Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So what if SOE is using EQNL to help build EQN

KyllienKyllien Member UncommonPosts: 315

I don't get all the negative comments from people about how SOE must be using Landmark as some sort of exploitation of the general public.

If SOE can pull out and release even a mediocre builder game that 1000's of people enjoy and spend money in then who cares if SOE uses some of the content created by players to put into EQN?

Comments

• TbauTbau Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 401

Anyone making those comments must not know much about the 2 games. And that's what they are, 2 games.

Landmark is Minecraft meets MMO. Next is an MMO.

Its actually a great thing that they can use Landmark as a basis point for parts of Next because Next is going to introduce things into the MMO genre that it never had before, destructible environments amongst other things. Landmark is going to be the testing ground for what works and does not work and it can be done in a way that doesn't harm Landmark because of the style of game it is.

I hope more companies do things like this in the future, it will allow them to bring actual innovation to the genre in a way that doesn't end up a disaster by just tossing it into a new MMO without seeing it in an actual working environment. It is well past time for this genre to evolve and leave behind the outdated designs the field has been mired in for so long.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    I think it's a combination of people like to complain, people who like to complain about SoE and those that love to be "whistle blowers" even if nothing is wrong. Others may be genuinely concerned but the system makes sense.

EQN and Landmark being F2P means they need income to maintain a quality product. Since saving money is the same as making money why not host contests where people build structures and SoE hands out prizes for those that are used? Who is being hurt?

If I was SoE I'd have all the entries saved as useable when building out areas. Content is up quicker and it saves money for SoE so they keep EQN/Landmark in top shape. All those invested in said games win.
  • KyllienKyllien Member UncommonPosts: 315

I personally think it is people that don't understand how economics work.

SOE bulids/expands on its current game engine.  They license a couple new technologies to expand the engines capabilties.  Since SOE wants to minimize cost related to developement time they focus a significant amount to build the extra programming layer.  In building this layer they realize they are really making the further developement stuff a lot easier.  Gone are the days that the graphic artists need to spend desining really nice graphics only to have to hand their designs to the programmers.  The programmers then incorporate the design into the game.  Now that graphic artist can work right inside the engine.  They are designing and building the game right inside the sandbox. 

Now since this is the first attempt at building a game at this level they need they realize that they are going to be spending a lot more money early on to perfect the design sandbox.

Then they get a bright idea and Landmark is born.  Since the design sandbox is so easy to use why not make a game out of it.  Why not add some rules to the enigine to provide player isolation then let the player lose into the game world.  Now they have two games in the works.  The first is the sandbox Landmark that will let players explore thier own creations.  The next game will be EQ Next.

They have said that as they complete new game engine components they will bring them over to Landmark and release them to the players. 

Personally I also wish that people would stop equating Landmark with Minecraft.  Only the most rudementary components are anything like Minecraft.  Once we get full NPC control with Storybricks and full instance control like Neverwinter's Foundry then the game will be completely different.

If Landmark can pay for itself and most of the developement for EQ Next what harm is going to come to the players.

The model they are proposing will actually pay players as they buy and sell design templates to each other.

Once they have finished putting all the pieces together they will be able to very quickly start knocking out games left and right all based on the new engine. 

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by Kyllien

I don't get all the negative comments from people about how SOE must be using Landmark as some sort of exploitation of the general public.

If SOE can pull out and release even a mediocre builder game that 1000's of people enjoy and spend money in then who cares if SOE uses some of the content created by players to put into EQN?

Ther are using EQL to test the engine and tools for EQN.. there is nothing negative about that.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

Originally posted by Tbau
    Anyone making those comments must not know much about the 2 games. And that's what they are, 2 games.Landmark is Minecraft meets MMO. Next is an MMO..

actually Landmark pretty much is Next. the developers have even told us as much.

• PyatraPyatra Member Posts: 644
    Originally posted by muffins89

Anyone making those comments must not know much about the 2 games. And that's what they are, 2 games.

actually Landmark pretty much is Next. the developers have even told us as much.

The developers have actually stated that Landmark is the editor and tool set for them actually building EQN.  I'm sure they may have one or two more scripting tools... but other than that you can pretty much make EQN using EQN:L as a regular consumer.  They are just 2 halves of the same game, just releasing at different times.

• Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    Anyone that doesn't think they would use EQN Landmark to build EQN hasn't been paying attention. It was pretty obvious even at the reveal, I think it's a brilliant idea, and I don't understand why anyone would have a problem with it. If I had the skills to build such a magnificent piece within landmark that it would make it's way to EQN, I would have a sense of accomplishment.
  • PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

Personally I also wish that people would stop equating Landmark with Minecraft.  Only the most rudementary components are anything like Minecraft.  Once we get full NPC control with Storybricks and full instance control like Neverwinter's Foundry then the game will be completely different.

Instance control? So will you be able to create your own instance spaces and maybe even modify global rules/mechanics in them?

If so, that would be grand! Basically you'd be able to create your own mini-mmo or online fps or whatever right inside the EQNL shell. I'd definitely buy that for a dollar!

Originally posted by Pilnkplonk

Instance control? So will you be able to create your own instance spaces and maybe even modify global rules/mechanics in them?

If so, that would be grand! Basically you'd be able to create your own mini-mmo or online fps or whatever right inside the EQNL shell. I'd definitely buy that for a dollar!

I remember one quote from Georgeson where he said as part of the final image of Landmark that players would be able to create instances to run their game in.   Basically he is selling the final version of Landmark as a way for players to create thier own EQ Next.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    I'm guessing that claim content will be phased. Since the world knows its natural state, that's why the heal works, phasing will ensure controlled access while also being seemless.

It was said that GMs could make a claim "disappear" by making the plot visually revert back to its natural state while an inappropriate claim is being investigated. In order for players to create content to sell this same idea can be used.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Lmao OP, I was thinking the samething. They are funding EQN off the backs of builders only, and the EQII anti pvp player base. Those people on those forums deserve exactly what they are getting. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100

I think people are jealous that SOE is doing something so smart. It irks them to no end when they hate Sony for SWG and other various offences.

Chamber of Chains
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Its actually a great thing that they can use Landmark as a basis point for parts of Next because Next is going to introduce things into the MMO genre that it never had before, destructible environments amongst other things. Landmark is going to be the testing ground for what works and does not work and it can be done in a way that doesn't harm Landmark because of the style of game it is.

I hope more companies do things like this in the future, it will allow them to bring actual innovation to the genre in a way that doesn't end up a disaster by just tossing it into a new MMO without seeing it in an actual working environment. It is well past time for this genre to evolve and leave behind the outdated designs the field has been mired in for so long.

This is so far from the truth, that it wont be near in the foreseeable. Maybe 6-8 months from now, but telling people that "EQN:L is Minecraft..." is doing this community and Minecraft a disservice. 

The kicker is, no one knows how it will get to that point, we all just hope and speculate on the forums. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • donpopukidonpopuki Member Posts: 591
    It stems from people having a win-lose mindset in terms of economics which is their own psyche projecting their assumptions on how economic exchanges work. Rather it's a win-win scenario, players get to play in a sandbox for free and SOE reaps the players creativity.
    Originally posted by donpopuki
    It stems from people having a win-lose mindset in terms of economics which is their own psyche projecting their assumptions on how economic exchanges work. Rather it's a win-win scenario, players get to play in a sandbox for free and SOE reaps the players creativity.

Players can also get paid for playing Landmark.

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571
    I love the idea of players participating in the development of a game. Either it is gear, armor, maps,dungeons or structures, i feel its a step to the right direction.