Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Third digital expansion - Galactic Strongholds !

Comments

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    I might, MIGHT mind you, give this game another shot but probably because I'm bored and not for "housing" (something I've never been that interested in with regard to MMO's).  I just haven't bothered looking at the F2P model since I quit so long ago now.  I heard you have to re-unlock certain things.  That sounds like work to me.
  • ImpacthoundImpacthound Member UncommonPosts: 367

2.0 is what the majority would consider the first expansion, and even that was light on content. Until I see 3.0, it's a patch, not an expansion. The only reason to debate the semantics is that BioWare is disingenuous with what they're publishing to potential and current customers.

Somewhat amusing that they're pushing the early release back a few weeks to roughly one month after Wildstar's launch; obviously to give them room and try to catch any 1st month drop-offs or returning sci-fi players, but if their housing doesn't have the functionality or flexibility of Wildstar's(and they've already shot down PVP gameplay in them for now) they're not going to win many people back with a slapdash job of housing. Wildstar's housing is not only flexible in item placement, it provides crafting materials, dueling, pve challenges, raid portals for a guild to shortcut to, and you can actually build dungeons into them. Between this and Warplots, BioWare fails to impress. Maybe a later announcement will make waves. *shrug*

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by Impacthound

2.0 is what the majority would consider the first expansion, and even that was light on content. Until I see 3.0, it's a patch, not an expansion. The only reason to debate the semantics is that BioWare is disingenuous with what they're publishing to potential and current customers.

Somewhat amusing that they're pushing the early release back a few weeks to roughly one month after Wildstar's launch; obviously to give them room and try to catch any 1st month drop-offs or returning sci-fi players, but if their housing doesn't have the functionality or flexibility of Wildstar's(and they've already shot down PVP gameplay in them for now) they're not going to win many people back with a slapdash job of housing. Wildstar's housing is not only flexible in item placement, it provides crafting materials, dueling, pve challenges, raid portals for a guild to shortcut to, and you can actually build dungeons into them. Between this and Warplots, BioWare fails to impress. Maybe a later announcement will make waves. *shrug*

Are there really *that* many people currently playing TOR solely because of sci-fi art assets?  Because let's face it, the fact that both have a sci-fi aesthetic and both are played online are just about the only things TOR and Wildstar have in common.  If I had to guess, I would say almost all of the people who would leave TOR to play Wildstar are people who already left TOR without waiting for Wildstar.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

Originally posted by CazNeerg
    Are there really *that* many people currently playing TOR solely because of sci-fi art assets?  Because let's face it, the fact that both have a sci-fi aesthetic and both are played online are just about the only things TOR and Wildstar have in common.  If I had to guess, I would say almost all of the people who would leave TOR to play Wildstar are people who already left TOR without waiting for Wildstar.

I would say yes, but it's purely opinion since you can't really quantify that sort of thing. Even surveys slice too small a selection to really give good data, but I personally find the sci-fi setting refreshing after almost a decade of WoW. Of course there are alternatives to sword-and-sorcery fantasy like Secret World(modern horror) or Eve Online(sci-fi) but neither game does it for me in terms of gameplay, and I wasn't fond of modern horror as an MMO setting(although I liked City of Heroes). When SWG went south from the NGE, City of Heroes/Villains picked up a big chunk of those upset players on the setting alone because they weren't interested in elves & magic, but they found CoH/V a decent alternative as an MMO.

Personally I want to like SWTOR & really like the setting, but mechanically the gameplay is dated and development is poor in my opinion. Wildstar is launching with an IP I don't know, but the gameplay and features are pretty strong offering for a new game in a sci-fi setting I'll probably like.

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791

I would say yes, but it's purely opinion since you can't really quantify that sort of thing. Even surveys slice too small a selection to really give good data, but I personally find the sci-fi setting refreshing after almost a decade of WoW. Of course there are alternatives to sword-and-sorcery fantasy like Secret World(modern horror) or Eve Online(sci-fi) but neither game does it for me in terms of gameplay, and I wasn't fond of modern horror as an MMO setting(although I liked City of Heroes). When SWG went south from the NGE, City of Heroes/Villains picked up a big chunk of those upset players on the setting alone because they weren't interested in elves & magic, but they found CoH/V a decent alternative as an MMO.

Personally I want to like SWTOR & really like the setting, but mechanically the gameplay is dated and development is poor in my opinion. Wildstar is launching with an IP I don't know, but the gameplay and features are pretty strong offering for a new game in a sci-fi setting I'll probably like.

Yeah I went for SWTOR because of the sci-fi element and also because of the lightsabers , my old MMO had basically similar sabers in it PSU. Mind you I'm not sure that all the people playing it play for those reasons , well not everyone. Some play because it's an MMO.

As for Wildstar it doesn't scream sci-fi at me in the slightest , not one iota. I did however love their trailer with that cool VO in it , just reminded me of Dragons lair / Space Ace , the humor and all. The actual game reminds me of those two mentioned and Banjo Kazooie. Now none of those 3 games are bad , it's just i wouldn't play an MMO version of those games. Each to their own though.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

Originally posted by BadOrb

Yeah I went for SWTOR because of the sci-fi element and also because of the lightsabers , my old MMO had basically similar sabers in it PSU. Mind you I'm not sure that all the people playing it play for those reasons , well not everyone. Some play because it's an MMO.

As for Wildstar it doesn't scream sci-fi at me in the slightest , not one iota. I did however love their trailer with that cool VO in it , just reminded me of Dragons lair / Space Ace , the humor and all. The actual game reminds me of those two mentioned and Banjo Kazooie. Now none of those 3 games are bad , it's just i wouldn't play an MMO version of those games. Each to their own though.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

I'm still really bummed PSU2 is still Asia-only. Great series but I'm not going to struggle with Sega thru fan patches and translations.

Wildstar's zones have a lot of sci-fi, but it certainly varies from zone to zone. The starting areas for Mordesh and Aurin are so green and fanciful they can be mistaken for Night Elf zones in WoW, but when you get to the tech areas it definitely catches up quickly. Playing Dominion gives you a solid sci-fi feel in the tutorial with camera droids and TV interviewers and holo-projectors, and one of their starting zones feels a lot like the anime Tri-Gun, so it can vary. By the same token SWTOR is a little too fantasy-like and religious/primitive on planets like Voss or Ord Mantell to someone who isn't a die-hard Star Wars fan. It goes both ways.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

I'm still really bummed PSU2 is still Asia-only. Great series but I'm not going to struggle with Sega thru fan patches and translations.

Wildstar's zones have a lot of sci-fi, but it certainly varies from zone to zone. The starting areas for Mordesh and Aurin are so green and fanciful they can be mistaken for Night Elf zones in WoW, but when you get to the tech areas it definitely catches up quickly. Playing Dominion gives you a solid sci-fi feel in the tutorial with camera droids and TV interviewers and holo-projectors, and one of their starting zones feels a lot like the anime Tri-Gun, so it can vary. By the same token SWTOR is a little too fantasy-like and religious/primitive on planets like Voss or Ord Mantell to someone who isn't a die-hard Star Wars fan. It goes both ways.

Yeah me too , think you meant PSO2 , we are getting an English version very soon , it seems the closed beta starts 4-7 April, but again it is an asian version , Asiasoft.

O right so it does get a bit more sci-fi like , well that's cool. There a bit of fantasy within SWTOR I guess , not much but yeah a little. I can still fire ma lazors though :)

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

I REALLY need to know what will be going on with these guild capital ships................. any new info yet?

Already installed the game today, will resub in May when this comes out. I was waiting for housing, this will make this game so much better.

Now please add some life to the old planets, day night cycles please.......give me immersion

Originally posted by DocBrody

I REALLY need to know what will be going on with these guild capital ships................. any new info yet?

Already installed the game today, will resub in May when this comes out. I was waiting for housing, this will make this game so much better.

Now please add some life to the old planets, day night cycles please.......give me immersion

Nothing yet ,o and don't forget to subb before May 4th as you will get 1000 CC extra :). Here's a player housing video explaining what some of the items in your rooms might be.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Nothing yet ,o and don't forget to subb before May 4th as you will get 1000 CC extra :). Here's a player housing video explaining what some of the items in your rooms might be.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

yep, I plan to do so on May the Force, uhmm, May the Fourth. :D

video looks cool. Really every MMO should have some sort of housing, I think it is a core feature to have more loot variety and things to craft.

I wonder if 1000 cartel coins will buy me a nice sofa for my Nar Shadaa apartment

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

Given the serious lack of sci-fi MMOS in the market..it was one of the main selling point for me and still is. 

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

Cheers,

BadOrb.

video looks cool. Really every MMO should have some sort of housing, I think it is a core feature to have more loot variety and things to craft.

I wonder if 1000 cartel coins will buy me a nice sofa for my Nar Shadaa apartment

If you sub before April 2nd you will get additional 500 CC.  But 500 CC is not a big deal, subbing before may 11th is more important, to get free Nar Shaddaa Sky Palace with unlocked 3 rooms worth 1.5 million credits.

How will I be able to gain ownership of Personal Strongholds in the game?

You will be able to purchase ownership of Personal Strongholds with credits you earn in-game or with Cartel Coins in the Cartel Market. For a limited time, Subscribers as of May 11, 2014, receive a complimentary unlock of the luxurious Nar Shaddaa Stronghold plus THREE ADDITIONAL ROOMS ALREADY UNLOCKED (no purchase necessary – a value of 1,500,000 credits)! Subscribers as of June 24th gain a complimentary unlock of the Nar Shaddaa Stronghold (minus the additional rooms) through July 28th.

How will I be able to collect furniture and decorations in the game?

You will earn a set of starter decorations when you purchase your first Stronghold. Many decorations will be available on existing vendors throughout the game as new rewards for Reputations, PvP, Crew Skills, and more. While some of these decorations will be available for credits and other currencies, many will require components created by crafters. Decorations can also be obtained as loot drops from Flashpoints and Operations. Finally, a variety of unique decorations can be purchased with Cartel Coins on the Cartel Market.

No PvP with Guild Plagships in this expansion...

Can my guild fight other guilds in Space PvP with our Guild Flagship?

No, this Digital Expansion does not include a PvP combat experience for Guild Flagships. More information about Guild Flagships will be revealed in the coming months.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Why not craft your own sofas ;)

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    Indeed. That is all.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Many decorations will be available on existing vendors throughout the game as new rewards for Reputations, PvP, Crew Skills, and more. While some of these decorations will be available for credits and other currencies, many will require components created by crafters.

Not sure what they mean by components LOL.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by bobdole1979
    Originally posted by funcon
    class skill tree is so WoW 2004. There has to be a better more fun way to advance your class.

such as......

oh and its always been 1 loading screen from your ship to the fleet.  its also 1 loading screen from any planet to the fleet so you know good try

Such as TSW's, Wushu's, EVE's, ESO's. Really just about any of the solutions post Swtor's blatant copy of the WoW "simplifed" 31 point tress, the one's Blizzard said were a bad idea. 

1 loading screen, yeah right. >ship>docking bay>out of docking bay. 3 load screens which at the time took me on a old computer about 3 minutes everytime.

That being said, I enjoyed swtor's combat back then. To bad Illum failed due to terrible design and they decided to all but eliminate Wpvp. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Originally posted by Sevenstar61
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Many decorations will be available on existing vendors throughout the game as new rewards for Reputations, PvP, Crew Skills, and more. While some of these decorations will be available for credits and other currencies, many will require components created by crafters.

Not sure what they mean by components LOL.

perhaps you craft something like parts that would be used in a holocommunicator and trade those parts to the vendor for the completed product

Originally posted by bcbully
    class skill tree is so WoW 2004. There has to be a better more fun way to advance your class.

such as......

oh and its always been 1 loading screen from your ship to the fleet.  its also 1 loading screen from any planet to the fleet so you know good try

Such as TSW's, Wushu's, EVE's, ESO's. Really just about any of the solutions post Swtor's blatant copy of the WoW "simplifed" 31 point tress, the one's Blizzard said were a bad idea. 

1 loading screen, yeah right. >ship>docking bay>out of docking bay. 3 load screens which at the time took me on a old computer about 3 minutes everytime.

That being said, I enjoyed swtor's combat back then. To bad Illum failed due to terrible design and they decided to all but eliminate Wpvp. 

Well you might be in luck then .... bit off topic but yeah

"Something is in the works for World PvP that’s "really cool" related to rewards on a global scale. It won’t be anything like Ilum though.." quote from the very recent Cantina tour.

Some Guild ship information , nothing much but this..

"Guild ship battles is on the Wall of Crazy (WoC)" quote again from blah di blah di blah.

http://dulfy.net/2014/03/23/swtor-boulder-colorado-cantina-tour-flashdrive-files/

Cheers,

BadOrb.

such as......

"Something is in the works for World PvP that’s "really cool" related to rewards on a global scale. It won’t be anything like Ilum though.." quote from the very recent Cantina tour.

"Guild ship battles is on the Wall of Crazy (WoC)" quote again from blah di blah di blah.

http://dulfy.net/2014/03/23/swtor-boulder-colorado-cantina-tour-flashdrive-files/

Cheers,

BadOrb.

so housing, guild ships and Legacy bank is now off the "WoC", guess that means next up are Pazzaak, day night cycles and speeder revamps plus open world racing :-D

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Surprised to hear about the level cap increase. The power creep is going to get exponential and stats are going to get bonkers. I wonder how long BioWare will be able to go before they're forced to do a stat squish like WoW is now? Since their game engine was literally hitting number caps and the totals were getting so large they were going to start lagging the servers as too complicated to compute. It took them 4 level cap increases and this will be SWTOR's second, so they must have room for one or two more depending on the Hero Engine's limitations.

such as......

Cheers,

BadOrb.

so housing, guild ships and Legacy bank is now off the "WoC", guess that means next up are Pazzaak, day night cycles and speeder revamps plus open world racing :-D

Open world racing would be very welcomed and don't forget chat bubbles!

Cheers,

BadOrb.

such as......

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Open world racing would be very welcomed and don't forget chat bubbles!

Cheers,

BadOrb.

I might be right with my prediction, when SWTOR is at version number 5.0 it will be pretty much complete with all the crazy stuff that got requested over the years.

The advantage of playing "older" MMOs instead of flavor of the month new releases.

I might be right with my prediction, when SWTOR is at version number 5.0 it will be pretty much complete with all the crazy stuff that got requested over the years.

The advantage of playing "older" MMOs instead of flavor of the month new releases.

That's a big what-if when the game is still in the 2.x range. Hopefully 3.0 by the end of this year, depending on how they want to move forward with what they call expansions, since GSF was only 2.6, not 3.0.

Although by your logic, WoW and EQ2 will still be dominating the gamespace with the extra 7 years of features they had a head start on. Or Wildstar gets a boost from launching with all the things other MMOs seem to think it's okay to patch in later.

• bobdole1979bobdole1979 Member Posts: 210

such as......

serioulsy TSW?  The wheel?  Which is nothing more then a bunch of talent trees put in a circle? 

You just lost all creditblity.  

Illum didn't fail btw you should try it its a huge hit now.  But good job trying to recycle old hypberbole. 

Oh and blizz didn't say the talent trees were a bad idea the problem was they have 90 levels and they designed it so every level you got a new talent or ablity.  They realized they had too much bloat and needed to simplfiy it. 

once again good try at trying to make stuff up.

Yes 1 loading screen its called fleet pass.  Wow 3 minuets?  Even on my old laptop it doesn't take that long

You just lost all creditblity.  

Illum didn't fail btw you should try it its a huge hit now.  But good job trying to recycle old hypberbole. 

What?! On what server is Illum active with pvp, because it's not the PVP servers like POT5. A small portion of the playerbase hit the dailies there because they're easy and a good way to skip Makeb, but nobody actively PVPs there and haven't in over a year.