each other?

Well... how to say it... it's a big difference between throwing rocks at enemies and blasting them with purple lightnings.

Meh, I guess that really doesn't bother me. The animations aren't bad and it seems more lore appropriate.

I recall a very similar power and animation sequence from City of Heroes back in the day.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

Sorry if this comes across as a troll, but I thought that all light sabre effects were awful.

In the films, if you get hit with a light sabre, a limb falls off or you get cut in half. This adds to the excitement of the film - light sabres are a high risk weapon.

In contrast, in SWTOR, you just see a relatively mild hit point reduction, which is unexciting.

• TolgeranthTolgeranth Member UncommonPosts: 16
    Imperial Agent (Operative) for both story and playstyle. Leveled 6 55's and I always look forward to logging into my Operative. Close second would be my Commando,. Pure asskicking autocannon goodness. The worst playstyle for me was the scoundrel, same skills as the operative but the pistol is not as cool as the vibroblade to the back.
    Originally posted by Mors.Magne

Sorry if this comes across as a troll, but I thought that all light sabre effects were awful.

In the films, if you get hit with a light sabre, a limb falls off or you get cut in half. This adds to the excitement of the film - light sabres are a high risk weapon.

In contrast, in SWTOR, you just see a relatively mild hit point reduction, which is unexciting.

LOL, I hear ya. I am playing and enjoying this game, but it's really not that true to Star Wars Lore. Jedi did not wear armor, nor did they gain strength from it. Lightsabers were in fact a 1 shot/kill weapon. Not in the game. 

The biggest area  of disbelief for me is that Jedi are on a whole different power level than non force users in the movies. Jango Fett  had his hands full just trying to escape Obi Wan.

I have often said, the IP itself (Star Wars) is based on a few individuals who did extraordinary things. Just that alone makes for a rough translation to a game where there are thousands of such heroes.

The biggest laugh for me was when I saw......

Bioware's version of Smuggler vs. Sith Warrior

as opposed to

George Lucas's version of Smuggler vs. Sith Warrior

Originally posted by troick

LOL, I hear ya. I am playing and enjoying this game, but it's really not that true to Star Wars Lore. Jedi did not wear armor, nor did they gain strength from it. Lightsabers were in fact a 1 shot/kill weapon. Not in the game. 

The biggest area  of disbelief for me is that Jedi are on a whole different power level than non force users in the movies. Jango Fett  had his hands full just trying to escape Obi Wan.

I have often said, the IP itself (Star Wars) is based on a few individuals who did extraordinary things. Just that alone makes for a rough translation to a game where there are thousands of such heroes.

The biggest laugh for me was when I saw......

Bioware's version of Smuggler vs. Sith Warrior

as opposed to

George Lucas's version of Smuggler vs. Sith Warrior

Yeah cause when I play cod or bf4 and I get shot 20 times all I have to do is tick behind a wall and I magically heal.  When I'm play wow or lotro and get hit by dragons fireball as long as a healer can heal me I can stay in the fire.  

The biggest disbelief is people actually think this is a negative?  It's a video game just like things in cod or bf4 were changed from  realistic the same thing had to be done for Swtor and every other sw game ever made .  Now that we got that it's not realistic out if the way let's drop this silly chat.  

Silly Chat? 

I acknowledged that it's a video game. It has to be different than the formal IP. But that's what I am saying. To play the game, you have to suspend that particular expectation. 

There is no real way to keep true to Star Wars IP and still have a situation where a Smuggler can fight on par with A Jedi or Sith. Unless you make certain exceptions. Such as  No one's a true jedi and players can have limited force sensitive abilities or everyone's a Jedi/Sith and those aren't the design choices that were made here, so, yeah.......

But just because I have made the choice to accept this difference, doesn't mean it's not real or that I can't acknowledge it. You seem to be getting offended that I pointed out the difference where the game and the original lore differ. I'm not bashing the game for it, but it's still there. So yeah, I'm going to say something about it when it comes up.

Would you prefer that I just say nothing and pretend that it's otherwise?

Every video game we play you have to suspend reality of the IP.  In NHL '14 I can play an entire game with just 5 guys and goalie, need for speed I crash going 218mph and can drive away.  I'm not offended but think (not you) but those who dislike this game will go to the extremes to try and bash it .  That's why I said you can stop reading his comment after the 8th word.  

There is nothing to say we as video game players accept that the video games are not 100% true to realism or IP, but to say Swtor is unexciting because you don't one shot with a lightsaber is a desperate attempt at...

.....acknowledging the difference and maybe getting a little laugh out of it.......Nothing more. It's not like the previous poster said something that has me ready to cancel my sub over. But I'm still open enough to both acknowledge the shortcoming and yet still play the game.

But you seem to be taking an issue with my pointing this out. It's not that what I said was incorrect. but that you personally didn't want to hear it.

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198

.....acknowledging the difference and maybe getting a little laugh out of it.......Nothing more. It's not like the previous poster said something that has me ready to cancel my sub over. But I'm still open enough to both acknowledge the shortcoming and yet still play the game.

But you seem to be taking an issue with my pointing this out. It's not that what I said was incorrect. but that you personally didn't want to hear it.

If it's a "problem," then it is one possessed by almost all games.  Most developers realize that games are supposed to be fun, and that dying and/or being completely incapacitated in one hit (as would be realistic in most combat situations, in any genre) just isn't very fun for most players.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

Originally posted by CazNeerg

If it's a "problem," then it is one possessed by almost all games.  Most developers realize that games are supposed to be fun, and that dying and/or being completely incapacitated in one hit (as would be realistic in most combat situations, in any genre) just isn't very fun for most players.

Why are you assuming that by simply pointing this out, that I want it changed? I know it can't be changed. I know this is the best way for the game to work. But that doesn't change the fact that it's a break from the IP lore. And no, I wouldn't suggest that SWTOR change lightsabers to be one shot one kill weapons. But this is why I said the IP is a bad match for MMORPGs if you want to stay true to lore. There is really little way to make a SW MMORPG work without breaking something somewhere. Does that mean I don't want a Star Wars MMO? Not at all. I already said, I accept this. SWG was another game I really enjoyed. And I had a similar experience there. Meaning , I found things in the game that didn't line up with the IP properly. 

It is what it is. Why is it so bad to discuss it? Does it mean we all need to pack up our stuff and quit now? No. Does it mean I am calling for EA to "fix" this break in the lore? No. But it is real, it is there, and I have every right in an opinion forum to say something about it. As I said, it's there more or less for a laugh at the differences between the 2 visions of the Han Solo vs. Darth Vader confrontation.

FYI, I am trying to put this game in a positive light. It's a lot better than what I've been reading on these boards over the past 2 years. But that doesn't mean there is no room for improvement, or that there are no flaws in it or that we should deny there might be something wrong somewhere. The game can be good in spite of these things.

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

Your poll has the wrong choices in it, an Imperial Agent Operative is VERY different to play to an Imperial Agent Sniper.

My favorite is probably Shadow/Assassin tank, I like the good mix between saber and force skills.

Powertech/Vanguard is also satisfying, again as a tank. Commando/Mercenary is okay, the rest... a little boring. Operative/Scoundrel is great in PvP, but a real pain in PvE. Both Guardian/Jugg and Sentinel/Mara are boring, unbelievably boring... everything else is somewhere in between.

Originally posted by bobfish

Your poll has the wrong choices in it, an Imperial Agent Operative is VERY different to play to an Imperial Agent Sniper.

My favorite is probably Shadow/Assassin tank, I like the good mix between saber and force skills.

Powertech/Vanguard is also satisfying, again as a tank. Commando/Mercenary is okay, the rest... a little boring. Operative/Scoundrel is great in PvP, but a real pain in PvE. Both Guardian/Jugg and Sentinel/Mara are boring, unbelievably boring... everything else is somewhere in between.

Unfortunately, the poll only allows for 10 choices, so there wasn't enough room for advanced class options. I did want to do that.

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198

Why are you assuming that by simply pointing this out, that I want it changed? I know it can't be changed. I know this is the best way for the game to work. But that doesn't change the fact that it's a break from the IP lore. And no, I wouldn't suggest that SWTOR change lightsabers to be one shot one kill weapons. But this is why I said the IP is a bad match for MMORPGs if you want to stay true to lore. There is really little way to make a SW MMORPG work without breaking something somewhere. Does that mean I don't want a Star Wars MMO? Not at all. I already said, I accept this. SWG was another game I really enjoyed. And I had a similar experience there. Meaning , I found things in the game that didn't line up with the IP properly. 

It is what it is. Why is it so bad to discuss it? Does it mean we all need to pack up our stuff and quit now? No. Does it mean I am calling for EA to "fix" this break in the lore? No. But it is real, it is there, and I have every right in an opinion forum to say something about it. As I said, it's there more or less for a laugh at the differences between the 2 visions of the Han Solo vs. Darth Vader confrontation. 

FYI, I am trying to put this game in a positive light. It's a lot better than what I've been reading on these boards over the past 2 years. But that doesn't mean there is no room for improvement, or that there are no flaws in it or that we should deny there might be something wrong somewhere. The game can be good in spite of these things.

I wasn't assuming you wanted it changed, and I wasn't trying to say it was bad to discuss it; I was just pointing out that the same can be said of almost any IP when it is brought into a game, it isn't an issue unique to Star Wars.  There are always sacrifices that have to be made in terms of narrative in order to achieve fun gameplay.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

Originally posted by CazNeerg

I wasn't assuming you wanted it changed, and I wasn't trying to say it was bad to discuss it; I was just pointing out that the same can be said of almost any IP when it is brought into a game, it isn't an issue unique to Star Wars.  There are always sacrifices that have to be made in terms of narrative in order to achieve fun gameplay.

Yeah, I agree with that.

• AtrigoAtrigo Member Posts: 44
    Although I didn't think the story is very good, the Shadow is a blast to play. I am level 43 now with it. It can be a beast of tank. 
  • TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    Tanking as a powertech is tons of fun.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• ImpacthoundImpacthound Member UncommonPosts: 367
    Either form of the Agent, since they had no movie equivalent.
  • BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by Tolgeranth
    Imperial Agent (Operative) for both story and playstyle. Leveled 6 55's and I always look forward to logging into my Operative. Close second would be my Commando,. Pure asskicking autocannon goodness. The worst playstyle for me was the scoundrel, same skills as the operative but the pistol is not as cool as the vibroblade to the back.

Also don't forget it's mainly ( in my eyes ) for M1-4X he is the daddy. You also forgot about double shotgun rounds to the back , scoundrels can be mucho fun :).

Not sure what mine is really , love lightning sorc DPS , commando , merc , powertech tank , sniper , vanguard , most really pretty much equally , hmm the ones I'm not too keen on are probably the single handed lightsaber DPS's both factions a bit meh that really , dual or double lightsabers ftw! 

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    Originally posted by Troikc

Yes I'm sure you would complain also if everything was one shotted with the lighsabers.  Might as well stop reading yours after the 8th word. 

Ignorant much?

He's got a valid point. Lightsabers are formidable weapons and they should be like that in the game as well. It just gets silly when you can do more dmg using a breadknife.

Oh and besides, you can't shoot someone with a melee weapon. One hit kills - but not one shot kills.

Lore adds cortosis to armor, which is resistant to lightsaber strikes. Also, 'cause MMO.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• Fenrir767Fenrir767 Member Posts: 595
    Really enjoying my tanking Jugg as if late so much fun!
  • Fenrir767Fenrir767 Member Posts: 595
    Yeah if people are gonna get one shot by sabers snipers should kill you one shot from across the map, it's an MMO a game you can't replicate that exactly
  • Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by Fenrir767
    Really enjoying my tanking Jugg as if late so much fun!

I do dailies on my tanking jugg with my sniper friend. It's fun I agree - I  love throwing my  saber  and jump to target thing.

Here is my Pureblood Jugg /grin

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

shadow and after that probably jugg

• personally i love my commando. its the first time i have ever played a healer.  i didnt intend to play one at the start but since i had a dps companion to start with i decided to start off as a healer and then respec later but ended up loving it and never changed
  • hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    tough call.. Trooper/Vanguard or Smuggler/Scoundrel for me.. but i guess Vanguard would be the winner since i enjoy it both in PvP & PvE.. the scoundrel i PvP with exclusively.

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    BOUNTY Hunter/Mercenary and Smuggler/Gunslinger .I've always prefered range and those two builds seem to work best for me.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft